PDA

View Full Version : kittens that are runts

BetsyinVA
June 21st 06, 03:39 PM
I had a cat for more than 20 years who never weighed more than 7
pounds. She was the best lap cat and extremely healthy. I write for a
living and it was great to have a light weight lap cat while I worked.

She died six weeks ago and now we're looking for a kitten. We really
want another small cat. Should I assume the runts of a litter will grow
up to be small? Do they have health problems or are they simply petite?

The local animal shelter has three feral kittens that were found
together. Two are labelled "three months old" and a third is labelled
"two months." They think they might be from the same litter, but
labelled the third one 2 months old becuase of his size. He seems sweet
and cuddly and hasn't hissed or seemed skittish like you would think a
feral cat would. Any opinions on whether this would be a good cat for
us? If it matters, I live in a fairly large house. It's peaceful and
very quiet since I work from home all day. The kitten would have plenty
of company but I'm working so I can't play all day.

Thanks, Betsy

Gail
June 21st 06, 03:56 PM
You cannot assume that a runt would grow up to be small. Your best bet is to
adopt an adult small cat at a shelter. This way, you would know his/her size
and his/her personality.
GAil
"BetsyinVA" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I had a cat for more than 20 years who never weighed more than 7
> pounds. She was the best lap cat and extremely healthy. I write for a
> living and it was great to have a light weight lap cat while I worked.
>
> She died six weeks ago and now we're looking for a kitten. We really
> want another small cat. Should I assume the runts of a litter will grow
> up to be small? Do they have health problems or are they simply petite?
>

> The local animal shelter has three feral kittens that were found
> together. Two are labelled "three months old" and a third is labelled
> "two months." They think they might be from the same litter, but
> labelled the third one 2 months old becuase of his size. He seems sweet
> and cuddly and hasn't hissed or seemed skittish like you would think a
> feral cat would. Any opinions on whether this would be a good cat for
> us? If it matters, I live in a fairly large house. It's peaceful and
> very quiet since I work from home all day. The kitten would have plenty
> of company but I'm working so I can't play all day.
>
> Thanks, Betsy

cybercat
June 21st 06, 05:32 PM
"BetsyinVA" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I had a cat for more than 20 years who never weighed more than 7
> pounds. She was the best lap cat and extremely healthy. I write for a
> living and it was great to have a light weight lap cat while I worked.
>
> She died six weeks ago and now we're looking for a kitten. We really
> want another small cat. Should I assume the runts of a litter will grow
> up to be small? Do they have health problems or are they simply petite?

Betsy, the sweetest cat I have ever had is a seven-pound shelter
cat I got when she was a year old. Why take a chance on a kitten?
Adopt an adult that has already attained its full size and is small like
you want.

(If you also adopt an adult that has been at the shelter for a while,
you can be pretty sure it has good bathroom habits etc. My Gracie
had been at the shelter for four months. The first thing she did was
stretttttttch and stretch, she was so grateful to get out of the small
crowded space.)

My condolences for the loss of your kitty.

Rhonda
June 21st 06, 05:35 PM
That doesn't sound like a feral kitten. Maybe he has had human contact.

If he is truly feral, be prepared for the chance of some hiding and
skittish behavior when you get home. Just be sure you're willing to make
the commitment and work with that if it does happen.

As for being small or large, this is what happened in the one litter
born here -- of the three largest kittens, one is a petite adult (6-7
lbs) and the other two are large adults. The smaller kitten stayed small
and the runt died at 7 weeks.

With cats, I've always just gone with the one that captured my heart or
that I knew needed me.

Sounds like you have a big home, how about getting more than one? :)

Rhonda

BetsyinVA wrote:

> The local animal shelter has three feral kittens that were found
> together. Two are labelled "three months old" and a third is labelled
> "two months." They think they might be from the same litter, but
> labelled the third one 2 months old becuase of his size. He seems sweet
> and cuddly and hasn't hissed or seemed skittish like you would think a
> feral cat would. Any opinions on whether this would be a good cat for
> us? If it matters, I live in a fairly large house. It's peaceful and
> very quiet since I work from home all day. The kitten would have plenty
> of company but I'm working so I can't play all day.
>
> Thanks, Betsy

-L.
June 21st 06, 06:51 PM
cybercat wrote:

> Betsy, the sweetest cat I have ever had is a seven-pound shelter
> cat I got when she was a year old. Why take a chance on a kitten?
> Adopt an adult that has already attained its full size and is small like
> you want.

That's actually excellent advice if size is very important to you.
There are tons of adult cats waiting in shelters and they make awesome
pets.

-L.

Gail
June 21st 06, 09:25 PM
Congratulations on your new baby!!
Gail
"BetsyinVA" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the great replies, everyone. I finalized adoption an hour
> ago. I tried to get an older cat, but none of the ones at the shelter
> were lap cats. The guy at the shelter recommended we needed to get a
> kitten and train it to be a lap cat. I hope that's the case... at any
> rate I'll love him even if he becomes 22 pounds. He'll just be a lap
> kitty that leaves me with a dented lap!
>
> Betsy

HRFLTiger
June 21st 06, 10:28 PM
BetsyinVA wrote:

Should I assume the runts of a litter will grow
> up to be small? Do they have health problems or are they simply petite?////

My *runt* (who was 8oz when I got him) has grown into a majestic 11lb
cat. He certainly doesn't weigh like a runt when he jumps on me!

Helen M