PDA

View Full Version : Storms and cats

June 13th 06, 06:25 PM
I live in Tampa, FL and you may have noticed we had a small tropical
storm pass by yesterday. My question is - has anyone else noticed that
storms make cats go "Insane"? It started yesterday when i got home from
work - Ray the cat had a meowing fit, in which he proceeded to (I
assume) call me every name in the cat language book for about 20
minutes. Then, he would not stop playing with EVERYTHING last night - I
had very little sleep from a cat that decided that jumping at a wall
for about an hour straight at midnight would be fun....

Anyone else seen this in their cats?

Buddy
June 13th 06, 08:06 PM
It's the barometric pressure change that affects them. They will be
back to normal when the front passes.

wrote:
> I live in Tampa, FL and you may have noticed we had a small tropical
> storm pass by yesterday. My question is - has anyone else noticed that
> storms make cats go "Insane"? It started yesterday when i got home from
> work - Ray the cat had a meowing fit, in which he proceeded to (I
> assume) call me every name in the cat language book for about 20
> minutes. Then, he would not stop playing with EVERYTHING last night - I
> had very little sleep from a cat that decided that jumping at a wall
> for about an hour straight at midnight would be fun....
>
> Anyone else seen this in their cats?

Matthew
June 13th 06, 09:47 PM
Yeappie I live near Orlando, Florida the shelter was in Orlando the
cats and dogs would go nuts during the storms something about the static
electricity in the air makes them go nuts

Mine hunker down with the family during the storms but before the arrival it
was hell on wheels for them

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I live in Tampa, FL and you may have noticed we had a small tropical
> storm pass by yesterday. My question is - has anyone else noticed that
> storms make cats go "Insane"? It started yesterday when i got home from
> work - Ray the cat had a meowing fit, in which he proceeded to (I
> assume) call me every name in the cat language book for about 20
> minutes. Then, he would not stop playing with EVERYTHING last night - I
> had very little sleep from a cat that decided that jumping at a wall
> for about an hour straight at midnight would be fun....
>
> Anyone else seen this in their cats?

Kitkat
June 14th 06, 02:50 AM
wrote:
> I live in Tampa, FL and you may have noticed we had a small tropical
> storm pass by yesterday. My question is - has anyone else noticed that
> storms make cats go "Insane"? It started yesterday when i got home from
> work - Ray the cat had a meowing fit, in which he proceeded to (I
> assume) call me every name in the cat language book for about 20
> minutes. Then, he would not stop playing with EVERYTHING last night - I
> had very little sleep from a cat that decided that jumping at a wall
> for about an hour straight at midnight would be fun....
>
> Anyone else seen this in their cats?

Luna is terrified of storms. When thunder starts rumbling, she gets all
low to the ground and slinky and usually hides in a closet. She'll
sometimes meow and cry and let me pick her up, too. There are very few
other times where she will tolerate being held!! She is a real "scaredy
cat"! :)

Dudley cant hear it...i bet sometimes he can feel the rumble of the
thunder, but he doesn't so much as bat a paw. ;)

cybercat
June 14th 06, 03:20 AM
"Kitkat" > wrote

> Luna is terrified of storms. When thunder starts rumbling, she gets all
> low to the ground and slinky and usually hides in a closet. She'll
> sometimes meow and cry and let me pick her up, too. There are very few
> other times where she will tolerate being held!! She is a real "scaredy
> cat"! :)
>
> Dudley cant hear it...i bet sometimes he can feel the rumble of the
> thunder, but he doesn't so much as bat a paw. ;)

Neither of my girls seem bothered by storms, though they do hate loud
noises, like most cats!

(Hope the test went well ... )

Wendy
June 14th 06, 01:21 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I live in Tampa, FL and you may have noticed we had a small tropical
> storm pass by yesterday. My question is - has anyone else noticed that
> storms make cats go "Insane"? It started yesterday when i got home from
> work - Ray the cat had a meowing fit, in which he proceeded to (I
> assume) call me every name in the cat language book for about 20
> minutes. Then, he would not stop playing with EVERYTHING last night - I
> had very little sleep from a cat that decided that jumping at a wall
> for about an hour straight at midnight would be fun....
>
> Anyone else seen this in their cats?

My Tigger (RB) didn't go insane but was afraid of thunderstorms. Anytime the
rumbling would start she'd have to sit with me until the storm passed.

Wendy

rachel polanskis
June 14th 06, 02:01 PM
In article . com>,
wrote:

> I live in Tampa, FL and you may have noticed we had a small tropical
> storm pass by yesterday. My question is - has anyone else noticed that
> storms make cats go "Insane"?....
>
> Anyone else seen this in their cats?

Cleo Carrington Smith can sense the rain coming before I can.
I have also watched the radar map and the rain came in a few minutes
after she started acting skittish.

Usually she runs to between Robert and I and slinking around.
Then she slinks into the bedroom and crawls into the covers.

If we get into bed with her, she will snuggle up but as soon
as the rain stops, she comes out again.

I am sure she is frightened of rain, because of her feral background.

rachel

Kitkat
June 14th 06, 03:17 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Kitkat" > wrote
>
>>Luna is terrified of storms. When thunder starts rumbling, she gets all
>>low to the ground and slinky and usually hides in a closet. She'll
>>sometimes meow and cry and let me pick her up, too. There are very few
>>other times where she will tolerate being held!! She is a real "scaredy
>>cat"! :)
>>
>>Dudley cant hear it...i bet sometimes he can feel the rumble of the
>>thunder, but he doesn't so much as bat a paw. ;)
>

> Neither of my girls seem bothered by storms, though they do hate loud
> noises, like most cats!
>
> (Hope the test went well ... )

(tests are next week)

kurupt
June 14th 06, 03:38 PM
wrote:
> I live in Tampa, FL and you may have noticed we had a small tropical

> Anyone else seen this in their cats?

not my two, especially the youngest one

my house is old, it has a tin roof, we love it when it rains early in
the mornings

there's something very relaxing to hear rain on a tin roof, it makes it
superhard to get out of bed, I just give in to the sound of it, I sink
down into my sleep when it rains

deep down, I know that outside... the rain is making everything shiny
and new

I personally don't care for lightening, I have too many electronics
hummin around here.

cybercat
June 14th 06, 07:42 PM
"Buddy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It's the barometric pressure change that affects them. They will be
> back to normal when the front passes.

I don't know. My cats don't show any reaction at all, before, during, or
after. I would expect them to at least react to the loud noise of thunder,
but they don't.

What makes you think the barometric pressure has anything to do with it?
Is this based upon most animals (including us) being made up of a large
percentage of water?

> wrote:
> > I live in Tampa, FL and you may have noticed we had a small tropical
> > storm pass by yesterday. My question is - has anyone else noticed that
> > storms make cats go "Insane"? It started yesterday when i got home from
> > work - Ray the cat had a meowing fit, in which he proceeded to (I
> > assume) call me every name in the cat language book for about 20
> > minutes. Then, he would not stop playing with EVERYTHING last night - I
> > had very little sleep from a cat that decided that jumping at a wall
> > for about an hour straight at midnight would be fun....
> >
> > Anyone else seen this in their cats?

-L.
June 15th 06, 07:07 AM
wrote:
> I live in Tampa, FL and you may have noticed we had a small tropical
> storm pass by yesterday. My question is - has anyone else noticed that
> storms make cats go "Insane"? It started yesterday when i got home from
> work - Ray the cat had a meowing fit, in which he proceeded to (I
> assume) call me every name in the cat language book for about 20
> minutes. Then, he would not stop playing with EVERYTHING last night - I
> had very little sleep from a cat that decided that jumping at a wall
> for about an hour straight at midnight would be fun....
>
> Anyone else seen this in their cats?

When the barometric pressure drops, it can cause pain in a cat's ears.
What you may have been seeing was a reaction to pain and not just the
cat flipping out. Ask your vet for some tranquilizers for the cats for
the next time you have a big storm come through.

-L.

June 16th 06, 12:57 AM
Ray seems to be back to normal today - after 5 straight days of "Mega
Ultra Feral" mode. Now I might be able to get some sleep without him
deciding that I should play with him all night....

June 16th 06, 10:11 PM
wrote:
> Ray seems to be back to normal today - after 5 straight days of "Mega
> Ultra Feral" mode. Now I might be able to get some sleep without him
> deciding that I should play with him all night....

My cat acted really strange when we had hurricane wilma (I'm on the
east coast of FL). There was constant meowing and running back and
forth for the entire duration (from 5 or 6 am to 2 pm). She doesn't act
any different when we get average storms, a friend of mine said there
was an herbal remedy you can add to their water to calm them, I haven't
tried it but my friend swears by it.

Buddy
June 17th 06, 01:46 AM
The original question that I replied to was - regarding a tropical
storm - not a typical everyday thunderstorm. Tropical storms,
hurricanes, etc. have a huge change in the barometric pressure. We ARE
NOT talking about a midwest thunderstorm here, people. And if your cat
is old, it probably can't hear the thunder and rain anyway!