PDA

View Full Version : Urinary problem with young female

Monte
May 31st 06, 12:05 PM
Hallo

Problem with my 3-year old female kitty. For about the last 3 or so
weeks she's been having a problem with urination. She will go to the
box and crouch like she is urinating, but without any discharge. She
will stay like this for several minutes, finally seeming to give up and
crying a little when she leaves the litter box. She will then be found
to crouch in inappropriate places, also without urine but seeming to be
attempting to urinate. She is not otherwise sick, has good appetite, no
swelling, fever, etc. Outside of this her behaviour is normal.

She has been to the vet and been tested for kidney stones or other
sources of blockage and is not afflicted with these or other quick
acting hazards, but has not had full battery of tests (too expensive
right now--this comes on the heels of discovering the older cat is
diabetic and engendering high veterinary fees).

Has anyone had similar experiences, or idea?

Wendy
May 31st 06, 01:57 PM
"Monte" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hallo
>
> Problem with my 3-year old female kitty. For about the last 3 or so
> weeks she's been having a problem with urination. She will go to the
> box and crouch like she is urinating, but without any discharge. She
> will stay like this for several minutes, finally seeming to give up and
> crying a little when she leaves the litter box. She will then be found
> to crouch in inappropriate places, also without urine but seeming to be
> attempting to urinate. She is not otherwise sick, has good appetite, no
> swelling, fever, etc. Outside of this her behaviour is normal.
>
> She has been to the vet and been tested for kidney stones or other
> sources of blockage and is not afflicted with these or other quick
> acting hazards, but has not had full battery of tests (too expensive
> right now--this comes on the heels of discovering the older cat is
> diabetic and engendering high veterinary fees).
>
> Has anyone had similar experiences, or idea?

These symptoms scream urinary tract problem. What test was run to determine
that there aren't kidney stones or other sources of blockage? Did the vet
try treating this in any way? If so what has been tried already? What other
tests did the vet recommend that you declined to have done because of
expense?

---MIKE---
May 31st 06, 01:58 PM
Those are classic symptoms of urinary blockage or infection. If your
vet can't find the problem, find another vet. If you love your cat,
this is no time to try and save money. She is obviously in pain.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Toni
May 31st 06, 02:03 PM
"Monte" > wrote in message

> Has anyone had similar experiences, or idea?

Agree with Wendy that this is very typical of a urinary tract infection.
It is quite painful and easily remedied.

If your current vet cannot/will not treat it, find another vet.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Wendy
May 31st 06, 04:10 PM
"Toni" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Monte" > wrote in message
>>
>> Has anyone had similar experiences, or idea?
>>

> Agree with Wendy that this is very typical of a urinary tract infection.
> It is quite painful and easily remedied.
>
> If your current vet cannot/will not treat it, find another vet.
>

> --
> Toni
> http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

He's lucky he has a female. A male could be dead already with symptoms like
that.

Gail
May 31st 06, 05:28 PM
Yes, find another vet ASAP. She has a urinary tract infection or blockage.
Gail
"Wendy" > wrote in message

> "Toni" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "Monte" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Has anyone had similar experiences, or idea?
>>>

>> Agree with Wendy that this is very typical of a urinary tract infection.
>> It is quite painful and easily remedied.
>>
>> If your current vet cannot/will not treat it, find another vet.
>>

>> --
>> Toni
>> http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com
>>

> He's lucky he has a female. A male could be dead already with symptoms
> like that.

Chelle
June 1st 06, 07:39 PM
Just went through the same thing (bladder infection) with my little
one. Lucky for me he let me know by squatting down in front of me on
the couch.

His doc gave him Clavamox (Amoxicillin....) liquid drops x2 daily,
which he just finished up. To keep it from reoccurring, he gave him
Cosequin, which you open the capsule and sprinkle on soft food (mix'd
up). For him, one time a day (under 10lb), for 6-weeks.

He hasn't had a bladder infection in 2 years. Of course, his world
changed while we were on vacation for 2-weeks, as he had a new
babysitter.

My vet has been correct in the fact that, when something in their world
changes (new baby, new pet, new anything...., they are prone to these
infections.

The meds and the visit was 83.00. Best bucks I'll ever spend....