PDA

View Full Version : Help > Dog eating cat food

Craig Bailey
June 13th 06, 11:05 PM
Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?

Training methods? Bowl placement? Special feeding devices?

--
CRAIG BAILEY >
67 Union St. #2D, Winooski, Vt. 05404-1948 USA

Magic Mood JeepŠ
June 13th 06, 11:33 PM
Craig Bailey wrote:
> Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
> insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?
>
> Training methods? Bowl placement? Special feeding devices?

Dou you have a washer or dryer, or a cabinet that the kitten could get up to
that the dog can't? Even a wide window sill would do. Someplace where you
could feed the kitten and the dog can't get to the food.

Another suggestion is to block of an area for the kitten to eat in.

AZ Nomad
June 14th 06, 01:14 AM
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:05:32 GMT, Craig Bailey > wrote:

>Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
>insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?

Put it on a shelf, table, or in a box. The box can be open on the
top.
Cats can easily get to places that dogs can't.

~*Connie*~
June 14th 06, 01:47 AM
"Magic Mood JeepŠ" > wrote in message
> Craig Bailey wrote:
>> Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
>> insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?
>>
>> Training methods? Bowl placement? Special feeding devices?
>
> Dou you have a washer or dryer, or a cabinet that the kitten could get up
> to that the dog can't? Even a wide window sill would do. Someplace where
> you could feed the kitten and the dog can't get to the food.
>
> Another suggestion is to block of an area for the kitten to eat in.

baby gates help. Will help the kitten be able to escape the dog on the off
chance s/he gets too obnoxious with its new friend.

If you don't want the cat up on anything, a box with a hole in it small
enough for the cat put into a corner should help.. depending on how
persistent the dog is.

Barnabas Collins
June 14th 06, 03:11 AM
wrote:

>Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
>insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?
>
>Training methods? Bowl placement? Special feeding devices?
The method I use for feeding my cats:
I park my6self on the floor to make sure the right cat is eating
the right food.

Barnabas Collins
June 14th 06, 03:12 AM
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:33:49 -0400, "Magic Mood JeepŠ"
> wrote:

>Craig Bailey wrote:
>> Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
>> insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?
>>
>> Training methods? Bowl placement? Special feeding devices?
>
>Dou you have a washer or dryer, or a cabinet that the kitten could get up to
>that the dog can't? Even a wide window sill would do. Someplace where you
>could feed the kitten and the dog can't get to the food.
>
>Another suggestion is to block of an area for the kitten to eat in.

Feed each in a serparte room?

Beth
June 14th 06, 02:13 PM
"Craig Bailey" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
> insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?
>
> Training methods? Bowl placement? Special feeding devices?
>
> --
> CRAIG BAILEY >
> 67 Union St. #2D, Winooski, Vt. 05404-1948 USA
> www.floydianslip.com | 802.655.1197

The ideas for putting it somewhere cat accessible but not dog accessible is
a good idea! Two suggestions from my cat's favorite places to hang out are:
in an unused cabinet in the kitchen. My cabinets are an old style and have
magnets to keep them closed. My cat took it upon herself to take over an
empty one under my stove, which is also an older style and sits in the
counter. She can open the door and everything, so to save space in my tiny
kitchen, I put her food bowl and her kitty condo in there and she love to
hang out there! Another example, my linen closet. She opens the closet
door, it's one of those accordion style doors, and hops up onto the lowest
shelf, which is probably about 3 feet high. I stopped storing towels there
and gave it to her, complete with a little blanket for napping on. Find
spots like that that you cat already likes to go to and put the food there.

Buddy
June 17th 06, 02:26 AM
Craig Bailey wrote:
> Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
> insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?
>
> Training methods? Bowl placement? Special feeding devices?
>
> --
> CRAIG BAILEY >
> 67 Union St. #2D, Winooski, Vt. 05404-1948 USA
> www.floydianslip.com | 802.655.1197

When I brought home a kitten I didn't want the senior cat eating the
kitten food, so when I fed the kitten I put it in the bedroom and shut
the door. When the kitten was done, I put the kitten food away.

tedw
June 23rd 06, 10:40 AM
wrote:

>Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
>insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?
>
>Training methods? Bowl placement? Special feeding devices?

A Shotgun ................

Henry
June 26th 06, 04:26 PM
Craig Bailey wrote:
> Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
> insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?
>
> Training methods? Bowl placement? Special feeding devices?

One of my friends had that problem. He and his wife had two cats and
three large dogs, a retriever, a shepherd, and a Doberman. The dogs
would eat the cat food given the chance.

They solved the problem by putting the cat food at the top of their
"cat tree". That's probably not the right name for it but it's one of
those structures you can buy at larger pet stores that have several
carpeted stairs/shelves. They just put the cat dishes on the highest
level and the dogs were out of luck: they couldn't get up there but the
cats had no problem accessing their food.

--
Buzz