PDA

View Full Version : lethargic kitty followup

Joseph O'Brien
June 29th 06, 12:16 AM
Hello.

A few days ago, I posted about my 3 year old cat who had been quite
lethargic for a week or two. The vet found that he had a fever and a
high white-cell count. Since all other blood and fecal tests turned
out OK, the vet thought he most likely was fighting an abscess. The
vet gave him a shot of antibiotics, another shot to prevent an allergic
reaction, and put him on 3 mL of amoxicillian a day.

It's been about 5 days, and I don't think my cat is doing any better.
He still lays on his side almost all day. He won't jump. He is still
licking his lips, so I assume he still has a fever. However, he is
alert and seems interested in playing. He has an appetite, drinks
plenty of water, and urinates and defecates regularly (stools are
normal).

I have a call in to my vet, but again, I'm asking for your input as to
what might be wrong. What tests should I expect him to do? I really
trust and respect my vet, but I hate going in unprepared.

Thanks,
Joseph

P.S. I've had a handful of friends and relatives die of cancer this
year, so I immediately associate "high white-cell count" with that
disease. Should I expect the same in my cat? He's such a sweet cat --
I would hate to lose him so early.

Gail
June 29th 06, 12:26 AM
I would have him see another vet.
Gail
"Joseph O'Brien" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello.
>
> A few days ago, I posted about my 3 year old cat who had been quite
> lethargic for a week or two. The vet found that he had a fever and a
> high white-cell count. Since all other blood and fecal tests turned
> out OK, the vet thought he most likely was fighting an abscess. The
> vet gave him a shot of antibiotics, another shot to prevent an allergic
> reaction, and put him on 3 mL of amoxicillian a day.
>
> It's been about 5 days, and I don't think my cat is doing any better.
> He still lays on his side almost all day. He won't jump. He is still
> licking his lips, so I assume he still has a fever. However, he is
> alert and seems interested in playing. He has an appetite, drinks
> plenty of water, and urinates and defecates regularly (stools are
> normal).
>
> I have a call in to my vet, but again, I'm asking for your input as to
> what might be wrong. What tests should I expect him to do? I really
> trust and respect my vet, but I hate going in unprepared.
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph
>
> P.S. I've had a handful of friends and relatives die of cancer this
> year, so I immediately associate "high white-cell count" with that
> disease. Should I expect the same in my cat? He's such a sweet cat --
> I would hate to lose him so early.

Gail
June 29th 06, 12:27 AM
Was he tested for feline leukemia and FIP??
Gail
"Joseph O'Brien" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello.
>
> A few days ago, I posted about my 3 year old cat who had been quite
> lethargic for a week or two. The vet found that he had a fever and a
> high white-cell count. Since all other blood and fecal tests turned
> out OK, the vet thought he most likely was fighting an abscess. The
> vet gave him a shot of antibiotics, another shot to prevent an allergic
> reaction, and put him on 3 mL of amoxicillian a day.
>
> It's been about 5 days, and I don't think my cat is doing any better.
> He still lays on his side almost all day. He won't jump. He is still
> licking his lips, so I assume he still has a fever. However, he is
> alert and seems interested in playing. He has an appetite, drinks
> plenty of water, and urinates and defecates regularly (stools are
> normal).
>
> I have a call in to my vet, but again, I'm asking for your input as to
> what might be wrong. What tests should I expect him to do? I really
> trust and respect my vet, but I hate going in unprepared.
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph
>
> P.S. I've had a handful of friends and relatives die of cancer this
> year, so I immediately associate "high white-cell count" with that
> disease. Should I expect the same in my cat? He's such a sweet cat --
> I would hate to lose him so early.

Buddy
June 29th 06, 01:36 AM
How about testing for hyperthyroid and kidney or liver failure?

Gail wrote:
> Was he tested for feline leukemia and FIP??
> Gail
> "Joseph O'Brien" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Hello.
> >
> > A few days ago, I posted about my 3 year old cat who had been quite
> > lethargic for a week or two. The vet found that he had a fever and a
> > high white-cell count. Since all other blood and fecal tests turned
> > out OK, the vet thought he most likely was fighting an abscess. The
> > vet gave him a shot of antibiotics, another shot to prevent an allergic
> > reaction, and put him on 3 mL of amoxicillian a day.
> >
> > It's been about 5 days, and I don't think my cat is doing any better.
> > He still lays on his side almost all day. He won't jump. He is still
> > licking his lips, so I assume he still has a fever. However, he is
> > alert and seems interested in playing. He has an appetite, drinks
> > plenty of water, and urinates and defecates regularly (stools are
> > normal).
> >
> > I have a call in to my vet, but again, I'm asking for your input as to
> > what might be wrong. What tests should I expect him to do? I really
> > trust and respect my vet, but I hate going in unprepared.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Joseph
> >
> > P.S. I've had a handful of friends and relatives die of cancer this
> > year, so I immediately associate "high white-cell count" with that
> > disease. Should I expect the same in my cat? He's such a sweet cat --
> > I would hate to lose him so early.

Joseph O'Brien
June 29th 06, 01:57 AM
Thank you for your reply. I will ask my vet about all three of these.
I would expect kidney or liver failure to show up in the blood tests,
so I'm not too worried about those, but not so sure about hyperthyroid.

joseph

Buddy wrote:
> How about testing for hyperthyroid and kidney or liver failure?
>

> Gail wrote:
> > Was he tested for feline leukemia and FIP??
> > Gail
> > "Joseph O'Brien" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > A few days ago, I posted about my 3 year old cat who had been quite
> > > lethargic for a week or two. The vet found that he had a fever and a
> > > high white-cell count. Since all other blood and fecal tests turned
> > > out OK, the vet thought he most likely was fighting an abscess. The
> > > vet gave him a shot of antibiotics, another shot to prevent an allergic
> > > reaction, and put him on 3 mL of amoxicillian a day.
> > >
> > > It's been about 5 days, and I don't think my cat is doing any better.
> > > He still lays on his side almost all day. He won't jump. He is still
> > > licking his lips, so I assume he still has a fever. However, he is
> > > alert and seems interested in playing. He has an appetite, drinks
> > > plenty of water, and urinates and defecates regularly (stools are
> > > normal).
> > >
> > > I have a call in to my vet, but again, I'm asking for your input as to
> > > what might be wrong. What tests should I expect him to do? I really
> > > trust and respect my vet, but I hate going in unprepared.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Joseph
> > >
> > > P.S. I've had a handful of friends and relatives die of cancer this
> > > year, so I immediately associate "high white-cell count" with that
> > > disease. Should I expect the same in my cat? He's such a sweet cat --
> > > I would hate to lose him so early.

22brix
June 29th 06, 03:22 AM
"Joseph O'Brien" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello.
>
> A few days ago, I posted about my 3 year old cat who had been quite
> lethargic for a week or two. The vet found that he had a fever and a
> high white-cell count. Since all other blood and fecal tests turned
> out OK, the vet thought he most likely was fighting an abscess. The
> vet gave him a shot of antibiotics, another shot to prevent an allergic
> reaction, and put him on 3 mL of amoxicillian a day.
>
> It's been about 5 days, and I don't think my cat is doing any better.
> He still lays on his side almost all day. He won't jump. He is still
> licking his lips, so I assume he still has a fever. However, he is
> alert and seems interested in playing. He has an appetite, drinks
> plenty of water, and urinates and defecates regularly (stools are
> normal).
>
> I have a call in to my vet, but again, I'm asking for your input as to
> what might be wrong. What tests should I expect him to do? I really
> trust and respect my vet, but I hate going in unprepared.
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph
>
> P.S. I've had a handful of friends and relatives die of cancer this
> year, so I immediately associate "high white-cell count" with that
> disease. Should I expect the same in my cat? He's such a sweet cat --
> I would hate to lose him so early.

Joseph,

A high white count doesn't necessarily mean cancer. A bacterial infection
typically causes a high white cell count and fever. Did they do a
differential on the white blood count (Did they specify which type of white
cell was elevated.)? Neutrophils will usually be elevated in an infection.
It may be that the antibiotic is not effective against that infection and
that he just needs a change in antibiotic. Some infections can be very
deep-seated and some antibiotics are better for such infections. One of my
cats went through a stage where he'd become less active, wouldn't jump (this
is a very athletic cat). This happened several times and we never did find
the source of the infection. The symptoms you're describing sound a lot
like Gollum when he was sick. We went through several bouts of this. My
vet changed his prescription ( Zeniquin ) and he hasn't had an episode
since, two years later.

Also, with a lethargic cat I wouldn't immediately think of
hyperthyroid--I've had two cats that were/are hyperthyroid and they became
more active, more vocal, more hyper. Just my experience.

Hang in there and don't give up yet!

Good luck, Bonnie

Rene S.
June 29th 06, 05:23 PM
Joseph O'Brien wrote:
> I'm fairly pleased with my vet, so unless there is a specific reason to
> take my cat to another, I'll probably stick with him. But thank you
> for the suggestion; I will keep this in mind.
>
> My cat is up-to-date on his shots, so I don't know that it's leukemia,
> but I'll definitely ask the vet about FIP.
>
> Thank you,
> Joseph
>
> Gail wrote:
> > I would have him see another vet.
> > Gail

Joseph,
Please keep Gail's suggestion in mind. It's a good one. Having been
through several ailments with my Tucker, I've learned that vets are
human--they can make mistakes or overlook things. It never hurts to get
a second opinion, even if you intend to stay with this vet. At the very
least, I'd suggest that you ask a lot of questions and do research
online. Don't be afraid to bring printouts to your appointment (from
reputable sources, of course) and ask your vet to read and/or consider
the treatment. Your cat can't speak for himself, so it's up to you to
ask the right questions.

Rene

June 30th 06, 01:51 AM
Rene S. wrote:

> Please keep Gail's suggestion in mind. It's a good one. Having been
> through several ailments with my Tucker, I've learned that vets are
> human--they can make mistakes or overlook things. It never hurts to get
> a second opinion, even if you intend to stay with this vet. At the very
> least, I'd suggest that you ask a lot of questions and do research
> online. Don't be afraid to bring printouts to your appointment (from
> reputable sources, of course) and ask your vet to read and/or consider
> the treatment. Your cat can't speak for himself, so it's up to you to
> ask the right questions.

I would also add that vets have a really tough job. Cats can't say how
they feel or what hurts. So, it is up to the vet to listen to you and
go with what they know of the typical cat. My vet often asks if a
aperticular reaction is normal or not. (Does she normally behave
quietly at the vet's office or is this lethargic for her?)

So, a different vet with different personal experiences might consider
different options.

I assume you had bloodwork since you mentioned the white blood cell
count. Did you get a printed copy of that report? If not, ask for it.

I have found that different labs give different values for standard
ranges, and you might want to look into any abnormal numbers or take it
to a different vet if you do go to one.

I recently had Kira's bloodwork done. The vet said she was fine, even
though a few numbers are out of the normal range, just barely out,
except one. But the only number noticeably out of the range was well
within the range given on a report for Maynard by a different vet. So,
a vet looking at the results will interpret the results. Mine didn't
see anything wrong with that number being out of the range. I will
accept that since she is doing fine, but I will keep track of those
particular numbers moreso than others. And now that she is older, I
will do bloodwork more often for her.

Elle
June 30th 06, 10:08 AM
Joseph O'Brien wrote:
> Hello.
>
> A few days ago, I posted about my 3 year old cat who had been quite
> lethargic for a week or two. The vet found that he had a fever and a
> high white-cell count. Since all other blood and fecal tests turned
> out OK, the vet thought he most likely was fighting an abscess. The
> vet gave him a shot of antibiotics, another shot to prevent an allergic
> reaction, and put him on 3 mL of amoxicillian a day.
>
> It's been about 5 days, and I don't think my cat is doing any better.
> He still lays on his side almost all day. He won't jump. He is still
> licking his lips, so I assume he still has a fever. However, he is
> alert and seems interested in playing. He has an appetite, drinks
> plenty of water, and urinates and defecates regularly (stools are
> normal).
>
> I have a call in to my vet, but again, I'm asking for your input as to
> what might be wrong. What tests should I expect him to do? I really
> trust and respect my vet, but I hate going in unprepared.
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph
>
> P.S. I've had a handful of friends and relatives die of cancer this
> year, so I immediately associate "high white-cell count" with that
> disease. Should I expect the same in my cat? He's such a sweet cat --
> I would hate to lose him so early.

Hi, Joseph!

Laboratory screening for cats normally covers chemistry tests for renal
and liver function, plus a haematology screen for anaemia, leukaemia
etc.
Chemistry tests would include: ALB; ALKP; ALT; AMYL; UREA; CA; CHOL;
CREA; GLU; PHOS; TBIL; TP; GLOB; and the haematology tests would cover
HGB; HCT; MCHC; WCC plus differential count; PLT; and RETICS
If you have the lab. printout of your cat's results, you should be
able to see if there is any problem.

Regards, Elle

Elle
June 30th 06, 10:10 AM