PDA

View Full Version : cost of dental work

Elizabeth Blake
June 14th 06, 11:41 PM
When Otto was at the vet a few weeks ago (colitis) the vet looked in his
mouth and said that his teeth were in bad shape, he needed a cleaning and
there were at least two that would probably have to be pulled. He said that
once Otto was over his colitis I should make an appointment for the dental
work. I called today to find out about setting that up and I asked for an
estimate. They said they'd need to do blood work first, and then the
following day they'd do the actual cleaning/extraction/whatever. The vet
said it would run $350-$400. That seems awfully high to me. In 2004 Tiger
had her teeth cleaned and had two pulled, but I think they did that while
she was already under for her tumor removal, and that whole package cost
just under $1,000 I think, maybe just under $900. I imagine the bulk of
that fee was her operation and not the cleaning/extraction. That vet also
said they don't charge any additional fees for extractions. The price of
the cleaning/anesthesia was for whatever needed to be done.

I really didn't care for that vet's office which is why I've been going to
the current one (with the $350-$400 estimate). Also, she said that estimate
includes one extraction and additional ones are $45 each.

I made the appointment for the bloodwork for next Wednesday but I'm
wondering if I should go back to the other vet or not. Does $400 sound like
a lot for bloodwork and cleaning/extraction/anesthesia?

--
Liz

Katrina
June 15th 06, 01:07 AM
On 2006-06-14 15:41:44 -0700, "Elizabeth Blake"
> said:
<snip>
I made the appointment for the bloodwork for next Wednesday but I'm
> wondering if I should go back to the other vet or not. Does $400 sound like
> a lot for bloodwork and cleaning/extraction/anesthesia?

My vet gave an estimate of $350-400 for Boris (a small terrier D-pet)
to have his teeth done. As it turned out, it ended up being just over
$300... Boris didn't need any teeth extracted, just a good cleaning.

Katrina

--
History: special people in special places at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time

Spot
June 15th 06, 03:09 AM
The last cleaning and extraction I had done on a cat cost me 150.00.

Celeste

"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
et...
> When Otto was at the vet a few weeks ago (colitis) the vet looked in his
> mouth and said that his teeth were in bad shape, he needed a cleaning and
> there were at least two that would probably have to be pulled. He said
> that
> once Otto was over his colitis I should make an appointment for the dental
> work. I called today to find out about setting that up and I asked for an
> estimate. They said they'd need to do blood work first, and then the
> following day they'd do the actual cleaning/extraction/whatever. The vet
> said it would run $350-$400. That seems awfully high to me. In 2004
> Tiger
> had her teeth cleaned and had two pulled, but I think they did that while
> she was already under for her tumor removal, and that whole package cost
> just under $1,000 I think, maybe just under $900. I imagine the bulk of
> that fee was her operation and not the cleaning/extraction. That vet also
> said they don't charge any additional fees for extractions. The price of
> the cleaning/anesthesia was for whatever needed to be done.
>
> I really didn't care for that vet's office which is why I've been going to
> the current one (with the $350-$400 estimate). Also, she said that
> estimate
> includes one extraction and additional ones are $45 each.
>
> I made the appointment for the bloodwork for next Wednesday but I'm
> wondering if I should go back to the other vet or not. Does $400 sound
> like
> a lot for bloodwork and cleaning/extraction/anesthesia?
>
> --
> Liz

Elizabeth Blake
June 15th 06, 04:01 AM
"Spot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The last cleaning and extraction I had done on a cat cost me 150.00.
>
> Celeste

Did your cat have bloodwork done first? I don't remember what I've paid for
bloodwork recently (Tiger had blood drawn in December and March, but she
probably had more specific tests done) but I'm sure it was over $100, so I'm
guessing the $350 estimate isn't that bad. I might call the cats-only vet
by my job and get an estimate from them as well, although I have a feeling a
$400 estimate would look good compared to what they might come up with.

--
Liz

Elizabeth Blake
June 15th 06, 04:04 AM
"Katrina" > wrote in message
> On 2006-06-14 15:41:44 -0700, "Elizabeth Blake"
> > said:
> <snip>
> I made the appointment for the bloodwork for next Wednesday but I'm
>> wondering if I should go back to the other vet or not. Does $400 sound
>> like
>> a lot for bloodwork and cleaning/extraction/anesthesia?
>
> My vet gave an estimate of $350-400 for Boris (a small terrier D-pet) to
> have his teeth done. As it turned out, it ended up being just over $300...
> Boris didn't need any teeth extracted, just a good cleaning.
>
> Katrina

Katrina,

Did your dog have bloodwork done first? I have a feeling that's what's
driving the cost up but he'll need it done in order for them to use
anesthesia on him. His teeth really do look bad (when I can actually pry
his mouth open for more than a nanosecond) and the vet said he thinks there
are 2 that need to come out. That was just based on a brief look at Otto's
last appointment which wasn't for his teeth.

--
Liz

Katrina
June 15th 06, 05:09 AM
On 2006-06-14 20:04:22 -0700, "Elizabeth Blake"
> said:

> "Katrina" > wrote in message
>> On 2006-06-14 15:41:44 -0700, "Elizabeth Blake"
>> > said:
>> <snip>
>> I made the appointment for the bloodwork for next Wednesday but I'm
>>> wondering if I should go back to the other vet or not. Does $400 sound like
>>> a lot for bloodwork and cleaning/extraction/anesthesia?
>>
>> My vet gave an estimate of $350-400 for Boris (a small terrier D-pet)
>> to have his teeth done. As it turned out, it ended up being just over
>> $300... Boris didn't need any teeth extracted, just a good cleaning.
>>
>> Katrina
>
> Katrina,
>
> Did your dog have bloodwork done first? I have a feeling that's what's
> driving the cost up but he'll need it done in order for them to use
> anesthesia on him. His teeth really do look bad (when I can actually
> pry his mouth open for more than a nanosecond) and the vet said he
> thinks there are 2 that need to come out. That was just based on a
> brief look at Otto's last appointment which wasn't for his teeth.

Oops... this went through before I was quite done... Anyway- Boris
is 10 years old, so the vet recommended the pre-anesthesia bloodwork
because of his age. That was an additional $100 or so... so total was
about $400 for his teeth.

Katrina

--
History: special people in special places at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time
-KWorley, 1997

Inu
June 15th 06, 05:14 AM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:
The vet said it would run $350-$400. That seems awfully high to me.
Does $400 sound like a lot for bloodwork and
cleaning/extraction/anesthesia?

> --
> Liz

I paid around $70 for blood test (short version) and a month later had
my cat's teeth cleaned for $170. Since her blood test looked normal and
her teeth weren't bad, they assumed the procedure wouldn't last too
long and I got them to agree not to give her fluids during the
procedure. The fluids would have boosted the cost way over $200 and if
she had any extractions the whole thing could have approached $500.

Before I settled on this vet clinic, I called almost every vet in town
for estimates and most of them charge in the $200-400 range depending
on what they include. If there are extractions the costs were near the
$500 mark.

In retrospect, I regret witholding the fluid treatment, because it made
her recovery from anesthesia much rougher. When I brought her home she
was very agitated for several days. I'm also wondering if it might have
unmasked an underlying kidney problem since she is now having some
problems (high blood calcium level & rising BUN/Creatinine levels with
vomiting).

My cat is only 4-5 yrs. old and had bad plaque so I was trying to head
off any future problems by getting her teeth cleaned, now I wonder if
that was a mistake since the cost of the cleaning has made it harder
(financially)for me to pursue further treatment.

June 15th 06, 06:15 AM
Inu wrote:
> In retrospect, I regret witholding the fluid treatment, because it made
> her recovery from anesthesia much rougher. When I brought her home she
> was very agitated for several days. I'm also wondering if it might have
> unmasked an underlying kidney problem since she is now having some
> problems (high blood calcium level & rising BUN/Creatinine levels with
> vomiting).

Did they use the better gas or what? Not nasty Ketamine which is rough
stuff.
Rising creatinine is indicative of kidney problems, and if high enough,
kidney failure.
What are you doing? Low phosphorus diet and special foods in the
meantime?
If they did not use gas, would one anesthesia without fluids
put too much strain on marginal kidneys?
She is not having a system that is not clearing the toxins out so
she is vomiting? Give her more water somehow? Wet foods?
What do the vets say?

> My cat is only 4-5 yrs. old and had bad plaque so I was trying to head
> off any future problems by getting her teeth cleaned, now I wonder if
> that was a mistake since the cost of the cleaning has made it harder
> (financially)for me to pursue further treatment.

-L.
June 15th 06, 06:59 AM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> When Otto was at the vet a few weeks ago (colitis) the vet looked in his
> mouth and said that his teeth were in bad shape, he needed a cleaning and
> there were at least two that would probably have to be pulled. He said that
> once Otto was over his colitis I should make an appointment for the dental
> work. I called today to find out about setting that up and I asked for an
> estimate. They said they'd need to do blood work first, and then the
> following day they'd do the actual cleaning/extraction/whatever. The vet
> said it would run $350-$400. That seems awfully high to me. In 2004 Tiger
> had her teeth cleaned and had two pulled, but I think they did that while
> she was already under for her tumor removal, and that whole package cost
> just under $1,000 I think, maybe just under $900. I imagine the bulk of
> that fee was her operation and not the cleaning/extraction. That vet also
> said they don't charge any additional fees for extractions. The price of
> the cleaning/anesthesia was for whatever needed to be done.

$200-$350 is a good ballpark figure.

> I really didn't care for that vet's office which is why I've been going to
> the current one (with the $350-$400 estimate). Also, she said that estimate
> includes one extraction and additional ones are $45 each.

$45 is high. IIRC we charged $15 per each additional tooth and if the
anesthesia ran over a certain time period, it was $65/hr for anesthesia
because the gas is so expensive.

> I made the appointment for the bloodwork for next Wednesday but I'm
> wondering if I should go back to the other vet or not. Does $400 sound like
> a lot for bloodwork and cleaning/extraction/anesthesia?

Yes. I would expect it to be more like $300-$350 with 2 teeth pulled.
-L.

P No Gree G O
June 15th 06, 02:17 PM
Bloodwork, anasthesia, and cleaning cost me $200

June 16th 06, 01:50 AM
In article t>,
says...

> "Katrina" > wrote in message
> > On 2006-06-14 15:41:44 -0700, "Elizabeth Blake"
> > > said:
> > <snip>
> > I made the appointment for the bloodwork for next Wednesday but I'm
> >> wondering if I should go back to the other vet or not. Does $400 sound
> >> like
> >> a lot for bloodwork and cleaning/extraction/anesthesia?
> >
> > My vet gave an estimate of $350-400 for Boris (a small terrier D-pet) to
> > have his teeth done. As it turned out, it ended up being just over $300...
> > Boris didn't need any teeth extracted, just a good cleaning.
> >
> > Katrina
>
> Katrina,
>
> Did your dog have bloodwork done first? I have a feeling that's what's
> driving the cost up but he'll need it done in order for them to use
> anesthesia on him. His teeth really do look bad (when I can actually pry
> his mouth open for more than a nanosecond) and the vet said he thinks there
> are 2 that need to come out. That was just based on a brief look at Otto's
> last appointment which wasn't for his teeth.
>
> --
> Liz

The bloodwork adds approximately $130 or so to the total.

Inu
June 16th 06, 03:26 AM
wrote:

> Did they use the better gas or what? Not nasty Ketamine which is rough
> stuff.

I assume they used isoflurane, but will check because if they used
halothane - that could be toxic to the kidneys if her blood pressure
was low (which it could have been since she wasn't getting fluids iv.

> Rising creatinine is indicative of kidney problems, and if high enough,
> kidney failure.

Her BUN/Creatinine levels are still within the normal range, but when I
examined her previous blood tests done over a span of the 4 years I've
had her, the levels keep rising with each test.

> What are you doing?
I invested in a Catit water fountain (to encourage her to drink) and
have been monitoring her.

Before I even had her teeth cleaned, she and my other cat suddenly
decided they didn't like the dry food brand (Nature's Balance) so I had
been trying to find a new brand they would eat. It was very frustrating
and I ended up trying lots of different brands, which might have
contributed to both cats having episodes of vomiting. They were also
both shedding a lot and so some of it was hair balls. I started
grooming them daily and giving both of them laxatone (I'm currently
only giving them a non-petrolatum hairball medication once a week.)

Before the last blood test (and after the teeth cleaning) I finally
found dry food brands (my dental cat-B. refuses to eat wet cat food)
they both would eat (Wellness & Solid Gold).

But, I took B. into the clinic just to make sure there wasn't something
else going on & that's when they re-tested her and we discovered her
blood Ca++ was elevated. Most troubling was that in the month and a
half since her pre-dental test- she had lost over one pound. She's a
big boned cat and started out on the chunky side, so she still looked
normal.

The vets said ultrasound (>$300), x-rays (>$100), & hypercalcemia
blood panel test were options. But now that she's eating & behaving
normally (plays chase with the other cat, seems in good spirits, isn't
dehydrated, etc.) and the vomiting is more sporadic, I'm waiting to
see if she gains weight and if the vomiting ceases.

I'll like to re-test her in the future and have an ionized Ca++ test
run since I heard the blood calcium test is one of the least reliable
tests, but the ionized Ca++ test would give a truer picture.

Apologize for the length of this.

June 16th 06, 10:31 AM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:

> I made the appointment for the bloodwork for next Wednesday but I'm
> wondering if I should go back to the other vet or not. Does $400 sound like
> a lot for bloodwork and cleaning/extraction/anesthesia?

My vet is very reasonably priced. Senior bloodwork was approx $100.

Kira hasn't had her teeth done yet since she is recovering from an eye
infection right now. Thevet estimated $160 if things go well. Up to
$400 if she needs teeth pulled. Depends on what all has to be done,
whcih won't be known until they put her under and get a better look.
Considering how awful her teeth look, I am prepared for the higher
amount. I just need to wait til she is done will her meds and feeling
normal again.

So, with bloodwork included in the cost, it will be $260-$500. Sounds
like your vet is pretty reasonable.

Elizabeth Blake
June 19th 06, 03:26 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Kira hasn't had her teeth done yet since she is recovering from an eye
> infection right now. Thevet estimated $160 if things go well. Up to
> $400 if she needs teeth pulled. Depends on what all has to be done,
> whcih won't be known until they put her under and get a better look.
> Considering how awful her teeth look, I am prepared for the higher
> amount. I just need to wait til she is done will her meds and feeling
> normal again.
>
> So, with bloodwork included in the cost, it will be $260-$500. Sounds
> like your vet is pretty reasonable.

I think I'm not going to bother checking any other vets. It's not worth it
bringing them to different vets for different things just to save a few
dollars, and the vet we're currently using has great hours and are open 7
days a week for normal appointments, not just emergency visits.

I was out all day Saturday at a music festival. When I got home last night
there were 3 messages from the vet saying he had seen my request for an
estimate and he just wanted to go over everything with me. The other vet
was on duty when I had first called and she's the one who gave me the
estimate. I'll call the main vet (who left the messages) tomorrow. Otto
will be going in on Wednesday morning just to have blood drawn and I'll make
the appointment for the actual work then.

Otto's teeth and gums do look bad, when I can pry his mouth open. He also
has bad breath so I'm prepared for at least the two extractions the vet
briefly saw last month, and possibly more. My poor baby, he is not going to
like being left behind at the vet. They DO pretty much keep them all day,
don't they? I can't remember now, but I thought whenever a cat had
anesthesia they kept them for at least X (6? 8?) hours to make sure they
recover well enough to go home.

--
Liz

June 19th 06, 09:24 AM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:

> Otto's teeth and gums do look bad, when I can pry his mouth open. He also
> has bad breath so I'm prepared for at least the two extractions the vet
> briefly saw last month, and possibly more. My poor baby, he is not going to
> like being left behind at the vet. They DO pretty much keep them all day,
> don't they? I can't remember now, but I thought whenever a cat had
> anesthesia they kept them for at least X (6? 8?) hours to make sure they
> recover well enough to go home.

Kira doesn't seem to have bad breath, but her teeth look nasty in the
back, and her gums look inflamed. I just wish she would get over this
infection so that I could go ahead and get it done.

Usually, they do keep them all day. Mine takes them in the morning, and
then they have the afternoon to recover with some supervision. I
always make sure I am off work so that I can worry at home and then be
with them all evening and night when they get home.