PDA

View Full Version : cat howling

yepp
June 23rd 06, 01:26 PM
My 10 year old neutered male cat has recently been howling for hours on
end. He walks into another room and just howls. I either go to him or
carry him back with me and he just wanders back into another empty room
and howls. A horrible sound.

He has started to become interested in the shower, bathroom mirror and
the bathroom in general. It's weird. He just is acting strange.

There are no other problems.. he eats, poops and sleeps well. The
howling starts in the morning and all hours I am home after work. He
doesn't do it at night.

I've been reading other messages from people here and some say it could
be dementia, but their cats are 17 or over in age and mine is only 10.
Still a senior cat but not that old.

I will plan on a visit to the vets but was wondering if anyone had a
similar experience or ideas on what could be going on?

Matthew
June 23rd 06, 01:32 PM
Have his hearing checked he might be going deaf and can not hear what he
is doing. One of my cats did this would keep howling until you walked over
and tapped her on the head to say here we are

"yepp" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My 10 year old neutered male cat has recently been howling for hours on
> end. He walks into another room and just howls. I either go to him or
> carry him back with me and he just wanders back into another empty room
> and howls. A horrible sound.
>
> He has started to become interested in the shower, bathroom mirror and
> the bathroom in general. It's weird. He just is acting strange.
>
> There are no other problems.. he eats, poops and sleeps well. The
> howling starts in the morning and all hours I am home after work. He
> doesn't do it at night.
>
> I've been reading other messages from people here and some say it could
> be dementia, but their cats are 17 or over in age and mine is only 10.
> Still a senior cat but not that old.
>
> I will plan on a visit to the vets but was wondering if anyone had a
> similar experience or ideas on what could be going on?

Gail
June 23rd 06, 01:45 PM
He could be becoming deaf. It could be hyperactive thyroid. He definitely
needs to be checked by a vet.
Gail
"yepp" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My 10 year old neutered male cat has recently been howling for hours on
> end. He walks into another room and just howls. I either go to him or
> carry him back with me and he just wanders back into another empty room
> and howls. A horrible sound.
>
> He has started to become interested in the shower, bathroom mirror and
> the bathroom in general. It's weird. He just is acting strange.
>
> There are no other problems.. he eats, poops and sleeps well. The
> howling starts in the morning and all hours I am home after work. He
> doesn't do it at night.
>
> I've been reading other messages from people here and some say it could
> be dementia, but their cats are 17 or over in age and mine is only 10.
> Still a senior cat but not that old.
>
> I will plan on a visit to the vets but was wondering if anyone had a
> similar experience or ideas on what could be going on?

MaryL
June 23rd 06, 02:28 PM
"yepp" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My 10 year old neutered male cat has recently been howling for hours on
> end. He walks into another room and just howls. I either go to him or
> carry him back with me and he just wanders back into another empty room
> and howls. A horrible sound.
>
> He has started to become interested in the shower, bathroom mirror and
> the bathroom in general. It's weird. He just is acting strange.
>
> There are no other problems.. he eats, poops and sleeps well. The
> howling starts in the morning and all hours I am home after work. He
> doesn't do it at night.
>
> I've been reading other messages from people here and some say it could
> be dementia, but their cats are 17 or over in age and mine is only 10.
> Still a senior cat but not that old.
>
> I will plan on a visit to the vets but was wondering if anyone had a
> similar experience or ideas on what could be going on?

Be sure to ask your vet for a thyroid test. Howling or constant crying is
often an indicator.

MaryL

yepp
June 23rd 06, 02:38 PM
Matthew wrote:
> Have his hearing checked he might be going deaf and can not hear what he
> is doing. One of my cats did this would keep howling until you walked over
> and tapped her on the head to say here we are

I know he hears me because when he is in another room and I call him,
he comes over. He usually sits with me on the sofa and last night he
only wanted to stay in the bathroom. When I shower, he paws at the
curtain to get in. Even when he gets wet, he still wants in.

cybercat
June 23rd 06, 03:27 PM
"yepp" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Matthew wrote:
> > Have his hearing checked he might be going deaf and can not hear what
he
> > is doing. One of my cats did this would keep howling until you walked
over
> > and tapped her on the head to say here we are
> >

> I know he hears me because when he is in another room and I call him,
> he comes over. He usually sits with me on the sofa and last night he
> only wanted to stay in the bathroom. When I shower, he paws at the
> curtain to get in. Even when he gets wet, he still wants in.

My hyperthyroid cat used to do this all the time. She stopped when
she began her thyroid pills. Take her in. Hyperthyroid cats are
at risk for blood clots/strokes and other things. It is easy and
cheap to control.

Buddy
June 23rd 06, 06:01 PM
I agree with the others. Sounds like hyperthyroid to me.