PDA

View Full Version : Broken tooth

Judy
May 28th 06, 05:48 AM
Matilda has a broken upper canine (at the gum line) and has an appointment
with a feline dentist first thing Monday morning.

From my readings it would appear that a surgical extraction will be in
order, either that or a root canal. Poor Matilda!

Does anyone have any input when it comes to these broken teeth?

Judy & Matilda

Rhonda
May 28th 06, 06:00 AM
Yep!

Bear just broke an upper canine.

The vet said it normally has to be broken to a certain point, usually
less than half, before it can become a problem and need to be removed.
They x-rayed him just to be sure, and his tooth is staying in (it's
about 1/3rd broken.)

I would imagine they will take Matilda's out right away to prevent
infection.

Good luck to her!

Rhonda

Judy wrote:

> Matilda has a broken upper canine (at the gum line) and has an appointment
> with a feline dentist first thing Monday morning.
>
> From my readings it would appear that a surgical extraction will be in
> order, either that or a root canal. Poor Matilda!
>
> Does anyone have any input when it comes to these broken teeth?
>
> Judy & Matilda

Judy
May 28th 06, 06:22 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Yep!
>
> Bear just broke an upper canine.
>
> The vet said it normally has to be broken to a certain point, usually less
> than half, before it can become a problem and need to be removed. They
> x-rayed him just to be sure, and his tooth is staying in (it's about 1/3rd
> broken.)
>
> I would imagine they will take Matilda's out right away to prevent
> infection.
>
> Good luck to her!

Than you Rhonda!

I haven't told Matilda about her appointment yet, but I think she knows.
Over the past week she's been stuffing herself with more food than usual as
if she's anticipating having to live off body fat because her mouth will be
sore and won't feel much like eating.

I'm not looking forward to Monday, but I know this is a must.

Judy

> Judy wrote:
>
>> Matilda has a broken upper canine (at the gum line) and has an
>> appointment
>> with a feline dentist first thing Monday morning.
>>
>> From my readings it would appear that a surgical extraction will be in
>> order, either that or a root canal. Poor Matilda!
>>
>> Does anyone have any input when it comes to these broken teeth?
>>
>> Judy & Matilda

Trish
May 28th 06, 06:32 AM
"Judy" > wrote in message

> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
> > Yep!
> >
> > Bear just broke an upper canine.
> >
> > The vet said it normally has to be broken to a certain point,
usually less
> > than half, before it can become a problem and need to be removed.
They
> > x-rayed him just to be sure, and his tooth is staying in (it's about
1/3rd
> > broken.)
> >
> > I would imagine they will take Matilda's out right away to prevent
> > infection.
> >
> > Good luck to her!
>
> Than you Rhonda!
>
> I haven't told Matilda about her appointment yet, but I think she
knows.
> Over the past week she's been stuffing herself with more food than
usual as
> if she's anticipating having to live off body fat because her mouth
will be
> sore and won't feel much like eating.
>
> I'm not looking forward to Monday, but I know this is a must.
>
> Judy
>
> > Judy wrote:
> >
> >> Matilda has a broken upper canine (at the gum line) and has an
> >> appointment
> >> with a feline dentist first thing Monday morning.
> >>
> >> From my readings it would appear that a surgical extraction will be
in
> >> order, either that or a root canal. Poor Matilda!
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any input when it comes to these broken teeth?
> >>
> >> Judy & Matilda

One of mine had a broken canine removed at the vet's, trust me it did
not affect his eating at all, I fed him only wet food for about 10 days.
I love his goofy one tooth grin.

Judy
May 28th 06, 02:53 PM
"Trish" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Judy" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>> > Yep!
>> >
>> > Bear just broke an upper canine.
>> >
>> > The vet said it normally has to be broken to a certain point,
> usually less
>> > than half, before it can become a problem and need to be removed.
> They
>> > x-rayed him just to be sure, and his tooth is staying in (it's about
> 1/3rd
>> > broken.)
>> >
>> > I would imagine they will take Matilda's out right away to prevent
>> > infection.
>> >
>> > Good luck to her!
>>
>> Than you Rhonda!
>>
>> I haven't told Matilda about her appointment yet, but I think she
> knows.
>> Over the past week she's been stuffing herself with more food than
> usual as
>> if she's anticipating having to live off body fat because her mouth
> will be
>> sore and won't feel much like eating.
>>
>> I'm not looking forward to Monday, but I know this is a must.
>>
>> Judy

> in

> One of mine had a broken canine removed at the vet's, trust me it did
> not affect his eating at all, I fed him only wet food for about 10 days.
> I love his goofy one tooth grin.

That's reassuring. :c) Then again, not much can come between cats and their
food. :c)

The grin certainly if a goofy one.

Julia
May 29th 06, 09:03 AM
Sometimes, they can do without the root canal, it's up to the vet to
determine.......

:-)

On Sun, 28 May 2006 09:53:54 -0400, "Judy"
> wrote:

>"Trish" > wrote in message
.. .

>> usually less
>> They
>> 1/3rd

>>> Than you Rhonda!
>>>
>>> I haven't told Matilda about her appointment yet, but I think she
>> knows.
>>> Over the past week she's been stuffing herself with more food than
>> usual as
>>> if she's anticipating having to live off body fat because her mouth
>> will be
>>> sore and won't feel much like eating.
>>>
>>> I'm not looking forward to Monday, but I know this is a must.
>>>
>>> Judy

>> in

>> One of mine had a broken canine removed at the vet's, trust me it did
>> not affect his eating at all, I fed him only wet food for about 10 days.
>> I love his goofy one tooth grin.
>
>That's reassuring. :c) Then again, not much can come between cats and their
>food. :c)
>
>The grin certainly if a goofy one.

Judy
May 31st 06, 03:48 AM
"Trish" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Judy" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>> > Yep!
>> >
>> > Bear just broke an upper canine.
>> >
>> > The vet said it normally has to be broken to a certain point,
> usually less
>> > than half, before it can become a problem and need to be removed.
> They
>> > x-rayed him just to be sure, and his tooth is staying in (it's about
> 1/3rd
>> > broken.)
>> >
>> > I would imagine they will take Matilda's out right away to prevent
>> > infection.
>> >
>> > Good luck to her!
>>
>> Than you Rhonda!
>>
>> I haven't told Matilda about her appointment yet, but I think she
> knows.
>> Over the past week she's been stuffing herself with more food than
> usual as
>> if she's anticipating having to live off body fat because her mouth
> will be
>> sore and won't feel much like eating.
>>
>> I'm not looking forward to Monday, but I know this is a must.
>>
>> Judy

> in

> One of mine had a broken canine removed at the vet's, trust me it did
> not affect his eating at all, I fed him only wet food for about 10 days.
> I love his goofy one tooth grin.

Matilda saw the dentist yesterday and it was mutually agreed that the route
take would be the least invasive - a root canal. While she was under, her
teeth were also thoroughly cleaned and polished.

She came through it with flying colours and will be on wet food and pain
pills for 5 days.

Her teeth are a brilliant white and she has no goofy grin. The dentist told
me that one of the results of an extraction, would have been a goofy grin
due to removal of bone. The lack of support causes tissue to change
position, often leaving the lower canine showing.

Trish
May 31st 06, 05:32 AM
"Judy" > wrote in message

> "Trish" > wrote in message
> .. .

> > usually less
> > They
> > 1/3rd

> >> Than you Rhonda!
> >>
> >> I haven't told Matilda about her appointment yet, but I think she
> > knows.
> >> Over the past week she's been stuffing herself with more food than
> > usual as
> >> if she's anticipating having to live off body fat because her
mouth
> > will be
> >> sore and won't feel much like eating.
> >>
> >> I'm not looking forward to Monday, but I know this is a must.
> >>
> >> Judy

> > in

> > One of mine had a broken canine removed at the vet's, trust me it
did
> > not affect his eating at all, I fed him only wet food for about 10
days.
> > I love his goofy one tooth grin.
>
> Matilda saw the dentist yesterday and it was mutually agreed that the
route
> take would be the least invasive - a root canal. While she was under,
her
> teeth were also thoroughly cleaned and polished.
>
> She came through it with flying colours and will be on wet food and
pain
> pills for 5 days.
>
> Her teeth are a brilliant white and she has no goofy grin. The dentist
told
> me that one of the results of an extraction, would have been a goofy
grin
> due to removal of bone. The lack of support causes tissue to change
> position, often leaving the lower canine showing.

Hey congrats to Matilda :) Unfortunately when I found my goofy grinner
his tooth was already cracked and decay had set in, the best choice was
extraction, but he's happy and awwww I just love him. I'm still trying
to get a pic of his grin when I do I'll link it so you can see :)

Judy
June 1st 06, 04:09 AM
"Trish" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Judy" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Trish" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> > usually less
>> > They
> about
>> > 1/3rd

> prevent

>> > knows.
>> > usual as
> mouth
>> > will be

> be
>> > in

>> > One of mine had a broken canine removed at the vet's, trust me it
> did
>> > not affect his eating at all, I fed him only wet food for about 10
> days.
>> > I love his goofy one tooth grin.
>>
>> Matilda saw the dentist yesterday and it was mutually agreed that the
> route
>> take would be the least invasive - a root canal. While she was under,
> her
>> teeth were also thoroughly cleaned and polished.
>>
>> She came through it with flying colours and will be on wet food and
> pain
>> pills for 5 days.
>>
>> Her teeth are a brilliant white and she has no goofy grin. The dentist
> told
>> me that one of the results of an extraction, would have been a goofy
> grin
>> due to removal of bone. The lack of support causes tissue to change
>> position, often leaving the lower canine showing.
>>

> Hey congrats to Matilda :) Unfortunately when I found my goofy grinner
> his tooth was already cracked and decay had set in, the best choice was
> extraction, but he's happy and awwww I just love him. I'm still trying
> to get a pic of his grin when I do I'll link it so you can see :)

I'll look forward to it - and good luck!! :c)

Judy