PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Petsmart

May 29th 06, 02:48 PM
I took Ray in to get his claws clipped (He likes the woman that does it
at the local store, and I have been trying to broach the subject of how
she might like me for awhile, but that's another story for another
message board) and it turns out Ray DOES have fleas.

He's an indoor cat and I'm a pretty clean bachelor, so I'm not sure how
he got them, but the problem right now is how to get rid of them.

I've been using something called "Sergeants's Silver Squeeze-on" to
make sure he didn't get them, but that obviously doesn't work very
well. Does anyone here have any suggestions? Petsmart said possibly
trying "Advantage" next time and that flea collars wouldn't do much,
but I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas...

May 29th 06, 03:09 PM
And if anybody wants to see what I lovingly call "The Speed Bump on my
way to sleep", I have a photo album at
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/furbycollins2000/album?.dir=71c3re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Magic Mood JeepŠ
May 29th 06, 03:26 PM
wrote:
> I took Ray in to get his claws clipped (He likes the woman that does
> it at the local store, and I have been trying to broach the subject
> of how she might like me for awhile, but that's another story for
> another message board) and it turns out Ray DOES have fleas.
>
> He's an indoor cat and I'm a pretty clean bachelor, so I'm not sure
> how he got them, but the problem right now is how to get rid of them.
>
> I've been using something called "Sergeants's Silver Squeeze-on" to
> make sure he didn't get them, but that obviously doesn't work very
> well. Does anyone here have any suggestions? Petsmart said possibly
> trying "Advantage" next time and that flea collars wouldn't do much,
> but I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas...

Advantage or Frontline is certainly better than any over-the-counter flea
meds (don't ever buy any Hartz flea meds - they have been know to make ill
or even kill pets!). Both are available at your vet's or from online
sources (Drs Foster & Smith or 1-800-pet-meds, for example). Flea collars
are pretty much useless, except at possibly harming your cat, or for cutting
up and stuffing down inside sofas and chairs & stuff to keep fleas out of
those items - and also inside your vacuum bag/dirt receptacle!

Also, make sure that you wash the cat's bedding to eliminate any fleas &
flea eggs hiding there. You might also want to have your cat treated for
worms (they get those from ingesting the fleas, which eat the worm eggs...
it's a vicious cycle)

My cats, which are indoors, get Frontline every 3-4 months
(Frontline/Advantage both last a lot longer than their packages say,
especially on indoor animals), but the dog, who goes outside to pee, poo and
for walkies, gets Frontline (and heartworm meds) monthly.

Magic Mood JeepŠ
May 29th 06, 03:28 PM
wrote:
> And if anybody wants to see what I lovingly call "The Speed Bump on my
> way to sleep", I have a photo album at
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/furbycollins2000/album?.dir=71c3re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

He's gorgeous!

You can view all of mine at

May 29th 06, 04:32 PM
In article om>,
says...
> And if anybody wants to see what I lovingly call "The Speed Bump on my
> way to sleep", I have a photo album at
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/furbycollins2000/album?.dir=71c3re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

My cat Emily had been pulling out the fur on her belly and tail. Brought
her to the vet who said it's either allergies or fleas. Got a six month
pack of Frontline and sure enough, fur is growing back.

Thing is, Emily is a strict indoor cat but also a mouser. That's
probably the route for the fleas.

cybercat
May 29th 06, 04:57 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I took Ray in to get his claws clipped (He likes the woman that does it
> at the local store, and I have been trying to broach the subject of how
> she might like me for awhile, but that's another story for another
> message board) and it turns out Ray DOES have fleas.

Well that is much better than allergies as it is simpler to deal with.
Tell me, Ray, where do you live? (I am curious because fleas are
more of a problem in some places than others ...)

Gail Futoran
May 29th 06, 05:20 PM
"Magic Mood JeepŠ" > wrote in message
>> I took Ray in to get his claws clipped (He likes the woman that does
>> it at the local store, and I have been trying to broach the subject
>> of how she might like me for awhile, but that's another story for
>> another message board) and it turns out Ray DOES have fleas.
>>
>> He's an indoor cat and I'm a pretty clean bachelor, so I'm not sure
>> how he got them, but the problem right now is how to get rid of them.
>>
>> I've been using something called "Sergeants's Silver Squeeze-on" to
>> make sure he didn't get them, but that obviously doesn't work very
>> well. Does anyone here have any suggestions? Petsmart said possibly
>> trying "Advantage" next time and that flea collars wouldn't do much,
>> but I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas...
>
> Advantage or Frontline is certainly better than any over-the-counter flea
> meds (don't ever buy any Hartz flea meds - they have been know to make ill
> or even kill pets!). Both are available at your vet's or from online
> sources (Drs Foster & Smith or 1-800-pet-meds, for example). Flea collars
> are pretty much useless, except at possibly harming your cat, or for
> cutting up and stuffing down inside sofas and chairs & stuff to keep fleas
> out of those items - and also inside your vacuum bag/dirt receptacle!
>
> Also, make sure that you wash the cat's bedding to eliminate any fleas &
> flea eggs hiding there. You might also want to have your cat treated for
> worms (they get those from ingesting the fleas, which eat the worm eggs...
> it's a vicious cycle)
>
> My cats, which are indoors, get Frontline every 3-4 months
> (Frontline/Advantage both last a lot longer than their packages say,
> especially on indoor animals), but the dog, who goes outside to pee, poo
> and for walkies, gets Frontline (and heartworm meds) monthly.

I would like to second that advice. I, too,
had a bad experience with over the counter
flea control. Now I get the expensive stuff
from the vet - Revolution - but as noted above,
www.drsfostersmith.com has Advantage and
Frontline which are also supposed to be very
good and safe. I buy a lot of cat & fish &
pond stuff from drsfostersmith and have
never had a problem.

Gail F.
Housemaid for: Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

cybercat
May 29th 06, 05:35 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> And if anybody wants to see what I lovingly call "The Speed Bump on my
> way to sleep", I have a photo album at

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/furbycollins2000/album?.dir=71c3re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

What a total doll! I love #6, he looks so innocent sleeping. (I like the
color of your carpet too, lol ...)

May 29th 06, 07:39 PM
We live in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area of Florida.