PDA

View Full Version : Kitten: Doesn't Like to Be Picked Up


Larry R Harrison Jr
June 1st 06, 01:32 PM
We live out in the "boonies" as it were, and have 2 "established" cats as it
were whom we've had for 6+ months or more and are happy with them as they
are, no problems.

We found a 3rd one outside in the yard as a kitten, a stray, and we took it
in and have been caring for it, this is about 2 weeks or so. It's doing
fine, and it's a cute little thing.

The only thing that irks me about this kitten is that it is generally
friendly & so forth, but if you dare pick it up, no matter how you hold it
when doing so, it screams bloody murder and protests. It can't stand it. It
will meow loudly and squirm like a pig.

It obviously can't stand being held, but frankly I have no place in my home
for a cat that doesn't like to be held. I have been told that some cats are
"just that way," that it's nothing personal. I'm sorry, but to me it is
totally 100% personal, and very offensive. To me it's a form of "snobbery"
and I don't like it.

We have 2 other cats here that don't mind it one bit, to me if this one is
going to stay this way it's just another mouth to feed that, frankly, isn't
"earning its keep" the way the other 2 are.

Since it is just a kitten, I'm willing to allow the possibility that it
might change and be OK with you holding it when it gets older. But if it's
always going to protest, I'm going to put an ad in the paper and give it
away.

Do you think that, since it is just a kitten, the odds are pretty good it
will grow to not hate behing picked up so much, that it's just a "baby
kitten stage" or whatever, or is it more likely a permanent part of its
personality?

LRH

dgk
June 1st 06, 02:07 PM
On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:32:50 GMT, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
> wrote:

>We live out in the "boonies" as it were, and have 2 "established" cats as it
>were whom we've had for 6+ months or more and are happy with them as they
>are, no problems.
>
>We found a 3rd one outside in the yard as a kitten, a stray, and we took it
>in and have been caring for it, this is about 2 weeks or so. It's doing
>fine, and it's a cute little thing.
>
>The only thing that irks me about this kitten is that it is generally
>friendly & so forth, but if you dare pick it up, no matter how you hold it
>when doing so, it screams bloody murder and protests. It can't stand it. It
>will meow loudly and squirm like a pig.
>

I have two cats. Nipsy is a mush that you can hold upside down and rub
his belly or do just about anything to. He's not too bright and pretty
much is a lump. Espy will not tolerate being picked up and isn't a big
one for petting in any way. He's also very smart, talks all the time,
and is very entertaining.

For the once in a while that Espy decides to come over and sit in my
lap, which he does very awkwardly, I treasure the honor. It often
seems to come at a very inconvenient time, I notice.

Each cat is different and it is those differences that make them
unique. I think that you'll learn to treasure those times when Cat #3
graces you with a rub or a lap sit.

Alan
June 1st 06, 02:25 PM
My youngest cat has never liked being picked up - and gives the same
almost huffy squeals and wriggles until I put her down. I just assume
she doesn't like it, or gets scared of the height.

She makes up for it in other ways though, she likes to be up high and
paws the air for me to come close enough for her to butt me with her
head.

Cats like to do things on their terms - you'll find other ways of
giving/getting affection from your new kitten...

(Think about how you might feel being swept up by something 50 times
your size and lifted 30 feet into the air - wouldn't you scream too?)

Joe Canuck
June 1st 06, 02:36 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> We live out in the "boonies" as it were, and have 2 "established" cats as it
> were whom we've had for 6+ months or more and are happy with them as they
> are, no problems.
>
> We found a 3rd one outside in the yard as a kitten, a stray, and we took it
> in and have been caring for it, this is about 2 weeks or so. It's doing
> fine, and it's a cute little thing.
>
> The only thing that irks me about this kitten is that it is generally
> friendly & so forth, but if you dare pick it up, no matter how you hold it
> when doing so, it screams bloody murder and protests. It can't stand it. It
> will meow loudly and squirm like a pig.
>
> It obviously can't stand being held, but frankly I have no place in my home
> for a cat that doesn't like to be held. I have been told that some cats are
> "just that way," that it's nothing personal. I'm sorry, but to me it is
> totally 100% personal, and very offensive. To me it's a form of "snobbery"
> and I don't like it.
>
> We have 2 other cats here that don't mind it one bit, to me if this one is
> going to stay this way it's just another mouth to feed that, frankly, isn't
> "earning its keep" the way the other 2 are.
>
> Since it is just a kitten, I'm willing to allow the possibility that it
> might change and be OK with you holding it when it gets older. But if it's
> always going to protest, I'm going to put an ad in the paper and give it
> away.
>
> Do you think that, since it is just a kitten, the odds are pretty good it
> will grow to not hate behing picked up so much, that it's just a "baby
> kitten stage" or whatever, or is it more likely a permanent part of its
> personality?
>
> LRH
>
>

I think you are incorrectly associating human behavior (ie: snobbery,
100% personal, very offensive) characteristics with felines.

The kitten may eventually grow out of that and become more tolerant, but
may never like being held or picked up.

Felines are very much individuals with their own personalities, we
cannot expect them nor should we want them to all be the same.

There are two possible reasons for this... that the kitten just don't
like being handled much -or- that the kitten was not handled much by
humans when it was young.

Handle the kitten on a regular daily basis and be very gentle. Let it go
when the squirming gets aggressive. Perhaps entice the kitten to stay on
your lap with treats or through some method of play the kitten enjoys.

Try different forms of handling, such as turning the kitten over on it's
tummy and giving it a belly rub without actually holding it. Show it
that there are pleasures to being handled by humans. Do not give it a
hard time at all when you handle it, because that will just reinforce
the concept that being handled by humans is not a good thing.

Patience and being gentle is very important.

P No Gree G O
June 1st 06, 06:59 PM
Here we go again. Same troll, different year...


TROLL O - METER

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
--------------------------------------
^
|

CatNipped
June 1st 06, 08:07 PM
"P No Gree G O" > wrote in message
...
> Here we go again. Same troll, different year...
>
>
> TROLL O - METER
>
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
> --------------------------------------
> ^
> |

Yep, this is the same guy who claimed to shoot stray cats who wandered onto
his property. [Sorry, Larry, some of us have long memories.]

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Matthew aka NMR
June 1st 06, 08:34 PM
Same guy that did this quote

"It" does even better. It is a living & breathing thing, but it's an
animal. I've always thought that only humans deserved such a
distinction. Humans & animals are distinctly different, and "it" is
one way to stress that.

Doesn't mean I don't love her--I do--but my cat, well, it's not my
entire life.



"CatNipped" > wrote in message
...
> "P No Gree G O" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Here we go again. Same troll, different year...
>>
>>
>> TROLL O - METER
>>
>> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
>> --------------------------------------
>> ^
>> |
>
> Yep, this is the same guy who claimed to shoot stray cats who wandered
> onto his property. [Sorry, Larry, some of us have long memories.]
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/
>
>
>

cybercat
June 1st 06, 08:35 PM
"Larry R Harrison Jr" > wrote in message
. com...
> We live out in the "boonies" as it were, and have 2 "established" cats as
it
> were whom we've had for 6+ months or more and are happy with them as they
> are, no problems.
>
> We found a 3rd one outside in the yard as a kitten, a stray, and we took
it
> in and have been caring for it, this is about 2 weeks or so. It's doing
> fine, and it's a cute little thing.
>
> The only thing that irks me about this kitten is that it is generally
> friendly & so forth, but if you dare pick it up, no matter how you hold it
> when doing so, it screams bloody murder and protests. It can't stand it.
It
> will meow loudly and squirm like a pig.
>
> It obviously can't stand being held, but frankly I have no place in my
home
> for a cat that doesn't like to be held. I have been told that some cats
are
> "just that way," that it's nothing personal. I'm sorry, but to me it is
> totally 100% personal, and very offensive. To me it's a form of "snobbery"
> and I don't like it.
>
> We have 2 other cats here that don't mind it one bit, to me if this one is
> going to stay this way it's just another mouth to feed that, frankly,
isn't
> "earning its keep" the way the other 2 are.
>
> Since it is just a kitten, I'm willing to allow the possibility that it
> might change and be OK with you holding it when it gets older. But if it's
> always going to protest, I'm going to put an ad in the paper and give it
> away.
>
> Do you think that, since it is just a kitten, the odds are pretty good it
> will grow to not hate behing picked up so much, that it's just a "baby
> kitten stage" or whatever, or is it more likely a permanent part of its
> personality?
>

Hello, asshole. :)



Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Matthew aka NMR
June 1st 06, 08:37 PM
Or my favorite

"Exactly--as well they shouldn't. Humans deserve superior protections
under the law vs. animals. Animals are not people and should not be
promoted to the same tier, despite numerous persons who state that
their pets are like their children are to others. That's a bit much.
And I like both of our cats, like them a lot--but children they are
NOT"


"CatNipped" > wrote in message
...
> "P No Gree G O" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Here we go again. Same troll, different year...
>>
>>
>> TROLL O - METER
>>
>> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
>> --------------------------------------
>> ^
>> |
>
> Yep, this is the same guy who claimed to shoot stray cats who wandered
> onto his property. [Sorry, Larry, some of us have long memories.]
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/
>
>
>

cybercat
June 1st 06, 08:37 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
...
> "P No Gree G O" > wrote in message
> ...
> > Here we go again. Same troll, different year...
> >
> >
> > TROLL O - METER
> >
> > 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
> > --------------------------------------
> > ^
> > |
>
> Yep, this is the same guy who claimed to shoot stray cats who wandered
onto
> his property. [Sorry, Larry, some of us have long memories.]
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/
>
>

That's why I thought "Hello, Asshole" was an appropriate response. :)
>



Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Magic Mood JeepŠ
June 1st 06, 08:38 PM
CatNipped wrote:
> "P No Gree G O" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Here we go again. Same troll, different year...
>>
>>
>> TROLL O - METER
>>
>> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
>> --------------------------------------
>> ^
>>>
>
> Yep, this is the same guy who claimed to shoot stray cats who
> wandered onto his property. [Sorry, Larry, some of us have long
> memories.]

As well as that he posted this *exact* same problem this time last year.

I plonked him, but aparently he's changed his headers.

Just a control freak, doesn't realize that, like people, cats have their own
likes & dislikes.

Joe Canuck
June 1st 06, 10:48 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Larry R Harrison Jr" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> We live out in the "boonies" as it were, and have 2 "established" cats as
> it
>> were whom we've had for 6+ months or more and are happy with them as they
>> are, no problems.
>>
>> We found a 3rd one outside in the yard as a kitten, a stray, and we took
> it
>> in and have been caring for it, this is about 2 weeks or so. It's doing
>> fine, and it's a cute little thing.
>>
>> The only thing that irks me about this kitten is that it is generally
>> friendly & so forth, but if you dare pick it up, no matter how you hold it
>> when doing so, it screams bloody murder and protests. It can't stand it.
> It
>> will meow loudly and squirm like a pig.
>>
>> It obviously can't stand being held, but frankly I have no place in my
> home
>> for a cat that doesn't like to be held. I have been told that some cats
> are
>> "just that way," that it's nothing personal. I'm sorry, but to me it is
>> totally 100% personal, and very offensive. To me it's a form of "snobbery"
>> and I don't like it.
>>
>> We have 2 other cats here that don't mind it one bit, to me if this one is
>> going to stay this way it's just another mouth to feed that, frankly,
> isn't
>> "earning its keep" the way the other 2 are.
>>
>> Since it is just a kitten, I'm willing to allow the possibility that it
>> might change and be OK with you holding it when it gets older. But if it's
>> always going to protest, I'm going to put an ad in the paper and give it
>> away.
>>
>> Do you think that, since it is just a kitten, the odds are pretty good it
>> will grow to not hate behing picked up so much, that it's just a "baby
>> kitten stage" or whatever, or is it more likely a permanent part of its
>> personality?
>>
>
> Hello, asshole. :)
>
>
>
> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Oh crap! I've been had.

Oh well, the advice is out there for those with similar REAL issues.

mnemonic
June 1st 06, 11:09 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

> The only thing that irks me about this kitten is that it is generally
> friendly & so forth, but if you dare pick it up, no matter how you hold it
> when doing so, it screams bloody murder and protests. It can't stand it. It
> will meow loudly and squirm like a pig.

oh hell! what? you scared she's going to bite you? you scared she's
going to scratch you and give you an infection?

just roll her into your chest.. bite her ear and she'll chill
plant big kisses on her, eat her up see...

cover her on all sides... then she knows she won't fall dumbass

you thought she would just walk up and pull her panties down for you?

YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT PUSSY

mnemonic
June 1st 06, 11:17 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

> The only thing that irks me about this kitten is that it is generally
> friendly & so forth, but if you dare pick it up, no matter how you hold it
> when doing so, it screams bloody murder and protests. It can't stand it. It
> will meow loudly and squirm like a pig.

I'm sorry Larry, I didn't mean to say that

yes, I had wrote it, but I was just thinking it, (that is takes a pussy
whipped dummy to let a kitten intimidate him) I meant to go back and
edit it out

I realized I forgot to edit after I hit send... sort of like locking
your keys in the car

so sorry

Larry R Harrison Jr
June 2nd 06, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the tips.

I do like the kitten. In fact I just got through playing some with it--and
this did INCLUDE some picking it up & holding it--and it didn't protest as
much, in fact in some short stretches it didn't protest at all. It was
great.

I don't mind its playing in other ways, and I don't demand the ability or
whatever to handle it a LOT, heck I don't want to handle it 24 hours a day.
I just don't want it to protest so strongly anytime I dare to pick it up to
show it affection. The most recent time that this happened was last night
when it was in our bedroom as we were preparing to call it a night, and I
was just picking it up to usher it out the door GENTLY and tell it while
doing so "you silly goose, we humans can't sleep with you in here!" It was
while doing this and trying to LOVE on it while doing so that it began
protesting and squirming, and I took offense to it.

Since then, again, I have done some handling of it as I like to and it
hasn't been nearly as protestive (if that's a word). So maybe it can work
out.

I do realize that cats have different personalities, no problem. But I've
long ago decided this was one personality trait that I don't like. It's just
like some people love dogs that jump all up with hyperactivity, others
don't--they want something gentler. If they try out a dog and it ends up
being too hyper, rather than "learning to appreciate it as it is" they
instead find it a home where the owner LIKES that personality and they get a
different dog.

No difference here. I have no intentions of forcing my will if the cat hates
being handled, but if it hates it, it will not be kept because I just don't
have any interests in "learning to appreciate diversity" or whatever. I can
appreciate it in theory per se, but it's just not what I'm looking for in a
cat. Period. Case closed.

But again--today, it was receptive to it, and we had plenty of sweet moments
all the way around, so maybe it will work out. I just wanted feedback on
whether young kittens can change in that department over time, that's all.

And again I do appreciate the tips from those who said things like "try
giving it treats, scratching its belly etc." I have no problem doing that.

LRH

Ryan Robbins
June 2nd 06, 03:11 AM
"Larry R Harrison Jr" > wrote in message
. com...
> It obviously can't stand being held, but frankly I have no place in my
> home for a cat that doesn't like to be held. I have been told that some
> cats are "just that way," that it's nothing personal. I'm sorry, but to me
> it is totally 100% personal, and very offensive. To me it's a form of
> "snobbery" and I don't like it.

With this attitude of yours, I can't take your post seriously.

> We have 2 other cats here that don't mind it one bit, to me if this one is
> going to stay this way it's just another mouth to feed that, frankly,
> isn't "earning its keep" the way the other 2 are.

It sounds as though you shouldn't be taking care of any animals.

Ryan Robbins
June 2nd 06, 03:20 AM
"Larry R Harrison Jr" > wrote in message
. com...
>
> I do realize that cats have different personalities, no problem. But I've
> long ago decided this was one personality trait that I don't like. It's
> just like some people love dogs that jump all up with hyperactivity,
> others don't--they want something gentler. If they try out a dog and it
> ends up being too hyper, rather than "learning to appreciate it as it is"
> they instead find it a home where the owner LIKES that personality and
> they get a different dog.
>
> No difference here. I have no intentions of forcing my will if the cat
> hates being handled, but if it hates it, it will not be kept because I
> just don't have any interests in "learning to appreciate diversity" or
> whatever. I can appreciate it in theory per se, but it's just not what I'm
> looking for in a cat. Period. Case closed.

Pets are not objects. They are living creatures who deserve as much respect
as you would give a person. You would put your child up for adoption if you
didn't like the way he was turning out after a year, would you?

Larry R Harrison Jr
June 2nd 06, 09:42 AM
"Ryan Robbins" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Pets are not objects. They are living creatures who deserve as much
> respect as you would give a person. You would put your child up for
> adoption if you didn't like the way he was turning out after a year, would
> you?

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with that statement--and I would go so
far as to say that those who agree with it are a leading cause for much of
what is wrong with the world today.

It is because of people like this that we have situations such as the Diane
Whipple case--a woman who was mauled to death by two aggressive dogs. Turns
out the dog owners knew full well how dangerous the dogs were and did
NOTHING about it--one of the owners even was quoted AFTER the deaths as
saying to the effect "if the people around here don't like our dogs they can
leave." It is also because of this mentality that you get the more routine &
annoying, like a neighbor whose cats trespass into the adjoining yard and
put paw prints all over the hood of the neighbors' cars--and the cat owner,
rather than taking responsibility, will basically say "well gee, if you'd
garage your cars this wouldn't be a problem." Or they'll minimize it in a
very insulting way, saying "what's the big deal, they're just cars." (It's
called TRESPASSING where I come from.)

And of course the classic cases of the dogs that go into the neighbor's yard
to "take care of business" as it were, sometimes with the owner's
encouragement being the cause of it. (As an aside--I heard of the case of
one person who was a victim of this who handled the problem in a most
excellent way. He'd take the offending "by-products" produced by his
neighbor's dog, and throw the "by-products" onto the dog owner's porch. Word
has it that the problem stopped immediately.)

Pets aren't objects, true, but they aren't people either. Anyone that
considers their cat, dog, racoon, whatever, to be as important to them as
their people friends--especially ones like wife, children, parents--sorry,
but such a person has mental issues. It has long been established--at least
until we went koo-koo the last 30 years or so anyway--that animals sit in a
place distinctly below humans in the importance level of things. This is NOT
to justify abuse or mistreatment, but rather to put animals' importance in
perspective. There is nothing wrong with loving your cat, dog, snake, pick
your pet it doesn't matter--but if you consider it as important to you as
your spouse or children etc, you've got problems, serious problems.

So, to equate giving away a cat--a cat we found out in the yard wandering,
it's not as if we sought the cat out deliberately--to equate this with being
the same as turning your back on a child, that's a mentally challenged
position to hold. I will pray for you my friend, you need help.

LRH

Wendy
June 2nd 06, 12:40 PM
"Larry R Harrison Jr" > wrote in message
. com...
> Thanks for the tips.
>
> I do like the kitten. In fact I just got through playing some with it--and
> this did INCLUDE some picking it up & holding it--and it didn't protest as
> much, in fact in some short stretches it didn't protest at all. It was
> great.
>
> I don't mind its playing in other ways, and I don't demand the ability or
> whatever to handle it a LOT, heck I don't want to handle it 24 hours a
> day. I just don't want it to protest so strongly anytime I dare to pick it
> up to show it affection. The most recent time that this happened was last
> night when it was in our bedroom as we were preparing to call it a night,
> and I was just picking it up to usher it out the door GENTLY and tell it
> while doing so "you silly goose, we humans can't sleep with you in here!"
> It was while doing this and trying to LOVE on it while doing so that it
> began protesting and squirming, and I took offense to it.
>
> Since then, again, I have done some handling of it as I like to and it
> hasn't been nearly as protestive (if that's a word). So maybe it can work
> out.
>
> I do realize that cats have different personalities, no problem. But I've
> long ago decided this was one personality trait that I don't like. It's
> just like some people love dogs that jump all up with hyperactivity,
> others don't--they want something gentler. If they try out a dog and it
> ends up being too hyper, rather than "learning to appreciate it as it is"
> they instead find it a home where the owner LIKES that personality and
> they get a different dog.
>
> No difference here. I have no intentions of forcing my will if the cat
> hates being handled, but if it hates it, it will not be kept because I
> just don't have any interests in "learning to appreciate diversity" or
> whatever. I can appreciate it in theory per se, but it's just not what I'm
> looking for in a cat. Period. Case closed.
>
> But again--today, it was receptive to it, and we had plenty of sweet
> moments all the way around, so maybe it will work out. I just wanted
> feedback on whether young kittens can change in that department over time,
> that's all.
>
> And again I do appreciate the tips from those who said things like "try
> giving it treats, scratching its belly etc." I have no problem doing that.
>
> LRH
>
>
>

More than likely the kitten is just terrified because it's not all that used
to people and finds itself that far off solid ground. It sounds like a trust
thing. The kitten will more than likely come around and not protest so
dramatically. OTOH it might never like being picked up and held. I have a
cat who is a lap cat to the point of being a pest sometimes but he doesn't
like being held. He's actually the most affectionate cat I have.

I have no doubt this cat will eventually become a wonderful pet but am not
so sure if that will happen in your household. You seem to have limited
tolerance for this cat and it might be best to re-home him as soon as an
appropriate placement can be found. My suggestion would be to look for home
where they have experience socializing stray/feral kittens and aren't stuck
on having a cat that enjoys being picked up.

W

P No Gree G O
June 2nd 06, 02:01 PM
One more time folks:


This guy is a TROLL and has posted this exact same scenario before.

He gets off on your outrage, so PLEASE stop feeding him!!

cybercat
June 2nd 06, 02:04 PM
"P No Gree G O" > wrote in message
...
> One more time folks:
>
>
> This guy is a TROLL and has posted this exact same scenario before.
>
> He gets off on your outrage, so PLEASE stop feeding him!!
>

This never works, Ms. PeeNo, though I understand the temptation to try it.



Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

June 2nd 06, 08:09 PM
Well, the only way Ray (My little furball of joy AKA Devil cat) will
tolerate being held is if I am moving around - he likes to watch the
scenery pass from a different angle. He will NOT allow me to hold him
and stand still (I guess he just get's bored).

Of course, he is also very affectionate in other ways, and loves to sit
between me and the arm of the couch when I watch a DVD.

What I'm trying to say is that some cats don't like to be picked up
(Some people don't like to shake hands, or hug in public), but I'm sure
they'll show love in other ways.

Larry R Harrison Jr
June 2nd 06, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Wendy. I didn't realize that if a cat (especially a
kitten) had its background this could be a factor. I did consider that since
it was a kitten and not fully grown yet it could change.

Actually, it already has. It does still meow when I pick it up, but it's not
so intense--and it doesn't squirm like a pig anymore. It is already coming
around it seems.

If it does end up hate being held when all is said & done then yes I would
rehome it. If it keeps doing as it's done the last couple of days or so,
though, it would be a pleasure to keep him.

Heck, the other 2 cats are starting to come around--I even found the new one
& one of the others sleeping together in a box, it was the sweetest thing.
It's also cute when this new kitten engages in play with the others, chewing
on their ears and chasing their tail and so forth. Really cute.

LRH


"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..
>
> "Larry R Harrison Jr" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> Thanks for the tips.
>>
>> I do like the kitten. In fact I just got through playing some with
>> it--and this did INCLUDE some picking it up & holding it--and it didn't
>> protest as much, in fact in some short stretches it didn't protest at
>> all. It was great.
>>
>> I don't mind its playing in other ways, and I don't demand the ability or
>> whatever to handle it a LOT, heck I don't want to handle it 24 hours a
>> day. I just don't want it to protest so strongly anytime I dare to pick
>> it up to show it affection. The most recent time that this happened was
>> last night when it was in our bedroom as we were preparing to call it a
>> night, and I was just picking it up to usher it out the door GENTLY and
>> tell it while doing so "you silly goose, we humans can't sleep with you
>> in here!" It was while doing this and trying to LOVE on it while doing so
>> that it began protesting and squirming, and I took offense to it.
>>
>> Since then, again, I have done some handling of it as I like to and it
>> hasn't been nearly as protestive (if that's a word). So maybe it can work
>> out.
>>
>> I do realize that cats have different personalities, no problem. But I've
>> long ago decided this was one personality trait that I don't like. It's
>> just like some people love dogs that jump all up with hyperactivity,
>> others don't--they want something gentler. If they try out a dog and it
>> ends up being too hyper, rather than "learning to appreciate it as it is"
>> they instead find it a home where the owner LIKES that personality and
>> they get a different dog.
>>
>> No difference here. I have no intentions of forcing my will if the cat
>> hates being handled, but if it hates it, it will not be kept because I
>> just don't have any interests in "learning to appreciate diversity" or
>> whatever. I can appreciate it in theory per se, but it's just not what
>> I'm looking for in a cat. Period. Case closed.
>>
>> But again--today, it was receptive to it, and we had plenty of sweet
>> moments all the way around, so maybe it will work out. I just wanted
>> feedback on whether young kittens can change in that department over
>> time, that's all.
>>
>> And again I do appreciate the tips from those who said things like "try
>> giving it treats, scratching its belly etc." I have no problem doing
>> that.
>>
>> LRH
>>
>>
>>
>
> More than likely the kitten is just terrified because it's not all that
> used to people and finds itself that far off solid ground. It sounds like
> a trust thing. The kitten will more than likely come around and not
> protest so dramatically. OTOH it might never like being picked up and
> held. I have a cat who is a lap cat to the point of being a pest sometimes
> but he doesn't like being held. He's actually the most affectionate cat I
> have.
>
> I have no doubt this cat will eventually become a wonderful pet but am not
> so sure if that will happen in your household. You seem to have limited
> tolerance for this cat and it might be best to re-home him as soon as an
> appropriate placement can be found. My suggestion would be to look for
> home where they have experience socializing stray/feral kittens and aren't
> stuck on having a cat that enjoys being picked up.
>
> W
>
>
>

Ryan Robbins
June 3rd 06, 11:11 AM
"Larry R Harrison Jr" > wrote in message
. com...
> "Ryan Robbins" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>> Pets are not objects. They are living creatures who deserve as much
>> respect as you would give a person. You would put your child up for
>> adoption if you didn't like the way he was turning out after a year,
>> would you?
>
> It is because of people like this that we have situations such as the
> Diane Whipple case--a woman who was mauled to death by two aggressive
> dogs.

You're forgetting why the dogs were aggressive. The owners made them so.

> Pets aren't objects, true, but they aren't people either. Anyone that
> considers their cat, dog, racoon, whatever, to be as important to them as
> their people friends--especially ones like wife, children, parents--sorry,
> but such a person has mental issues.

Nope. Pet ownership is quite beneficial to the owner when it comes to mental
health -- a lot more so than an another person, who will argue with you,
drive you batty with personal quirks in housekeeping and whatnot, etc.

> So, to equate giving away a cat--a cat we found out in the yard wandering,
> it's not as if we sought the cat out deliberately--to equate this with
> being the same as turning your back on a child, that's a mentally
> challenged position to hold. I will pray for you my friend, you need help.

I hope you do not own any pets.

mnemonic
June 3rd 06, 02:09 PM
D. wrote:

> > TROLL O - METER
> >
> > 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
> > --------------------------------------
> > ^
>
> Awww, give him a two for consistency. :)

it was a pretty good troll
he got me!

kitten screaming, how delectable

P No Gree G O
June 3rd 06, 02:13 PM
D. wrote:
> In article >,
> P No Gree G O > wrote:
>
>
>>Here we go again. Same troll, different year...
>>
>>
>> TROLL O - METER
>>
>>1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
>>--------------------------------------
>>^
>
>
> Awww, give him a two for consistency. :)
>

Okay, okay... he gets a 2 for consistency and for effort:


TROLL O - METER

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
--------------------------------------
^
|

John Doe
June 5th 06, 09:08 AM
"Larry R Harrison Jr" <larrytxeast gmail.com> wrote:

>
> We live out in the "boonies" as it were, and have 2 "established"
> cats as it were whom we've had for 6+ months or more and are happy
> with them as they are, no problems.
>
> We found a 3rd one outside in the yard as a kitten, a stray, and
> we took it in and have been caring for it, this is about 2 weeks
> or so. It's doing fine, and it's a cute little thing.

Good thing it's not ugly. On TV, ugly usually means evil.

>
> The only thing that irks me about this kitten is that it is
> generally friendly & so forth, but if you dare pick it up, no
> matter how you hold it when doing so, it screams bloody murder and
> protests. It can't stand it. It will meow loudly and squirm like a
> pig.
>
> It obviously can't stand being held, but frankly I have no place
> in my home for a cat that doesn't like to be held. I have been
> told that some cats are "just that way," that it's nothing
> personal. I'm sorry, but to me it is totally 100% personal, and
> very offensive. To me it's a form of "snobbery" and I don't like
> it.

Cats are small, light, and under your management, but they're not
human children.

>
> Do you think that, since it is just a kitten, the odds are pretty
> good it will grow to not hate behing picked up so much, that it's
> just a "baby kitten stage" or whatever, or is it more likely a
> permanent part of its personality?

You are a human being, I guess, you are a much more advanced
creature.

With that in mind, seems to me that rather than making your cat
understand and cope with you, more realistic is to understand and
cope with your cat. That's my main theory when dealing with cats and
other lesser creatures. I think it can lead to a healthy animal and
help avoid problems.

The young tomcat I took off of the street had been beaten up pretty
badly. He is perpetually timid, probably because being mauled is a
traumatic experience. He comes over and lies down next to me like
when I'm brushing my teeth, and I see that as a significant
accomplishment.

I think most cats don't enjoy being held, even while they don't
protest. Cats like to be in control (heheh, in control of at least
themselves if not the things around them).

Good luck.





>
> LRH
>
>
>
>
> Path: newsdbm05.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01b.news.prodigy .com!prodigy.com!postmaster.news.prodigy.com!newss vr12.news.prodigy.com.POSTED!e6f39e08!not-for-mail
> From: "Larry R Harrison Jr" <larrytxeast gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Kitten: Doesn't Like to Be Picked Up
> Lines: 36
> X-Priority: 3
> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
> X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
> X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2869
> Message-ID: <S7Bfg.43754$Lm5.33531 newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: 4.226.9.117
> X-Complaints-To: abuse prodigy.net
> X-Trace: newssvr12.news.prodigy.com 1149165170 ST000 4.226.9.117 (Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:32:50 EDT)
> NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:32:50 EDT
> Organization: SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com
> X-UserInfo1: Q[R_PJONYJVWC_LZZBMN_VXBAJT QDDMEPWXODMMHXMTWA]EP]RAQFW[ML\THRCKV^GGZKJMGV^^_JSCFFUA_QXFGVSCYRPILH]TRVKC^LSN DX_HCAFX__ J\DAJBVMY\ZWZCZLPA^MVH_P \\EOMW\YSXHG__IJQY_ M[A[[AXQ_XDSTAR]\PG]NVAQUVM
> Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:32:50 GMT
> Xref: prodigy.net rec.pets.cats.health+behav:433344
>

mnemonic
June 5th 06, 12:20 PM
John Doe wrote:

> Good thing it's not ugly. On TV, ugly usually means evil.

heh! troll got trolled