PDA

View Full Version : Pang Charles W. is off topic fo sho

mnemonic
June 1st 06, 10:55 PM
have you noticed the new trend with programmers these days?
no matter the genre of code, wether... mind ****, fortran, or visual
basic

they seem to be lightening up in their end user error messages

I got a legitamate error message once it said, "don't rush me"... which
I thought was cool and down to earth

I just got one that said...

Error! Don't Panic!

lol

it's really not that funny, but it is funny in it's setting because
someone wrote that ****..

my all time favorite error message is...

<drum roll>

Critical Error! No Keyboard Found! Press F1 to continue.

Charlie Wilkes
June 2nd 06, 02:16 AM
On 1 Jun 2006 14:55:30 -0700, "mnemonic" >
wrote:

>have you noticed the new trend with programmers these days?
>no matter the genre of code, wether... mind ****, fortran, or visual
>basic
>
>they seem to be lightening up in their end user error messages
>
>I got a legitamate error message once it said, "don't rush me"... which
>I thought was cool and down to earth
>
>I just got one that said...
>
>Error! Don't Panic!
>
>lol
>
>it's really not that funny, but it is funny in it's setting because
>someone wrote that ****..
>
>my all time favorite error message is...
>
><drum roll>
>
>Critical Error! No Keyboard Found! Press F1 to continue.

I have seen that last one... an Award bios error I think. I set my
bios to boot through errors.

As for the rest, I'm not familiar with them. But if I'm being plagued
by errors, I do not want cuteness. I want information.

My new computer was down for about 10 days because of a blue screen
that came out of nowhere. Microsoft tech support wasn't able to run
it down (I suspect my Smith Micro USB modem driver) and I had to
reinstall everything from the ground up. What a mess. I have a
cleaner system now, though, because I installed everything at once in
the right order. I can only hope the blue screen doesn't reappear.
I'm gonna go to Starband and ditch this flaky cell-phone connection.
Starband has almost gotten their act together since they pulled out of
Ch. 11 and my tenant is a dealer.

Charlie

mnemonic
June 2nd 06, 02:47 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> My new computer was down for about 10 days because of a blue screen
> that came out of nowhere.

my monster server is down right now
i've been to hell and back trying to rescue the drives
I've tried several live linux CD's, and a slew of rescue disks...
at this point, I am looking to boot from a 3.5 floppy... mount the ntfs
volumes
and put them on a tcp/ip network. works for me, it has ran headless for
3 years now anyway.
I am in denial that my number one drive is shot...

blue screen can be scary, hard to say why I'm sure.

> I'm gonna go to Starband and ditch this flaky cell-phone connection.
> Starband has almost gotten their act together since they pulled out of
> Ch. 11 and my tenant is a dealer.

I think I"ve heard of Starband, don't forget direcway is sat provider
as well. I have pictures of where they launched one of their satellites
from the equator. for direcway it costs 100.00 a month for one
year,(this buys the equipment and service) then it drops to 59 a
month.but direcway is now hughes.net

I installed a 15' tall steel post for a customer, so they could mount a
satellite dish. the direway people mounted the satellite on my steel
post. The post has 4 angled feet bolted to it and then the angled feet
are anchored in the concrete. The top end of the steel post is tied to
a brick wall by two 6' pieces of angle iron. I enjoy odd projects like
that.

Lastly, if I get an extra 500.00 I can go up the street from here and
buy a server that is as large as a trailer size forced oil heater. That
should make a fun winter project. I looked inside the cabinet of this
server... super clean! and allegedly works just fine.
Lots and lots of phone jack ports on one side.

Cheryl
June 2nd 06, 02:53 AM
On Thu 01 Jun 2006 09:47:20p, mnemonic wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:1149212840.532961.13930
@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com):

> blue screen can be scary, hard to say why I'm sure.

The_top_line_will_tell_you_why

You just have to listen.

--
Cheryl

mnemonic
June 2nd 06, 03:16 AM
Cheryl wrote:

> The_top_line_will_tell_you_why
>
> You just have to listen.
>

> --
> Cheryl

I've never heard that before, Charlie says MS couldn't nail it down

I do know that the beeps and lights on the power-up can provide alot of
info for trouble shooting.

Charlie Wilkes
June 2nd 06, 04:58 PM
On 1 Jun 2006 18:47:20 -0700, "mnemonic" >
wrote:

>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>> My new computer was down for about 10 days because of a blue screen
>> that came out of nowhere.
>
>my monster server is down right now
>i've been to hell and back trying to rescue the drives
>I've tried several live linux CD's, and a slew of rescue disks...
>at this point, I am looking to boot from a 3.5 floppy... mount the ntfs
>volumes
>and put them on a tcp/ip network. works for me, it has ran headless for
>3 years now anyway.
>I am in denial that my number one drive is shot...
>
>blue screen can be scary, hard to say why I'm sure.
>
>> I'm gonna go to Starband and ditch this flaky cell-phone connection.
>> Starband has almost gotten their act together since they pulled out of
>> Ch. 11 and my tenant is a dealer.
>
>I think I"ve heard of Starband, don't forget direcway is sat provider
>as well. I have pictures of where they launched one of their satellites
>from the equator. for direcway it costs 100.00 a month for one
>year,(this buys the equipment and service) then it drops to 59 a
>month.but direcway is now hughes.net

Yeah, well, Hughes has something they call a "Fair Access Policy,"
which basically means, broadband for everyone who doesn't need it.
Download more than about 150mb at a pop, and they slow your connection
speed to sub-56k for the next 12 hours or so.

Starband has a policy with the same effect, but they implement it
differently... through a rolling seven-day average. That means I can
download an ISO or porn movie now and then without problems.

Hughes has overall better technology, but Starband (which uses a
couple of abandoned military satellites) is more tuned in to the
market. Their new 481 modem has Linux support, and I want to
gradually migrate to Linux because of this slow-motion Vista train
wreck. Based on what I have read, Vista is a giant Trojan Horse for
consumers, checking to make sure your files are all legal downloads,
etc. I'm not a software/content pirate (except by accident) but I
have seen already that Media Player will mis-identify legal content as
pirated, like home-made stuff with proprietary codecs, all legally
done. The public is gonna scream bloody murder, cause untold
revisions, and I do not want to be there.

>I installed a 15' tall steel post for a customer, so they could mount a
>satellite dish. the direway people mounted the satellite on my steel
>post. The post has 4 angled feet bolted to it and then the angled feet
>are anchored in the concrete. The top end of the steel post is tied to
>a brick wall by two 6' pieces of angle iron. I enjoy odd projects like
>that.
>
>Lastly, if I get an extra 500.00 I can go up the street from here and
>buy a server that is as large as a trailer size forced oil heater. That
>should make a fun winter project. I looked inside the cabinet of this
>server... super clean! and allegedly works just fine.
>Lots and lots of phone jack ports on one side.

Yeah. Fun fun fun. Wait a year and they will pay YOU to haul it off.

We need to form our own goddamn space program so we can use all the
cool obsolete stuff that clutters up our lives.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
June 2nd 06, 05:04 PM
On 2 Jun 2006 01:53:34 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On Thu 01 Jun 2006 09:47:20p, mnemonic wrote in
>rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:1149212840.532961.13930
):

>> blue screen can be scary, hard to say why I'm sure.
>>
>The_top_line_will_tell_you_why
>
>You just have to listen.

Really??? I paid MS $99 and worked with their tech support for 2
weeks by email. They collected a cab full of information about my
system, but they couldn't figure it out and had to refund my money.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
June 2nd 06, 05:13 PM
On 1 Jun 2006 19:16:04 -0700, "mnemonic" >
wrote:

>Cheryl wrote:
>
>> The_top_line_will_tell_you_why
>>
>> You just have to listen.
>>

>> --
>> Cheryl
>
>I've never heard that before, Charlie says MS couldn't nail it down

No. I'm 75% sure it was one of two things -- either the proprietary
nvidia hdd driver (I am now running the MS driver) or else the flaky
Smith Micro USB modem driver. Whatever it was did not leave a memory
dump, and I think the hdd driver would have, so SM is my main
suspect..

MS was willing to set up a live debug, but that would have been a lot
of work for me and them, so I just rebuilt my drive with slightly more
conservative settings here and there.

>I do know that the beeps and lights on the power-up can provide alot of
>info for trouble shooting.

At the bios level, but this was toward the end of the boot cycle.

Charlie

mnemonic
June 3rd 06, 01:00 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> Yeah. Fun fun fun. Wait a year and they will pay YOU to haul it off.
>
> We need to form our own goddamn space program so we can use all the
> cool obsolete stuff that clutters up our lives.

If I didn't know better I think you're suggesting we send junk into
space

you know just push it on out there... let it float around

I always did wanna see what would happen if a comet hit a barrel of
nuclear waste

Charlie Wilkes
June 3rd 06, 02:34 AM
On 2 Jun 2006 17:00:10 -0700, "mnemonic" >
wrote:

>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>
>> Yeah. Fun fun fun. Wait a year and they will pay YOU to haul it off.
>>
>> We need to form our own goddamn space program so we can use all the
>> cool obsolete stuff that clutters up our lives.
>
>If I didn't know better I think you're suggesting we send junk into
>space
>
>you know just push it on out there... let it float around
>
>I always did wanna see what would happen if a comet hit a barrel of
>nuclear waste

I've got computers coming out of my ass. I get them all cleaned up
and add them to my nice, neat row of computers with a tablecloth over
them to keep the dust off. Nobody wants them. One has an athlon
1700, 640mb of RAM, a 64mb nvidia video card... all in a beautiful
white micron case from a different machine. Somebody junked it.
Another pearl is an HP omnibook 3000, a 386 laptop not much bigger
than a pda... with a little spring-loaded mouse that pops out of the
side, mint condition with all the original docs. I'll bet I could
get $20 on ebay, if I found just the right buyer and included free
shipping.

For me it's gotten to be sort of a collecting hobby, and a cheap one
at that. Ooh! Aldus Pagemaker 5 (win 3x) with the original box and
docs! How can I pass that up for $2? Hey... HP portable inkjet
printer with the original sales receipt ($379 plus tax), how cool.
But useless...

Charlie

mnemonic
June 3rd 06, 11:53 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> I've got computers coming out of my ass. I get them all cleaned up
> and add them to my nice, neat row of computers with a tablecloth over
> them to keep the dust off. Nobody wants them.

well there you go, the clean case alone is worth keeping them
each case represents a possible monster machine
depends what you put in them... and a good case is worth 65-80 bux
(good steak dinner)

you got CD drives, floppies, IDE cables, maybe power supplies

I went to a local home based computer repair shop last year for some
part...
the fellow was extremely organized. he had large storage containers,
each
container had different components, like hard drives, modems, graphic
cards, columns of motherboards, etc...

more like a work of art in my opinion, either that or a crazy making
situation

> One has an athlon
> 1700, 640mb of RAM, a 64mb nvidia video card... all in a beautiful
> white micron case from a different machine. Somebody junked it.
> Another pearl is an HP omnibook 3000, a 386 laptop not much bigger
> than a pda... with a little spring-loaded mouse that pops out of the
> side, mint condition with all the original docs. I'll bet I could
> get $20 on ebay, if I found just the right buyer and included free
> shipping.

lol, I found a PDA in the thrift shop.. it was color too
brought it home, connected it to my com port...
downloaded software, and put the sucker on the internet! I even
upgraded it's os.
very cool! for 1.00, I put some games on it and gave it to my nephew.

> For me it's gotten to be sort of a collecting hobby, and a cheap one
> at that. Ooh! Aldus Pagemaker 5 (win 3x) with the original box and
> docs! How can I pass that up for $2? Hey... HP portable inkjet
> printer with the original sales receipt ($379 plus tax), how cool.
> But useless...

A friend called me a couple nights ago, he got a med size box of
immaculate CD's from his work dumpster... I think he told me linux
redhat 6.0 (which ain't bad).. then a collection of visual basic, then
a collection of various linux softwares, never heard of most of them,
but sounded like programming tools.

What distribution of linux are you thinking about?

The only reason I haven't made the switch to linux is because I haven't
found good multi-track recording software for Linux.

but I had considered, Fedora and Redhat, I have both of them...from
last year. I also have about 4-5 different Live CD's, those are pretty
cool. seems like redhat was about 2-3 cd's and fedora was about 5 cd's

I never heard of the addle download scheme you mention, although in
practice it would probably never be a nuisance. unless you goto
http://www.veoh.com/ it's a p2p hoam video hub, they probably allow
more download for money. pfft

there's too much confusion in there! said the joker to the bee

cybercat
June 3rd 06, 02:35 PM
"mnemonic" > wrote

> there's too much confusion in there! said the joker to the bee

Good morning!

Isn't it "the joker to the thief?

It has to rhyme with "relief."

mnemonic
June 3rd 06, 03:45 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "mnemonic" > wrote
> >
> > there's too much confusion in there! said the joker to the bee
> >

> Good morning!
>
> Isn't it "the joker to the thief?
>
> It has to rhyme with "relief."

lol
no... it don't have to ryhme

just has to have phrase rythm

oh pwease im the mnemonic

besides, it's actually "confusion in here"

you're thinking of something like..
fuzzy wuzzy was a bear
fuzzy wuzzy had no hair

mnemonic
June 3rd 06, 03:53 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "mnemonic" > wrote
> >
> > there's too much confusion in there! said the joker to the bee
> >

> Good morning!

oh, good morning

you caught me with my pants down to my knees both times
as I was just waking up both times i posted

i always thought it said keeper and bees
so you say it's jokers and thieves hey

my isp is down right now, im posting through my cell phone
too tedious to look this up

but aha! I have downloaded ring tone

lol

cybercat
June 3rd 06, 04:40 PM
"mnemonic" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > "mnemonic" > wrote
> > >
> > > there's too much confusion in there! said the joker to the bee
> > >

> > Good morning!
> >
> > Isn't it "the joker to the thief?
> >
> > It has to rhyme with "relief."
>
> lol
> no... it don't have to ryhme
>
> just has to have phrase rythm
>
> oh pwease im the mnemonic
>
> besides, it's actually "confusion in here"
>
> you're thinking of something like..
> fuzzy wuzzy was a bear
> fuzzy wuzzy had no hair

*sigh*

http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/watchtower.html

June 3rd 06, 04:41 PM
"mnemonic" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > "mnemonic" > wrote
> > >
> > > there's too much confusion in there! said the joker to the bee
> > >

> > Good morning!
>
> oh, good morning
>
> you caught me with my pants down to my knees both times
> as I was just waking up both times i posted
>
> i always thought it said keeper and bees
> so you say it's jokers and thieves hey
>
> my isp is down right now, im posting through my cell phone
> too tedious to look this up
>
> but aha! I have downloaded ring tone
>
> lol

You are so resourceful ... :) Nice to see you.

mnemonic
June 3rd 06, 08:18 PM
cybercat wrote:

> You are so resourceful ... :) Nice to see you.

aaaaaw man
i new someone was logged into my live webcast this morning

I didn't think it was active.. but my bandwidth meter kept peaking...

what did you see? did you see everything..?

cybercat
June 3rd 06, 09:02 PM
"mnemonic" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>

> > You are so resourceful ... :) Nice to see you.
>

> aaaaaw man
> i new someone was logged into my live webcast this morning
>
> I didn't think it was active.. but my bandwidth meter kept peaking...
>
> what did you see? did you see everything..?

EVrything. :)