PDA

View Full Version : Otto's dental work, annoyed with vet

Elizabeth Blake
June 30th 06, 03:09 AM
My cat Otto (almost 7 years old) went to the vet last month because he was
very lethargic, not eating. Vet said colitis, gave me medication, said Otto
should be fine in a few days, and he was. The vet said that Otto's teeth
were in very poor condition and would need to be cleaned/worked on, but to
wait until he was feeling better. So last week I bring him back in to get
blood drawn before the dental work. The vet I don't care for much was there
and she said that Otto's lymph nodes were swollen, which could be from his
teeth/gums/infection. She asked me if I wanted to bring him up to date on
his vaccinations and I said no. Then she said they could do it when he was
brought in for the dental work and I said that I really didn't want to have
him vaccinated any more.

With the swollen lymph nodes & awful condition of his teeth, Otto started
taking an antibiotic on Monday in preparation for his dental visit today. I
brought him in this morning and picked him up this evening. The
receptionist gave me the bill, I paid, not really looking at it. I was
worried about Otto and I was also captivated by a little rescue kitten they
had in a big cage in the waiting room. The she said that she'd go get the
rabies tag for me, and I looked at my bill. They vaccinated him, rabies and
FVRCP. I told her that I hadn't asked for him to be vaccinated, and that I
had mentioned to the vet last week that I *didn't want* him to be
vaccinated. The vet who took care of Otto today is the one I like, not who
saw him last week. I spoke to him and he said the other vet wrote in the
file that he should be vaccinated during his teeth cleaning. He apologized
a lot but I was/am still extremely annoyed.

The good news is that Otto has clean teeth, although he has 3 fewer teeth
than he had when he went in. The vet told me to continue giving him the
antibiotic and also gave me a painkiller, 2x a day for 4 days. He said he
doesn't know if Otto will have any pain but since he can't tell me, to give
him the medication just in case. He said Otto might not feel like eating
anything tonight but I could offer him a little food. He devoured the wet
food I gave him (about 2 tablespoons) so I gave him more and he gobbled it
down. He was very steady on his feet, and didn't seem groggy from the
ansthesia. On the way home I even bought a container of freeze dried
chicken and he was more than happy to eat several pieces, which he had to
chew. Just before he was carrying Rosie The Flat Rat around in his mouth,
so he seems to be feeling fine.

Also, they always bill for medication separately but the vet personally gave
me the painkillers - normally a tech brings it out and hands it to the
receptionist to bill. With the vaccination screwup, I just put the
medication in my bag and left.

--
Liz

-L.
June 30th 06, 06:44 AM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:
<snip>

> I spoke to him and he said the other vet wrote in the
> file that he should be vaccinated during his teeth cleaning. He apologized
> a lot but I was/am still extremely annoyed.

They should not have charged you for the vaccines. That's SOP when
someone makes a mistake on vax. Vaccines cost the vets very little.

> The good news is that Otto has clean teeth, although he has 3 fewer teeth
> than he had when he went in. The vet told me to continue giving him the
> antibiotic and also gave me a painkiller, 2x a day for 4 days. He said he
> doesn't know if Otto will have any pain but since he can't tell me, to give
> him the medication just in case. He said Otto might not feel like eating
> anything tonight but I could offer him a little food. He devoured the wet
> food I gave him (about 2 tablespoons) so I gave him more and he gobbled it
> down. He was very steady on his feet, and didn't seem groggy from the
> ansthesia. On the way home I even bought a container of freeze dried
> chicken and he was more than happy to eat several pieces, which he had to
> chew. Just before he was carrying Rosie The Flat Rat around in his mouth,
> so he seems to be feeling fine.
>
> Also, they always bill for medication separately but the vet personally gave
> me the painkillers - normally a tech brings it out and hands it to the
> receptionist to bill. With the vaccination screwup, I just put the
> medication in my bag and left.

Well, that's sorta stealing, but he may have comped you the meds, and
that's why he just handed them to you. FWIW, Otto may not need all of
the pain killers. Four days on pain meds is excessive, IME.

-L.

Barb
June 30th 06, 11:28 AM
So glad Otto's all right. The vet handed you the meds to try to make up for
the shots you didn't want. You shouldn't be billed for them but what can
you do.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,