PDA

View Full Version : age of male cat to breed

chichindk
June 11th 06, 05:56 PM
I am watchinf my mother inlaws cat and she is in heat.. i have a 9 week old
kitten.. beacuae he is so young he cant get her pregnant right?? please help
i dont want babies!!

Gail
June 11th 06, 06:52 PM
9 weeks is too young to breed. Your mother in law's cat should be spayed and
your cat neutered in the near future.
Gail
"chichindk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I am watchinf my mother inlaws cat and she is in heat.. i have a 9 week old
> kitten.. beacuae he is so young he cant get her pregnant right?? please
> help
> i dont want babies!!

chichindk
June 11th 06, 10:13 PM
we are getting her spayed in 2 weeks we cant now because her liver enzymes
are high.. how old or young is a male cat when he is able to breed
Gail wrote:
>9 weeks is too young to breed. Your mother in law's cat should be spayed and
>your cat neutered in the near future.
>Gail
>>I am watchinf my mother inlaws cat and she is in heat.. i have a 9 week old
>> kitten.. beacuae he is so young he cant get her pregnant right?? please
>> help
>> i dont want babies!!

Gail
June 11th 06, 10:14 PM
About 6 months old. (although they can breed at 5 months sometimes.....)
Gail
"chichindk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> we are getting her spayed in 2 weeks we cant now because her liver enzymes
> are high.. how old or young is a male cat when he is able to breed
> Gail wrote:
>>9 weeks is too young to breed. Your mother in law's cat should be spayed
>>and
>>your cat neutered in the near future.
>>Gail
>>>I am watchinf my mother inlaws cat and she is in heat.. i have a 9 week
>>>old
>>> kitten.. beacuae he is so young he cant get her pregnant right?? please
>>> help
>>> i dont want babies!!

chichindk via CatKB.com
June 12th 06, 12:40 AM
thanks!!~

Gail wrote:
>About 6 months old. (although they can breed at 5 months sometimes.....)
>Gail
>> we are getting her spayed in 2 weeks we cant now because her liver enzymes
>> are high.. how old or young is a male cat when he is able to breed
>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]

rrb
June 12th 06, 01:39 AM
chichindk wrote:
> we are getting her spayed in 2 weeks we cant now because her liver enzymes
> are high.. how old or young is a male cat when he is able to breed

How old is she?

I think you should get him neutered at 4 months if possible dependant on
your vets recommendation (as I do not know his history or health
status). Sometimes if you wait to long he can start spraying or
exhibiting other unwanted behavior which is hard to stop after it has
started.

Morgen- http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com
June 12th 06, 04:41 AM
Your cats need to be almost full grown before spaying or neutering.
That said, even though the cat may not be completely grown, 7 months is
optimal for females, 6 months for males. They can be altered before
this, but if the male is of persian descent or has a lot of persian
blood, the cat needs to be 18 months old before neutering. They have a
condition where one of the testicles drops late, so even neutered for
the one testicle, they can breed.

Both can be spayed/neutered as early as 5 months. Just expect the cats
to be fatter, less active and smaller-boned by being altered that
early. Extra play can help with the weight issue.

Morgen
http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com/behaviors