PDA

View Full Version : Feline Calicivirus

Cheryl
May 29th 06, 11:44 PM
Last night I felt a lump the size of a pea on Scarlett's (1 yr, 8
mo old spayed female) mouth and thought it felt like an abcess.
Called vet's office this morning, but of course due to holiday,
they were closed. Since it seemed like an infection I took her to
the emergency clinic and the diagnosis came back as calicivirus.
She's an indoor cat, has had all vaccinations (juvenile initial and
boosters Nov/Dec 2004, and one year shots in Dec 2005). She's never
had a flare-up before, though she's had flare-ups of feline herpes
virus. She had a severe case when she was found, along with her
brother who also has flare-ups.

Is leaving this to clear up on its own the correct method of
treatment in a cat this age? My other cats are up to date on
vaccinations except for Shamrock, though he had all of his for two
years (Sept 2001 & 2002) until we stopped due to his own immune
system problems, so he hasn't had any shots for over 3 years now.
The emergency vet suggested asking our regular vet for Interferon
and Lysine. Is this a common cocktail for calicivirus? Scarlett's
littermate had a mouth problem a few months ago and it looked like
an injury (at least that's what it was diagnosed as) but now I
wonder if it was also calicivirus.

How bad can symptoms get, and what to look for to see if it gets
worse? Thank you.

--
Cheryl

-L.
May 30th 06, 06:40 AM
Cheryl wrote:
> Last night I felt a lump the size of a pea on Scarlett's (1 yr, 8
> mo old spayed female) mouth and thought it felt like an abcess.
> Called vet's office this morning, but of course due to holiday,
> they were closed. Since it seemed like an infection I took her to
> the emergency clinic and the diagnosis came back as calicivirus.
> She's an indoor cat, has had all vaccinations (juvenile initial and
> boosters Nov/Dec 2004, and one year shots in Dec 2005). She's never
> had a flare-up before, though she's had flare-ups of feline herpes
> virus. She had a severe case when she was found, along with her
> brother who also has flare-ups.

IME. Cats with Calici are *sick*. I have never seen a cat with Calici
that wasn't dripping URI syptoms *everytwhere* Also, they usually
present as multiple lesions.

Unless she is a carrier and just - for whatever reason - produced one
lesion without further symptoms, I'd be doubtful of the diagnosis.

Honestly, I think most emergency vets suck. A lot of them are recent
grads who can't get a job any place else except graveyard shift at the
ER.

..

> Is leaving this to clear up on its own the correct method of
> treatment in a cat this age? My other cats are up to date on
> vaccinations except for Shamrock, though he had all of his for two
> years (Sept 2001 & 2002) until we stopped due to his own immune
> system problems, so he hasn't had any shots for over 3 years now.
> The emergency vet suggested asking our regular vet for Interferon
> and Lysine. Is this a common cocktail for calicivirus?

Calici is usually just treated with supportive care but Lysine and
interferon are common anti-viral treatments.

Scarlett's
> littermate had a mouth problem a few months ago and it looked like
> an injury (at least that's what it was diagnosed as) but now I
> wonder if it was also calicivirus.
>
> How bad can symptoms get, and what to look for to see if it gets
> worse? Thank you.

Usual symptoms are URI-like but Calici can affect the lining of the
lungs so you have to be on the lookout for pneumonia-like symptoms
(sever lethargy/wheezing, etc.)

I will bet it is a misdiagnosis, though. I can't believe you have had
these cats for this long without discovering they are carriers.

-L.

rrb
May 30th 06, 06:57 AM
Cheryl wrote:
> Last night I felt a lump the size of a pea on Scarlett's (1 yr, 8
> mo old spayed female) mouth and thought it felt like an abcess.
> Called vet's office this morning, but of course due to holiday,
> they were closed. Since it seemed like an infection I took her to
> the emergency clinic and the diagnosis came back as calicivirus.
> She's an indoor cat, has had all vaccinations (juvenile initial and
> boosters Nov/Dec 2004, and one year shots in Dec 2005). She's never
> had a flare-up before, though she's had flare-ups of feline herpes
> virus. She had a severe case when she was found, along with her
> brother who also has flare-ups.
>
> Is leaving this to clear up on its own the correct method of
> treatment in a cat this age? My other cats are up to date on
> vaccinations except for Shamrock, though he had all of his for two
> years (Sept 2001 & 2002) until we stopped due to his own immune
> system problems, so he hasn't had any shots for over 3 years now.
> The emergency vet suggested asking our regular vet for Interferon
> and Lysine. Is this a common cocktail for calicivirus? Scarlett's
> littermate had a mouth problem a few months ago and it looked like
> an injury (at least that's what it was diagnosed as) but now I
> wonder if it was also calicivirus.
>
> How bad can symptoms get, and what to look for to see if it gets
> worse? Thank you.

Cheryl,

Here is a link to a page discussions Calicivirus and giving treatment &
symptoms: http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/calicivirus/index.shtml.
This was found through a yahoo search for feline calicivirus which
returned lots of hits. I hope the diagnosis is incorrect for Scarlet.

rrb

Cheryl
May 31st 06, 02:19 AM
On Tue 30 May 2006 01:40:12a, -L. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com):

> IME. Cats with Calici are *sick*. I have never seen a cat with
> Calici that wasn't dripping URI syptoms *everytwhere* Also,
> they usually present as multiple lesions.

I thought it was an abscess from the way it felt, but after seeing
it, it was multiple ulcers along the lower gum line. No URI
symptoms, but her eyes have always gooked up to the point that they
need wiping at least once a week. Once or twice in the last year
she's had to have ointment prescribed to clear it up - the same
with her littermate brother. His actually get worse than hers.
That's why I know they still have flare-ups of FHV, but never FCV.
I'm with you, why would it come out now after all this time if
she's always been infected, even if dormant? I can't imagine where
it came from unless I brought it home from seeing my sisters
kittens. None of them are sick, nor the mom.

> Unless she is a carrier and just - for whatever reason -
> produced one lesion without further symptoms, I'd be doubtful of
> the diagnosis.
>
> Honestly, I think most emergency vets suck. A lot of them are
> recent grads who can't get a job any place else except graveyard
> shift at the ER.

<snip>

Is this a common cocktail for
>> calicivirus?
>
> Calici is usually just treated with supportive care but Lysine
> and interferon are common anti-viral treatments.

I talked to our vet today and she said she'd prescribe something
for pain if it gets to where she won't eat. We're going to try just
Lysine for now, and add Interferon if necessary. Honestly, it
doesn't feel as inflamed today. Maybe it will go away on its own.

>> How bad can symptoms get, and what to look for to see if it
>> gets worse? Thank you.
>
> Usual symptoms are URI-like but Calici can affect the lining of
> the lungs so you have to be on the lookout for pneumonia-like
> symptoms (sever lethargy/wheezing, etc.)

Thanks. Just what I was wondering. I will be on the lookout.

> I will bet it is a misdiagnosis, though. I can't believe you
> have had these cats for this long without discovering they are
> carriers.

I know! I hope so!

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
May 31st 06, 02:20 AM
On Tue 30 May 2006 01:57:36a, rrb wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:[email protected]):

> Here is a link to a page discussions Calicivirus and giving
> treatment & symptoms:
> http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/calicivirus/index.shtml. This
> was found through a yahoo search for feline calicivirus which
> returned lots of hits. I hope the diagnosis is incorrect for
> Scarlet.

Thank you. I'll do some more searching, too, but that link was
helpful. I appreciate it.

--
Cheryl

rrb
June 2nd 06, 05:54 AM
Cheryl wrote:
> On Tue 30 May 2006 01:57:36a, rrb wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:[email protected]):
>
>> Here is a link to a page discussions Calicivirus and giving
>> treatment & symptoms:
>> http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/calicivirus/index.shtml. This
>> was found through a yahoo search for feline calicivirus which
>> returned lots of hits. I hope the diagnosis is incorrect for
>> Scarlet.
>
> Thank you. I'll do some more searching, too, but that link was
> helpful. I appreciate it.

You're welcome. I hope it turns out to be not that serious or at least
very easily manageable.

rrb