PDA

View Full Version : i found my cat mimicking the bird outside today !!! never heard of this

cybercat
May 26th 06, 05:03 PM
"nicole1976" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> my cat loves to bird watch. today she was sitting on the window sil and
> all
> of a sudden i hear this bird chirping and then i look over to my cat and i
> see her mouth opening and closing and i thought she was choking or
> something
> weird noises were coming out of her mouth. and i began to listen. she
> was
> mimicking the bird. they were going back and forth. its like they were
> talking. she sounded just like the bird. ive never heard of this before.
> is this a way a cat calls their prey to them by mimcking ? its pretty
> funny.
> is this normal behavior?

Yep! One theory is that they are practicing the "killing bite" that they
break
the bird's neck with.

Many call it chattering or chirping.

nicole1976
May 27th 06, 02:35 AM
my cat loves to bird watch. today she was sitting on the window sil and all
of a sudden i hear this bird chirping and then i look over to my cat and i
see her mouth opening and closing and i thought she was choking or something
weird noises were coming out of her mouth. and i began to listen. she was
mimicking the bird. they were going back and forth. its like they were
talking. she sounded just like the bird. ive never heard of this before.
is this a way a cat calls their prey to them by mimcking ? its pretty funny.
is this normal behavior?

May 27th 06, 05:57 AM
nicole1976 wrote:
> my cat loves to bird watch. today she was sitting on the window sil and all
> of a sudden i hear this bird chirping and then i look over to my cat and i
> see her mouth opening and closing and i thought she was choking or something
> weird noises were coming out of her mouth. and i began to listen. she was
> mimicking the bird. they were going back and forth. its like they were
> talking. she sounded just like the bird. ive never heard of this before.
> is this a way a cat calls their prey to them by mimcking ? its pretty funny.
> is this normal behavior?

i have heard of bird imitating cats but not vice versa. this might be
revolutionary. can you record this and send it to where, cornell's
ornithology lab?

nicole1976
May 27th 06, 06:31 AM
wow, interesting. never knew they could create the exact sound. ill have to
record. thank you for the info!!

cybercat wrote:
>> my cat loves to bird watch. today she was sitting on the window sil and
>> all
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>> funny.
>> is this normal behavior?
>
>Yep! One theory is that they are practicing the "killing bite" that they
>break
>the bird's neck with.
>
>Many call it chattering or chirping.

cybercat
May 27th 06, 04:30 PM
"Barb" > wrote in message
rio.net...
> My cats all love to do what I call their bird call. I think they do it to
> try to get the birds to come to them!

I like to talk back from the birds. :) "haha, look at the stupid cat, stuck
in the house, can't get me, neener neener tweet tweet!"

Barb
May 27th 06, 05:23 PM

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

nicole1976 via CatKB.com
May 27th 06, 08:38 PM
thanks thata what i thought!.

Barb wrote:
>My cats all love to do what I call their bird call. I think they do it to
>try to get the birds to come to them!
>
>--
>Barb
>Of course I don't look busy,
>I did it right the first time.

nicole1976 via CatKB.com
May 27th 06, 08:40 PM
i wouldnt say stupid cat. i have a very smart cat who is in the house for a
reason. i dont want cat who gets fleas and ticks as well as rabies etc.
from rats and other animals outside. thanks you very much. if you have
nothing nice to say please dont respond to my posting

cybercat wrote:
>> My cats all love to do what I call their bird call. I think they do it to
>> try to get the birds to come to them!
>
>I like to talk back from the birds. :) "haha, look at the stupid cat, stuck
>in the house, can't get me, neener neener tweet tweet!"

May 27th 06, 09:58 PM
"nicole1976 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> i wouldnt say stupid cat. i have a very smart cat who is in the house for
> reason. i dont want cat who gets fleas and ticks as well as rabies etc.
> from rats and other animals outside. thanks you very much. if you have
> nothing nice to say please dont respond to my posting

:) Topping off the scales with that IQ, are we? First, I was responding
to Barb's comment, not to you. Second, I was repeating what I pretend
the birds are saying to MY cat as she chatters through the screen at
them some mornings. Third, I am a strong advocate of indoor-only
puddy tats.

May 27th 06, 09:59 PM
"nicole1976 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> thanks thata what i thought!.

And fourth, do you HAVE to type as though English were your second language?

I still think that there is something about logging in to
Cat KB that lowers the IQ.

nicole1976 via CatKB.com
May 28th 06, 12:03 AM
hmmm. my question was answered. thank you barb and to the others for
answering and helping out!!

cybercat wrote:
>> thanks thata what i thought!.
>
>And fourth, do you HAVE to type as though English were your second language?
>
>I still think that there is something about logging in to
>Cat KB that lowers the IQ.

May 28th 06, 01:08 AM
"nicole1976 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> hmmm. my question was answered. thank you barb and to the others for
> answering and helping out!!
>
> cybercat wrote:
> >> thanks thata what i thought!.
> >
> >And fourth, do you HAVE to type as though English were your second
language?

> >I still think that there is something about logging in to
> >Cat KB that lowers the IQ.

Your welcome. :D