PDA

View Full Version : Alternative for cat collar?

The Other Mike
June 1st 06, 02:27 AM
Well, after 3 second opinions from various vets we had to have our
cat's tail amputated (1/2 way down). After going through the surgery
and anesthesia, he came through just fine. Our problem is that after
all the trauma he's been through, he now has to wear a cat collar so
he doesn't lick or bite his stitches for 10 days....and needless to
say he's extremely miserable and is having problems climbing stairs
and eating and drinking. We're afraid to leave him alone. Are there
any alternatives to this plastic collar or any way to make him more
comfortable?

blkcatgal
June 1st 06, 04:43 AM
I've seen a soft collar somewhere. I'm not sure how well it would work but
you could check it out. Try googling it.

Sue
"The Other Mike" > wrote in message
> Well, after 3 second opinions from various vets we had to have our
> cat's tail amputated (1/2 way down). After going through the surgery
> and anesthesia, he came through just fine. Our problem is that after
> all the trauma he's been through, he now has to wear a cat collar so
> he doesn't lick or bite his stitches for 10 days....and needless to
> say he's extremely miserable and is having problems climbing stairs
> and eating and drinking. We're afraid to leave him alone. Are there
> any alternatives to this plastic collar or any way to make him more
> comfortable?

The Other Mike
June 1st 06, 03:42 PM
On Wed, 31 May 2006 23:43:14 -0400, "blkcatgal"
> wrote:

>'ve seen a soft collar somewhere. I'm not sure how well it would work but
>you could check it out. Try googling it.
>
>Sue

Got it...thanks so much...I think a soft collar will work much better.
I'll have one overnighted tonight.

jmc
June 1st 06, 11:05 PM
Suddenly, without warning, The Other Mike exclaimed (5/31/2006 9:27 PM):
> Well, after 3 second opinions from various vets we had to have our
> cat's tail amputated (1/2 way down). After going through the surgery
> and anesthesia, he came through just fine. Our problem is that after
> all the trauma he's been through, he now has to wear a cat collar so
> he doesn't lick or bite his stitches for 10 days....and needless to
> say he's extremely miserable and is having problems climbing stairs
> and eating and drinking. We're afraid to leave him alone. Are there
> any alternatives to this plastic collar or any way to make him more
> comfortable?

I've never heard of the soft collar mentioned by another poster, but you
can find a clear one at PetsMart I think. Made a world of difference to
poor Meep, who had to wear one for a couple of weeks. She could
negotiate obstacles a LOT better in a clear one rather than the opaque
thing the vet gave us.

Good luck to your poor kitty. I'd also confine him to someplace he
can't jump around too much - with the shorter tail I imagine he'll have
to reassess balance issues, especially when jumping.

jmc