PDA

View Full Version : Cat-pee stink abatement stories requested

Brian Link
June 6th 06, 02:38 AM
There was a long time where our Bengal Louis preferred to pee on our
front door. We were able to keep the stink down by spraying
"Anti-Ickypoo" spray on the door and floor. Eventually Louis learned
to love his litterbox, and our house was stink-free.

In a characteristic move (sorry, hon), my wife decided to solve the
problem altogether by pulling up the threshhold boards and clean the
underfloor, which created a new, far more horrible problem.

After pulling up the threshhold, we found months of crystallized cat
urine underneath. We swept, swabbed and flooded the area in order to
get rid of it all. We've followed explicitly the directions of the
"ickypoo"-makers in treating the area, but now I'm afraid that her
flooding of the area has sent the ureic residue into the whole hall's
underfloor.

Now an unimaginable smell floods our whole entryway.

I'd expect that there might be a few folks here who have dealt with
cat-hoarders, and maybe a few who have attempted cleanups. When one
comes into our house, it smells like a cat-hoarder's house.

Our house is 40 years old, and I'd hate to have to pull up the tile in
the front hallway - but there's no way we can entertain or host guests
with that horrible stench.

I'm looking for war-stories of folks who've cleaned up terrible cat
messes like this. Thanks as always for your advice.

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

-L.
June 6th 06, 03:00 AM
Brian Link wrote:
> There was a long time where our Bengal Louis preferred to pee on our
> front door.
<snip>
***paste from an old post***

I recommend ODOKLEEN cleaner to remove any vomit, urine or feces (it
requires lots of rinsing, though - a wet vac works wonders for this),
and then treating the area with ODOKILL or NODOR to remove the odor.
I have yet to find an odor which is not removed using NODOR. ODOKLEEN
and ODOKILL are available through pet supply stores. NODOR is made by
Nu-Scents in Knoxville, TN, USA. They are a very small company and do
not ship outside of NA. Their product can be ordered in the US by
credit card by calling 1*(800)*262*9366. They ship via UPS. They are
very nice people. NODOR will kill male cat spray smell.

***

If there is cat urine where you cannot get to it, I'd flood the area
with a concentrated solution of NODOR, and let it dry. (If you can get
to it, wash it with ODOKLEEN using a shop vac, let it dry, and then
treat it with NODOR.

NODOR IS USED TO PROFESSIONALLY DE-STINK STABLES AND MILKING BARNS,
ETC.
(Oops - Sorry for the caps - little hands are helping...)
-L.

Charlie Wilkes
June 6th 06, 04:32 AM
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 20:38:11 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:

>Our house is 40 years old, and I'd hate to have to pull up the tile in
>the front hallway - but there's no way we can entertain or host guests
>with that horrible stench.

I can't say I'm an expert, but I know what I would do. I would pull
up the tiles and TSP everything. Don't "flood" it, just TSP it
several times with rags and let it dry. Then go at it with bleach and
finally sprinkle baking soda on it, copiously. Leave it open for a
few weeks and put some UV lights on it too... lizard lamps in good
porcelain fixtures that are solidly mounted so as not to start a fire.
That will help break down organic compounds.

Charlie

AZ Nomad
June 6th 06, 04:46 AM
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 20:38:11 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:

>There was a long time where our Bengal Louis preferred to pee on our
>front door. We were able to keep the stink down by spraying
>"Anti-Ickypoo" spray on the door and floor. Eventually Louis learned
>to love his litterbox, and our house was stink-free.

>In a characteristic move (sorry, hon), my wife decided to solve the
>problem altogether by pulling up the threshhold boards and clean the
>underfloor, which created a new, far more horrible problem.

>After pulling up the threshhold, we found months of crystallized cat
>urine underneath. We swept, swabbed and flooded the area in order to
>get rid of it all. We've followed explicitly the directions of the
>"ickypoo"-makers in treating the area, but now I'm afraid that her
>flooding of the area has sent the ureic residue into the whole hall's
>underfloor.

have you tried bleach?