PDA

View Full Version : What breed of cat is this one?

June 10th 06, 10:26 PM
This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had. For a start, it
rarely ever meowed, instead, it cooed like a pigeon. It also had those
thick horizontal long hairs in the ears, perhaps you can see them in
the first pic. It was also extremely smart. It had a very strange
personality, as if it wasn't a cat, sometimes more like a dog,
sometimes even like a human. Although owned from being an 8wk old
kitten, born in an animal shelter, it never seemed willing to be
treated as a pet. It felt as if it insisted on being treated as an
equal. I know all cats are perhaps like that, but this one was an order
of a magnitude more so than any other i'd come across, and I grew up
with families of them. For example, it'd never come close and rub its
body against your leg, in fact, knowing it, that was unthinkable. It
didn't want to be petted, but enjoyed playfighting. It liked going out
on walks, just like dogs, and it walked along with you as you can see
in the second picture. Sometimes if the walk entailed an exciting field
it ran energetically around it and if you called it it ran back to you.
You'd have to see how it'd run across the field back to you when you
called it, just like a dog! And something about it was quite mature,
even from very young age. It's like it considered itself a human,
wanted to stay with humans, and looked at other animals as if they were
lowly, stupid and immature. It's hard to describe, you'd have had to
experience it in person to feel how different it was from other cats.

http://i6.tinypic.com/13zpaf7.jpg
http://i6.tinypic.com/13zviwl.jpg

cybercat
June 10th 06, 10:33 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had.

Was "it" a boy or a girl and what happened to "it?"

June 10th 06, 11:00 PM
cybercat wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had.
>

> Was "it" a boy or a girl and what happened to "it?"

It was a boy. Died from cat flue even though he got jabbed for it.

June 10th 06, 11:00 PM
cybercat wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had.
>

> Was "it" a boy or a girl and what happened to "it?"

It was a boy. Died from cat flue even though he got jabbed for it.

June 10th 06, 11:01 PM
cybercat wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had.
>

> Was "it" a boy or a girl and what happened to "it?"

It was a boy. Died from cat flue even though he got jabbed for it.

cybercat
June 10th 06, 11:37 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > >
> > > This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had.
> >

> > Was "it" a boy or a girl and what happened to "it?"
> >

> It was a boy. Died from cat flue even though he got jabbed for it.

What is "cat flu?"

June 10th 06, 11:53 PM
cybercat wrote:

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...

> > > oups.com...

> > > Was "it" a boy or a girl and what happened to "it?"
> > >

> > It was a boy. Died from cat flue even though he got jabbed for it.
>
> What is "cat flu?"

Wait, I got confused with bird flu. He died with feline leukaemia.

cybercat
June 11th 06, 12:08 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

> > > It was a boy. Died from cat flue even though he got jabbed for it.
> >
> > What is "cat flu?"
> >

> Wait, I got confused with bird flu. He died with feline leukaemia.

That is very sad. He sounds special. He looks kind of like a Maine Coon cat.

jmc
June 11th 06, 12:19 AM
Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (6/10/2006
5:26 PM):
> This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had. For a start, it
> rarely ever meowed, instead, it cooed like a pigeon. It also had those
> thick horizontal long hairs in the ears, perhaps you can see them in
> the first pic. It was also extremely smart. It had a very strange
> personality, as if it wasn't a cat, sometimes more like a dog,
> sometimes even like a human. Although owned from being an 8wk old
> kitten, born in an animal shelter, it never seemed willing to be
> treated as a pet. It felt as if it insisted on being treated as an
> equal. I know all cats are perhaps like that, but this one was an order
> of a magnitude more so than any other i'd come across, and I grew up
> with families of them. For example, it'd never come close and rub its
> body against your leg, in fact, knowing it, that was unthinkable. It
> didn't want to be petted, but enjoyed playfighting. It liked going out
> on walks, just like dogs, and it walked along with you as you can see
> in the second picture. Sometimes if the walk entailed an exciting field
> it ran energetically around it and if you called it it ran back to you.
> You'd have to see how it'd run across the field back to you when you
> called it, just like a dog! And something about it was quite mature,
> even from very young age. It's like it considered itself a human,
> wanted to stay with humans, and looked at other animals as if they were
> lowly, stupid and immature. It's hard to describe, you'd have had to
> experience it in person to feel how different it was from other cats.
>
> http://i6.tinypic.com/13zpaf7.jpg
> http://i6.tinypic.com/13zviwl.jpg

Sounds and looks a lot like the Maine Coon I had some years ago. Sorry
to hear he died though.

jmc

Cheryl
June 11th 06, 01:43 AM
On Sat 10 Jun 2006 05:26:34p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

> http://i6.tinypic.com/13zpaf7.jpg
> http://i6.tinypic.com/13zviwl.jpg

The pictures look like he had a lot of Maine Coon in him, but
probably mixed. That said, every brown tabby I've ever had the
privilege of knowing were very big, very smart, and very unique.
There's something about these big tabbies that makes them seem almost
human, or sometimes almost dog-like, and every single one I've known
don't like to be held, but love attention on their own terms. I have
a big brown tabby, along with his sister littermate. She's a gray
tabby. He has the same temperament as every other brown tabby I've
known. His sister has moments of being a lap cat, but her brother
never will be. They were both rescued from the wild with their other
littermates at about 5 weeks, but they have a strong prey drive. A
former feral that lives with me doesn't have a prey drive that I can
see at all. She's a solid black. I believe that the genes that
determine their color bring along certain traits that determine
temperament and instinct. I'm not a breeder, so it's a guess.

--
Cheryl

Morgen- http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com
June 12th 06, 04:36 AM
The cat looks like a MC cross. They are very intelligent, some even
more than people! If the tail was as long as the body, more MC in the
blood still.

Morgen
http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com/behaviors

~2óWorth~
June 12th 06, 06:17 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed
(6/10/2006
It's hard to describe, you'd have had to
> > experience it in person to feel how different it was from other
cats.

> > http://i6.tinypic.com/13zpaf7.jpg
> > http://i6.tinypic.com/13zviwl.jpg
> >

> Sounds and looks a lot like the Maine Coon I had some years ago.
Sorry
> to hear he died though.
>
> jmc

He looks a lot like one of my cats that is half Himalayan and half
?(some kind of shorthaired with lots of multi-colored markings.)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g197/DogH2O/chewyx.jpg

I've seen a kind of African wild cat that overall looks like both
cats.

~2óWorth

June 29th 06, 12:45 AM
Morgen- http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com wrote:

> The cat looks like a MC cross. They are very intelligent, some even
> more than people! If the tail was as long as the body, more MC in the
> blood still.
>
> Morgen
> http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com/behaviors

Yeah he does look a lot like this tabby kitten, the one you can see at
the end of the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL6ivTtO8SI