PDA

View Full Version : Re: Why I don't frequent Chinese restaurants

Phil P.
June 20th 06, 06:27 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> > >BEIJING (Reuters) - Gun-toting animal rights protesters swarmed into a
> > >restaurant serving cat meat in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen
and
> > >forced it to shut, Xinhua news agency said Sunday.
>
> DH goes to Shenzhen frequently. I will have to tell him that it wasn't
> chicken he liked so well...
>
> -L.

Gotta start looking closely at the labels- China is exporting pet foods.
Some US brands are or may be manufactured in China.

June 20, 2006
Volume 6, Number 12
"Industry news

China petfood market brief

According to a recent USDA Foreign Agricultural Service GAIN Report, there
were roughly 150 million pet dogs in China in 2005. Research found that the
percentage of Chinese owning dogs increased from 5% in 1999 to 7% in 2004.
Analysts estimate that sales of dog and cat food in China reached nearly
RMB1.6 billion in 2004 (approximately US$199 million)-up 13% over the
previous year. Experts predict annual sales of petfood and necessities might
top RMB6 billion (roughly US$750 million) in 2008.

Chinese import figures show steady growth in the import of petfood products
from around the world-from about 1,000 tons in 2000 to nearly 3,000 tons in
2005. Chinese petfood manufacturers are also exporting at a rapid pace-about
1,000 tons in 2000 to more than 20,000 tons in 2005. So, while there is a
growing domestic market in China for US exporters, Chinese petfood exporters
are going to provide great competition for US petfood producers around the
world, said the report."

-L.
June 20th 06, 07:11 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> Gotta start looking closely at the labels- China is exporting pet foods.
> Some US brands are or may be manufactured in China.

Much of China is not much different from the US - except for the huge
presence of bicycles. DH said the best food from a restaurant and the
best service he's ever had was in Beijing - this says a lot because he
HATES to eat out.
-L.