PDA

View Full Version : Cat spay wound infection puss drainage, 10th day, done by 3rd world vet in Peru, help!

angela l
June 4th 06, 12:06 AM
We took Precious kittie, est. age 8, 9 months to be spayed at a small
vet clinic in Lima, Peru; after the surgery, wound seemed longer than
needed to be able to enter abdomen and remove the uterus and ovaries,
which we were shown after the butcher-like procedure. We were given no
post-op instructions, just that the cat wouldnīt be paralyzed, not to
worry about her walking half-paralyzed, dragging hind legs when
anethesia (ketamine) wore off on 2nd day. I had no idea she should have
been kept inside a box or cage, as to not move. An injection was given,
said it was an antibiotic. Precious kittie, didnīt complain much, she
mostly slept during the first 6 days. She was allowed to move about and
used her litter box normally. She seems like a fighter! We were
supposed to come back to have external stitches removed on the 7th day,
but on the 6th day, Precious kittie ended up with a 15cm incision up
from the wound toward her chest after cutting open and cleaning an
infection: a puss bubble. The original spay incision was 7cm long
(which was re-opened to clean the infection) and appeared sewn poorly.
We brought her back again the next day (the 8th day), following the
removal of the puss bubble, she was given another antibiotic im
injection, her wound was washed with soapy water, and then she seemed
fine. We were sold a small tube of Nutri-cal for $38 (seems expensive;
the whole procedure seems wrong, but what can I do here, in the 3rd
world, things are not honest, their licenses arenīt real, nobody
cares, not the police, they are kidnappers..anyway...) and we were told
not to feed cat food, which I donīt agree. Kittie has been eating
light and drinking water, however she hasnīt defecated today, only
urinated. The wound seems to have puss drainage, no blood. We are
cleaning it 2x daily. Kittie sleeps and moews happily, she responds to
food and we use Nurti-cal to get her to swallow antibiotic pills. We
were given a single tab of Floxocil, divided up in 7 tiny pieces to
give one daily with the Nutri-cal, is this enough? Kittie is wearing a
surgical collar with plastic mask, so she won't lick wound, which
costed us $20! The spay was $45, not that it matters, but I donīt
think it was a real schooled vet. I feel so terrible watching Precious
suffer in a box. I need help, any professional, authentic,
knowledgeable advice?

cybercat
June 4th 06, 02:28 AM
You need vet advice, so I am crossposting to alt.med.veterinary

"angela l" > wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

buglady
June 4th 06, 12:25 PM
> "angela l" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> We took Precious kittie, est. age 8, 9 months to be spayed at a small
> vet clinic in Lima, Peru;

.......she needs to find another vet. Lima is not a small town, I'm sure
there's other vet help available. I had a dog spayed once in Mexico and it
was the best job of stitching I'd ever seen with zero complications, so
don't assume because you're in Peru that good help can't be found.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Sharon
June 4th 06, 05:01 PM
> ......she needs to find another vet. Lima is not a small town, I'm sure
> there's other vet help available. I had a dog spayed once in Mexico and
> it
> was the best job of stitching I'd ever seen with zero complications, so
> don't assume because you're in Peru that good help can't be found.

And there are two veterinary schools. Vet schools in the states have
clinics. Can't imagine they wouldn't in Peru. One in San marcos:

http://veterinaria.unmsm.edu.pe/

....and one in Lima:

http://www.ucsur.edu.pe/facultades/veterinaria.asp

angela l
June 6th 06, 04:11 AM
buglady wrote:
> > "angela l" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > We took Precious kittie, est. age 8, 9 months to be spayed at a small
> > vet clinic in Lima, Peru;
>
> ......she needs to find another vet. Lima is not a small town, I'm sure
> there's other vet help available. I had a dog spayed once in Mexico and it
> was the best job of stitching I'd ever seen with zero complications, so
> don't assume because you're in Peru that good help can't be found.
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

Thank you for reading my post and for your kind concern, however,
Mexico is the 2nd world; Peru is the 3rd world. When tourists come here
like I did the first time 5 years ago, it appears to be a nice place. I
have beeen here for so long and learned I cannot even report this, as
there are no regulations. Turns out that woman, pretending to be a vet,
renting an old clinic and selling pet products, performs surgery under
a guise. After we had a new vet see Kittie, we learned the subcutaneo
was sewn, used fishingline, which explains the infection. She had
re-bobined a spool that said "surgical" with fishingline. Getting the
police involved would mean they extort more money from me, which is how
the law works here, hostage style, no kidding. On the bright side, I
did find a trained vet, a friend, with a private home visit-based
practice. He even told me here in Peru, the clinics are all about
harming animals, for the purpose of extorting money. Hospitals and even
banks here in Peru are run like a circus. The people are even treated
like animals, forced to cram 20 passengers into a 8 passenger van with
really bad exhaust and that is their only public transportation system.
Donīt get me wrong I love Peru, but I cannot trust the people. I just
hope Kittie makes it; letīs pray!

angela l
June 6th 06, 04:24 AM
Thank you for your time and concern, but those arenīt even real (vet)
schools here in Peru, just another group of people doing business in
order to take advantage of the poor and ignorant; they are set up to
make money under false pretenses. Anybody can pose as a college
professor, a lawyer, a doctor, etc. For the lack of open mindedness
(because in Peru the mindset is all about tradition and that is
mimicking what someone else did, and doing it very poorly) and lack of
education, they have very outdated practices. You have no idea how poor
people live in other countries till you travel as a non-tourist and
actually live there. Sorry for going on about this.

Sharon wrote:
> > ......she needs to find another vet. Lima is not a small town, I'm sure
> > there's other vet help available. I had a dog spayed once in Mexico and
> > it
> > was the best job of stitching I'd ever seen with zero complications, so
> > don't assume because you're in Peru that good help can't be found.
>
> And there are two veterinary schools. Vet schools in the states have
> clinics. Can't imagine they wouldn't in Peru. One in San marcos:
>
> http://veterinaria.unmsm.edu.pe/
>
> ...and one in Lima:
>
> http://www.ucsur.edu.pe/facultades/veterinaria.asp

angela l
June 6th 06, 04:36 AM
Update, found a real vet who works home-visit style because the clinics
are simply aweful places where they harm amimals in order to extort
money. Found the subcutaneo layer was sewn with fishingline (by that
butcher pretending to be a vet, which explains the infection). Tomorrow
this new doctor is coming to my house in the morning to see if the
(real) antibiotic is working and will have to re-suture everything, no
cost spared. Based on my limited knowledge, it seems the antibiotic
(injections given during 3 days) has to work to clear the infection as
to allow tissues to be sutured with special surgical supplies,
dissolvable stitches. If anyone has any ideas or advice, please send
comments.
angela l wrote:
> We took Precious kittie, est. age 8, 9 months to be spayed at a small
> vet clinic in Lima, Peru; after the surgery, wound seemed longer than
> needed to be able to enter abdomen and remove the uterus and ovaries,
> which we were shown after the butcher-like procedure. We were given no
> post-op instructions, just that the cat wouldnīt be paralyzed, not to
> worry about her walking half-paralyzed, dragging hind legs when
> anethesia (ketamine) wore off on 2nd day. I had no idea she should have
> been kept inside a box or cage, as to not move. An injection was given,
> said it was an antibiotic. Precious kittie, didnīt complain much, she
> mostly slept during the first 6 days. She was allowed to move about and
> used her litter box normally. She seems like a fighter! We were
> supposed to come back to have external stitches removed on the 7th day,
> but on the 6th day, Precious kittie ended up with a 15cm incision up
> from the wound toward her chest after cutting open and cleaning an
> infection: a puss bubble. The original spay incision was 7cm long
> (which was re-opened to clean the infection) and appeared sewn poorly.
> We brought her back again the next day (the 8th day), following the
> removal of the puss bubble, she was given another antibiotic im
> injection, her wound was washed with soapy water, and then she seemed
> fine. We were sold a small tube of Nutri-cal for $38 (seems expensive;
> the whole procedure seems wrong, but what can I do here, in the 3rd
> world, things are not honest, their licenses arenīt real, nobody
> cares, not the police, they are kidnappers..anyway...) and we were told
> not to feed cat food, which I donīt agree. Kittie has been eating
> light and drinking water, however she hasnīt defecated today, only
> urinated. The wound seems to have puss drainage, no blood. We are
> cleaning it 2x daily. Kittie sleeps and moews happily, she responds to
> food and we use Nurti-cal to get her to swallow antibiotic pills. We
> were given a single tab of Floxocil, divided up in 7 tiny pieces to
> give one daily with the Nutri-cal, is this enough? Kittie is wearing a
> surgical collar with plastic mask, so she won't lick wound, which
> costed us $20! The spay was $45, not that it matters, but I donīt
> think it was a real schooled vet. I feel so terrible watching Precious
> suffer in a box. I need help, any professional, authentic,
> knowledgeable advice?

cybercat
June 6th 06, 04:38 AM
"angela l" >

After we had a new vet see Kittie, we learned the subcutaneo
was sewn, used fishingline, which explains the infection. She had
re-bobined a spool that said "surgical" with fishingline. Getting the
police involved would mean they extort more money from me, which is how
the law works here, hostage style, no kidding. On the bright side, I
did find a trained vet, a friend, with a private home visit-based
practice. [...] Donīt get me wrong I love Peru, but I cannot trust the
people. I just
hope Kittie makes it; letīs pray!

What did the new vet say? I am so glad you got her seen by a real vet.
How does kitty seem?

June 6th 06, 05:00 AM
"angela l" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Update, found a real vet who works home-visit style because the clinics
are simply aweful places where they harm amimals in order to extort
money. Found the subcutaneo layer was sewn with fishingline (by that
butcher pretending to be a vet, which explains the infection). Tomorrow
this new doctor is coming to my house in the morning to see if the
(real) antibiotic is working and will have to re-suture everything, no
cost spared. Based on my limited knowledge, it seems the antibiotic
(injections given during 3 days) has to work to clear the infection as
to allow tissues to be sutured with special surgical supplies,
dissolvable stitches.

I hope the best for your kitty, I'm so glad you're taking such
good care of her. Peru sounds like a tough place to get good
vet care and that is a shame.

Sharon
June 6th 06, 05:30 AM
>You have no idea how poor
people live in other countries till you travel as a non-tourist and
actually live there.

Been there, done that. :-) Totally understand. Was just trying to give you
some sort of direction to go in. I encourage you to read the following
experience some North American veterinarians had in Peru:

http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/globalvets/peru/journey/lima.php

Especially check out the organization, Amigos de los Animales
http://www.anaaweb.org/ . Copied:

"We were all given the opportunity to work for at least one day with a
non-profit volunteer based organization called Amigos de los Animales. The
majority of their funding is provided by the World Society for the
Protection of Animals (WSPA) and by other donations. Amigos de los Animales
provides free veterinary care for abused and stray animals as well as for
people who cannot afford to treat, neuter or spay their animals."

The students stated that there are 14 veterinary colleges in Peru. Although
it seems that they may not be on par with a Cornell or Penn, I can't imagine
they're all crooked (and I speak as someone who has visited such countries
and their schools). The American Veterinary Medical Association lists the
following as having vet schools in Peru: Cajamarca, Chicayo, Chincha Alta,
Lima, Puno.

>Sorry for going on about this.

That's OK. Hope all gets better.

-L.
June 6th 06, 06:56 AM
angela l wrote:
> Update, found a real vet who works home-visit style because the clinics
> are simply aweful places where they harm amimals in order to extort
> money. Found the subcutaneo layer was sewn with fishingline (by that
> butcher pretending to be a vet, which explains the infection). Tomorrow
> this new doctor is coming to my house in the morning to see if the
> (real) antibiotic is working and will have to re-suture everything, no
> cost spared. Based on my limited knowledge, it seems the antibiotic
> (injections given during 3 days) has to work to clear the infection as
> to allow tissues to be sutured with special surgical supplies,
> dissolvable stitches. If anyone has any ideas or advice, please send
> comments.

Keep an eye on her vaginal area. If she is leaking pus from there at
all, she may need further surgery as the removal of the uterus and
ovaries may not have been done properly. I hope she improves.

-L.

buglady
June 6th 06, 12:16 PM
"angela l" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Mexico is the 2nd world; Peru is the 3rd world.
On the bright side, I
did find a trained vet, a friend, with a private home visit-based
practice. He even told me here in Peru, the clinics are all about
harming animals, for the purpose of extorting money.

..........there are bums everywhere. I'm glad you got some real help for
your kitty. I've lived in Peru and I don't believe it's quite as bad as all
that.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

angela l
June 8th 06, 02:29 AM
The new vet, a kind gentleman named Jose was blunt and honest. He said
she needs to show recovery progress in 5 days, or to consider putting
her to sleep: He did his best job restitching and successfully closed
the suncutaneo layer. Her wound, unsightly legnth from tummy to her
chest is uniform, with much less puss drainage, but he left space at
the bottom to more drainage, if necessary. We were instructed to keep
the area surrounding the stitches clean with gauze and peroxide, apply
iodine, and keep the wound dry. 2x daily was suggested? He is giving
antiobiotic injections. Then we will give Floxocil tabs (entire dose,
of course) with the Nutrical, keep feeding her, and keep her safe in
the recovery box. She doesnīt complian much. However, a few hours
after the re-surgery, the Ketamine was wearing off, she seemed to be
asleep having a bad dream and she jumped from the laying on her side
position, landing on all four paws. Then she meowed in pain and some
blood was seeping, but we stopped it with gentle gauze. The vet, again,
came back to look at it, the bleeding had stopped, and the area was
cleaned. He applied a topical healing solution made in the jungles of
"tree blood". It seemed harmless, and perhaps will help the wound
close. The "tree blood" solution is like a pliable liquid bandaid, with
a flexible feel. Kittie is calm in her box, looking at me. Any
insights, observations, comments? I appreciate it.
cybercat wrote:
> "angela l" >
>
> After we had a new vet see Kittie, we learned the subcutaneo
> was sewn, used fishingline, which explains the infection. She had
> re-bobined a spool that said "surgical" with fishingline. Getting the
> police involved would mean they extort more money from me, which is how
> the law works here, hostage style, no kidding. On the bright side, I
> did find a trained vet, a friend, with a private home visit-based
> practice. [...] Donīt get me wrong I love Peru, but I cannot trust the
> people. I just
> hope Kittie makes it; letīs pray!
>
> What did the new vet say? I am so glad you got her seen by a real vet.
> How does kitty seem?
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

angela l
June 8th 06, 02:42 AM
Yes, I understand where you are coming from, too. Unfortunately, we
thought that place was a real vet practice. Apparently, those other
animals were getting shapoooed or something. There are real vets here
in Peru, of course, but not one would accept the responsibility for the
terrible mess done by that butcher vet, which is why the new vet is
Godsent; he is working outside the clinic hours (not even illegal
here); he too, gets gigs at the hourse race track. Wish we would have
contracted him to come do a "home visit" surgery, but thought better
have it done at an animal clinic, unfortunately, not so plain to see
which clinic and no it is too late. We will ALL take good care of
Precious Kittie. THANKS FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT!
Sharon wrote:
> >You have no idea how poor
> people live in other countries till you travel as a non-tourist and
> actually live there.
>
> Been there, done that. :-) Totally understand. Was just trying to give you
> some sort of direction to go in. I encourage you to read the following
> experience some North American veterinarians had in Peru:
>
> http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/globalvets/peru/journey/lima.php
>
> Especially check out the organization, Amigos de los Animales
> http://www.anaaweb.org/ . Copied:
>
> "We were all given the opportunity to work for at least one day with a
> non-profit volunteer based organization called Amigos de los Animales. The
> majority of their funding is provided by the World Society for the
> Protection of Animals (WSPA) and by other donations. Amigos de los Animales
> provides free veterinary care for abused and stray animals as well as for
> people who cannot afford to treat, neuter or spay their animals."
>
> The students stated that there are 14 veterinary colleges in Peru. Although
> it seems that they may not be on par with a Cornell or Penn, I can't imagine
> they're all crooked (and I speak as someone who has visited such countries
> and their schools). The American Veterinary Medical Association lists the
> following as having vet schools in Peru: Cajamarca, Chicayo, Chincha Alta,
> Lima, Puno.
>
> >Sorry for going on about this.
>
> That's OK. Hope all gets better.

angela l
June 8th 06, 02:51 AM
I will be sure to monitor that closely. When the spay was done, that
evil vet gave us Kittie back and showed us the ovaries and uterus,
blood and all, like it was proper procedure (proof)? This image in my
head, I compared with images on the internet of the cat's anatomy and
spay procedure and it looked like it was removed completely. Recalling
that day being shown pieces of my cat's insides, I was shocked and now
realize, the look in her eyes, that evil woman operates without regard
for life nor respect for the animal. I hope she improves, too. She
continues strong!

> Keep an eye on her vaginal area. If she is leaking pus from there at
> all, she may need further surgery as the removal of the uterus and
> ovaries may not have been done properly. I hope she improves.
>
> -L.

angela l
June 8th 06, 03:01 AM
Yeah, I am just having bad luck here, so many things seem to happen to
me, a lot of bad. I am presently stuck here (good, I think, so I can
stay with Kittie longer, an extra hand in keepig her clean and stable),
Lan Peru won't acknowledge my ticket bought through the internet; I
have the receipt. In the meantime, I am with Kittie. Thank you for your
concerns.
buglady wrote:
> "angela l" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> Mexico is the 2nd world; Peru is the 3rd world.
> On the bright side, I
> did find a trained vet, a friend, with a private home visit-based
> practice. He even told me here in Peru, the clinics are all about
> harming animals, for the purpose of extorting money.
>
> .........there are bums everywhere. I'm glad you got some real help for
> your kitty. I've lived in Peru and I don't believe it's quite as bad as all
> that.
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

-L.
June 8th 06, 10:45 AM
angela l wrote:
> The new vet, a kind gentleman named Jose was blunt and honest. He said
> she needs to show recovery progress in 5 days, or to consider putting
> her to sleep: He did his best job restitching and successfully closed
> the suncutaneo layer. Her wound, unsightly legnth from tummy to her
> chest is uniform, with much less puss drainage, but he left space at
> the bottom to more drainage, if necessary. We were instructed to keep
> the area surrounding the stitches clean with gauze and peroxide, apply
> iodine, and keep the wound dry. 2x daily was suggested? He is giving
> antiobiotic injections. Then we will give Floxocil tabs (entire dose,
> of course) with the Nutrical, keep feeding her, and keep her safe in
> the recovery box. She doesnīt complian much. However, a few hours
> after the re-surgery, the Ketamine was wearing off, she seemed to be
> asleep having a bad dream and she jumped from the laying on her side
> position, landing on all four paws. Then she meowed in pain and some
> blood was seeping, but we stopped it with gentle gauze. The vet, again,
> came back to look at it, the bleeding had stopped, and the area was
> cleaned. He applied a topical healing solution made in the jungles of
> "tree blood". It seemed harmless, and perhaps will help the wound
> close. The "tree blood" solution is like a pliable liquid bandaid, with
> a flexible feel. Kittie is calm in her box, looking at me. Any
> insights, observations, comments? I appreciate it.

I must say this is one of the worst stories I have ever heard. Get her
to drink as much water as you can, and get her to eat. The weaker she
becomes, the more likely she is to succum to infection. Did he give
you any more pain meds for her? That incision is much larger than a
normal incision. I hopoe the (internal) muscles are stitched properly.

-L.

mnemonic
June 8th 06, 02:21 PM
angela l wrote:
> I compared with images on the internet of the cat's anatomy and
> spay procedure and it looked like it was removed completely. Recalling
> that day being shown pieces of my cat's insides, I was shocked and now
> realize, the look in her eyes, that evil woman operates without regard
> for life nor respect for the animal. I hope she improves, too. She
> continues strong!

Hi, yes, what a nightmare

So the evil woman showed you the removed parts
then you compared those parts to the same on the internet...

I just wanted to say I really hope your kitten does well

Hope you can return and let us know how kittie is doing.

Is she eating good yet?

See ya

angela l
June 10th 06, 10:04 PM
Well, she is eating, walking, and stretching, even wants to jump out of
her box (which we avoid to prevent further injury), so I think the
(internal) muscles are stitched properly. she is quite tame, calm, and
appears to be in no pain, only when we clean around the wound area.
Question, how soon would any fluid or blood drip out of her vagina if
the spay had been done poorly? It has been 16 days; she uses the litter
box. Thanks again.
-L. wrote:
> angela l wrote:
> > The new vet, a kind gentleman named Jose was blunt and honest. He said
> > she needs to show recovery progress in 5 days, or to consider putting
> > her to sleep: He did his best job restitching and successfully closed
> > the suncutaneo layer. Her wound, unsightly legnth from tummy to her
> > chest is uniform, with much less puss drainage, but he left space at
> > the bottom to more drainage, if necessary. We were instructed to keep
> > the area surrounding the stitches clean with gauze and peroxide, apply
> > iodine, and keep the wound dry. 2x daily was suggested? He is giving
> > antiobiotic injections. Then we will give Floxocil tabs (entire dose,
> > of course) with the Nutrical, keep feeding her, and keep her safe in
> > the recovery box. She doesnīt complian much. However, a few hours
> > after the re-surgery, the Ketamine was wearing off, she seemed to be
> > asleep having a bad dream and she jumped from the laying on her side
> > position, landing on all four paws. Then she meowed in pain and some
> > blood was seeping, but we stopped it with gentle gauze. The vet, again,
> > came back to look at it, the bleeding had stopped, and the area was
> > cleaned. He applied a topical healing solution made in the jungles of
> > "tree blood". It seemed harmless, and perhaps will help the wound
> > close. The "tree blood" solution is like a pliable liquid bandaid, with
> > a flexible feel. Kittie is calm in her box, looking at me. Any
> > insights, observations, comments? I appreciate it.
>
> I must say this is one of the worst stories I have ever heard. Get her
> to drink as much water as you can, and get her to eat. The weaker she
> becomes, the more likely she is to succum to infection. Did he give
> you any more pain meds for her? That incision is much larger than a
> normal incision. I hopoe the (internal) muscles are stitched properly.
>
> -L.

Morgen- http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com
June 12th 06, 04:50 AM
Sounds like kittie is making a good recovery. Take yourself and her to
the embassy and get out of Peru. You don't need the hassles.

Morgen
http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com/travel

June 12th 06, 10:07 AM
Avoid typing the same text again and again
Stop wasting your time on mouse movements
Open favorite web pages with a single hotkey press
Record keystrokes and play them back with a single hotkey press
http://www30.webSamba.com/SmartStudio
EnergyKey Save yourself from repetitive tasks