PDA

View Full Version : Cat sleeping in my hair

BetsyinVA
June 23rd 06, 02:40 PM
Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
asleep behind my head, in my hair.

Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.

Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

P No Gree G O
June 23rd 06, 02:46 PM
BetsyinVA wrote:

> Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
> increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
> panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
> plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
> asleep behind my head, in my hair.
>
> Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
> times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
> that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
> either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
> body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.
>
> Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

That is SO COOL! It means he's trying to bond and communicate with
you :-) It means he's smart and loves you.

cybercat
June 23rd 06, 03:37 PM
"BetsyinVA" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
> increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
> panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
> plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
> asleep behind my head, in my hair.
>
> Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
> times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
> that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
> either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
> body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.
>
> Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

Just move him, and pet him after you do. (And be persistent, no
doubt he will think it is a game!) Don't encourage anything
you would not want a 15-lb cat to do. Also, start early handling his
feet so you will be able to clip his claws without a hassle. Make
feet handling part of the petting, and reward him with treats and
love. (Touch his tail, too, so he won't grow up into a cat that
turns into a demon when you touch their tale! I have oneof those
and it can be very startling when you touch that tail and don't
realize it!)

Barb
June 23rd 06, 07:26 PM
So cute! You are his mom, now!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Adam Helberg
June 23rd 06, 08:03 PM
"BetsyinVA" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
> increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
> panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
> plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
> asleep behind my head, in my hair.
>
> Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
> times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
> that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
> either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
> body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.
>
> Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

Just be careful. Lots of us have been suffocated to death by cats sleeping on top of
us.

Adam

Gail
June 23rd 06, 08:41 PM
My now one year old cat still does this at times. He kneads my head for
about 5 minutes and then falls asleep on top of my head. I think this is
like a child sucking his thumb to fall asleep. Consider it a compliment. I
do.
Gail
"BetsyinVA" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
> increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
> panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
> plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
> asleep behind my head, in my hair.
>
> Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
> times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
> that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
> either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
> body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.
>
> Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

Gail Futoran
June 23rd 06, 08:45 PM
"BetsyinVA" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
> increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
> panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
> plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
> asleep behind my head, in my hair.
>
> Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
> times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
> that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
> either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
> body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.
>
> Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

Cats & kittens are individuals when it comes
to preferred sleeping locations. One of my
cats sleeps under the covers between my
legs every night. Another cat sleeps on top of
the headboard over my head. The other two
sleep elsewhere (not even in our bedroom).
My elderly Burmese, in the six months or so
before she died, insisted on sleeping on my
pillow right next to my head. She'd never
done that before.

If you don't like the kitten sleeping close to
your head, you might try picking her up and
moving her to another location. Do this
a couple of times and she might get the hint.

Gail F.
Wage Slave to Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

Charlie Wilkes
June 23rd 06, 09:27 PM
On 23 Jun 2006 06:40:05 -0700, "BetsyinVA" > wrote:

>Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
>increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
>panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
>plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
>asleep behind my head, in my hair.
>
>Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
>times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
>that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
>either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
>body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.
>
>Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

He takes comfort from your presence.

Charlie

sax_playa86
June 24th 06, 05:04 PM
I brought home a shelter kitten, who has now become my baby girl,
Marziale. She insisted on sleeping in my hair when I first brought her
home. At first I just moved her casually each time, petting and
reassuring her as I did so, eventually I even gave up on this, not sure
if it was getting anywhere. After about a week she migrated to just
sleeping beside me, sometimes the crook of my neck, sometimes by my
stomach, anything to be close. Consider it a compliment that the cat
cares that much about you already, you are officially part of its
family :)

Britt

Barb wrote:
> According to Adam Helberg-
> Just be careful. Lots of us have been suffocated to death by cats sleeping
> on top of
> us.
>
> -- Why don't we take a poll? How many of us have been suffocated to death
> by our cats? And, did it happen once, twice or more?
>
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

cybercat
June 24th 06, 05:14 PM
"sax_playa86" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I brought home a shelter kitten, who has now become my baby girl,
> Marziale. She insisted on sleeping in my hair when I first brought her
> home. At first I just moved her casually each time, petting and
> reassuring her as I did so, eventually I even gave up on this, not sure
> if it was getting anywhere. After about a week she migrated to just
> sleeping beside me, sometimes the crook of my neck, sometimes by my
> stomach, anything to be close. Consider it a compliment that the cat
> cares that much about you already, you are officially part of its
> family :)
>
> Britt

To cats, with their very sensitive noses, hair must be very fragrant.
So I can see how being in a human's hair might equal being very
close to them.

Barb
June 24th 06, 05:35 PM
According to Adam Helberg-
Just be careful. Lots of us have been suffocated to death by cats sleeping
on top of
us.

-- Why don't we take a poll? How many of us have been suffocated to death
by our cats? And, did it happen once, twice or more?

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

P No Gree G O
June 24th 06, 05:50 PM
Barb wrote:
> According to Adam Helberg-
> Just be careful. Lots of us have been suffocated to death by cats sleeping
> on top of
> us.
>
> -- Why don't we take a poll? How many of us have been suffocated to death
> by our cats? And, did it happen once, twice or more?

I think that was a joke.

cybercat
June 24th 06, 05:55 PM
"P No Gree G O" > wrote in message
> Barb wrote:
> > According to Adam Helberg-
> > Just be careful. Lots of us have been suffocated to death by cats
sleeping
> > on top of
> > us.
> >
> > -- Why don't we take a poll? How many of us have been suffocated to
death
> > by our cats? And, did it happen once, twice or more?
>
> I think that was a joke.

I think she knew that.

Wayne Boatwright
June 25th 06, 03:32 AM
Oh pshaw, on Sat 24 Jun 2006 09:35:49a, Barb meant to say...

> According to Adam Helberg-
> Just be careful. Lots of us have been suffocated to death by cats sleeping
> on top of
> us.
>
> -- Why don't we take a poll? How many of us have been suffocated to death
> by our cats? And, did it happen once, twice or more?

It's already happened 8 times. I have one more life to go.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@

Barb
June 26th 06, 01:44 AM
You must be a cat- with nine lives. Yes, I meant what I said as a joke. I
couldn't help but be amused by a poster who said that several of us had been