PDA

View Full Version : diarrhea on the carpet

sjuhawks19
June 28th 06, 04:35 PM
Hi, over the last 2 days our cat has had diarrhea on the carpet and in the litter box. Just yesterday apparently she couldn't make it to the litter box and went right outside of it. Her mood hasn't changed at all, she's still the same, and is eating and drinking as normal. I'm assuming it's just some type of virus but she's pretty young (9 months) and we've never encountered this before. Does it sound like anything to be concerned about?

Thanks.

Gail
June 28th 06, 06:53 PM
She needs to be seen by a vet. Take a stool sample. She may have worms.
Gail
"sjuhawks19" > wrote in message

> Hi, over the last 2 days our cat has had diarrhea on the carpet and in
> the litter box. Just yesterday apparently she couldn't make it to the
> litter box and went right outside of it. Her mood hasn't changed at
> all, she's still the same, and is eating and drinking as normal. I'm
> assuming it's just some type of virus but she's pretty young (9 months)
> and we've never encountered this before. Does it sound like anything to
> be concerned about?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> sjuhawks19

Buddy
June 28th 06, 07:53 PM
Cats get dehydrated very easily. Diarrhea is not normal for a cat.
You need to take her to the vet right away. Have you changed her diet
recently?

Gail wrote:
> She needs to be seen by a vet. Take a stool sample. She may have worms.
> Gail
> "sjuhawks19" > wrote in message
> >
> > Hi, over the last 2 days our cat has had diarrhea on the carpet and in
> > the litter box. Just yesterday apparently she couldn't make it to the
> > litter box and went right outside of it. Her mood hasn't changed at
> > all, she's still the same, and is eating and drinking as normal. I'm
> > assuming it's just some type of virus but she's pretty young (9 months)
> > and we've never encountered this before. Does it sound like anything to
> > be concerned about?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > --
> > sjuhawks19

sjuhawks19
June 29th 06, 04:16 PM

Gail wrote:
She needs to be seen by a vet. Take a stool sample. She may have worms.
Gail
"sjuhawks19" wrote in message

Hi, over the last 2 days our cat has had diarrhea on the carpet and in
the litter box. Just yesterday apparently she couldn't make it to the
litter box and went right outside of it. Her mood hasn't changed at
all, she's still the same, and is eating and drinking as normal. I'm
assuming it's just some type of virus but she's pretty young (9 months)
and we've never encountered this before. Does it sound like anything to
be concerned about?

Thanks.

--
sjuhawks19
She went again overnight on the carpet, so it's been about 3 days, although it was not nearly as much as the previous nights. She is still urinating a normal amount in the litter box, so I doubt that she is dehydrated. She did start recently eating cat grass, maybe that's what it was. She started eating it over the weekend but didn't start getting sick until Monday, so we've gotten rid of that. She also got into a house plant pretty good (the soil) so we've moved that outside. Maybe it was that. She's an indoor cat only, so I don't see how should get worms since she has been dewormed and sees the vet regularly in her checkups. Plus we don't see any worms in her stool.

June 30th 06, 02:25 AM
sjuhawks19 wrote:

> She went again overnight on the carpet, so it's been about 3 days,
> although it was not nearly as much as the previous nights. She is
> still urinating a normal amount in the litter box, so I doubt that she
> is dehydrated.

Actually, that means that is she is peeing AND losing liquid in her
stool. Unless she is drinking more than normal, she IS dehydrated.
Diarrhea is the cause of dehydration. She needs to go the vet right
away. That is also why children are given popcicles and special drinks
when they have diarrhea. They get dehydrated quickly, and that causes
more problems.

They will hydrate her if needed, test for worms. Yes, indoor only cats
will get worms. They get them from fleas, and you can pick up fleas
just walking in from the car. That may not be the cause, but she should
be tested.

It oculd also be a food change, stress, etc. But it needs to be stopped
before she gets too dehyrated. Three days is enough to go to the vet.