PDA

View Full Version : Best Kitty Food for Diabetic Cat? WELLNESS=no longer good!

Julia
May 27th 06, 01:14 AM
Wellness was bought out -
And DM is not as good as the wellness.

Wondering what a good cat food would be to buy, less carbs, human
quality, etc.....wellness used to be......buy not anymore.

Thanks!

PawsForThought
May 27th 06, 02:17 AM
Julia wrote:
> Wellness was bought out -
> And DM is not as good as the wellness.
>
> Wondering what a good cat food would be to buy, less carbs, human
> quality, etc.....wellness used to be......buy not anymore.
>
> Thanks!

You might want to try Evo. I believe info can be found here:
www.naturapet.com

---MIKE---
May 27th 06, 05:22 PM
Wellness was NOT bought out. It is still part of Old Mother Hubbard and
is as good as ever. My female cat (Amber) would refuse to eat it if it
was not as good.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Phil P.
May 27th 06, 05:32 PM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Julia wrote:
> > Wellness was bought out -
> > And DM is not as good as the wellness.
> >
> > Wondering what a good cat food would be to buy, less carbs, human
> > quality, etc.....wellness used to be......buy not anymore.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> You might want to try Evo. I believe info can be found here:

Evo isn't a good choice for a diabetic cat. Instead of grains, they use
potatoes which have a much higher glycemic index.

For diabetic cats, I've had fabulous results with Fancy Feast Seafood Filets
Tuna & Oceanfish Feast in Aspic-- zero carbs, and a good phosphorus level
(0.72% DM/0.16% AF). Got many cats off insulin completely with the stuff!
Another alternative is canned kitten food or canned m/d.

Phil

Corey Kaye
May 27th 06, 06:54 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> Evo isn't a good choice for a diabetic cat. Instead of grains, they
> use potatoes which have a much higher glycemic index.

There's no potato in Evo canned food. The dry does list potatoes as the
fifth ingredient.

From naturapet.com:

Evo cat/kitten canned:
Turkey
Chicken
Turkey Broth
Chicken Broth
Chicken Meal
Herring
Carrots
Whole Eggs
Salmon Meal
Natural Flavors
Guar Gum
Seaweed Extract
Apples
Tomato Flakes
Cottage Cheese
Herring Oil
Potassium Chloride
Apple Fiber
Inulin
Vitamin C
Sea Salt
Choline Chloride
Sunflower Oil
Beta Carotene
Vitamins/Minerals

Corey

Phil P.
May 27th 06, 11:42 PM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
> Phil P. wrote:
>
> > Evo isn't a good choice for a diabetic cat. Instead of grains, they
> > use potatoes which have a much higher glycemic index.
>
> There's no potato in Evo canned food. The dry does list potatoes as the
> fifth ingredient.

I don't like any Evo product. The phosphorus content of the canned food is
ridiculous- over 2% DMB. That's good if you need to find your cat in the
dark.

Trish
May 28th 06, 12:39 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
> > Phil P. wrote:
> >
> > > Evo isn't a good choice for a diabetic cat. Instead of grains,
they
> > > use potatoes which have a much higher glycemic index.
> >
> > There's no potato in Evo canned food. The dry does list potatoes as
the
> > fifth ingredient.
>
> I don't like any Evo product. The phosphorus content of the canned
food is
> ridiculous- over 2% DMB. That's good if you need to find your cat in
the
> dark.

lol good one!

Corey Kaye
May 28th 06, 01:00 AM
Phil P. wrote:

> I don't like any Evo product. The phosphorus content of the canned
> food is ridiculous- over 2% DMB. That's good if you need to find
> your cat in the dark.

Hey, I don't feed the stuff ;)

I did get an email from the Innova people not that long ago with DMA for
Innova, Innova Lite and Evo. Oddly, there's no column for Evo canned!

Corey

cybercat
May 28th 06, 01:07 AM
"Trish" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> they
> > >
> > > There's no potato in Evo canned food. The dry does list potatoes as
> the
> > > fifth ingredient.
> >
> > I don't like any Evo product. The phosphorus content of the canned
> food is
> > ridiculous- over 2% DMB. That's good if you need to find your cat in
> the
> > dark.
> >
> lol good one!

I thought so too. :)

Phil P.
May 28th 06, 05:55 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> Phil P. wrote:
>
> > I don't like any Evo product. The phosphorus content of the canned
> > food is ridiculous- over 2% DMB. That's good if you need to find
> > your cat in the dark.
>
> Hey, I don't feed the stuff ;)
>
> I did get an email from the Innova people not that long ago with DMA for
> Innova, Innova Lite and Evo. Oddly, there's no column for Evo canned!
>
> Corey

I don't know what's going on with Innova now. Innova Lite canned used to be
good alternative for CRF cats that wouldn't eat renal diets because the P+
was very low- about 0.60% DMB. The new formulation is now a whopping 1.6%
DMB (0.36% AF). That means they're using lower quality chicken and turkey
that contains a lot of bone. Now, I have to suspect their entire line.

Julia
May 29th 06, 09:01 AM
Thanks for some of the tips...

I thought Fancy Feast was good, but high in that phosphosrus or
something...my db kitty, has never needed insulin but since Wellness
changed, I had to switch..and his water intake increased a bit...

Have been feeding him like half can meat (Purinia/Friskies and 1/4 can
tuna....would give my cat filet migion, price is no object, seems to
work - -will look into the Fancy Feast again....been diabetic for
about 2 years.....

Anyway, regarding wellness, I was told by my local pet store they
where bough up by another company and one of the things NO LONGER on
the label HUMAN GRADE QUALITY, this is missing now.
The Beef and Chicken used to be meaty, now it's like a whipped
paste.....plus it looks to have lots of sweet potatoes in it.

Their also use to be a list sugarkittys.com or something, anyone know
where that list is, maybe this is one of the posts that someone had a
link on it....just wonderin what makes the Fancy Feast so good for
them if it keeps them off insulin and prolongs healthy life - -don't
they need a little carbs?

I suppose not, they are carnovours (spelling),

will keep you posted......

Please tell me more about the fancy feast....plus, I feed him 2 times
a day which seems to help (12 hours, to keep levels steady), also,
what amount should he get? (How many cans) He is a Maine Coon cat, not
FAT by any means but weighs about 15-18 lbs....Big kitty, almost like
a racoon, only much slimmer.

thanks again for all the help!!!

:-)

Thanks!On Sat, 27 May 2006 12:22:04 -0400,
(---MIKE---) wrote:

>Wellness was NOT bought out. It is still part of Old Mother Hubbard and
>is as good as ever. My female cat (Amber) would refuse to eat it if it
>was not as good.
>

> ---MIKE---
>>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

---MIKE---
May 29th 06, 04:34 PM
I sent Julia's comments to Linda at Old Mother Hubbard. She sent me
this response: