PDA

View Full Version : Raspy Meow - Cause for Concern?

Marvontherim
June 21st 06, 05:32 PM
I have a 14 year old male cat that was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about 2
months ago. He is on Methimazole (10 mg - 0.5 by mouth twice a day). He has
always been very vocal; however, his meow has become very raspy and hoarse.
He eats well and has gained back the weight he lost prior to his diagnosis.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

cybercat
June 21st 06, 05:49 PM
"Marvontherim" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> I have a 14 year old male cat that was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism
about 2
> months ago. He is on Methimazole (10 mg - 0.5 by mouth twice a day). He
has
> always been very vocal; however, his meow has become very raspy and
hoarse.
> He eats well and has gained back the weight he lost prior to his
diagnosis.
> Any thoughts or suggestions?

Has the vet checked him recently (since the raspiness) to see if his thyroid
is enlarged? I think that can cause raspiness. (I know it can in humans.) I
would have him checked even though you just had him in two months ago.
Hoarseness is one of those Big Five symptoms in people, the ones that
doctors sit up and take notice at. (Said my doctor when I turned up hoarse.)

Marvontherim
June 21st 06, 08:17 PM
cybercat wrote:
>> I have a 14 year old male cat that was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about 2
>> months ago. He is on Methimazole (10 mg - 0.5 by mouth twice a day). He has
>> always been very vocal; however, his meow has become very raspy and hoarse.
>> He eats well and has gained back the weight he lost prior to his diagnosis.
>> Any thoughts or suggestions?
>
>Has the vet checked him recently (since the raspiness) to see if his thyroid
>is enlarged? I think that can cause raspiness. (I know it can in humans.) I
>would have him checked even though you just had him in two months ago.
>Hoarseness is one of those Big Five symptoms in people, the ones that
>doctors sit up and take notice at. (Said my doctor when I turned up hoarse.)

Thanks for your advice - I'll call the vet.

Kitkat
June 22nd 06, 12:13 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "Marvontherim" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>
>>I have a 14 year old male cat that was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism
>
> about 2
>
>>months ago. He is on Methimazole (10 mg - 0.5 by mouth twice a day). He
>
> has
>
>>always been very vocal; however, his meow has become very raspy and
>
> hoarse.
>
>>He eats well and has gained back the weight he lost prior to his
>
> diagnosis.
>
>>Any thoughts or suggestions?
>

> Has the vet checked him recently (since the raspiness) to see if his thyroid
> is enlarged? I think that can cause raspiness. (I know it can in humans.) I
> would have him checked even though you just had him in two months ago.
> Hoarseness is one of those Big Five symptoms in people, the ones that
> doctors sit up and take notice at. (Said my doctor when I turned up hoarse.)

Being hoarse was one of the symptoms of thyroid cancer that I was
experiencing. Since your kitty already has thyroid problems, i would
definitely discuss this with the vet asap! Like cybercat said...it could
mean that kitty's thyroid is enlarged due to a tumor, etc.

Good luck!!!
Pam
(who did not know that being hoarse was one of the "five big
symptoms"!!!!!!! i chalked it up to being a teacher who has to talk all
day long!!!)