PDA

View Full Version : Older Cat with a lot of new symptoms


Rachel
June 28th 06, 12:30 AM
My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
meow at my husband and I.

Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
afford much. Anyone have any idea what it could be or how much the vet
visit will cost. This cat is my baby and my heart is just breaking
because I can't do more. He doesn't seem to be in any pain aside from
his legs when he jumps down, but I've stopped his arthritis medicine
because it seemed to make him much worse. I've started giving him some
tuna and I'm going to by him some wet cat food to make sure he's eating
still.

Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.

cybercat
June 28th 06, 12:32 AM
"Rachel" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
> that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
> litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
> He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
> meow at my husband and I.
>
> Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
> afford much. Anyone have any idea what it could be or how much the vet
> visit will cost. This cat is my baby and my heart is just breaking
> because I can't do more. He doesn't seem to be in any pain aside from
> his legs when he jumps down, but I've stopped his arthritis medicine
> because it seemed to make him much worse. I've started giving him some
> tuna and I'm going to by him some wet cat food to make sure he's eating
> still.
>
> Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.
>

Borrow the money, or sell something on ebay. Your cat needs to see
a vet. Do you have parents, siblings, friends who can help? You need
less than $50.



Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Magic Mood JeepŠ
June 28th 06, 12:40 AM
Rachel wrote:
> My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
> that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
> litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
> He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
> meow at my husband and I.
>
> Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
> afford much. Anyone have any idea what it could be or how much the
> vet visit will cost. This cat is my baby and my heart is just
> breaking because I can't do more. He doesn't seem to be in any pain
> aside from his legs when he jumps down, but I've stopped his
> arthritis medicine because it seemed to make him much worse. I've
> started giving him some tuna and I'm going to by him some wet cat
> food to make sure he's eating still.
>
> Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.

If this weren't a cat, but your (human) actual baby, you'd be rushing
him/her to a doctor, right? If you have to cancel your internet account to
be able to afford it, you'd do so (many libraries in US have free internet
access nowadays. I'm assuming you're in the US as you're using google).

When my cat (Ivy, RB 2002) started doing just that, she was rushed to the
vet NO MATTER THE COST, and we discovered that she had Chronic Renal Failure
(CRF). Cats can live a long time with failing kidneys, especially with the
proper treatment, but alas, Poor Ivy only lasted another 8 months.

CALL your vet and describe the symptoms, EXPLAIN your financial situation
and see if they will accept payments (weekly, monthly, whatever). A vet
that actually CARES about animals will accept payments. A vet that only
cares about his/her finances won't (and should be avoided).

blkcatgal
June 28th 06, 12:44 AM
Your cat really needs to see a vet. At 18, he should have a complete blood
work-up done in order to find out what may be the problem. I know it may
be tough to come up with the necessary funds but he really should see a vet.
Inquire with your local humane society. They sometimes offer veterinarian
services at a discounted rate. Or ask the veterinarian if they would
consider a payment plan.

Sue

"Rachel" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
> that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
> litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
> He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
> meow at my husband and I.
>
> Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
> afford much. Anyone have any idea what it could be or how much the vet
> visit will cost. This cat is my baby and my heart is just breaking
> because I can't do more. He doesn't seem to be in any pain aside from
> his legs when he jumps down, but I've stopped his arthritis medicine
> because it seemed to make him much worse. I've started giving him some
> tuna and I'm going to by him some wet cat food to make sure he's eating
> still.
>
> Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.
>

Gail
June 28th 06, 12:53 AM
YES. He does need to see a vet ASAP.
Gail
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Your cat really needs to see a vet. At 18, he should have a complete
> blood work-up done in order to find out what may be the problem. I know
> it may be tough to come up with the necessary funds but he really should
> see a vet. Inquire with your local humane society. They sometimes offer
> veterinarian services at a discounted rate. Or ask the veterinarian if
> they would consider a payment plan.
>
> Sue
>
> "Rachel" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
>> that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
>> litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
>> He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
>> meow at my husband and I.
>>
>> Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
>> afford much. Anyone have any idea what it could be or how much the vet
>> visit will cost. This cat is my baby and my heart is just breaking
>> because I can't do more. He doesn't seem to be in any pain aside from
>> his legs when he jumps down, but I've stopped his arthritis medicine
>> because it seemed to make him much worse. I've started giving him some
>> tuna and I'm going to by him some wet cat food to make sure he's eating
>> still.
>>
>> Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.
>>
>
>

June 28th 06, 01:03 AM
All the vets I've called don't have payment plans so I've asked a local
humane organization. I'm so dissapointed, I really can't believe that
these vets aren't willing to help.


Magic Mood JeepŠ wrote:
> Rachel wrote:
> > My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
> > that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
> > litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
> > He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
> > meow at my husband and I.
> >
> > Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
> > afford much. Anyone have any idea what it could be or how much the
> > vet visit will cost. This cat is my baby and my heart is just
> > breaking because I can't do more. He doesn't seem to be in any pain
> > aside from his legs when he jumps down, but I've stopped his
> > arthritis medicine because it seemed to make him much worse. I've
> > started giving him some tuna and I'm going to by him some wet cat
> > food to make sure he's eating still.
> >
> > Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.
>
> If this weren't a cat, but your (human) actual baby, you'd be rushing
> him/her to a doctor, right? If you have to cancel your internet account to
> be able to afford it, you'd do so (many libraries in US have free internet
> access nowadays. I'm assuming you're in the US as you're using google).
>
> When my cat (Ivy, RB 2002) started doing just that, she was rushed to the
> vet NO MATTER THE COST, and we discovered that she had Chronic Renal Failure
> (CRF). Cats can live a long time with failing kidneys, especially with the
> proper treatment, but alas, Poor Ivy only lasted another 8 months.
>
> CALL your vet and describe the symptoms, EXPLAIN your financial situation
> and see if they will accept payments (weekly, monthly, whatever). A vet
> that actually CARES about animals will accept payments. A vet that only
> cares about his/her finances won't (and should be avoided).

Buddy
June 28th 06, 01:39 AM
Please take your kitty to the vet regardless of your finances. Sounds
to me like hyperthyroid - which is not expensive to test nor to treat -
but can kill if left undiagnosed. Don't let your baby suffer. Sounds
like he is jaundiced and that is why he is losing control of the back
legs. Please go to the vet NOW! The staying up all night and meowing
and drinking lots of water tells me it is thyroid.


wrote:
> All the vets I've called don't have payment plans so I've asked a local
> humane organization. I'm so dissapointed, I really can't believe that
> these vets aren't willing to help.
>
>
> Magic Mood JeepŠ wrote:
> > Rachel wrote:
> > > My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
> > > that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
> > > litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
> > > He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
> > > meow at my husband and I.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
> > > afford much. Anyone have any idea what it could be or how much the
> > > vet visit will cost. This cat is my baby and my heart is just
> > > breaking because I can't do more. He doesn't seem to be in any pain
> > > aside from his legs when he jumps down, but I've stopped his
> > > arthritis medicine because it seemed to make him much worse. I've
> > > started giving him some tuna and I'm going to by him some wet cat
> > > food to make sure he's eating still.
> > >
> > > Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.
> >
> > If this weren't a cat, but your (human) actual baby, you'd be rushing
> > him/her to a doctor, right? If you have to cancel your internet account to
> > be able to afford it, you'd do so (many libraries in US have free internet
> > access nowadays. I'm assuming you're in the US as you're using google).
> >
> > When my cat (Ivy, RB 2002) started doing just that, she was rushed to the
> > vet NO MATTER THE COST, and we discovered that she had Chronic Renal Failure
> > (CRF). Cats can live a long time with failing kidneys, especially withthe
> > proper treatment, but alas, Poor Ivy only lasted another 8 months.
> >
> > CALL your vet and describe the symptoms, EXPLAIN your financial situation
> > and see if they will accept payments (weekly, monthly, whatever). A vet
> > that actually CARES about animals will accept payments. A vet that only
> > cares about his/her finances won't (and should be avoided).

cybercat
June 28th 06, 02:23 AM
"Rachel" > wrote in message
oups.com...


> Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
> afford much.

also, Rachel, I just wanted to say that most of us understand what it is to
be low on money. It is hard. But when it comes down to it, you can find
money. What you have set aside for groceries, you can use that and go
lighter
this week. Hock something! Call a vet and see what he can work out with
you. Don't be proud, just get your kittie the help he needs. If you love him
you will never forgive yourself for not doing the right thing by him. Good
luck
and keep us posted. Nobody meant to be judgmental. But you do need to g
get him seen by a vet.



Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

hccatowner
June 28th 06, 02:07 PM
Hi Rachel - First let me say I am new here, but I've been through this with
my older cats; I'm sorry he's going through this and understand how upsetting
it is. I have to say though, that I agree with the posts here, he really
needs to get to the vet and have a wellness or geriatric profile done and a
urinalysis. If he is starting to have or is in kidney failure (he will be
peeing a LOT and drinking a lot of water) he may need fluids and can be
stablilized. Kidney disease is silent until they are really having problems.
I had a cat that had both kidney disease and diabetes and with proper food
and daily insulin lived with both conditions for five years. The tests can
be pricey, but if it was me I would put it on my credit card if I had to.

I also want to suggest that you replace his litter box with something lower.
I have a deaf cat that has never had good balance, who last year had
something neurological happen (vet thinks it may have been a mild stroke).
His balance got a little worse, and he started peeing on my throw rugs. He
would always cry loudly before he went as though he was very upset. I bought
one of those drip trays that goes under plant pots - the largest I could find
for his litter, and I keep it in the room that he likes to be in the most.
It is only about 2 1/2 inches high. It solved the problem--he was just so
unsteady that he didn't want to climb into the regular litter box anymore-or
go down the stairs to the basement either. Though now, a year later he is
going down there once in a while.

Good luck-obviously your cat is well loved to have made it to 18!

Cindy


Rachel wrote:
>My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
>that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
>litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
>He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
>meow at my husband and I.
>
>Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
>afford much. Anyone have any idea what it could be or how much the vet
>visit will cost. This cat is my baby and my heart is just breaking
>because I can't do more. He doesn't seem to be in any pain aside from
>his legs when he jumps down, but I've stopped his arthritis medicine
>because it seemed to make him much worse. I've started giving him some
>tuna and I'm going to by him some wet cat food to make sure he's eating
>still.
>
>Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.

Barb
June 28th 06, 04:16 PM
Visa, Master Card- they have payment plans. To me, this would be a reason
to carry some debt for a while.

Go on eBay. See what people are buying and then look amongst your own
things.

Good luck.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Rachel
June 29th 06, 01:47 AM
Cindy,

Thank you so much for your post I appreciated your kind words. Just to
let you know I have gotten my cat to eat and I've made a vet
appointment for him on Saturday.


Thank You,
Rachel

hccatowner wrote:
> Hi Rachel - First let me say I am new here, but I've been through this with
> my older cats; I'm sorry he's going through this and understand how upsetting
> it is. I have to say though, that I agree with the posts here, he really
> needs to get to the vet and have a wellness or geriatric profile done and a
> urinalysis. If he is starting to have or is in kidney failure (he will be
> peeing a LOT and drinking a lot of water) he may need fluids and can be
> stablilized. Kidney disease is silent until they are really having problems.
> I had a cat that had both kidney disease and diabetes and with proper food
> and daily insulin lived with both conditions for five years. The tests can
> be pricey, but if it was me I would put it on my credit card if I had to.
>
> I also want to suggest that you replace his litter box with something lower.
> I have a deaf cat that has never had good balance, who last year had
> something neurological happen (vet thinks it may have been a mild stroke).
> His balance got a little worse, and he started peeing on my throw rugs. He
> would always cry loudly before he went as though he was very upset. I bought
> one of those drip trays that goes under plant pots - the largest I could find
> for his litter, and I keep it in the room that he likes to be in the most.
> It is only about 2 1/2 inches high. It solved the problem--he was just so
> unsteady that he didn't want to climb into the regular litter box anymore-or
> go down the stairs to the basement either. Though now, a year later he is
> going down there once in a while.
>
> Good luck-obviously your cat is well loved to have made it to 18!
>
> Cindy
>
>
> Rachel wrote:
> >My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
> >that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
> >litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
> >He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
> >meow at my husband and I.
> >
> >Unfortunately my husband and I are struggling financially and can't
> >afford much. Anyone have any idea what it could be or how much the vet
> >visit will cost. This cat is my baby and my heart is just breaking
> >because I can't do more. He doesn't seem to be in any pain aside from
> >his legs when he jumps down, but I've stopped his arthritis medicine
> >because it seemed to make him much worse. I've started giving him some
> >tuna and I'm going to by him some wet cat food to make sure he's eating
> >still.
> >
> >Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.

hccatowner via CatKB.com
June 29th 06, 01:59 PM
You are very welcome, and that is good news that he is eating! I'll be very
interested to hear what the vet thinks, though of course it may be a few days
before they get results from blood work. Good luck, with everything and let
us know what you find out.

Cindy

Rachel wrote:
>Cindy,
>
>Thank you so much for your post I appreciated your kind words. Just to
>let you know I have gotten my cat to eat and I've made a vet
>appointment for him on Saturday.
>
>Thank You,
>Rachel
>
>> Hi Rachel - First let me say I am new here, but I've been through this with
>> my older cats; I'm sorry he's going through this and understand how upsetting
>[quoted text clipped - 39 lines]
>> >
>> >Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200606/1

hccatowner via CatKB.com
June 29th 06, 02:13 PM
Oops, just saw this one. The $150 sounds about right-I know it's tough I
cringe every time I have to pay at the vet when I am waiting for them to give
me the bill (I have 5 cats right now). Let's hope he just has a urinary
tract infection that would only require antibiotics. Though, if he is
starting to have kidney problems, it should just be a food switch - usually a
low ash food like K.D. brands, and possibly fluids if he needs them. The low
ash food is a little more expensive than regular food, but not bad. My Nicki
(who is gone now) was unusual in that she also had diabetes. She was
diagnosed with kidney trouble first and was very ill at diagnosis- so she had
iv fluids. But, they can also give animals fluids in a shot under the skin
that is gradually absorbed by the body and that is much less expensive. Be
honest with them about needing to keep the cost within your means--you do
have to live! Most vets will have a couple alternatives in mind. And the
fact that he's eating is a very good sign, he may not need expensive
treatment.

I think the plant tray I got was about $4 to $5 at Wal-mart, but a
tupperware container sounds good too. Unfortunately, my Milo is a big boy and
I needed something pretty wide!

Cindy

Rachel wrote:
>Cindythanks for theother tip. All I had on hand was a tupperware top,
>but I filled it with kitty litter and he has already used it. Thank
>you!
>
>Also, $50 dollars was an under quote above. It's going to be atleast
>$150 before treatment. However, I am selling some things on Ebay to
>help out.
>
>Thanks for your help everyone. He has an appointment for Saturday
>Morning.
>
>Thanks,
>Rachel
>
>> Hi Rachel - First let me say I am new here, but I've been through this with
>> my older cats; I'm sorry he's going through this and understand how upsetting
>[quoted text clipped - 39 lines]
>> >
>> >Please help. Any advice or suggestions will help.

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

Rene S.
June 29th 06, 05:19 PM
Rachel wrote:
> My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
> that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
> litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
> He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
> meow at my husband and I.
>

I wanted to wish you luck with your vet appt. This does sound a lot
like hyperthyroidism, which is easy to treat. You can even have them
compound the meds into a cream that's applied to the inside of the ear.
My Berries (RB, 2006) was diagnosed with this at the age of 18, and
became very lethargic. After going on the medication she became like a
new cat and lived another happy year with us (and died in her sleep).

Rene

Rachel
June 30th 06, 12:24 AM
I pray my sweet boy will die in her sleep just of old age and not in
pain.

Thank you for your reply.

-Rachel
Rene S. wrote:
> Rachel wrote:
> > My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
> > that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
> > litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
> > He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
> > meow at my husband and I.
> >
>
> I wanted to wish you luck with your vet appt. This does sound a lot
> like hyperthyroidism, which is easy to treat. You can even have them
> compound the meds into a cream that's applied to the inside of the ear.
> My Berries (RB, 2006) was diagnosed with this at the age of 18, and
> became very lethargic. After going on the medication she became like a
> new cat and lived another happy year with us (and died in her sleep).
>
> Rene

Rachel
July 1st 06, 05:23 PM
I'm taking my kitty in to the vet in 30 minutes. I'm nervous and
anxious :( I just want him to feel good again.


Rachel wrote:
> I pray my sweet boy will die in her sleep just of old age and not in
> pain.
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> -Rachel
> Rene S. wrote:
> > Rachel wrote:
> > > My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed today
> > > that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
> > > litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of water!
> > > He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
> > > meow at my husband and I.
> > >
> >
> > I wanted to wish you luck with your vet appt. This does sound a lot
> > like hyperthyroidism, which is easy to treat. You can even have them
> > compound the meds into a cream that's applied to the inside of the ear.
> > My Berries (RB, 2006) was diagnosed with this at the age of 18, and
> > became very lethargic. After going on the medication she became like a
> > new cat and lived another happy year with us (and died in her sleep).
> >
> > Rene

Gail
July 1st 06, 06:29 PM
Keep us posted. I am very happy he will be seeing a vet.....
Gail
"Rachel" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm taking my kitty in to the vet in 30 minutes. I'm nervous and
> anxious :( I just want him to feel good again.
>
>
> Rachel wrote:
>> I pray my sweet boy will die in her sleep just of old age and not in
>> pain.
>>
>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> -Rachel
>> Rene S. wrote:
>> > Rachel wrote:
>> > > My 18 year old cat has recently lost a lot of weight. I noticed
>> > > today
>> > > that he hasn't been eating and he has begun to pee just outside his
>> > > litter box. His back legs seem unstable and he drinks a lot of
>> > > water!
>> > > He's become much more lethargic, where he used to stay up all night a
>> > > meow at my husband and I.
>> > >
>> >
>> > I wanted to wish you luck with your vet appt. This does sound a lot
>> > like hyperthyroidism, which is easy to treat. You can even have them
>> > compound the meds into a cream that's applied to the inside of the ear.
>> > My Berries (RB, 2006) was diagnosed with this at the age of 18, and
>> > became very lethargic. After going on the medication she became like a
>> > new cat and lived another happy year with us (and died in her sleep).
>> >
>> > Rene
>

hccatowner via CatKB.com
July 14th 06, 12:24 PM
Hi Rachel - How did you make out? We just ended our fiscal year at work and
I haven't been back on for over a week. What did the blood tests show?

Your story reminds me of my dog Christy--I have to leave the room when they
take blood, she gets so upset. I can stay there with my kid but not my dog!

Hope he's (and you and your husband) doing well - Cindy

Rachel wrote:
>Well my baby went to the vet today. I was such a baby, I kept breaking
>down and crying. I tried to be strong for my boy but failed miserably.
>
>The vet was very kind and once made aware of my financial status kept
>costs as low as possible. You'ld be proud though I insisted on paying
>for the full blood tests. He also received some shots to help his
>arthritis and help him actually pass a bowel movement. When they took
>him in the back to take the blood the entire hospital could hear him
>howling! haha. As soon as we, my husband and I, got him home he ate,
>laid down in his favorite spot and purred. He's been responsive and
>meowing at us as well just to let us know he's there and content.
>
>I'll be getting the blood test results back Monday night. Hopefully,
>the medicine he received will make him comfortable until we can make
>further educated decisions. I'm not getting my hopes up, I realize we
>will probably have to eventually put him down but at least I know I
>will have done all in my power and will be able to make an educated
>decision after the results come back. For now he seems content and
>happy and that's all that matters to me!
>
>Thank you all for your support! I'll let you know what the results
>say.
>
>-Rachel

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com