PDA

View Full Version : moving to another state

Laila
June 11th 06, 01:01 AM
i'll be moving from NYC to Tucson with my kitty. we'll have to stay in
a hotel for a few days, while i check out some apartments. what's the
best way to transport her and making her comfortable. should buy a
litter box there, when arrive? there are some hotels that allow pets,
so it's ok to keep her there. she had all her shots this winter. do i
need to have them repeated for the airline? the flight is about 7 hrs,
so she won't be able to eat, drink, or use a litter box for almost 10
hrs. is that something that's dangerous for her? all help will be
greatly appreciated.

jmc
June 11th 06, 02:02 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Laila exclaimed (6/10/2006 8:01 PM):
> i'll be moving from NYC to Tucson with my kitty. we'll have to stay in
> a hotel for a few days, while i check out some apartments. what's the
> best way to transport her and making her comfortable. should buy a
> litter box there, when arrive? there are some hotels that allow pets,
> so it's ok to keep her there. she had all her shots this winter. do i
> need to have them repeated for the airline? the flight is about 7 hrs,
> so she won't be able to eat, drink, or use a litter box for almost 10
> hrs. is that something that's dangerous for her? all help will be
> greatly appreciated.

Meep has traveled much longer than that on an airplane (14+ hours), an
we've regularly traveled with her in a car all day. She's never shown a
desire to use the box (we used to carry one that she could access during
breaks) or eat, and only rarely would deign to drink - she prefers to
wait until we get to a hotel. On a flight, usually they're too scared
to want to eat or drink, and due to the prospect of airsickness it's
probably best they don't, anyway.

As for the litterbox issue, one suggestion I've heard is to line the
bottom of the box, under the padding, with dog piddle pads - that way if
they have to go, it's soaked up by that. Meep has a vetfleece pad, so I
think that allows any wetness to sink down, and won't let it back up.

Good luck with your travel. Incidentally, in case you were considering
it, advice runs to NOT tranquilizing your cat for travel. We've never
done that with Meep and she gets through it just fine.

jmc

JJ
June 11th 06, 06:56 PM
Laila wrote:
> i'll be moving from NYC to Tucson with my kitty. we'll have to stay in
> a hotel for a few days, while i check out some apartments. what's the
> best way to transport her and making her comfortable. should buy a
> litter box there, when arrive? there are some hotels that allow pets,
> so it's ok to keep her there. she had all her shots this winter. do i
> need to have them repeated for the airline? the flight is about 7 hrs,
> so she won't be able to eat, drink, or use a litter box for almost 10
> hrs. is that something that's dangerous for her? all help will be
> greatly appreciated.

I would consult Vet regarding tranquilization, in the past - I have
used ace and recommend this medication. It reduces motion sickness and
helps cat cope with the stress of the journey - ask your Vet for help
with this. If shots are up to date then your vet might be able to write
you and inter-state travel health certificate (USDA certificate) - most
states require valid rabies shot for this. This will be handy just in
case.

I have found most hotels accept pets - I like comfort inn.....often
though - they stick you in the smoking room - which is NOT fun if you
are not a smoker.

If you are planning to leave your cat somewhere while you are seeking
permanent living space in your new city - you should probably "board"
cat upon arrival. Kitty will be safe and you will not have to fear
hotel/motel folks accidentally letting cat out of room while you are
not there. That would be horrible - so I recommend boarding. Many
Vets board cats especially if it is up to date on shots.

Find out what vets are in the area where you are going - and then check
in kitty when you arrive - it will only be temporary and much safer -
plus then - you will not have to stay in a pet room at hotel. Perhaps
your veterinarian can recommend another veterinarian in the new place
that would board your kitty.

Lastly, please make sure that your cat is ID'd before your trip. I
recommend microchip as well as id on the kitty such as a tag on the
collar etc....

Good luck.

Gail Futoran
June 12th 06, 03:13 AM
"Laila" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> i'll be moving from NYC to Tucson with my kitty.

In 1974 I moved from the Washington DC area
to Tuscon with two cats. We flew that time.
Other moves (my husband was military) we were
able to drive.

we'll have to stay in
> a hotel for a few days, while i check out some apartments. what's the
> best way to transport her and making her comfortable.

For the flight, definitely get a good carrier. They
are readily available at pet stores, not that
expensive. When traveling with my cats I always
put a worn t-shirt in with them, so my scent
would (supposedly) help them stay calm. The
carrier can then be used in the hotel as a safe
place to keep the cat while you're out. Else
the cat might get out when the cleaning staff
comes in.

should buy a
> litter box there, when arrive?

I don't understand that question. Why wouldn't
you buy a litter box? :) Hotels that allow pets
shouldn't have a problem with you having a litter
box in the room. I would put an old, large
bath towel under it to collect some of the litter.

there are some hotels that allow pets,
> so it's ok to keep her there. she had all her shots this winter. do i
> need to have them repeated for the airline?

I don't think the airlines care, but you should
check with them.

the flight is about 7 hrs,
> so she won't be able to eat, drink, or use a litter box for almost 10
> hrs. is that something that's dangerous for her? all help will be
> greatly appreciated.

When my two cats went by airline, I tranqualized
them, per my vet. They did just fine. You might
check with your vet. Some recommendations
might have changed over the decades.

Gail F.

Morgen- http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com
June 12th 06, 04:31 AM
There are hotel chains that accept pets, and not all the rooms are
smoking rooms. Make a reservation first, and let them know you have a
cat. They often make a one-time charge for the pet in your room.
Keeping the cat in the carrier while you are out is a good idea, and
also put a label on the door that there is a pet, please do not
disturb, so housekeeping doesn't mistakenly let your cat out.

There are only certain carriers that are approved by the airlines. You
can put a covered litter box in the carriers, with water a bowl that
won't tip, or use one of those bottles that attach to the side of the
carrier/door. You can get one at a pet supply store.

Current thinking is to NOT tranquilize your cat during travel. It may
complain and talk, but that's just fine.

Be sure to let the airlines know you have a cat and be sure the carrier
has your name, the cat's name and a destination contact name and phone
number on it. Be sure to mark the carrier with "Live Animals" on the
outside in clear block letters - there are labels available.

Morgen
http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com/travel

Morgen- http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com
June 12th 06, 04:32 AM
Sorry, I forgot - Take a health certificate that shows up to date
vaccinations with you. And get a referral to a vet in Tucson.

Morgen
http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com/travel

Laila
June 26th 06, 03:22 AM
Morgen- http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot - Take a health certificate that shows up to date
> vaccinations with you. And get a referral to a vet in Tucson.
>
> Morgen
> http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com/travel

thanks. i did aget a certificate of health from our NYC vet. she said
that the airline might have needed a certificate that's been made 5
days before travel. i guess i'll call the airline. Shaina is pretty
good about traveling and doesn't talk or cry much, but i still feel bad
for putting her through this.

thanks, everyone.

ccclove499
August 2nd 11, 08:44 PM
I can't wait to make the move! I'm in the process of finding a moving company. Can anyone make any recommendations? I am looking into Allied (http://www.allied.com/) but I would like to hear someones first hand review of their services. Let me know if you have used them! What about my cats? Will they move them?