PDA

View Full Version : What is required age for rabies shot?

Calvin Rice
June 8th 06, 03:23 AM
Six of my cats were born last August 7, and were spay/neutered at
age 5 months. But they have not had rabies shots yet. I need to
know the legally required age for the first rabies shot. Thanks for
any info.

Sherri
June 8th 06, 05:15 PM
Calvin Rice wrote:
> Six of my cats were born last August 7, and were spay/neutered at
> age 5 months. But they have not had rabies shots yet. I need to
> know the legally required age for the first rabies shot. Thanks for
> any info.

They can get their 1st rabies vac at 12 weeks and later. I'm surprised
they vet didnt give it to them when they got spay/neuter.

Calvin Rice
June 8th 06, 05:47 PM
Sherri wrote:
> Calvin Rice wrote:
> > Six of my cats were born last August 7, and were spay/neutered at
> > age 5 months. But they have not had rabies shots yet. I need to
> > know the legally required age for the first rabies shot. Thanks for
> > any info.

> They can get their 1st rabies vac at 12 weeks and later. I'm surprised
> they vet didnt give it to them when they got spay/neuter.

Thank you for the answer, but what I'm trying to find out is what the
law requires. Yes, I was told that they could have had the shots when
they were spay/neutered, but I didn't want anything extra that could
make them uncomfortable at that time.

Maybe the law varies from state to state, but what in general is the
legal requirement for the age a cat must have the first rabies shot?
My state is Georgia, by the way.

Toni
June 8th 06, 06:17 PM
"Calvin Rice" > wrote in message

> Maybe the law varies from state to state, but what in general is the
> legal requirement for the age a cat must have the first rabies shot?
> My state is Georgia, by the way.

As per Georgia Department of Agriculture (Google search)-

"By Georgia law, dogs, cats, and ferrets must get rabies vaccination when
they are twelve weeks of age or older and every year after that."

http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,38902732_40314790_40729045,00.html

They do not list an age at which time lack of a vaccine is "illegal", which
is what I think you are looking for.

There is detailed imformation here in the Georgia Rabies Control Manual
(also Google) http://tinyurl.com/kweo4 ., but again I am unable to find an
upper limit age.Your veterinarian would of course be more help to you on
this.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Calvin Rice
June 8th 06, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the information. Before I posted the question
I had already made vet appointments for tomorrow and
Tuesday for 8 of my 10 cats to have rabies shots. The
other two aren't due until August, and the two adults
gettimg shots now are overdue.

But I wasn't sure if the law requires me to get rabies shots
for the 6 young ones (10 months) before they are a year
old or not. In any case they will have them tomorrow and
Tuesday.

Rhonda
June 9th 06, 03:00 AM
The law is different everywhere. You might do a web search for your
county and state.

In our county, they are not required at all for cats. One county over,
they are required.

Rhonda