PDA

View Full Version : Some behavior/getting along questions...

WorththeWait
June 21st 06, 08:14 PM
Any suggestions on how to help Checkers (8) and Dulci (1) get along a little
better? Both are female, and Checkers, being a good bit older, isn't much of
a romper. Dulci, on the other hand, will play with anything that moves, and
a good few things that don't. Checkers has been front-declawed (previous
owner, I would never!), and is a good bit bigger than Dulci, who still has
her front claws. Dulci is NOT aggressive towards Checkers, but she likes to
play. Checkers will hiss, swipe, & even bite at Dulci if she gets too
rambunctious... Dulci, of course, defends herself. Lately, they seem to have
come to a sort of tentative cease-fire... I even had them both on the same
couch - with me between them! - last night.

Part of the problem is that we just moved, so there are boxes everywhere and
it's waaaayy too easy for them to surprise each other. That situation is
gradually improving, but I'm sure you can imagine the chaos!

Anyone here familiar with Native American culture, specifically related to
dream-catchers? Dulci pulled one apart about two weeks ago, and has been
terrified of her own shadow ever since. My husband is half Cherokee, and I'm
partly so (a very small part, wwaaaay back, Dutch fur trader saw a pretty
girl, you get the idea), but neither of us knows very much about the culture.
John was raised by his mother & her family (Czech ), and I didn't even know I
had tribe blood until I dug out the geneology my gt.grandmother made. The
first couple of days after, Dulci wouldn't let ANYBODY touch her... I've got
the claw marks to prove it. After I fixed the dreamcatcher she's been
getting slowly better, but she's far and away more timid and quiet than she
used to be. Ideas?

WorththeWait via CatKB.com
June 22nd 06, 04:37 PM
um... somebody?

Rhonda
June 22nd 06, 04:42 PM
I don't really have an answer. Everyone is probably under stress with
the move and the boxes, plus they know your other cat is sick. Maybe
they're all just on edge. Could they have gotten into the same
chemicals? If they don't feel well, their moods could be off.

If you know they're not sick, I would give it time. Lavish attention on
both of them, especially the one out of sorts.

I'm not familiar with dream-catchers, other than I know what one looks like.

Rhonda

WorththeWait via CatKB.com wrote:

> um... somebody?

WorththeWait via CatKB.com
June 22nd 06, 04:52 PM
No... Dulci's fine. (John is my husband, lol.) If they'd gotten into the
same stuff, Dulci'd be sick too, and she hasn't shown any indications of not
feeling well... other than jumping at her own shadow! She was always a shy
cat, but since she pulled apart the catcher she's been downright highstrung!
It's getting better as we get things put away and boxes diminish...

In fairness, I didn't introduce them very well... I don't really know much
about cats, and all I knew to do was to make sure they saw each other.
Checkers turned out to be far more territorial than I expected, and Dulci
much shyer. The current relationship of wary tolerance is definately an
improvement...

Rhonda wrote:
>I don't really have an answer. Everyone is probably under stress with
>the move and the boxes, plus they know your other cat is sick. Maybe
>they're all just on edge. Could they have gotten into the same
>chemicals? If they don't feel well, their moods could be off.
>
>If you know they're not sick, I would give it time. Lavish attention on
>both of them, especially the one out of sorts.
>
>I'm not familiar with dream-catchers, other than I know what one looks like.
>
>Rhonda
>
>> um... somebody?

zigzag-man
June 22nd 06, 10:07 PM
WorththeWait wrote:
> Any suggestions on how to help Checkers (8) and Dulci (1) get along a little
> better?

chill already damn

I didn't see you put no quater in the slot

what do you want for nothing something?

put the troublemaker or BOTH in time out.

crate em

I wouldn't put up with nasty behavior from either of them

June 23rd 06, 08:54 AM
Try to relax! Really. If they're letting you sit between them on the
couch - then it's really not that bad. Declawed cats will be defensive
- they can't help it and it's natural enough under the circumstances,
and if the younger clawed one is on the rambunctious side - then that's
going to make it worse. To some degree, its between them and if no one
is getting hurt, then you may beed to step aside and let them work it
out to some degree.
The older cat is supposed to knock the younger one upside the head when
she gets too rambunctious - that's her job. Remember - they can't talk.
Think of it as a particularly violent version of "quit it".

In terms of helping them to get things settled, I'd try giving them
some treats together
(one for Checkers then one for Dulci etc) - or anything else they both
especially like - so they will have positive associations with good
things happening to them when they are together. Some people think a
Feliway spray can have a calming effect. Try to figure out when Dulci
gets rambunctious (times of day etc) and distract her with a vigourous
game so she's too tired to bug Checkers. If you see what seems like
unsolicited aggression from Dulci (who is most likely younger, more
impressionable, and should be in the #2 cat position) try giving her an
isolated time out. She may come to the conclusion that you don't like
it when she bugs Checkers and chill out a bit (at least when you're
around - lol). And Checkers will feel vindicated - which may well
improve her mood. And be patient. Cats form their relationships at the
speed of molasses, but they do form them and most (not all, but most)
cats will learn to live together just fine - sooner or later.

WorththeWait wrote:
> Any suggestions on how to help Checkers (8) and Dulci (1) get along a little
> better? Both are female, and Checkers, being a good bit older, isn't much of
> a romper. Dulci, on the other hand, will play with anything that moves, and
> a good few things that don't. Checkers has been front-declawed (previous
> owner, I would never!), and is a good bit bigger than Dulci, who still has
> her front claws. Dulci is NOT aggressive towards Checkers, but she likes to
> play. Checkers will hiss, swipe, & even bite at Dulci if she gets too
> rambunctious... Dulci, of course, defends herself. Lately, they seem to have
> come to a sort of tentative cease-fire... I even had them both on the same
> couch - with me between them! - last night.
>
> Part of the problem is that we just moved, so there are boxes everywhere and
> it's waaaayy too easy for them to surprise each other. That situation is
> gradually improving, but I'm sure you can imagine the chaos!
>
> Anyone here familiar with Native American culture, specifically related to
> dream-catchers? Dulci pulled one apart about two weeks ago, and has been
> terrified of her own shadow ever since. My husband is half Cherokee, and I'm
> partly so (a very small part, wwaaaay back, Dutch fur trader saw a pretty
> girl, you get the idea), but neither of us knows very much about the culture.
> John was raised by his mother & her family (Czech ), and I didn't even know I
> had tribe blood until I dug out the geneology my gt.grandmother made. The
> first couple of days after, Dulci wouldn't let ANYBODY touch her... I've got
> the claw marks to prove it. After I fixed the dreamcatcher she's been
> getting slowly better, but she's far and away more timid and quiet than she
> used to be. Ideas?

WorththeWait via CatKB.com
June 23rd 06, 04:06 PM
Rudeness is not helpful. People come here to ask for help, not to be treated
like stupid children. I will never cage my cats, and if you knew anything
about cats you'd know that's not a solution, but rather a fantastic way to
end up with a feral cat. As for paying, you pompous.... rude person, this is
a free community board. Free being the operative word.

And what gave anyone the idea I was excited/upset/etc, or for any other
reason needed to "chill?" How to help my cats get along is a perfectly
legitmate question, and the rest of it I considered background that might be
helpful.

As to the others, thank you for your suggestions, I hope they prove useful.