PDA

View Full Version : help needed for problem pottying behavior

June 29th 06, 07:14 PM
My daughter's two-year old neutered male cat has defecated on her bed
two of the past three days. She is trying to pinpoint the cause of this
behavior. The cat is very hungry for attention and she is gone several
hours each day. She was gone a long time the two days he did this.
Plus, her boyfriend, who is not fond of cats, was over on the two days
he misbehaved.

She is wondering if it would help him if she got another kitten to keep
him company, so he wouldn't be lonely when she's gone. However, she's
concerned that this might just make him more jealous.

Any advice or experience you could share would be helpful.

Thank you, Wendy

Gail
June 29th 06, 07:18 PM
She should bring him to the vet to rule out medical problems. Urinating and
defecating in inappropriate places are often symptoms of a physical problem.
She should also provide two litter boxes for the one cat. She should not get
another cat until the problem is resolved.
Gail
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My daughter's two-year old neutered male cat has defecated on her bed
> two of the past three days. She is trying to pinpoint the cause of this
> behavior. The cat is very hungry for attention and she is gone several
> hours each day. She was gone a long time the two days he did this.
> Plus, her boyfriend, who is not fond of cats, was over on the two days
> he misbehaved.
>
> She is wondering if it would help him if she got another kitten to keep
> him company, so he wouldn't be lonely when she's gone. However, she's
> concerned that this might just make him more jealous.
>
> Any advice or experience you could share would be helpful.
>
> Thank you, Wendy

Magic Mood JeepŠ
June 29th 06, 08:18 PM
She should also find a different boyfriend, one who is fond of cats. There
have been reported instances of a boyfriend who, when not in the presence of
the girl, would mistreat the cat, to the point of injury and the cat needing
medical attention.

Gail wrote:
> She should bring him to the vet to rule out medical problems.
> Urinating and defecating in inappropriate places are often symptoms
> of a physical problem. She should also provide two litter boxes for
> the one cat. She should not get another cat until the problem is
> resolved. Gail
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> My daughter's two-year old neutered male cat has defecated on her bed
>> two of the past three days. She is trying to pinpoint the cause of
>> this behavior. The cat is very hungry for attention and she is gone
>> several hours each day. She was gone a long time the two days he did
>> this. Plus, her boyfriend, who is not fond of cats, was over on the two
>> days he misbehaved.
>>
>> She is wondering if it would help him if she got another kitten to
>> keep him company, so he wouldn't be lonely when she's gone. However,
>> she's concerned that this might just make him more jealous.
>>
>> Any advice or experience you could share would be helpful.
>>
>> Thank you, Wendy

June 30th 06, 01:42 AM
wrote:
> My daughter's two-year old neutered male cat has defecated on her bed
> two of the past three days. She is trying to pinpoint the cause of this
> behavior. The cat is very hungry for attention and she is gone several
> hours each day. She was gone a long time the two days he did this.
> Plus, her boyfriend, who is not fond of cats, was over on the two days
> he misbehaved.

First thing I would do is get a vinyl table cloth and cover the bed,
fuzzy side up. Then, and mistakes will not require lots of bedding to
be washed.

Then ditch the boyfriend. Why date somebody who hates your cat. It
obviously won't work in the long run, so why waste the time on it and
stress the cat?

Chances are, that will eliminate the problem.

It could be separation anxiety which takes time to go away. Kira used
to get sick on the bed every time I went out of town for the weekend. I
only did it 4-5 times a summer, but it happened every time. After a few
years, she didn't have any problems. I after the first two times, I did
the vinyl tablecloth. I would then cover it with a throw blanket to
give her a nice blanket to sleep on. But I could come home and peel off
the messed up cover, toss it in the wash, and go to bed in a clean bed.
It really reduces the stress of the problem if it is easy to clean.

It could also be a medical problem, but from the information in the
post, it sounds more like stress, and that can be eliminated quickly.
Don't let the boyfriend come over.

bit-o-honey
June 30th 06, 03:15 AM
wrote:
> My daughter's two-year old neutered male cat has defecated on her bed
> two of the past three days

when the cat goes to crapping in the bed, it's a tell of a far worse
nasty going on in the house

mhmm, i see you grinnin, you know Im right, she don't clean that
trailer

damn rat crap under the sink