PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp?

P No Gree G O
June 16th 06, 05:30 PM
Is shrimp okay for cats to eat? I never see shrimp cat food but I
assume that's just because it may be too expensive to market. My boys
LOVE to get a cold cooked morsel of shrimp now and then, almost more
than anything else. Just wanted to make sure shellfish is okay for them.

CatNipped
June 16th 06, 06:02 PM
"P No Gree G O" > wrote in message
> Is shrimp okay for cats to eat? I never see shrimp cat food but I assume
> that's just because it may be too expensive to market. My boys LOVE to
> get a cold cooked morsel of shrimp now and then, almost more than anything
> else. Just wanted to make sure shellfish is okay for them.

Jessie likes them raw (and very fresh - sushi!!). But she only gets one as
an occasional treat, so I haven't researched whether or not they're good for
cats.

BTW, Fancy Feast does have a shrimp formula.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Buddy
June 16th 06, 06:38 PM
Several different brands has shrimp in it. I don't think seafood is
good for cats. Too much sodium and hard on the kidneys. That's what I
remember hearing, anyway.

CatNipped wrote:
> "P No Gree G O" > wrote in message
> > Is shrimp okay for cats to eat? I never see shrimp cat food but I assume
> > that's just because it may be too expensive to market. My boys LOVE to
> > get a cold cooked morsel of shrimp now and then, almost more than anything
> > else. Just wanted to make sure shellfish is okay for them.
>
> Jessie likes them raw (and very fresh - sushi!!). But she only gets one as
> an occasional treat, so I haven't researched whether or not they're good for
> cats.
>
> BTW, Fancy Feast does have a shrimp formula.
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

dgk
June 19th 06, 01:12 PM
On 16 Jun 2006 10:38:33 -0700, "Buddy" > wrote:

>Several different brands has shrimp in it. I don't think seafood is
>good for cats. Too much sodium and hard on the kidneys. That's what I
>remember hearing, anyway.

I'd like to know if that is true. My boys love the ProPlan salmon and
rice (wet and dry) and don't seem to really like anything else. So
they get a lot of S&R.

CatNipped
June 19th 06, 02:14 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On 16 Jun 2006 10:38:33 -0700, "Buddy" > wrote:
>
>>Several different brands has shrimp in it. I don't think seafood is
>>good for cats. Too much sodium and hard on the kidneys. That's what I
>>remember hearing, anyway.
>>

> I'd like to know if that is true. My boys love the ProPlan salmon and
> rice (wet and dry) and don't seem to really like anything else. So
> they get a lot of S&R.

Personally, I think all this hoopla over which canned premium, or
ultra-premium food is best is silly. Look at it this way, if your cat is
healthy and likes the canned premium food he/she is eating, what's the
problem? I think it's just like human diets, could we all be eating much
healthier and live a few months longer? Most assuredly. But is it worth it
to forgo the food we really enjoy?

Pet food companies have spent millions of dollars researching pets'
nutritional needs, and compared to years ago (when all our pets seemed quite
well and happy) they have improved the nutritional content of their brands a
hundred-fold. Pets are living twice as long as they used to, so pet food
companies must be doing something right.

Can we debate endlessly the fact that this food has .002% more phosphorous
than that food, or this one .0001% more sodium? Yes, ad nauseum. Is it
worth it for us to obsess over it when we are dealing with healthy cats with
no known illness? I think not.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Kiran
June 20th 06, 07:00 AM
dgk > wrote:

: I'd like to know if that is true. My boys love the ProPlan salmon and
: rice (wet and dry) and don't seem to really like anything else. So
: they get a lot of S&R.

First things first: any food is better than no food, so if that's all
they will eat, keep giving it to them.

However, it would be nice if you could find a chicken or turkey formula
they will eat. Try mixing it with salmon or salmon if that helps. If
you can find a few alternatives, keep seafood under 50% and preferrably
under 25% of their calories.

dgk
June 20th 06, 01:09 PM
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:00:35 GMT, Kiran > wrote:

>dgk > wrote:
>
>: I'd like to know if that is true. My boys love the ProPlan salmon and
>: rice (wet and dry) and don't seem to really like anything else. So
>: they get a lot of S&R.
>
>First things first: any food is better than no food, so if that's all
>they will eat, keep giving it to them.
>
>However, it would be nice if you could find a chicken or turkey formula
>they will eat. Try mixing it with salmon or salmon if that helps. If
>you can find a few alternatives, keep seafood under 50% and preferrably
>under 25% of their calories.

Well my car was dead for almost two weeks (I did dry out the carpet
with kitty litter) so I haven't been able to get to the pet store that
has ProPlan, so they've been eating a reserve of stuff that they
didn't really like in the past, such as Nutro, Petguard, and a few
others. They eat some and the rest goes bad. Then they eat some dry
stuff. They're getting along fine. That is, as long as I don't run out
of Temptations. Then they'll poop in my shoe.