PDA

View Full Version : My Little Allergic "EGC" Asthmatic Cat

cybercat
June 12th 06, 03:14 AM
Last I posted she was doing great and had not had any wheezing or bumps (she
has the linear granuloma type of Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex) since last
November which is when she had her last Depo Medrol shot. She is not on any
other medications, is on a canned-only diet of food with no wheat gluten or
other meal products, and I keep dust, perfumes, cleaning fluids, other
chemicals and smoke away from her as well as I can.

She began scratching more than usual ten days ago and by Thursday I noticed
that she had little scabs on the baldish places in front of her ears--and
that the mucus membrane just inside her lower lip had begun to swell a
little. This would be the second time in four years that she has not had the
linear granuloma bumps on the back of her legs, but got the lip lesion
instead. (I thought they had to have one or the other but I guess not.)

Anyway, Friday evening she got a Depo Medrol shot, and I have already
noticed that she is not scratching much. The vet said that while asthmatic
cats often need Depo shots more than twice a year, the drug stays in the
system for six months in sufficient concentration to keep allergic cats from
scratching themselves raw.

Her checkup was fine--though she is down to 7 pounds, she tends to lose
weight in the summer, for whatever reason. I have increased her canned food
by a little each day as she is best at about 7.5.

-L.
June 12th 06, 06:14 AM
cybercat wrote:
> Last I posted she was doing great and had not had any wheezing or bumps (she
> has the linear granuloma type of Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex) since last
> November which is when she had her last Depo Medrol shot. She is not on any
> other medications, is on a canned-only diet of food with no wheat gluten or
> other meal products, and I keep dust, perfumes, cleaning fluids, other
> chemicals and smoke away from her as well as I can.
>
> She began scratching more than usual ten days ago and by Thursday I noticed
> that she had little scabs on the baldish places in front of her ears--and
> that the mucus membrane just inside her lower lip had begun to swell a
> little. This would be the second time in four years that she has not had the
> linear granuloma bumps on the back of her legs, but got the lip lesion
> instead. (I thought they had to have one or the other but I guess not.)

My Mimi has EGC and tends to get lesions on her lips and chin. She
does occassionally get them along her spine and back of her legs, so
it's not uncommon to see them present in multiple places, especially as
the cat ages.

> Anyway, Friday evening she got a Depo Medrol shot, and I have already
> noticed that she is not scratching much. The vet said that while asthmatic
> cats often need Depo shots more than twice a year, the drug stays in the
> system for six months in sufficient concentration to keep allergic cats from
> scratching themselves raw.
>
> Her checkup was fine--though she is down to 7 pounds, she tends to lose
> weight in the summer, for whatever reason. I have increased her canned food
> by a little each day as she is best at about 7.5.

How old is she? Cats tend to lose weight over time, after about age
12-15. It's just a trend I noticed at the vet, and my boss concurred -
he didn't seem to think it was anything to get too concerned about.
And as you stated, some cats do fluxuate with the weather - natural
survival instincts make them chow down more in Fall and Winter. My
Mom's cat Pinky used to become a big, fluffy orange butterball in the
Winter (indoor/outdoor).

-L.

Phil P.
June 12th 06, 06:37 AM
We had surrender that had eosinophilic plaque- its just a different form of
the same disease process. She's been getting a concentrated dose of
omega-3s- 3V Caps (DVM Pharmaceuticals). The scratching has almost stopped
completely and the lesion is fading. Don't use Derm Caps or any omega-3s
that come from plant sources- they contain too much omega-6- which are
proinflammatory. 3V omega-3s come from cold water fish and contain more
omega-3 and less omega-6. They're also more bioavailable than plant-derived
omega-3s and they're balanced with antioxidants (vitamin E).

DVM makes two versions of 3V Caps: regular and

http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/display.html?c=6&fam=3VCaps%20Liquid

HP (high potency).

http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/display.html?c=6&fam=3VCaps%20Liquid%20HP

The HP is very strong and your cat might like it. I had to switch from HP
to the regular.

You might want to speak to the vet at DVM (Dr. Kristin Boos) 1-800-759-3664
x 1383 to calculate the exact dose for your cat. The dosing recommendations
on the bottles is too wide. If your cat doesn't like it or if it doesn't
help, you can get a full refund. When I switched from the HP to regular, I
received the replacement in 3 days.

My hyperthy/CRF cat has been on 3V for about a month and her GFR *increased*
and BUN/Creatinine came down! Her kidney values are now high normal and her
USG has increased from 1.011 to 1.023!

I had to opt for the I-131 because the Tapazole affected her appetite to the
point where almost stopped eating completely. It was definitely the
Tapazole itself and not simply the bitter taste- I always put the 1/2 in a
#4 gelcap followed by a 10 ml chicken broth chaser. From day one she never
tasted the Tapazole so I know it wasn't the taste the killed her appetite.
The Tapazole also drove her WBC down to borderline leukopenia.

Anyway, the radiologist gave her a lower than usual dose of I-131- and hit
the perfect dose right on the head. Her post I-131 kidney levels were
almost identical to her kidney levels while she was on Tap. Now, they're
actually better and will improve a little more as more of her normal thyroid
tissue becomes functional again. Hyperthy surppresses normal functioning
thyroid tissue- it takes a few months after I-131 to become fully fuctional
again.

I'm buried in kittens! As soon as I finish feeding the last one, the first
one is ready for another feeding- I have to start the feeding cycle all over
again! lol! It seems like last kitten season never ended. Good thing
someone's helping with the colonies!

Don't forget to call Dr. Koos. She's really great. Tell her I said hello
and thanks.

Good luck,

Phil

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Last I posted she was doing great and had not had any wheezing or bumps
(she
> has the linear granuloma type of Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex) since
last
> November which is when she had her last Depo Medrol shot. She is not on
any
> other medications, is on a canned-only diet of food with no wheat gluten
or
> other meal products, and I keep dust, perfumes, cleaning fluids, other
> chemicals and smoke away from her as well as I can.
>
> She began scratching more than usual ten days ago and by Thursday I
noticed
> that she had little scabs on the baldish places in front of her ears--and
> that the mucus membrane just inside her lower lip had begun to swell a
> little. This would be the second time in four years that she has not had
the
> linear granuloma bumps on the back of her legs, but got the lip lesion
> instead. (I thought they had to have one or the other but I guess not.)
>
> Anyway, Friday evening she got a Depo Medrol shot, and I have already
> noticed that she is not scratching much. The vet said that while asthmatic
> cats often need Depo shots more than twice a year, the drug stays in the
> system for six months in sufficient concentration to keep allergic cats
from
> scratching themselves raw.
>
> Her checkup was fine--though she is down to 7 pounds, she tends to lose
> weight in the summer, for whatever reason. I have increased her canned
food
> by a little each day as she is best at about 7.5.
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

-L.
June 12th 06, 06:41 AM
Phil P. wrote:

> I'm buried in kittens! As soon as I finish feeding the last one, the first
> one is ready for another feeding- I have to start the feeding cycle all over
> again! lol! It seems like last kitten season never ended. Good thing
> someone's helping with the colonies!

Are you feeding bottle babies? God, I remember those days...and
nights! ;)
-L.

cybercat
June 12th 06, 05:42 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
s.com...

> My Mimi has EGC and tends to get lesions on her lips and chin. She
> does occassionally get them along her spine and back of her legs, so
> it's not uncommon to see them present in multiple places, especially as
> the cat ages.

Good to know. Do you get the shots or do oral pred or control it in
some other way? How often does Mimi need treatment?

> > Her checkup was fine--though she is down to 7 pounds, she tends to lose
> > weight in the summer, for whatever reason. I have increased her canned
food
> > by a little each day as she is best at about 7.5.
>
> How old is she?

I thnk she was a year old when I adopted her in 2001, so I guess she is 6-7.
There are times when she will not finish her food and I have to throw it
away.
I keep dry food down for her when this happens because she is so skinny, but
usually she will not touch it. Other times she eats all of her canned food.

Cats tend to lose weight over time, after about age
> 12-15. It's just a trend I noticed at the vet, and my boss concurred -
> he didn't seem to think it was anything to get too concerned about.
> And as you stated, some cats do fluxuate with the weather - natural
> survival instincts make them chow down more in Fall and Winter. My
> Mom's cat Pinky used to become a big, fluffy orange butterball in the
> Winter (indoor/outdoor).

This makes sense, both the age thing and the seasonal thing. Happily,
since she got her shot, Gracie is eating all of her canned at breakfast
so I put down more, and she ate all of that too yesterday! I figure as
long as she is really skinny I will feed her all she wants. But, also,
she has that "oriental" build, you know? Triangular head, huge eyes,
long skinny legs, long tail, long skinny body. It is actually hilarious the
way she runs all over the house with her tail held high like the mast
of a tallship. She runs from us everywhere except upstairs in the
main bedroom or in my office, she just zips all over the house.

How did you come to get Mimi? Does she also have asthma?

June 12th 06, 05:54 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> We had surrender that had eosinophilic plaque- its just a different form
of
> the same disease process.

Interestiing, thanks for letting me know. I will Google the phrase for more
information.

>She's been getting a concentrated dose of
> omega-3s- 3V Caps (DVM Pharmaceuticals). The scratching has almost
stopped
> completely and the lesion is fading.

Wow! And no steroid side effects! That is great--these are omega-3 fatty
acids,
right? Like the kind in the fish oil gelcaps I took until I got tired of
burping up fish
when I had not had any for dinner!

Don't use Derm Caps or any omega-3s
> that come from plant sources- they contain too much omega-6- which are
> proinflammatory. 3V omega-3s come from cold water fish and contain more
> omega-3 and less omega-6. They're also more bioavailable than
plant-derived
> omega-3s and they're balanced with antioxidants (vitamin E).
>
> DVM makes two versions of 3V Caps: regular and
>
> http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/display.html?c=6&fam=3VCaps%20Liquid
>
> HP (high potency).

http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/display.html?c=6&fam=3VCaps%20Liquid%20HP

> The HP is very strong and your cat might like it. I had to switch from HP
> to the regular.
>
> You might want to speak to the vet at DVM (Dr. Kristin Boos)
1-800-759-3664
> x 1383 to calculate the exact dose for your cat. The dosing
recommendations
> on the bottles is too wide. If your cat doesn't like it or if it doesn't
> help, you can get a full refund. When I switched from the HP to regular,
> received the replacement in 3 days.

Excellent, I will certainly call her and send your regards. Gracie is easy
to pill so
far, too, when I give her Chlortrimeton. Phil, she is going so long between
Depo
shots now, it might be time to try another approach. The only thing is ...
she has
asthma too. That is what, to me, justifies the risk of the Depo shots. EGC
is just
annoying but asthma can be life threatening.

> My hyperthy/CRF cat has been on 3V for about a month and her GFR
*increased*
> and BUN/Creatinine came down! Her kidney values are now high normal and
her
> USG has increased from 1.011 to 1.023!

Now this is wonderful, too. As you know, my cat Boo is hyperthyroid. She
goes
in for bloodwork next week, to check her levels. But of course she is not
CRF--
hope she never gets that way but we never know, it seems to be common.

> I had to opt for the I-131 because the Tapazole affected her appetite to
the
> point where almost stopped eating completely. It was definitely the
> Tapazole itself and not simply the bitter taste- I always put the 1/2 in a
> #4 gelcap followed by a 10 ml chicken broth chaser. From day one she
never
> tasted the Tapazole so I know it wasn't the taste the killed her appetite.
> The Tapazole also drove her WBC down to borderline leukopenia.

My goodness, I didn't know it could do that. These are things we do not
talk about often here, regarding Tapazole, appetite, and white blood cell
count, so I am glad you brought it up. By I-131 you mean the radioactive
iodine treatment? I have not forgetten about it. So far Boo does very well
on the Tapazole--Phil, she still weighs 8 lbs, down from 18!--so we will
stick with that a while, but should there be a problem, it is good to know
that I-131 might be an alternative.

> I'm buried in kittens! As soon as I finish feeding the last one, the
first
> one is ready for another feeding- I have to start the feeding cycle all
over
> again! lol! It seems like last kitten season never ended. Good thing
> someone's helping with the colonies!

Man, I know this is hard work but I love kittens so I envy you!
You have been missed around here. It's good to see you back. I will
call Dr. Koos, I saved your post to my "personal" folder for reference.
Thank you, Phil.

-L.
June 13th 06, 01:34 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
> s.com...
> >
> > My Mimi has EGC and tends to get lesions on her lips and chin. She
> > does occassionally get them along her spine and back of her legs, so
> > it's not uncommon to see them present in multiple places, especially as
> > the cat ages.
> >

> Good to know. Do you get the shots or do oral pred or control it in
> some other way? How often does Mimi need treatment?

Depo IM. She hasn't needed a shot for, wow - a couple years, maybe.
When she was 8-10 her lesions were pretty bad - she got shots about 3-4
times/yr, and we had trouble controlling them - I think she may have
had an allergy to something in that location. Prior to that the
lesions were lip/chin only. She's 16 now (almost).

<snip>

> > How old is she?
>
> I thnk she was a year old when I adopted her in 2001, so I guess she is 6-7.
> There are times when she will not finish her food and I have to throw it
> away.
> I keep dry food down for her when this happens because she is so skinny, but
> usually she will not touch it. Other times she eats all of her canned food.

<snip>

> This makes sense, both the age thing and the seasonal thing. Happily,
> since she got her shot, Gracie is eating all of her canned at breakfast
> so I put down more, and she ate all of that too yesterday! I figure as
> long as she is really skinny I will feed her all she wants. But, also,
> she has that "oriental" build, you know? Triangular head, huge eyes,
> long skinny legs, long tail, long skinny body. It is actually hilarious the
> way she runs all over the house with her tail held high like the mast
> of a tallship. She runs from us everywhere except upstairs in the
> main bedroom or in my office, she just zips all over the house.

I'm glad she is eating again - I think the EGC just makes them feel
yucky all over. My Mom had a long-haired cat that ran around like that
with his tail up - nick named "Sail Tail", LOL.... I love that
Oriental build. I always wanted an Oriental Shorthair, but never would
pay a breeder. In all the years I worked at the HS I never saw an OS
come through.

> How did you come to get Mimi? Does she also have asthma?

She was a HS kitten, adopted at about 5 weeks. She was in a box with
like 10 other skinny little kittens, covered in fleas, filled with
worms and coccidia and was anemic. She had her first EGC outbreak at 8
weeks. She does not have asthma and in fact has been remarkably
healthy. She does have arthritis now, though. She's kinda goofy and I
wonder if she isn't inbred to some extent (I also think there may be
either a viral cause or genetic predisposition to EGC). The note on
the box only said "To many cats" (sic) so who knows what the
circumstances were...

-L.

PawsForThought
June 13th 06, 06:01 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> DVM makes two versions of 3V Caps: regular and
>
> http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/display.html?c=6&fam=3VCaps%20Liquid
>
> HP (high potency).
>
> http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/display.html?c=6&fam=3VCaps%20Liquid%20HP
>
> The HP is very strong and your cat might like it. I had to switch from HP
> to the regular.

Hi Phil,
How is this different than a formula that is bought at a health food
store? We're using whole body fish oil by Carlson (has vit E in it).
Here is their website for the product we use:

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10012879&categid=0014&PHPSESSID=739ff6a9cd7a96086b7815dd4a91c99a

I know this is a reliable company and they really do the testing they
say they do. But if the DVM one is better, I'd like to know.

Thanks,
Lauren

Phil P.
June 14th 06, 04:50 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Phil P. wrote:
> >
> > I'm buried in kittens! As soon as I finish feeding the last one, the
first
> > one is ready for another feeding- I have to start the feeding cycle all
over
> > again! lol! It seems like last kitten season never ended. Good thing
> > someone's helping with the colonies!
>
> Are you feeding bottle babies?

Yeah- with *my* hands! Ain't that a hoot? Its like threading a needle while
wearing boxing gloves! lol

God, I remember those days...and
> nights! ;)

Only two left- the rest are eating on their own. I'm glad I got to them
first- I weaned them all on canned kitten food. Their first food will
strongly influence their texture preference later in life. I brainwashed
them! lol

Phil

Phil P.
June 14th 06, 05:25 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > We had surrender that had eosinophilic plaque- its just a different form
> of
> > the same disease process.
>
> Interestiing, thanks for letting me know. I will Google the phrase for
more
> information.
>
> >She's been getting a concentrated dose of
> > omega-3s- 3V Caps (DVM Pharmaceuticals). The scratching has almost
> stopped
> > completely and the lesion is fading.
>
> Wow! And no steroid side effects! That is great--these are omega-3 fatty
> acids,
> right? Like the kind in the fish oil gelcaps I took until I got tired of
> burping up fish
> when I had not had any for dinner!
>

> Don't use Derm Caps or any omega-3s
> > that come from plant sources- they contain too much omega-6- which are
> > proinflammatory. 3V omega-3s come from cold water fish and contain more
> > omega-3 and less omega-6. They're also more bioavailable than
> plant-derived
> > omega-3s and they're balanced with antioxidants (vitamin E).
> >
> > DVM makes two versions of 3V Caps: regular and
> >
> > http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/display.html?c=6&fam=3VCaps%20Liquid
> >
> > HP (high potency).

http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/display.html?c=6&fam=3VCaps%20Liquid%20HP

> > The HP is very strong and your cat might like it. I had to switch from
HP
> > to the regular.
> >
> > You might want to speak to the vet at DVM (Dr. Kristin Boos)
> 1-800-759-3664
> > x 1383 to calculate the exact dose for your cat. The dosing
> recommendations
> > on the bottles is too wide. If your cat doesn't like it or if it
doesn't
> > help, you can get a full refund. When I switched from the HP to
regular,
> > received the replacement in 3 days.
>
> Excellent, I will certainly call her and send your regards. Gracie is easy
> to pill so
> far, too, when I give her Chlortrimeton. Phil, she is going so long
between
> Depo
> shots now, it might be time to try another approach. The only thing is ...
> she has
> asthma too. That is what, to me, justifies the risk of the Depo shots. EGC
> is just
> annoying but asthma can be life threatening.

Have you tried inhaled steroids- Flovent and inhaled albuterol for rescue?
Speak to vet about it. If he agrees, let me know, I get a smoking deal on
Flovent but I can't tell you about it- someone might rat me out.

> > My hyperthy/CRF cat has been on 3V for about a month and her GFR
> *increased*
> > and BUN/Creatinine came down! Her kidney values are now high normal and
> her
> > USG has increased from 1.011 to 1.023!
>
> Now this is wonderful, too. As you know, my cat Boo is hyperthyroid. She
> goes
> in for bloodwork next week, to check her levels. But of course she is not
> CRF--
> hope she never gets that way but we never know, it seems to be common.
> >
> > I had to opt for the I-131 because the Tapazole affected her appetite to
> the
> > point where almost stopped eating completely. It was definitely the
> > Tapazole itself and not simply the bitter taste- I always put the 1/2 in
> > #4 gelcap followed by a 10 ml chicken broth chaser. From day one she
> never
> > tasted the Tapazole so I know it wasn't the taste the killed her
appetite.
> > The Tapazole also drove her WBC down to borderline leukopenia.
>
> My goodness, I didn't know it could do that. These are things we do not
> talk about often here, regarding Tapazole, appetite, and white blood cell
> count, so I am glad you brought it up. By I-131 you mean the radioactive
> iodine treatment? I have not forgetten about it. So far Boo does very well
> on the Tapazole--Phil, she still weighs 8 lbs, down from 18!--so we will
> stick with that a while, but should there be a problem, it is good to know
> that I-131 might be an alternative.
> >
> > I'm buried in kittens! As soon as I finish feeding the last one, the
> first
> > one is ready for another feeding- I have to start the feeding cycle all
> over
> > again! lol! It seems like last kitten season never ended. Good thing
> > someone's helping with the colonies!
> >

> Man, I know this is hard work but I love kittens so I envy you!

The problem with kittens is they don't stay kittens- a lot of people dump
them when they're not so tiny and cute anymore. I'm making it a project to
keep track of this brood for as long as possible. I'm thinking about
micochipping all of them when they're a little older, maybe I'll be able to
keep track of them through their registration numbers. I really got
attached to a few. I should know better.

> You have been missed around here. It's good to see you back.

You're probably in a minority! lol

I will
> call Dr. Koos, I saved your post to my "personal" folder for reference.
> Thank you, Phil.

Let me know the results of your conversation.

Good luck,

Phil

Phil P.
June 14th 06, 05:26 AM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Phil P. wrote:
> > DVM makes two versions of 3V Caps: regular and
> >
> > http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/display.html?c=6&fam=3VCaps%20Liquid
> >
> > HP (high potency).

http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/display.html?c=6&fam=3VCaps%20Liquid%20HP

> > The HP is very strong and your cat might like it. I had to switch from
HP
> > to the regular.
>
> Hi Phil,
> How is this different than a formula that is bought at a health food
> store? We're using whole body fish oil by Carlson (has vit E in it).
> Here is their website for the product we use:

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10012879&categid=0014&PHPSESSID=739ff6a9cd7a96086b7815dd4a91c99a

> I know this is a reliable company and they really do the testing they
> say they do. But if the DVM one is better, I'd like to know.
>
> Thanks,
> Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I think DVM is better- at least for cats.

Did you see this:
http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/ds/3VHP%20Detail%20Sheet.pdf

Phil

cybercat
June 14th 06, 06:05 AM
"-L." > wrote

> Depo IM. She hasn't needed a shot for, wow - a couple years, maybe.

That's great ... your move must be a good one for Mimi.

> I'm glad she is eating again - I think the EGC just makes them feel
> yucky all over.

I think you're right. Once you know them, it is easy to recognize when
they feel bad.

>My Mom had a long-haired cat that ran around like that
> with his tail up - nick named "Sail Tail", LOL....

hahaha! It is so cute, isn't it? Especially since the "tail up" is
supposed to be a sign of feeling safe and secure ... yet the cat
runs from everyone, tail pointed at the stars.

>I love that
> Oriental build. I always wanted an Oriental Shorthair, but never would
> pay a breeder. In all the years I worked at the HS I never saw an OS
> come through.

I'll put some pictures of Gracie up, she might not be a great example of
that build but she is definitely long and lean and light.

>> How did you come to get Mimi? Does she also have asthma?
>
> She was a HS kitten, adopted at about 5 weeks. She was in a box with
> like 10 other skinny little kittens, covered in fleas, filled with
> worms and coccidia and was anemic. She had her first EGC outbreak at 8
> weeks. She does not have asthma and in fact has been remarkably
> healthy. She does have arthritis now, though. She's kinda goofy and I
> wonder if she isn't inbred to some extent (I also think there may be
> either a viral cause or genetic predisposition to EGC). The note on
> the box only said "To many cats" (sic) so who knows what the
> circumstances were...

Lucky Mimi. I love stories like that. Here it is 16 years later and she is
healthy and happy.

PawsForThought
June 14th 06, 11:13 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> I think DVM is better- at least for cats.

Can you tell me why?

> Did you see this:
> http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/ds/3VHP%20Detail%20Sheet.pdf
>

> Phil

Yeah I did see that and it sounds like a really good product. I like
that they use an FDA approved lab. I know that Carlson also uses an
FDA registered lab and their product has been found to be free of any
detectible levels of mercury, cadmium, lead, pcb's, dioxins and about
30 other contaminants. I like that the DVM is a pump. I'm getting
tired of always pricking these capsules. Thanks for the info, Phil.

Lauren

-L.
June 15th 06, 07:04 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "-L." > wrote
>
> > Depo IM. She hasn't needed a shot for, wow - a couple years, maybe.
>
> That's great ... your move must be a good one for Mimi.

I think it was the basement in an old house I had - it tended to smell
musty when it rained, so it may have been a mold allergy. One drawback
to a house built in 1918...

> I'll put some pictures of Gracie up, she might not be a great example of
> that build but she is definitely long and lean and light.

Please post a link...

<snip>

> Lucky Mimi. I love stories like that. Here it is 16 years later and she is
> healthy and happy.

I am the lucky one!! She's a sweet cat - very quirky but the sweetest
I have ever met.

What's sad is she was exactly like buckets of kittens that come through
shelters every day. I just wish people would stop letting them breed.

-L.

June 15th 06, 07:33 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in
:

> She began scratching more than usual ten days ago and by Thursday I
> noticed that she had little scabs on the baldish places in front of
> her ears

Join the club. I've posted here about this a number of times.
It's amazing to me how many cats have this granuloma problem.
Right now, I'm trying to keep our female longhair off of the depo medrol,
and I'm trying to treat it with a combo of Prednisolone (2.5 to 5 mg/day
and Gentaved topical.

The vet says he prefers the pills to the depo if it works because it's
easier to control and leaves the system faster. The only drawback is
applying it to the cat on a daily basis. I've mentioned before that the
pill part is easy. I just crush it into a powder and roll it up with
small piece of low sodium turkey breast (which she loves!).

This time my cat not only had the scabs at the lower front part of ear,
but the hind legs, and I also noticed she's licked some hair off of her
right bottom back leg.

After a week of treatment, the ears scabs are disappearing, and the legs
seem under control. They still probably need a few more weeks of
treatment.

You mentioned a corn and wheat gluten free diet. Others sometimes say
that may not be the allergy and it's more important to isolate the source
of protein they may be allergic to. I say good luck. I've tried
different foods, prescribed diets, etc. The only wet food she will eat
is Fancy Feast. She loves Purina Pro Plan but I understand Purina is
pulling the only preservative free/corn and wheat gluten free formula off
of the market (The Natural Ingredients formula).

How is their Sensitive Skin and Diet formula? It's got corn and wheat
gluten but it's protein is lamb. Is that supposed to be better? Most of
the prescribed foods are venison/veal.

Just forgot - does anyone have any preference for topicals? I'm trying
to decide whether Gentaved or Tresaderm is better for treating the scabs
and skin.

I hope your cat feels better soon. I know what you're going through in
trying to figure out how to make her better.

June 15th 06, 07:38 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in :

> I thnk she was a year old when I adopted her in 2001, so I guess she
> is 6-7. There are times when she will not finish her food and I have
> to throw it away.
> I keep dry food down for her when this happens because she is so
> skinny, but usually she will not touch it. Other times she eats all of
> her canned food.

Have you tried to give her other treats like chicken or turkey, or do you
just stick to cat food?

Btw, what color is your cat. Ours is mostly white with some black and
orange spots (and a very fluffy tail). She sort of looks like a persian
was bred with a calico. She's also very docile, and has the sweetest
personality. I'm just wondering skin problems are more prevalent in
lighter colored cats.

June 15th 06, 07:44 AM
"-L." > wrote in news:1150305691.709846.303210
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I always weaned to IAMs kitten canned because that's what I got free.

Did you ensure that as adults they stayed on an Iams diet? I get the
feeling it might be better for cats with skin problems. Our cat won't touch
the Iams dry or canned food. Fancy Feast is like a drug to cats when they
start eating it!

PawsForThought
June 15th 06, 03:53 PM
wrote:
> How is their Sensitive Skin and Diet formula? It's got corn and wheat
> gluten but it's protein is lamb. Is that supposed to be better? Most of
> the prescribed foods are venison/veal.

The idea in serving a diet for allergies is to have a protein that is
something that cat doesn't usually eat. It's hard with commercial
foods because they have a combination of ingredients, so it's difficult
to isolate the allergen. Also, if you are feeding one of these diets,
it's preferable to feed it for at least 3 months to see if it has any
effect on the allergies.

cybercat
June 15th 06, 05:04 PM
> wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in
> :
>
> > She began scratching more than usual ten days ago and by Thursday I
> > noticed that she had little scabs on the baldish places in front of
> > her ears
>
> Join the club. I've posted here about this a number of times.
> It's amazing to me how many cats have this granuloma problem.
> Right now, I'm trying to keep our female longhair off of the depo medrol,
> and I'm trying to treat it with a combo of Prednisolone (2.5 to 5 mg/day
> and Gentaved topical.

I have followed your posts, and am interested to know how it turns out.
One reason my Gracie is on Depo is because she has pretty bad asthma.
She had a scary attack the day after I brought her home from the shelter.
I discussed the good and bad points of all possible treatments with my
vets and with Phil, our regular, reliable source of information on such
matters here, and we decided Depo was best. Of course if Gracie
ever develops diabetes I will feel I did the wrong thing. But the vets
assured me that they generally did not see diabetes developing in
cats that had the shots less then once every two months. We have never
had more than three shots in a year, and last time we went 8 months
in between!

Thanks for your wish that she feel better, she stopped scratching
the day after the shot, and is just fine now. The lip lesion shrank,
too! I think you are wise to be careful with injectable steroids.
I hope your kitty feels better soon, and I hope you will keep us
posted on how the treatment goes!

P.S.--about diet--for Gracie, switching to Fancy Feast varieties
with actual meat and not byproducts as the first ingredient and
no wheat gluten corresponded with a dramatic decrease in the
scratching, wheezing, and lesions. But of course who can really
tell cause and effect in theset things. After her shot, she began
eating twice as much, too, so maybe I can get her up to 7.5 lbs!

June 15th 06, 06:30 PM
> wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in :
>
> > I thnk she was a year old when I adopted her in 2001, so I guess she
> > is 6-7. There are times when she will not finish her food and I have
> > to throw it away.
> > I keep dry food down for her when this happens because she is so
> > skinny, but usually she will not touch it. Other times she eats all of
> > her canned food.
> >

> Have you tried to give her other treats like chicken or turkey, or do you
> just stick to cat food?

She does not like people food, except for ranch dressing (and she gets maybe
a lick or two since it has onions and they are very bad for cats) and
yogurt.

> Btw, what color is your cat. Ours is mostly white with some black and
> orange spots (and a very fluffy tail). She sort of looks like a persian
> was bred with a calico. She's also very docile, and has the sweetest
> personality. I'm just wondering skin problems are more prevalent in
> lighter colored cats.

I think it is reasonable to expect that cats with lighter fur may be like
fair-skinned people--more sensitive to things. But I am not sure.

Here are my two girls, Gracie is the gray one:

http://photos.yahoo.com/cyberpurrs

The snake is Gracie's pretend prey. :)

-L.
June 15th 06, 11:46 PM
wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in news:1150305691.709846.303210
> @g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I always weaned to IAMs kitten canned because that's what I got free.
>
> Did you ensure that as adults they stayed on an Iams diet?

These were kittens that were placed in homes at 8 weeks - I recommended
Iams kitten food and a high-quality canned food thereafter, but my
follow up didn't go beyond a month after they were placed.

>I get the
> feeling it might be better for cats with skin problems. Our cat won't touch
> the Iams dry or canned food. Fancy Feast is like a drug to cats when they
> start eating it!

Some Fancy Feast varieties are ok. Since Purina took them over, their
nutrition has improved.

-L.

Rhonda
June 16th 06, 06:19 AM
Awww, what pretty cats! I love that small white spot on Gracie's chest.
She looks very soft and silky.

I want to see more pictures (close-ups) of Buddha's face! She has some
interesting markings.

Rhonda

cybercat wrote:

> Here are my two girls, Gracie is the gray one:
>
> http://photos.yahoo.com/cyberpurrs
>
> The snake is Gracie's pretend prey. :)
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

-L.
June 16th 06, 07:10 AM
cybercat wrote:
> I think it is reasonable to expect that cats with lighter fur may be like
> fair-skinned people--more sensitive to things. But I am not sure.

Answering two posts here...white cats are more susceptible to skin
cancers, and Sphynx and Rexes (any color) are more susceptible to
allergies and rashes. Those are the only ones I know about - there may
be more.

> Here are my two girls, Gracie is the gray one:
>
> http://photos.yahoo.com/cyberpurrs
>
> The snake is Gracie's pretend prey. :)

I can see the Asian look in Gacie's face, LOL...Buddah is cute as a
button. I am partial to B&W's though...

-L.

Phil P.
June 16th 06, 08:02 AM
"-L." > wrote in message

> > "-L." > wrote in news:1150305691.709846.303210
> > @g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
> >
> > > I always weaned to IAMs kitten canned because that's what I got free.
> >
> > Did you ensure that as adults they stayed on an Iams diet?
>
> These were kittens that were placed in homes at 8 weeks - I recommended
> Iams kitten food and a high-quality canned food thereafter, but my
> follow up didn't go beyond a month after they were placed.

We try to keep the kittens until they're at least 12 weeks after their vax
series is completed and they're neutered. That's long enough to imprint
canned food on their neurocircuts.

Phil

-L.
June 16th 06, 09:39 AM
Phil P. wrote:
> We try to keep the kittens until they're at least 12 weeks after their vax
> series is completed and they're neutered. That's long enough to imprint
> canned food on their neurocircuts.
>
> Phil

We neutered them at 8 if they were 2 lbs. If not, we kept them until
they were big enough to be neutered. They had to come back for a vet
visit to complete the vax series, which was free. It also gave us a
chance to see how they were fairing, weight them, etc. Compliance was
good because I called every one of those new parents and made sure they
made it back in!

I do miss the kitten days. I would corral the weanlings in my walk-in
shower at night, set up with a comfy crate to sleep in. Nothing cuter
than 10 little paws (and associated little faces) on the glass
enclosure in the morning!

-L.

cybercat
June 16th 06, 12:53 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Awww, what pretty cats! I love that small white spot on Gracie's chest.
> She looks very soft and silky.

<g> Thank you. She is the sweetest, funniest cat I have ever had.

> I want to see more pictures (close-ups) of Buddha's face! She has some
> interesting markings.

Okay! In fact, I have to do some "after" shots of her since she lost ten
pounds.
Boo now weighs 8 lbs, she weighed 18 in the photo. She was one of those
odd cats that was hyperthyroid AND overweight. An all canned diet in
controlled portions 12 hours apart took care of it. But the funny thing is,
her attitude (cattitude?!) makes her still seem to be built like a little
bull
and larger than life. This cat is not afraid to let you know what she wants
and how she feels. I cannot tell you how unnerving forcing her to be on
a diet has been at times. [!]

June 16th 06, 01:03 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > I think it is reasonable to expect that cats with lighter fur may be
like
> > fair-skinned people--more sensitive to things. But I am not sure.
>
> Answering two posts here...white cats are more susceptible to skin
> cancers, and Sphynx and Rexes (any color) are more susceptible to
> allergies and rashes. Those are the only ones I know about - there may
> be more.

I had heard that about white cats, it sure makes sense, just like whiter
than
white people (like me I hate to admit) are prone to them just due to the
lack
of protective melanin in the skin. Aren't sphinxes hairless?

> > Here are my two girls, Gracie is the gray one:
> >
> > http://photos.yahoo.com/cyberpurrs
> >
> > The snake is Gracie's pretend prey. :)
>
> I can see the Asian look in Gacie's face, LOL...

Lyn, everybody laughs at her face because it is so expressive.
She has her "little buddha" inscrutable super-satisfied look
in one of these pictures--but she has a million looks. She
actually looks kind of burly in those photos, it may have been
her winter coat.

>Buddah is cute as a
> button. I am partial to B&W's though...

Thank you, we just love her. She does a great
"roadkill kitty" where I come upon her in a major
"thoroughfare" part of the house lying halfway
on her back, bikini showing and little white mittens
and boots to the wind, eyes wide open. ;)

Val
June 16th 06, 08:34 PM
This sounds exactly what my Pookie has been suffering from! He is
covered with scabs all over his poor little body, and wheezes all the
time, coughing terribly. My vet says it is flea dermatitis, but he has
no fleas on him! He also gets lumps on his tummy and between his hind
legs...perhaps it is time for a new diagnosis!!!

Any suggestions as to how I can help him get relief in the meantime, or
vets in the San Fernando Valley in California that can help him?

cybercat wrote:
> Last I posted she was doing great and had not had any wheezing or bumps (she
> has the linear granuloma type of Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex) since last
> November which is when she had her last Depo Medrol shot. She is not on any
> other medications, is on a canned-only diet of food with no wheat gluten or
> other meal products, and I keep dust, perfumes, cleaning fluids, other
> chemicals and smoke away from her as well as I can.
>
> She began scratching more than usual ten days ago and by Thursday I noticed
> that she had little scabs on the baldish places in front of her ears--and
> that the mucus membrane just inside her lower lip had begun to swell a
> little. This would be the second time in four years that she has not had the
> linear granuloma bumps on the back of her legs, but got the lip lesion
> instead. (I thought they had to have one or the other but I guess not.)
>
> Anyway, Friday evening she got a Depo Medrol shot, and I have already
> noticed that she is not scratching much. The vet said that while asthmatic
> cats often need Depo shots more than twice a year, the drug stays in the
> system for six months in sufficient concentration to keep allergic cats from
> scratching themselves raw.
>
> Her checkup was fine--though she is down to 7 pounds, she tends to lose
> weight in the summer, for whatever reason. I have increased her canned food
> by a little each day as she is best at about 7.5.
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

cybercat
June 16th 06, 08:59 PM
"Val" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This sounds exactly what my Pookie has been suffering from! He is
> covered with scabs all over his poor little body, and wheezes all the
> time, coughing terribly. My vet says it is flea dermatitis, but he has
> no fleas on him! He also gets lumps on his tummy and between his hind
> legs...perhaps it is time for a new diagnosis!!!
>
> Any suggestions as to how I can help him get relief in the meantime, or
> vets in the San Fernando Valley in California that can help him?

Val, just get him in to the vet, and tell him you think he has
EOSINOPHILIC GRANULOMA and probably asthma.

Treatment is not expensive--Depo shots are $40 here and
two a year keep my girl well. Ask about risks, you may
want to go the pill route. **About wheezing: although
the ECC just makes them suffer, asthma can kill--so get
him treatment asap.