PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Advantix?

RobZip
June 28th 06, 09:19 PM
I'm considering a switch to Advantix after long time satisfied Frontline
use. The primary point of interest for me is the claim of repelling fleas.
Do any of you have experience you could share regarding effectiveness in
that area?

Matthew
June 28th 06, 09:25 PM
Always has worked for me safe on kittens I live in Florida where cats
spend time on a Florida room. NO FLEAS last a long time never had any
reactions to it except when you try and catch them to put it on.( Typical
cats)

"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
> I'm considering a switch to Advantix after long time satisfied Frontline
> use. The primary point of interest for me is the claim of repelling fleas.
> Do any of you have experience you could share regarding effectiveness in
> that area?

Matthew
June 28th 06, 09:32 PM
Sorry did you mean advantage
or Advantix which I though was for dogs only and not to be used on CATS

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Always has worked for me safe on kittens I live in Florida where cats
> spend time on a Florida room. NO FLEAS last a long time never had any
> reactions to it except when you try and catch them to put it on.( Typical
> cats)
>

> "RobZip" <no > wrote in message
>> I'm considering a switch to Advantix after long time satisfied Frontline
>> use. The primary point of interest for me is the claim of repelling
>> fleas. Do any of you have experience you could share regarding
>> effectiveness in that area?

MaryL
June 28th 06, 10:33 PM
Matthew, this is puzzling. There has been a thread on rpca for the last few
days (called "Flea treatment question"). You posted several messages and
indicated that you would *not* use Frontline due to allergic reactions from
a number of shelter cats. In one message, you talked about several kittens
that had respiratory distress and said, "I will never use Frontline again
even my vet won't use it."

What is going on here? Why are your messages to two groups saying exactly
the opposite?

MaryL

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Always has worked for me safe on kittens I live in Florida where cats
> spend time on a Florida room. NO FLEAS last a long time never had any
> reactions to it except when you try and catch them to put it on.( Typical
> cats)
>

> "RobZip" <no > wrote in message
>> I'm considering a switch to Advantix after long time satisfied Frontline
>> use. The primary point of interest for me is the claim of repelling
>> fleas. Do any of you have experience you could share regarding
>> effectiveness in that area?

Matthew
June 28th 06, 10:39 PM
What are you talking about last time I looked Frontline and Advantage are 2
different products and in both post on both groups I say I use advantage
and IMO not to use frontline
I corrected the error in my second reply post I thought he meant advantage
and just had misspelled it that is why I corrected my thread

The other part it was cats not kittens they ranged from a over a year to 6
years of age

Sorry for any misconceptions

news:[email protected]
> Matthew, this is puzzling. There has been a thread on rpca for the last
> few days (called "Flea treatment question"). You posted several messages
> and indicated that you would *not* use Frontline due to allergic reactions
> from a number of shelter cats. In one message, you talked about several
> kittens that had respiratory distress and said, "I will never use
> Frontline again even my vet won't use it."
>
> What is going on here? Why are your messages to two groups saying exactly
> the opposite?
>
> MaryL
>
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> Always has worked for me safe on kittens I live in Florida where
>> cats spend time on a Florida room. NO FLEAS last a long time never had
>> any reactions to it except when you try and catch them to put it on.(
>> Typical cats)
>>

>> "RobZip" <no > wrote in message
>>> I'm considering a switch to Advantix after long time satisfied Frontline
>>> use. The primary point of interest for me is the claim of repelling
>>> fleas. Do any of you have experience you could share regarding
>>> effectiveness in that area?

MaryL
June 28th 06, 10:53 PM
You're right, and I apologize. I misinterpreted your message in this
thread. When you said, "always worked for me," I interpreted that as a
reference to Frontline. Obviously, it was not -- you were talking about
Advantage.

I would like to reinforce your message about Advantix being for dogs and not
for cats. Hopefully, the OP really means Advantage, as you said.

MaryL

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> What are you talking about last time I looked Frontline and Advantage are
> 2 different products and in both post on both groups I say I use
> advantage and IMO not to use frontline
> I corrected the error in my second reply post I thought he meant advantage
> and just had misspelled it that is why I corrected my thread
>
> The other part it was cats not kittens they ranged from a over a year to
> 6 years of age
>
> Sorry for any misconceptions
>
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Matthew, this is puzzling. There has been a thread on rpca for the last
>> few days (called "Flea treatment question"). You posted several messages
>> and indicated that you would *not* use Frontline due to allergic
>> reactions from a number of shelter cats. In one message, you talked
>> about several kittens that had respiratory distress and said, "I will
>> never use Frontline again even my vet won't use it."
>>
>> What is going on here? Why are your messages to two groups saying
>> exactly the opposite?
>>
>> MaryL
>>
>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>>> Always has worked for me safe on kittens I live in Florida where
>>> cats spend time on a Florida room. NO FLEAS last a long time never
>>> had any reactions to it except when you try and catch them to put it
>>> on.( Typical cats)

Matthew
June 28th 06, 10:59 PM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>

Thank you once again about the links and email. I take Rumble in tomorrow
to learn how to do everything and start his treatment. I am nervous about
it

MaryL
June 28th 06, 11:10 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
>
> Thank you once again about the links and email. I take Rumble in tomorrow
> to learn how to do everything and start his treatment. I am nervous about
> it

I understand being nervous about it, but I want to reiterate what I
said...that is, diabetes is a serious disease, but it can be treated. Many
people have cats that have lived long, healthy lives once they get proper
diet and treatment. In fact, cats often return to normal BG levels simply
by a change in diet. It sounds frightening to give a cat insulin, but
friends who have done it tell me that it is actually a pretty simple
process. Be sure to ask your vet about monitoring Rumble's BG at home. It
is important to know his blood glucose levels to keep the amount of insulin
at the correct dosage.

MaryL

RobZip
June 28th 06, 11:28 PM
news:[email protected]
> You're right, and I apologize. I misinterpreted your message in this
> thread. When you said, "always worked for me," I interpreted that as a
> reference to Frontline. Obviously, it was not -- you were talking about
> Advantage.
>
> I would like to reinforce your message about Advantix being for dogs and
> not for cats. Hopefully, the OP really means Advantage, as you said.
>
> MaryL

Allow me to clarify.. I was referring to Advantix, having been given some
information that there was a feline product available. I find this is
incorrect.

With that being said, how does the effectiveness of Advantage rate? I see no
claims of repellant properties on the maufacturers website,
http://www.nofleas.com/ ,
so am presuming there really aren't any.

I also must ask if there is anything in the formulation of Advantix that
makes it unique to dog usage only. With Frontline the only difference
between vat and dog formulation is the amount of methoprene. The dog formula
contains 2% less. Since the methoprene kills live eggs in the fur, a cat
that has been maintained fairly well should have no problems getting
adequate protection from a slightly smaller amount of methoprene. I'm not
one to experiment with my animals' health, so what is the best route to
take?

For economics, consider the following. A local pet center sells the same
formulation of Frontline as my vet. The cat variety consists of 3 - 1ml
ampules for $39.95. The variety for dogs 89-132 lb consists of 3 - 4ml
ampules for $53. The treatment can be drawn off in a 1ml syringe and applied
with much better control than the plastic ampule. The net result would be 12
applications for the price of 4. Coinsidering that all ingredients are the
same and in the same proportions with the exception of the methoprene, is
there any risk in using the dog formulation on a cat?

Local vets who I suspect to be more worried about sales than liability,
stumble and sputter over the question like flatulent Alzheimers patients
without giving a straight answer.

Gail Futoran
June 29th 06, 02:11 AM
"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
[snip]
> Allow me to clarify.. I was referring to Advantix, having been given some
> information that there was a feline product available. I find this is
> incorrect.
>
> With that being said, how does the effectiveness of Advantage rate? I see
> no claims of repellant properties on the maufacturers website,
> http://www.nofleas.com/ ,
> so am presuming there really aren't any.
>
> I also must ask if there is anything in the formulation of Advantix that
> makes it unique to dog usage only. With Frontline the only difference
> between vat and dog formulation is the amount of methoprene. The dog
> formula contains 2% less. Since the methoprene kills live eggs in the fur,
> a cat that has been maintained fairly well should have no problems getting
> adequate protection from a slightly smaller amount of methoprene. I'm not
> one to experiment with my animals' health, so what is the best route to
> take?
>
> For economics, consider the following. A local pet center sells the same
> formulation of Frontline as my vet. The cat variety consists of 3 - 1ml
> ampules for $39.95. The variety for dogs 89-132 lb consists of 3 - 4ml
> ampules for $53. The treatment can be drawn off in a 1ml syringe and
> applied with much better control than the plastic ampule. The net result
> would be 12 applications for the price of 4. Coinsidering that all
> ingredients are the same and in the same proportions with the exception of
> the methoprene, is there any risk in using the dog formulation on a cat?
>
> Local vets who I suspect to be more worried about sales than liability,
> stumble and sputter over the question like flatulent Alzheimers patients
> without giving a straight answer.

One of the main ingredients in Advantix, permethrin,
is toxic to cats. You can google permethrin and cats
and get that information. Here are some links I found:
http://www.cathelp-online.com/emergency/permethrin.php
http://www.vetprof.com/clientinfo/permethrincats.html

I use Revolution on my cats. It's expensive, can only
be gotten from a vet, but it works.

Gail F.
Butler to Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

Cheryl
June 29th 06, 04:16 AM
On Wed 28 Jun 2006 06:28:09p, RobZip wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

> With that being said, how does the effectiveness of Advantage
> rate? I see no claims of repellant properties on the
> maufacturers website, http://www.nofleas.com/ ,
> so am presuming there really aren't any.

The only medication I've heard of that doesn't repell fleas before
they bite is Program. Program is unique in that it prevents the
reproductive cycle of fleas, but has no effect if the animal has an
allergy to flea bites. All other pesticides that are safe for pets
are supposed to repell them, too. I might be wrong because I don't
have outdoor cats, and only have had to use flea treatment when
trying to eliminate fleas as an allergen. However, I was told that
the only treatment that isn't designed to keep fleas from biting is
Program.

--
Cheryl

Phil P.
June 29th 06, 10:58 AM
"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
> I'm considering a switch to Advantix

Don't ever, *ever* use Advantix on cats. Advantix contains permethrin which
is toxic to cats.

Phil