PDA

View Full Version : Need tips on catching stray mother with kittens

Conan Kelly
June 7th 06, 08:45 PM
Hello all,

I need tips on catching a stray that has 3 or 4 kittens (4 - 8 weeks old--old enough to be playing around, climbing trees, etc.--mom
is still nursing but will probably ween them soon).

We have stray down the street from us raising her kittens in one of my neighbor's back yard. We are going to adopt the mom and
either find the babies good homes or just take them in too (just what we need, to add 1-5 cats to our 10 we already have). I want
to catch them and take them to the vet to get them checked out. I want to make sure they are not going to make our current feline
population sick if we bring them in.

Mom is an adorable, sweet, lovable cat and I can catch her anytime I want. She let's me pick her up and she loves on me. I've been
feeding her off and on for the past month. But I don't want to take her away from her babies. I'd like to try to catch them all
and take them all to the vet, keeping them together. The babies are still quite skittish around people. Every time we walk up to
them they run up the neighbor's tree and into their back yard/up onto their roof.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

Gail
June 7th 06, 09:07 PM
Catch the kittens. They are old enough to eat food on their own. The earlier
the better since young kittens have a good chance of being socialized pretty
quickly. Try a have a heart trap if you can borrow or buy one. Then, catch
the mother.You are terrific to help these cats.
Gail