PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the Risk of your Cat Getting Knocked Down?

June 16th 06, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I have a young cat aged 12 months hes a Tom who has been neutered he
strays from our garden every day and is gone 7 hours he has once been
found having travelled a pedestrian flyover over a Motorway he was
taken back by a neightbour.

I rang the vet about this behaviour he said to restrict his food thats
only been partly sucessful..

Hes an exceptionally friendly cat does anyone have any suggestions as
to what I can do to keep my Cat safe from road traffic?

Regards.

cybercat
June 16th 06, 01:18 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a young cat aged 12 months hes a Tom who has been neutered he
> strays from our garden every day and is gone 7 hours he has once been
> found having travelled a pedestrian flyover over a Motorway he was
> taken back by a neightbour.
>
> I rang the vet about this behaviour he said to restrict his food thats
> only been partly sucessful..
>
> Hes an exceptionally friendly cat does anyone have any suggestions as
> to what I can do to keep my Cat safe from road traffic?

Keep him in. Just because it is a custom to let them roam in the UK
does not mean you should do it. There are more cars now, for one
thing. It is a myth that cats cannot be happy when kept indoors! And,
you can let your cat out in the garden when you are there to watch him.
Buck tradition and keep your kitty safe and happy. Once you keep him
in a while he will not want to roam when you are out with him as he will
be used to being in the house and in the garden only when you are there.

kurupt
June 16th 06, 01:38 PM
cybercat wrote:

> Keep him in. Just because it is a custom to let them roam in the UK
> does not mean you should do it. There are more cars now, for one
> thing. It is a myth that cats cannot be happy when kept indoors! And,
> you can let your cat out in the garden when you are there to watch him.
> Buck tradition and keep your kitty safe and happy. Once you keep him
> in a while he will not want to roam when you are out with him as he will
> be used to being in the house and in the garden only when you are there.

I also think the OP could fatten the cat up just a little,
feed him extra tasty things, and stuff him..

this will sedate Tom a little... make him too lazy to care about going
back out
or maybe take the edge off of Tom's prowling withdrawals

Wendy
June 16th 06, 03:09 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a young cat aged 12 months hes a Tom who has been neutered he
>> strays from our garden every day and is gone 7 hours he has once been
>> found having travelled a pedestrian flyover over a Motorway he was
>> taken back by a neightbour.
>>
>> I rang the vet about this behaviour he said to restrict his food thats
>> only been partly sucessful..
>>
>> Hes an exceptionally friendly cat does anyone have any suggestions as
>> to what I can do to keep my Cat safe from road traffic?
>>

> Keep him in. Just because it is a custom to let them roam in the UK
> does not mean you should do it. There are more cars now, for one
> thing. It is a myth that cats cannot be happy when kept indoors! And,
> you can let your cat out in the garden when you are there to watch him.
> Buck tradition and keep your kitty safe and happy. Once you keep him
> in a while he will not want to roam when you are out with him as he will
> be used to being in the house and in the garden only when you are there.
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
> http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

The OP could always build an outside enclosure for the kitty. Best of both
worlds, get some fresh air and still be safe.