PDA

View Full Version : Clawing at mouth


mishy2606
June 27th 06, 07:48 PM
I'm wondering if anybody could help . My kitten who is 6 weeks old has
recently started clawing at her mouth causing it to bleed. This happens
usually after taking a bite of food but yesterday she was doing it even when
not eating, she would claw at her mouth with both paws every 20 seconds or so.
I took her to the vets who seemed to be at a loss as the cause of this,
stating "she's never seen anything like it before". She was kept at the vets
overnight for observation, and now although not all the time she is still
clawing at her mouth when eating. The vet has prescribed antepsin but I can't
see how this will help.

Buddy
June 27th 06, 07:53 PM
Get her to another vet for another opinion. Maybe a broken tooth?
Something [fishbone] stuck in tongue or gum? Cats don't act like that
if there isn't a reason.

mishy2606 wrote:
> I'm wondering if anybody could help . My kitten who is 6 weeks old has
> recently started clawing at her mouth causing it to bleed. This happens
> usually after taking a bite of food but yesterday she was doing it even when
> not eating, she would claw at her mouth with both paws every 20 seconds or so.
> I took her to the vets who seemed to be at a loss as the cause of this,
> stating "she's never seen anything like it before". She was kept at the vets
> overnight for observation, and now although not all the time she is still
> clawing at her mouth when eating. The vet has prescribed antepsin but I can't
> see how this will help.

Gail
June 27th 06, 11:53 PM
Yes, good advice.
Gail
"Buddy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Get her to another vet for another opinion. Maybe a broken tooth?
> Something [fishbone] stuck in tongue or gum? Cats don't act like that
> if there isn't a reason.
>
> mishy2606 wrote:
>> I'm wondering if anybody could help . My kitten who is 6 weeks old has
>> recently started clawing at her mouth causing it to bleed. This happens
>> usually after taking a bite of food but yesterday she was doing it even
>> when
>> not eating, she would claw at her mouth with both paws every 20 seconds
>> or so.
>> I took her to the vets who seemed to be at a loss as the cause of this,
>> stating "she's never seen anything like it before". She was kept at the
>> vets
>> overnight for observation, and now although not all the time she is still
>> clawing at her mouth when eating. The vet has prescribed antepsin but I
>> can't
>> see how this will help.
>

-L.
June 28th 06, 06:47 AM
mishy2606 wrote:
> I'm wondering if anybody could help . My kitten who is 6 weeks old has
> recently started clawing at her mouth causing it to bleed. This happens
> usually after taking a bite of food but yesterday she was doing it even when
> not eating, she would claw at her mouth with both paws every 20 seconds or so.
> I took her to the vets who seemed to be at a loss as the cause of this,
> stating "she's never seen anything like it before". She was kept at the vets
> overnight for observation, and now although not all the time she is still
> clawing at her mouth when eating. The vet has prescribed antepsin but I can't
> see how this will help.

She has something stuck in her throat or wrapped around the base of her
tongue. Have them look *really* well and take an x-ray.

-L.

mishy2606 via CatKB.com
June 28th 06, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the advice, however I have noticed that if I put her food in a
blender and make it really smooth she doesn't seem to claw her mouth as much,
do you think that it may be the small lumps in the food that is causing the
problem?

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200606/1

Buddy
June 28th 06, 05:10 PM
No, I don't think it is small lumps of food - she wouldn't be clawing
herself and making her mouth bleed if it were just food. Get her to
another vet.

mishy2606 via CatKB.com wrote:
> Thanks for the advice, however I have noticed that if I put her food in a
> blender and make it really smooth she doesn't seem to claw her mouth as much,
> do you think that it may be the small lumps in the food that is causing the
> problem?
>
> --
> Message posted via CatKB.com
> http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200606/1

-L.
June 28th 06, 05:34 PM
mishy2606 via CatKB.com wrote:
> Thanks for the advice, however I have noticed that if I put her food in a
> blender and make it really smooth she doesn't seem to claw her mouth as much,
> do you think that it may be the small lumps in the food that is causing the
> problem?

What kind of food are you feeding her? A 6-wk old kitten needs to be
on an exclusively canned kitten food diet, which is easy to eat.

-L.

Gail Futoran
June 29th 06, 01:10 AM
"Buddy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Get her to another vet for another opinion. Maybe a broken tooth?
> Something [fishbone] stuck in tongue or gum? Cats don't act like that
> if there isn't a reason.

I agree and would add a pin or needle stuck between
the teeth or into the gum could have that effect and
be really hard to find.

Gail F.
Proud Possession of Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

>
> mishy2606 wrote:
>> I'm wondering if anybody could help . My kitten who is 6 weeks old has
>> recently started clawing at her mouth causing it to bleed. This happens
>> usually after taking a bite of food but yesterday she was doing it even
>> when
>> not eating, she would claw at her mouth with both paws every 20 seconds
>> or so.
>> I took her to the vets who seemed to be at a loss as the cause of this,
>> stating "she's never seen anything like it before". She was kept at the
>> vets
>> overnight for observation, and now although not all the time she is still
>> clawing at her mouth when eating. The vet has prescribed antepsin but I
>> can't
>> see how this will help.
>

mishy2606 via CatKB.com
June 29th 06, 10:56 AM
She's being fed on Whiskers (wet) Kitten food and since the visit to the vet
she's been fed on Hills Scienceplan (wet) Kitten food. She is still very
playful and doesn't show any discomfort when chewing toys (or my fingers).

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200606/1

bit-o-honey
June 30th 06, 11:26 AM
mishy2606 wrote:
> I'm wondering if anybody could help . My kitten who is 6 weeks old has
> recently started clawing at her mouth causing it to bleed.

This sounds like itchy mites

TOTALLY THOROUGHLY sterilize her bedding, and her food and water bowl

throw out any toys she has..

she's got something nasty growin on her lips

something is itching her lips

June 30th 06, 06:16 PM
Gail Futoran wrote:
> "Buddy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Get her to another vet for another opinion. Maybe a broken tooth?
> > Something [fishbone] stuck in tongue or gum? Cats don't act like that
> > if there isn't a reason.
>
> I agree and would add a pin or needle stuck between
> the teeth or into the gum could have that effect and
> be really hard to find.
>
> Gail F.
> Proud Possession of Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

or perhaps something wedged between her upper teeth, up against the
roof of her mouth (like a branch of plant that she was trying to
"sample").

Elizabeth