PDA

View Full Version : Loss of fur due to scratching

gerri via CatKB.com
May 28th 06, 11:07 PM
We have a 6 1/2 year old female who tends to scratch the fur off her skin in
areas on her back, sides, and rear underbelly around her legs. We have taken
her to the Vet. He gave her a temporary solution of a cortisone shot. He
also recommended flea drops instead of the collars we were using. We use the
flea drops now on all our cats. What is weird is that her 2 daughters are
fine and not doing this excessive scratching. I cannot afford to shuttle her
to the Vet every time she loses hair.

May 28th 06, 11:23 PM
"gerri via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> We have a 6 1/2 year old female who tends to scratch the fur off her skin
in
> areas on her back, sides, and rear underbelly around her legs. We have
taken
> her to the Vet. He gave her a temporary solution of a cortisone shot. He
> also recommended flea drops instead of the collars we were using. We use
the
> flea drops now on all our cats. What is weird is that her 2 daughters are
> fine and not doing this excessive scratching. I cannot afford to shuttle
her
> to the Vet every time she loses hair.

She is probably allergic to something. Get her on good canned food
(meat as the first ingredient, no wheat gluten or corn) and give her
2 mgs of Chlortrimeton every 12 hours, just the allergy kind, not
the "D" or decongestant kind. See thread above, "I have a question."

Also, cats do this if they are upset about something. I had a cat that
was going bald (your cat is likely licking the fur of her belly etc) until I
figured out why she was overgrooming. (My other cat had started
invading her turf every night, sleeping on her bed. I stopped that by
visiting with the other cat downstairs, voila, no more overgrooming,
fur grew back in.)

P.S. My cat also gets the Depo Medrol shots, and you are wise to
keep them to a minimum, they have bad side effects when used too
much--like diabetes.

May 29th 06, 05:13 AM
gerri via CatKB.com wrote:
> We have a 6 1/2 year old female who tends to scratch the fur off her skin in
> areas on her back, sides, and rear underbelly around her legs. We have taken
> her to the Vet. He gave her a temporary solution of a cortisone shot. He
> also recommended flea drops instead of the collars we were using. We use the
> flea drops now on all our cats. What is weird is that her 2 daughters are
> fine and not doing this excessive scratching. I cannot afford to shuttle her
> to the Vet every time she loses hair.

does not have parasites like giardia or cryptosporidium?