PDA

View Full Version : Fat Bored Cat

catwriter
June 16th 06, 03:52 PM
Hi,
My veterinarian told me my cat is overweight and, if he doesn't lose
weight, at risk for diabetes. I've stopped free feeding him, but now he
begs constantly. I do work all day, so no wonder he's bored. Do any of
you have cats that have grown obese through eating from boredom? What
did you do?
Thanks!
Suzanne

Toni
June 16th 06, 04:52 PM
"catwriter" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
> My veterinarian told me my cat is overweight and, if he doesn't lose
> weight, at risk for diabetes. I've stopped free feeding him, but now he
> begs constantly. I do work all day, so no wonder he's bored. Do any of
> you have cats that have grown obese through eating from boredom? What
> did you do?

Twice daily interactive play sessions would be a good start.
I find "Cat Dancer's" to be a toy no cat can resist. Fishing pole toys,
laser chase, bubbles- whatever the cat enjoys. Lure him up and down a cat
tree for extra points.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Buddy
June 16th 06, 06:33 PM
Can he look out windows? They love watching birds and squirrels. Cats
sleep a lot. Free feeding isn't a good practice. Feed twice a day.

Toni wrote:
> "catwriter" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi,
> > My veterinarian told me my cat is overweight and, if he doesn't lose
> > weight, at risk for diabetes. I've stopped free feeding him, but now he
> > begs constantly. I do work all day, so no wonder he's bored. Do any of
> > you have cats that have grown obese through eating from boredom? What
> > did you do?
>

> Twice daily interactive play sessions would be a good start.
> I find "Cat Dancer's" to be a toy no cat can resist. Fishing pole toys,
> laser chase, bubbles- whatever the cat enjoys. Lure him up and down a cat
> tree for extra points.
>

> --
> Toni
> http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Kiran
June 16th 06, 07:04 PM
catwriter > wrote:

: My veterinarian told me my cat is overweight and, if he doesn't lose
: weight, at risk for diabetes. I've stopped free feeding him, but now he
: begs constantly. I do work all day, so no wonder he's bored. Do any of
: you have cats that have grown obese through eating from boredom? What
: did you do?

I don't know where I first heard it, probably in some group right here,
but there is a middle ground. Don't bother with how many *times* he
eats, just control his total caloric intake: Set his 24 hour "ration"
aside and feed him small amounts out of this as many times as
necessary.
When it is gone, it is gone until tomorrow, so portion wisely.

He is used to free feeding, so sudden change to twice a day is a shock.
Anyway, all of us probably eat and snack more than twice a day,
sometimes just for psychological pleasure. As long as you control total
calories, that's OK.