PDA

View Full Version : Is this strange behavior?

DocuMaker
June 20th 06, 02:15 AM
Well - this is probably a strange post!

Last night, a cat walked up to my husband and the both of them meowed
to each other in play. Since then, this cat has literally "marked" each
one of us (mom,dad, & kids including objects in our home w/ cheek
kisses), exposed his belly to us on several occassions, and paws at us
and the floor (breastfeeding motion - forgot what that's called.).

He has not left. Asked all the neighbors - nobody knows where this cat
came from.

And he isn't even interested in or frightened by the strange sounds in
this house yet he has NEVER been here before! I can't tell his age, but
I would equate him to a young teen? pre-teen? The little dude acts as
if this is his home!

Isn't this highly unusual?? Why is this strange cat claiming all of us
and making motions that jog his memory of breastfeeding (mom)?? Why
isn't he slightly afraid of the noises in the house? He doesn't even
seem curious about the rooms in the house - he just wants to hang out
with us in the living room!

If this is normal - PLEASE let me know so I can stop all these
far-fetched theories that this little guy is a reincarnate or
something!

Looking forward to your explanation(s).

kurupt
June 20th 06, 02:21 AM
DocuMaker wrote:
!

> Looking forward to your explanation(s).

I think you got a good cat on your hands

Sounds like he's been raised indoors.

I think it's great! You thinking about putting up flyers?

probably wandered far from home and is hungry as hell

Ryan Robbins
June 20th 06, 03:19 AM
"DocuMaker" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well - this is probably a strange post!
>
> Last night, a cat walked up to my husband and the both of them meowed
> to each other in play. Since then, this cat has literally "marked" each
> one of us (mom,dad, & kids including objects in our home w/ cheek
> kisses), exposed his belly to us on several occassions, and paws at us
> and the floor (breastfeeding motion - forgot what that's called.).

Kneading.

> Isn't this highly unusual?? Why is this strange cat claiming all of us
> and making motions that jog his memory of breastfeeding (mom)?? Why
> isn't he slightly afraid of the noises in the house? He doesn't even
> seem curious about the rooms in the house - he just wants to hang out
> with us in the living room!
>
> If this is normal - PLEASE let me know so I can stop all these
> far-fetched theories that this little guy is a reincarnate or
> something!

It's normal. By exposing his belly, he's showing that he trusts you. Rubbing
his scent onto objects (people included) is also quite normal.

Gail
June 20th 06, 03:31 AM
The kitten is happy to be with you. He will make a good pet. Make sure he is
seen by a vet and neutered so he does not spray in the house. His behavior
is normal!!
Gail
"DocuMaker" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well - this is probably a strange post!
>
> Last night, a cat walked up to my husband and the both of them meowed
> to each other in play. Since then, this cat has literally "marked" each
> one of us (mom,dad, & kids including objects in our home w/ cheek
> kisses), exposed his belly to us on several occassions, and paws at us
> and the floor (breastfeeding motion - forgot what that's called.).
>
> He has not left. Asked all the neighbors - nobody knows where this cat
> came from.
>
> And he isn't even interested in or frightened by the strange sounds in
> this house yet he has NEVER been here before! I can't tell his age, but
> I would equate him to a young teen? pre-teen? The little dude acts as
> if this is his home!
>
> Isn't this highly unusual?? Why is this strange cat claiming all of us
> and making motions that jog his memory of breastfeeding (mom)?? Why
> isn't he slightly afraid of the noises in the house? He doesn't even
> seem curious about the rooms in the house - he just wants to hang out
> with us in the living room!
>
> If this is normal - PLEASE let me know so I can stop all these
> far-fetched theories that this little guy is a reincarnate or
> something!
>
> Looking forward to your explanation(s).

Kitkat
June 20th 06, 04:01 PM
Barb wrote:
> Normal behavior. Could even be paranormal. I read in an article where this
> woman had her neighbor's cat constantly coming over to hang out with her.
> Eventually the neighbor gave her the cat since it was obvious that the cat
> preferred her. Suddenly, one day, the cat began pawing at one of her
> breasts whenever she lay down. Something made her decide to get a physical
> and early breast cancer was detected in that same breast! The cat may have
> saved her life.
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

I'd like to think my kitties saved me, too! Because I am allergic to
them (Dudley in particular) I go to the allergist to try to get the best
system down for allergy management. (I'm currently a few months into
shots). Anyway, as some of you know, it was last year's visit to the
allergist and subsequent exam in his office that led to the discovery of
my thyroid cancer.

Hurray for our furry friends!
:)

Barb
June 20th 06, 04:12 PM
Normal behavior. Could even be paranormal. I read in an article where this
woman had her neighbor's cat constantly coming over to hang out with her.
Eventually the neighbor gave her the cat since it was obvious that the cat
preferred her. Suddenly, one day, the cat began pawing at one of her
breasts whenever she lay down. Something made her decide to get a physical
and early breast cancer was detected in that same breast! The cat may have
saved her life.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

cybercat
June 20th 06, 07:16 PM
"Kitkat" > wrote :>
> I'd like to think my kitties saved me, too! Because I am allergic to
> them (Dudley in particular) I go to the allergist to try to get the best
> system down for allergy management. (I'm currently a few months into
> shots). Anyway, as some of you know, it was last year's visit to the
> allergist and subsequent exam in his office that led to the discovery of
> my thyroid cancer.

That is so cool. Here's hoping for a clean bill of health for you this
go round.

DocuMaker
June 20th 06, 09:14 PM
Well I certainly would like to thank everyone for the input!! We are
going to put forth more effort to find his owners (posters, classified
ads) mostly because I am concerned for my own mental health.

I lost one of my children to a horrible tragedy and I'm apparently
trying to convince myself that this cat has the soul of my lost child
returned. <sigh>

Gotta go cry now.

Thanks again. :'-)

Toni
June 20th 06, 09:18 PM
"DocuMaker" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I lost one of my children to a horrible tragedy and I'm apparently
> trying to convince myself that this cat has the soul of my lost child
> returned. <sigh>

Should you not be able to find the owners, there are worse things than
keeping the cat.
Such as not keeping him and wishing forevermore that you had.

Sometimes animals enter our lives just at the right time...
Maybe he showed up for a reason?
Stranger things have happened.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

P No Gree G O
June 20th 06, 11:07 PM
DocuMaker wrote:
> Well I certainly would like to thank everyone for the input!! We are
> going to put forth more effort to find his owners (posters, classified
> ads) mostly because I am concerned for my own mental health.
>
> I lost one of my children to a horrible tragedy and I'm apparently
> trying to convince myself that this cat has the soul of my lost child
> returned. <sigh>
>
> Gotta go cry now.
>
> Thanks again. :'-)

I don;t think that's so crazy. Cats choose us for a reason. If this
one brings you closer to the memory of your lost child, where's the
harm? I hope you keep him -- he'd be lucky to have someone so
sensitive caring for him.

June 21st 06, 01:21 AM
In article . com>,
says...
> Well - this is probably a strange post!
>
> Last night, a cat walked up to my husband and the both of them meowed
> to each other in play. Since then, this cat has literally "marked" each
> one of us (mom,dad, & kids including objects in our home w/ cheek
> kisses), exposed his belly to us on several occassions, and paws at us
> and the floor (breastfeeding motion - forgot what that's called.).
>
> He has not left. Asked all the neighbors - nobody knows where this cat
> came from.
>
> And he isn't even interested in or frightened by the strange sounds in
> this house yet he has NEVER been here before! I can't tell his age, but
> I would equate him to a young teen? pre-teen? The little dude acts as
> if this is his home!
>
> Isn't this highly unusual?? Why is this strange cat claiming all of us
> and making motions that jog his memory of breastfeeding (mom)?? Why
> isn't he slightly afraid of the noises in the house? He doesn't even
> seem curious about the rooms in the house - he just wants to hang out
> with us in the living room!
>
> If this is normal - PLEASE let me know so I can stop all these
> far-fetched theories that this little guy is a reincarnate or
> something!
>
> Looking forward to your explanation(s).

Congratulations! You've been adopted by a cat. It is his home now so get
used to it.

Your husband should never have meowed to the cat. That was a verbal
contract.

cybercat
June 21st 06, 01:39 AM
"T" > wrote :

> Congratulations! You've been adopted by a cat. It is his home now so get
> used to it.
>
> Your husband should never have meowed to the cat. That was a verbal
> contract.

lol

I agree. And I think there is something very unusual and special about the
way
this cat showed up.

It was clearly meant to be. Such a loving animal is a great joy to have.
They
sure aren't all like this!

Kiran
June 21st 06, 05:45 AM

:
: I lost one of my children to a horrible tragedy and I'm apparently
: trying to convince myself that this cat has the soul of my lost child
: returned. <sigh>

It is fair enough to try to locate his owners. If you don't find them,
or if they seem uninterested, you must keep him.

There is a reason for all this, and when it becomes clear, you want to
be full of joy about what you did rather than regrets about what you
could have.

June 21st 06, 10:50 AM
DocuMaker wrote:
> Well I certainly would like to thank everyone for the input!! We are
> going to put forth more effort to find his owners (posters, classified
> ads) mostly because I am concerned for my own mental health.
>
> I lost one of my children to a horrible tragedy and I'm apparently
> trying to convince myself that this cat has the soul of my lost child
> returned. <sigh>
>
> Gotta go cry now.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I don't know if souls can
transfer like that, but I do know that they live on in some way. I
felt my grandfather's hands on my shoulders a couple days after he
died. Until I turned to look, I assumed it was my grandmother since I
knew somebody was there and felt the hands. But I couldn't see anybody
when I turned to say hi. I was 9 years old at the time, and that left a
very lasing impression.

I can also tell you that there are some incredible bonds.

When my first cat (Fiona) died, my second cat (Maynard) did something
very strange the first night. He slept on my shoulder, the place where
Fiona slept. Something he had never done before. He was 9 years old at
the time. He didn't do it again for almost a year. And he suddenly did
it after I burst into tears thinking of how she would never do that
again. Maynard was not incredibly bright, so I it really made me wonder
if Fiona didn't somehow influence him into moving to that spot.

And now there is Jay Jay. My instant bond, psychic kitty. I can't
explain it. He picked me when I was at the cat show. I was not looking
to get another cat. I went over to talk to the shelter lady, and this
cat hypnotised me. I looked at his grogeous eyes and huge sweet face
and believed he would be the perfect addition to my crew. He would play
with Chase, so Chase wouldn't need to chase Kra so much (that
immediately improved). He was nice to Maynard, who was elderly. He
would be a new buddy for Kira (he 's still working on that one, she's
incredibly stubborn).

When I brought him home, it was obvious that he was mine. He followed
me around like a dog. Within a week, he was waiting for me at the door
after work. And this is the really freaky part. If I get off work
early, he shows up at the door early. Even if I don't actually come
home early.Sometimes, if I get off early, I will sit and read before
coming home. It's quieter there, so I can have a nice little break
before coming home. But when I get home, I will hear comments that he;s
been waiting at the door for an hour (right about the time I got off
and started to relax).

I've had him over a year now, and he's very consistent. It's a rare day
that he isn't at the door when I open it. And he still goes there early
when I get off early. On the rare days I am late, he sits there and
cries (but only past my time).

If you can't find the owner of this cat, then accept him as a gift.
Perhaps he was sent to comfort you.

Barb
June 21st 06, 12:35 PM
Wow!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Barb
June 21st 06, 12:40 PM
There seems to be an occasional magic when a cat comes along and finds you,
even beyond the bonds with a cat that you decide to go and get.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Grawun
June 21st 06, 02:32 PM
Sometimes you go looking for a pet . Sometimes animals show up in your
life when you weren't looking for them. I think they come for a purpose
.. I have had three such pets in my life. The first was a neighbor's dog
that I became bonded with and came to live with me. This dog saw me
through a lonely childhood. She was my friend, my sister and my angel.
The second was a dog that was supposed to belong to my husband. But
this dog and I were meant for each other. He saw me through the most
difficult time of my life. An ugly divorce, learning how to support my
children and be an independent person. My cat came because someone else
insisted I take her. She is my companion in retirement and I hope she
is with me long enough to see me through old age, I tell her that she
is my gift from God. I wonder at times if she is the same little soul
in a kitty body this time.