PDA

View Full Version : Isaac The Destroyer

Elizabeth Blake
June 23rd 06, 10:33 PM
I had posted recently about my new kitty's fascination with plastic bags. I
assumed that it was the food inside the bags that was his real interest,
since he was usually stealing food items, mainly breads. I now know that
it's the actual plastic he likes (although if there's something edible
inside - bonus!). Last night I was looking for a new t-shirt I had gotten
from L.L. Bean. They ship them neatly folded in a plastic bag, and it had
been on my dresser. I gave up looking for it, figuring I had put it in the
laundry to wash first. This morning I was in the kitchen and looked under
the table, and there's the shirt. The bag was shredded, and so was the
shirt. FULL of puncture marks from point little claws and teeth. Totally
destroyed.

I no longer believe his original owners brought him to the shelter due to
"allergies". I'm sure they just wanted some sleep, and to keep their
possessions in one piece. Isaac has loads of energy to burn, is a major
talker and enjoys waking me at 5:00am (I get up at 8:00). I've already
bought a bunch of food storage containers and now I have to make sure I
leave NO plastic out. Last night he was in the shopping cart freaking out
because I had 2 20-pound jugs of cat litter in there and he couldn't sink
his teeth into the rounded edges. He can be upsetting at times, but he's
such a sweet little guy who loves to kiss & cuddle.

--
Liz

Buddy
June 23rd 06, 10:42 PM
My kitty is obsessed with plastic also. Dry cleaning bags, etc. Then
he gets lesions along his mouth. By keeping him away from all plastic
- no more lesions. I don't understand why they are drawn to plastic?

Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> I had posted recently about my new kitty's fascination with plastic bags. I
> assumed that it was the food inside the bags that was his real interest,
> since he was usually stealing food items, mainly breads. I now know that
> it's the actual plastic he likes (although if there's something edible
> inside - bonus!). Last night I was looking for a new t-shirt I had gotten
> from L.L. Bean. They ship them neatly folded in a plastic bag, and it had
> been on my dresser. I gave up looking for it, figuring I had put it in the
> laundry to wash first. This morning I was in the kitchen and looked under
> the table, and there's the shirt. The bag was shredded, and so was the
> shirt. FULL of puncture marks from point little claws and teeth. Totally
> destroyed.
>
> I no longer believe his original owners brought him to the shelter due to
> "allergies". I'm sure they just wanted some sleep, and to keep their
> possessions in one piece. Isaac has loads of energy to burn, is a major
> talker and enjoys waking me at 5:00am (I get up at 8:00). I've already
> bought a bunch of food storage containers and now I have to make sure I
> leave NO plastic out. Last night he was in the shopping cart freaking out
> because I had 2 20-pound jugs of cat litter in there and he couldn't sink
> his teeth into the rounded edges. He can be upsetting at times, but he's
> such a sweet little guy who loves to kiss & cuddle.
>
> --
> Liz

Elizabeth Blake
June 24th 06, 03:45 AM
"Buddy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My kitty is obsessed with plastic also. Dry cleaning bags, etc. Then
> he gets lesions along his mouth. By keeping him away from all plastic
> - no more lesions. I don't understand why they are drawn to plastic?

I've read that there's some oil in the plastic that attracts them. With
Isaac, I think he likes it because it's easy to destroy. Plus it sometimes
has tasty treats inside! I haven't noticed any lesions, but I really have
been trying to keep all plastic out of reach. It never crossed my mind that
he'd steal a plastic wrapped shirt.

--
Liz