PDA

View Full Version : Entering Neighbours House and Hissing

Jamie Watson
June 28th 06, 02:11 PM
I have a neutered male cat who is coming to to 12 months old. Over the
summer he has started going out most of the day. He has been going in one of
my Neighbours houses via her cat flap, which she is fine about. She has two
cats a male (7 years) and a female (not sure how old) and they don't seem to
mind him too much!

The main problem is that he hisses at my neigbour and can be quite
aggressive and he scares her!! He does not do this all when he is with me in
my house. I have taken him over to the neighbours and he is quite bad, he
was even hissing at me a little bit. In fact after him and the male had a
bit of a battle all the hairs on the back of his neck were stood up and he
was pawing me. I don't know what to do with him!!

Can anyone help?

Gail
June 28th 06, 02:32 PM
Keep him inside. He will be safer, healthier, and live longer.
Gail
"Jamie Watson" > wrote in message
>I have a neutered male cat who is coming to to 12 months old. Over the
>summer he has started going out most of the day. He has been going in one
>of my Neighbours houses via her cat flap, which she is fine about. She has
>two cats a male (7 years) and a female (not sure how old) and they don't
>seem to mind him too much!
>
> The main problem is that he hisses at my neigbour and can be quite
> aggressive and he scares her!! He does not do this all when he is with me
> in my house. I have taken him over to the neighbours and he is quite bad,
> he was even hissing at me a little bit. In fact after him and the male had
> a bit of a battle all the hairs on the back of his neck were stood up and
> he was pawing me. I don't know what to do with him!!
>
> Can anyone help?

Jamie Watson
June 28th 06, 04:02 PM
I would but he loves it outside and prefers to be out more than in
especially whilst I am at work all day!

I think he would be miserable been cooped up all day and would probably
scratch my doors down!

"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Keep him inside. He will be safer, healthier, and live longer.
> Gail
> "Jamie Watson" > wrote in message
>>I have a neutered male cat who is coming to to 12 months old. Over the
>>summer he has started going out most of the day. He has been going in one
>>of my Neighbours houses via her cat flap, which she is fine about. She has
>>two cats a male (7 years) and a female (not sure how old) and they don't
>>seem to mind him too much!
>>
>> The main problem is that he hisses at my neigbour and can be quite
>> aggressive and he scares her!! He does not do this all when he is with me
>> in my house. I have taken him over to the neighbours and he is quite bad,
>> he was even hissing at me a little bit. In fact after him and the male
>> had a bit of a battle all the hairs on the back of his neck were stood up
>> and he was pawing me. I don't know what to do with him!!
>>
>> Can anyone help?

Alison
June 28th 06, 04:09 PM
"Jamie Watson" > wrote in message
> I have a neutered male cat who is coming to to 12 months old. Over the
> summer he has started going out most of the day. He has been going in one
of
> my Neighbours houses via her cat flap, which she is fine about. She has
two
> cats a male (7 years) and a female (not sure how old) and they don't seem
> mind him too much!
>
> The main problem is that he hisses at my neigbour and can be quite
> aggressive and he scares her!! He does not do this all when he is with me
in
> my house. I have taken him over to the neighbours and he is quite bad, he
> was even hissing at me a little bit. In fact after him and the male had a
> bit of a battle all the hairs on the back of his neck were stood up and
he
> was pawing me. I don't know what to do with him!!
>
> Can anyone help? >>>

He was probably upset that you took him there instead of going of his own
free will and became defensive.
You rneighbour is too kind, she should stop letting him come in.
It's not fair to her own cats either.
Alison

Kiran
June 28th 06, 06:50 PM

:
: The main problem is that he hisses at my neigbour and can be quite
: aggressive and he scares her!! He does not do this all when he is with me in
: my house. I have taken him over to the neighbours and he is quite bad, he
: was even hissing at me a little bit. In fact after him and the male had a
: bit of a battle all the hairs on the back of his neck were stood up and he
: was pawing me. I don't know what to do with him!!
:
: Can anyone help?

Your neighbor could always stop letting him in, but first why not try a
little bribing with a treat or two and see if this softens him up a
little?

Or the classic "introduction" techniques you would have if they were
living in the same home. Borrow a few pieces of clothes, towels from
your neighbor that have their (people as well as cats) smells and leave
them lying around for your cat to get used to them?

Your neighbor could also come into your home at his feeding time and
put his food out for him.

Just a few ideas to try before you give up.

Niel Humphreys
June 28th 06, 07:41 PM
"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> "Jamie Watson" > wrote in message
>>I have a neutered male cat who is coming to to 12 months old. Over the
>>summer he has started going out most of the day. He has been going in one
>>of my Neighbours houses via her cat flap, which she is fine about. She has
>>two cats a male (7 years) and a female (not sure how old) and they don't
>>seem to mind him too much!
>>
>> The main problem is that he hisses at my neigbour and can be quite
>> aggressive and he scares her!! He does not do this all when he is with me
>> in my house. I have taken him over to the neighbours and he is quite bad,
>> he was even hissing at me a little bit. In fact after him and the male
>> had a bit of a battle all the hairs on the back of his neck were stood up
>> and he was pawing me. I don't know what to do with him!!
>>
>> Can anyone help?
> Keep him inside. He will be safer, healthier, and live longer.
> Gail

Jamie

You should mention you're in the UK. :) While here in Blighty it's far more
common and acceptable for our cats to roam free, it is not so in the USA.
Given that many Americans seem to think the UK is just another US State they
will then have a go at us for allowing our cats out.

For some reason US cats don't seem to be able to learn road-sense for
starters. :)

--

Niel H

Gail
June 28th 06, 07:56 PM
I meant no disrespect to the UK. I love your country and the people. Yes, in
the US, people are encouraged to keep their cats indoors. I have had 4 cats
that went outside and all were killed (car) or disappeared and were not
found. I was broken hearted about all 4. I have also had indoor cats and all
lived to be ripe old ages.
(By the way, I live in the country and on a dead end road where you'd think
it was safer.....)
Gail
"Niel Humphreys" > wrote in
message ...
> "Gail" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> "Jamie Watson" > wrote in message
>>>I have a neutered male cat who is coming to to 12 months old. Over the
>>>summer he has started going out most of the day. He has been going in one
>>>of my Neighbours houses via her cat flap, which she is fine about. She
>>>has two cats a male (7 years) and a female (not sure how old) and they
>>>don't seem to mind him too much!
>>>
>>> The main problem is that he hisses at my neigbour and can be quite
>>> aggressive and he scares her!! He does not do this all when he is with
>>> me in my house. I have taken him over to the neighbours and he is quite
>>> bad, he was even hissing at me a little bit. In fact after him and the
>>> male had a bit of a battle all the hairs on the back of his neck were
>>> stood up and he was pawing me. I don't know what to do with him!!
>>>
>>> Can anyone help?
>> Keep him inside. He will be safer, healthier, and live longer.
>> Gail
>
> Jamie
>
> You should mention you're in the UK. :) While here in Blighty it's far
> more common and acceptable for our cats to roam free, it is not so in the
> USA. Given that many Americans seem to think the UK is just another US
> State they will then have a go at us for allowing our cats out.
>
> For some reason US cats don't seem to be able to learn road-sense for
> starters. :)
>
> --
>
> Niel H

Test
June 28th 06, 10:26 PM
Cheers guys that is great advise. He doesn't really mind me taking him
places, I sometimes take him upto my Mum and Dads and he loves it up there!!

Is only in this particular house, in fact he has been going in another
neibours house and he is fine with them and there cat. I think that cat is a
female. So it must just be my neibour with the male cat!! Its almost like my
cat thinks its his house as is was him chacing the neibours cat when it
bolted out of its own house!! Maybe my cats just a bully???

Mr Jinks seems to have great road sense and obsoluly loves been out and
about and it stops him from getting a little fatty :)

So I guess I should tell me neighbour to either spray water at him and get
him out of the house and or buy a magnatic cap flap..?

Or maybe give me some bits of pieces from her house and maybe come round at
feeding time??? and see if we can get them to be all friends?

"Jamie Watson" > wrote in message
>I have a neutered male cat who is coming to to 12 months old. Over the
>summer he has started going out most of the day. He has been going in one
>of my Neighbours houses via her cat flap, which she is fine about. She has
>two cats a male (7 years) and a female (not sure how old) and they don't
>seem to mind him too much!
>
> The main problem is that he hisses at my neigbour and can be quite
> aggressive and he scares her!! He does not do this all when he is with me
> in my house. I have taken him over to the neighbours and he is quite bad,
> he was even hissing at me a little bit. In fact after him and the male had
> a bit of a battle all the hairs on the back of his neck were stood up and
> he was pawing me. I don't know what to do with him!!
>
> Can anyone help?

June 28th 06, 11:39 PM
Gail wrote:
> I meant no disrespect to the UK. I love your country and the people. Yes, in
> the US, people are encouraged to keep their cats indoors. I have had 4 cats
> that went outside and all were killed (car) or disappeared and were not
> found. I was broken hearted about all 4. I have also had indoor cats and all
> lived to be ripe old ages.
> (By the way, I live in the country and on a dead end road where you'd think
> it was safer.....)
> Gail

US might be more dangerous. More cars, going faster on wider roads,
some bordered by unclimable fences or walls that can trap animals in
the roadway.

Houses may not have fences round the gardens or climable trees cats can
use as places of safety.

In the country, predators such as racoons, coyotes, and dogs.

There are lots of country roads where its not safe for people to walk
either because there is no sidewalk or shoulder.

The UK has very different topography. Even highways are narrower and
cats can cross them if they have roadsense. Fences, trees,
garden-sheds, accessible roofs all provide a landscape with safe places
for cats. And no racoons.

cybercat
June 29th 06, 04:03 AM
"Jamie Watson" > wrote in message
>I have a neutered male cat who is coming to to 12 months old. Over the
>summer he has started going out most of the day. He has been going in one
>of my Neighbours houses via her cat flap, which she is fine about. She has
>two cats a male (7 years) and a female (not sure how old) and they don't
>seem to mind him too much!
>
> The main problem is that he hisses at my neigbour and can be quite
> aggressive and he scares her!! He does not do this all when he is with me
> in my house. I have taken him over to the neighbours and he is quite bad,
> he was even hissing at me a little bit. In fact after him and the male had
> a bit of a battle all the hairs on the back of his neck were stood up and
> he was pawing me. I don't know what to do with him!!
>
> Can anyone help?

Keep him in the house.

Ryan Robbins
June 29th 06, 04:20 AM
"Jamie Watson" > wrote in message
>I have a neutered male cat who is coming to to 12 months old. Over the
>summer he has started going out most of the day. He has been going in one
>of my Neighbours houses via her cat flap, which she is fine about. She has
>two cats a male (7 years) and a female (not sure how old) and they don't
>seem to mind him too much!
>
> The main problem is that he hisses at my neigbour and can be quite
> aggressive and he scares her!! He does not do this all when he is with me
> in my house. I have taken him over to the neighbours and he is quite bad,
> he was even hissing at me a little bit. In fact after him and the male had
> a bit of a battle all the hairs on the back of his neck were stood up and
> he was pawing me. I don't know what to do with him!!
>
> Can anyone help?

Don't let him out.

Ryan Robbins
June 29th 06, 04:21 AM
"Jamie Watson" > wrote in message
>I would but he loves it outside and prefers to be out more than in
>especially whilst I am at work all day!

Take him outdoors on a harness and leash.

> I think he would be miserable been cooped up all day and would probably
> scratch my doors down!

I doubt it.

Val
June 29th 06, 07:09 PM
Greetings, UK cat lovers!

Reading descriptions of what it's like from a cat's point of view makes
me wish I could move me and my 10 furry purries over there RIGHT NOW!!!

I live in Los Angeles, in the San Fernando Valley, which is a very hot
and unfriendly place for animals, esp. cats. I would never dare allow
my cats to go outside. There was a time, in the 80's, when I did allow
my two cats to roam around my apt. complex, but it was enclosed and
they could not get out to the eight-lanes-wide boulevard the complex
was situated on, where cars move along at speeds of 50 miles per hour
and upwards. And people will aim for a cat if they happen to see it
in the roadway. That frame of mind is very unfortunately prevalent
here. It sickens me, which is part of why I still live here: I just
want to help kitties. I work for the city and make good money and I
can afford to help. I live on the same street as I did in the 80's, but
in a different apartment complex a half block down...I don't have
access to an enclosed courtyard any more, but even if I did, I would
not let my cats out in it...it is so overwhelmed with people and cars,
so much more than in the 80's...this city is literally overwhelmed with
illegal immigrants to the tune of about 10 million extra (totally
unwelcome) people, and the city is literally flooded with people,
people, cars, cars, cars, everywhere, and it is just no place for
animals. On top of all that, there is a macho attitude among these
immigrants to the point where many of them won't neuter their male
animals because they think it's not MACHO!!! I don't even want any
arguments from anyone about whether or not this is true, because it IS.
I've heard it from the horse's mouth, so to speak, many times over the
years, and they will not budge from that attitude. I have kidnapped
and had their male cats fixed without their knowledge many times. I've
kidnapped females and done the same thing. I've found loving forever
inside only homes for all their kittens. After a while I just set up
my own rescue organization. My mother said, "You're every kitty's
fairy godmother! " so I named it Kitty Godmother Rescues. I have had
wonderful luck finding fantastic homes for all ages and sizes of
kitties. I sometimes recue from the shelters. I currently have a
13-year-old black cat that I sold my CD collection to rescue. She can
stay with me as long as she needs to, as crowded as my tiny apartment
is. I also have three 4-week-old kittens that I am bottle feeding. I
know I won't have any trouble finding homes for them.

Still, a part of me wishes for wide open spaces with lots of green and
fun places for kitties to explore in relative safety to their heart's
content.

I envy you!

Valerie

June 29th 06, 07:36 PM
Ryan Robbins wrote:
> "Jamie Watson" > wrote in message
> >I would but he loves it outside and prefers to be out more than in
> >especially whilst I am at work all day!
>
> Take him outdoors on a harness and leash.
>
> > I think he would be miserable been cooped up all day and would probably
> > scratch my doors down!
>
> I doubt it.

Whats to doubt? A cat thats been used to wandering around isnt thrilled
to be indoors. It might be necessary but its not fun.

Even my allways-indoor-never-outdoor cat would get out if it had an
opportunity. One week we let it into the garage while we were working
there and there were no cars in it. That was 3 years ago. Now its not
allowed into the garage, its too dangerous. But it lurks by the door
and tries anyway and once in a while it gets out there. We keep the cat
in because it has no roadsense and anyway its too dangerous out and it
doesnt get fleas and it doesnt get exposed to other cats with diseases
and those kinds of reasons. It is happy enough because it is a people
cat and it doesnt know any other life.

But its not the best option. For a cat that has been out for years I
think it would seriously affect its quality of life. It cant hunt. It
cant prowl.

After this cat I would not get another indoor cat.

Anyway, how do you keep a cat indoors except where you always use
heating and air-conditioning? If windows are open the cat will get out.