PDA

View Full Version : Rhode Island passes "spay it or pay it" law

MaryL
June 10th 06, 04:15 AM
Rhode Island has passed a law requiring cat owners to spay or neuter their
pets. Owners with pets over 6 months of age will be required to pay a fee
of $100 for a breeder's license and can be fined $75 per month. Subsidies
are available for low-income pet owners, and farmers are exempt.

The full article is here:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/09/fixed.cats.ap/index.html

June 10th 06, 05:41 AM
In article <[email protected]>, -
OUT-THE-LITTER says...
> Rhode Island has passed a law requiring cat owners to spay or neuter their
> pets. Owners with pets over 6 months of age will be required to pay a fee
> of $100 for a breeder's license and can be fined $75 per month. Subsidies
> are available for low-income pet owners, and farmers are exempt.
>
> The full article is here:
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/09/fixed.cats.ap/index.html

Fortunately both my cats are spayed/neutered. The problem is that a lot
of cats are adopted outside normal channels and the state will NEVER
know about it.

My aunt lives in Coventry, RI and there's a large feral cat colony in
the area. Of course there must be tons of inbreeding, etc. because there
isn't any new membership to the colony.

MaryL
June 10th 06, 01:04 PM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article <[email protected]>, -
> OUT-THE-LITTER says...
>> Rhode Island has passed a law requiring cat owners to spay or neuter
>> their
>> pets. Owners with pets over 6 months of age will be required to pay a
>> fee
>> of $100 for a breeder's license and can be fined $75 per month.
>> Subsidies
>> are available for low-income pet owners, and farmers are exempt.
>>
>> The full article is here:
>> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/09/fixed.cats.ap/index.html
>>

> Fortunately both my cats are spayed/neutered. The problem is that a lot
> of cats are adopted outside normal channels and the state will NEVER
> know about it.
>
> My aunt lives in Coventry, RI and there's a large feral cat colony in
> the area. Of course there must be tons of inbreeding, etc. because there
> isn't any new membership to the colony.

Is there a chapter of Alley Cat Allies in Coventry? If so, they are an
excellent organization to contact for TNR (trap/neuter/release) of feral
cats. This helps to reduce pet overpopulation. Our local chapter also
maintains feeding stations.

MaryL

AZ Nomad
June 10th 06, 06:20 PM
On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 22:15:45 -0500, MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>Rhode Island has passed a law requiring cat owners to spay or neuter their
>pets. Owners with pets over 6 months of age will be required to pay a fee
>of $100 for a breeder's license and can be fined $75 per month. Subsidies
>are available for low-income pet owners, and farmers are exempt.

Another public message in the form of an idiotic slogan.

How is paying your cat the equivelent of spaying your cat?

CatNipped
June 10th 06, 07:48 PM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 22:15:45 -0500, MaryL
> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>

>>Rhode Island has passed a law requiring cat owners to spay or neuter their
>>pets. Owners with pets over 6 months of age will be required to pay a fee
>>of $100 for a breeder's license and can be fined $75 per month. Subsidies
>>are available for low-income pet owners, and farmers are exempt.
>
> Another public message in the form of an idiotic slogan.
>
> How is paying your cat the equivelent of spaying your cat?

Yeah, and I hate assholes who use "it" instead of him or her when referring
to a pet.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

MaryL
June 10th 06, 07:58 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 22:15:45 -0500, MaryL
>> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>>

>>>Rhode Island has passed a law requiring cat owners to spay or neuter
>>>their
>>>pets. Owners with pets over 6 months of age will be required to pay a
>>>fee
>>>of $100 for a breeder's license and can be fined $75 per month.
>>>Subsidies
>>>are available for low-income pet owners, and farmers are exempt.
>>
>> Another public message in the form of an idiotic slogan.
>>
>> How is paying your cat the equivelent of spaying your cat?
>
> Yeah, and I hate assholes who use "it" instead of him or her when
> referring to a pet.
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

The "it" in the title was a direct quotation from the CNN article.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/09/fixed.cats.ap/index.html

MaryL

CatNipped
June 10th 06, 09:16 PM
news:[email protected]

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message

>>> Another public message in the form of an idiotic slogan.
>>>
>>> How is paying your cat the equivelent of spaying your cat?
>>
>> Yeah, and I hate assholes who use "it" instead of him or her when
>> referring to a pet.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>

> The "it" in the title was a direct quotation from the CNN article.
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/09/fixed.cats.ap/index.html
>
> MaryL

Yes, I know, that's who I meant (whoever dreamed up the slogan - not the
OP). Sorry I should have been clearer.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

P No Gree G O
June 10th 06, 09:23 PM
AZ Nomad wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 22:15:45 -0500, MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>

>>Rhode Island has passed a law requiring cat owners to spay or neuter their
>>pets. Owners with pets over 6 months of age will be required to pay a fee
>>of $100 for a breeder's license and can be fined $75 per month. Subsidies
>>are available for low-income pet owners, and farmers are exempt.
>

> Another public message in the form of an idiotic slogan.
>
> How is paying your cat the equivelent of spaying your cat?

"Spay or pay" would have been better and catchier.

MaryL
June 10th 06, 09:32 PM
"P No Gree G O" > wrote in message
> AZ Nomad wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 22:15:45 -0500, MaryL
>> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>>

>>>Rhode Island has passed a law requiring cat owners to spay or neuter
>>>their pets. Owners with pets over 6 months of age will be required to
>>>pay a fee of $100 for a breeder's license and can be fined $75 per month.
>>>Subsidies are available for low-income pet owners, and farmers are
>>>exempt.
>>

>> Another public message in the form of an idiotic slogan.
>>
>> How is paying your cat the equivelent of spaying your cat?
>>

> "Spay or pay" would have been better and catchier.

Yes, much better slogan. CatNipped also caught the reference to "it" (a
designation I also very much dislike, especially when someone refers to his
or her own cat as "it").

MaryL

AZ Nomad
June 10th 06, 09:59 PM
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 15:32:47 -0500, MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"P No Gree G O" > wrote in message
>> AZ Nomad wrote:

>>> Another public message in the form of an idiotic slogan.
>>>
>>> How is paying your cat the equivelent of spaying your cat?
>>>

>> "Spay or pay" would have been better and catchier.
>>

>Yes, much better slogan. CatNipped also caught the reference to "it" (a
>designation I also very much dislike, especially when someone refers to his
>or her own cat as "it").

Besides, kitty would only be an "it" after being neutered.

CatNipped
June 10th 06, 10:02 PM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 15:32:47 -0500, MaryL
> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>>> "Spay or pay" would have been better and catchier.
>>>

>>Yes, much better slogan. CatNipped also caught the reference to "it" (a
>>designation I also very much dislike, especially when someone refers to
>>his
>>or her own cat as "it").
>
> Besides, kitty would only be an "it" after being neutered.

No, not even then. I've had a hysterectomy and would very much object to
being called "it" instead of "her" because of it.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

kurupt
June 10th 06, 10:13 PM
MaryL wrote:

> Yes, much better slogan. CatNipped also caught the reference to "it" (a
> designation I also very much dislike, especially when someone refers to his
> or her own cat as "it").

I think the law will help in reducing the population

although if it was my choice to pass the law or not, I don't think I
would have passed this sort of law entirely.

I think there are other ways to educate the public.

Overpopulation effects everyone; I believe it's a worthy enough cause
to allot state funds to it.

I think there should be state sponsored clinics where anyone can cat
their dog or cat neutered.

back to the law, I think I would have kept the part about breeders
paying a fee of some sort.. I also think that fee should be
outrageous...like... $5,000 per year. that money would go to pay for
the subsequent irresponsible acts of people who bought their wares.

-L.
June 12th 06, 06:43 AM
MaryL wrote:
> Rhode Island has passed a law requiring cat owners to spay or neuter their
> pets. Owners with pets over 6 months of age will be required to pay a fee
> of $100 for a breeder's license and can be fined $75 per month. Subsidies
> are available for low-income pet owners, and farmers are exempt.
>
> The full article is here:
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/09/fixed.cats.ap/index.html

Excellent! Now maybe other states will follow...
-L.

-L.
June 12th 06, 06:46 AM
CatNipped wrote:

> Yeah, and I hate assholes who use "it" instead of him or her when referring
> to a pet.

But if you don't know the sex of the cat what are you supposed to say?
"Him" for all sex-unknown animals, like we use in English for humans?
IMO, being called HIM is worse than being called IT! ;) At least with
"it" you are being gender-neutral....

-L.

CatNipped
June 12th 06, 01:51 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> CatNipped wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, and I hate assholes who use "it" instead of him or her when
>> referring
>> to a pet.
>
> But if you don't know the sex of the cat what are you supposed to say?
> "Him" for all sex-unknown animals, like we use in English for humans?
> IMO, being called HIM is worse than being called IT! ;) At least with
> "it" you are being gender-neutral....
>
> -L.

I just try to say "the cat" whenever instead of using a pronoun I'm not sure
of. ;>

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

~2óWorth~
June 13th 06, 12:31 AM
--
~2óWorth~

"Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive."

-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

> >> "Spay or pay" would have been better and catchier.
> >>

> >Yes, much better slogan. CatNipped also caught the reference to
"it" (a
> >designation I also very much dislike, especially when someone
refers to his
> >or her own cat as "it").
>
> Besides, kitty would only be an "it" after being neutered.

I have 2 male neuters but there's still a lot of "tomcat" intact in
the alpha's personality to where I'll always think of him as "he."

cybercat
June 13th 06, 12:41 AM
"~2óWorth~" > wrote

> > Besides, kitty would only be an "it" after being neutered.
>
> I have 2 male neuters but there's still a lot of "tomcat" intact in
> the alpha's personality to where I'll always think of him as "he."

Of course. It someone cut your balls off, would that "desex" you?