PDA

View Full Version : Bumps on cat's back

June 30th 06, 03:10 PM
Hello !

I have a 16 year old tabbie. Along the top of her back or spine, each
vertebrae has a bony lump on it. These extend up to about 3/8 " or so.
The bigger ones toward her tail - feels like there's a ball bearing
under the skin. The bumps do not move, they are bone. So when I pet
her back I feel a series of bumps. I assume these have grown up over
the past months or years, she's a little standoffish so I don't pet her
much.

There is no skin change at all. Is this part of the aging process ?
I've had many cats but none ever lived this long so I've never seen
this.

She gets around pretty good for an older cat.

Thank you.

Lesley
June 30th 06, 03:24 PM
> I have a 16 year old tabbie. Along the top of her back or spine, each
> vertebrae has a bony lump on it. These extend up to about 3/8 " or so.
> The bigger ones toward her tail - feels like there's a ball bearing
> under the skin. The bumps do not move, they are bone. So when I pet
> her back I feel a series of bumps. I assume these have grown up over
> the past months or years, she's a little standoffish so I don't pet her
> much.

Hi

My first thought is what you are feeling is the spinous processes of
the vertebrae which are perfectly normal. Older cats sometimes lose a
bit of weight (I'm told) so perhaps you're only able to feel them now.
Weight loss through should be checked out by a vet

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

22brix
June 30th 06, 04:26 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Maybe that's it. She's fairly skinny but she's always been on the
> light side. I think she weighs 7 pounds now but at her peak weighed 8.
> She has no loss of appetite ! She can hear canned food.
>
> She spends a lot of time sort of stooping, that is, on her feet but
> sort of crouched down. May be arthritis, I have been giving her that
> joint stuff (not pot, the other) that the vet gave but the capsules
> don't seem to do much, though maybe they are forestalling further
> damage. She can jump up on the hassock just fine and still drinks out
> of the toilet when given the chance.

Sounds like my senior kitty (17+ years). Molly's very petite (6.75 lbs now)
As she's aged she's lost some weight and her vertebrae have become more
prominent. She also crouches quite a bit and walks stiffly. Unfortunately
she can't tolerate the joint stuff either! She either throws up or has
diarrhoeae or both. Maybe pot would help . . .!

Bonnie

Wendy
June 30th 06, 05:39 PM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Maybe that's it. She's fairly skinny but she's always been on the
>> light side. I think she weighs 7 pounds now but at her peak weighed 8.
>> She has no loss of appetite ! She can hear canned food.
>>
>> She spends a lot of time sort of stooping, that is, on her feet but
>> sort of crouched down. May be arthritis, I have been giving her that
>> joint stuff (not pot, the other) that the vet gave but the capsules
>> don't seem to do much, though maybe they are forestalling further
>> damage. She can jump up on the hassock just fine and still drinks out
>> of the toilet when given the chance.
>
> Sounds like my senior kitty (17+ years). Molly's very petite (6.75 lbs
> now) As she's aged she's lost some weight and her vertebrae have become
> more prominent. She also crouches quite a bit and walks stiffly.
> Unfortunately she can't tolerate the joint stuff either! She either
> throws up or has diarrhoeae or both. Maybe pot would help . . .!
>
> Bonnie

Ask your vet about Arnica Montana. My cat Tigger used to sit by my chair and
meow until I got up and gave her some. It's a liquid and the vet said I
could give her a dropper or two as needed. As far as I know there are no
side effects and it did seem to give my cat some relief. She was also on the
Cosequin but that didn't do much for the pain from her arthritis.

22brix
June 30th 06, 08:00 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..

> "22brix" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> Maybe that's it. She's fairly skinny but she's always been on the
>>> light side. I think she weighs 7 pounds now but at her peak weighed 8.
>>> She has no loss of appetite ! She can hear canned food.
>>>
>>> She spends a lot of time sort of stooping, that is, on her feet but
>>> sort of crouched down. May be arthritis, I have been giving her that
>>> joint stuff (not pot, the other) that the vet gave but the capsules
>>> don't seem to do much, though maybe they are forestalling further
>>> damage. She can jump up on the hassock just fine and still drinks out
>>> of the toilet when given the chance.
>>
>> Sounds like my senior kitty (17+ years). Molly's very petite (6.75 lbs
>> now) As she's aged she's lost some weight and her vertebrae have become
>> more prominent. She also crouches quite a bit and walks stiffly.
>> Unfortunately she can't tolerate the joint stuff either! She either
>> throws up or has diarrhoeae or both. Maybe pot would help . . .!
>>
>> Bonnie
>>

> Ask your vet about Arnica Montana. My cat Tigger used to sit by my chair
> and meow until I got up and gave her some. It's a liquid and the vet said
> I could give her a dropper or two as needed. As far as I know there are no
> side effects and it did seem to give my cat some relief. She was also on
> the Cosequin but that didn't do much for the pain from her arthritis.

Thanks for the suggestion! Is it for joints or does it help with digestive
issues? She can't tolerate Cosequin.

She is an incredibly sweet cat and I hate to see her creaking around so
much. We rescued her when she was already a senior cat--probably 9 or 10
and she's mothered every kitten that we've rescued since. She's spayed but
she'll allow them to nuzzle up to her (even after they're full grown) and
basically takes over as mom cat. She'll groom them, treat them like her
own. She's also bomb proof--nothing seems to bother her. You can hold her
like a baby and she just gently grabs hold of your hand, starts licking it
and purrs. I used to take her on vacation with us and though she wasn't
crazy about the trip, she'd settle down within a few minutes and sleep the
whole way.

Thanks, Bonnie

mariib via CatKB.com
June 30th 06, 09:43 PM
wrote:
>Hello !
>
>I have a 16 year old tabbie. Along the top of her back or spine, each
>vertebrae has a bony lump on it. These extend up to about 3/8 " or so.
> The bigger ones toward her tail - feels like there's a ball bearing
>under the skin. The bumps do not move, they are bone. So when I pet
>her back I feel a series of bumps. I assume these have grown up over
>the past months or years, she's a little standoffish so I don't pet her
>much.
>
>There is no skin change at all. Is this part of the aging process ?
>I've had many cats but none ever lived this long so I've never seen
>this.
>
>She gets around pretty good for an older cat.
>
>Thank you.

This is not at all unusual & is part of aging - especially if she's also got
arthritis - she's loosing muscle mass everywhere, probably isn't nearly as
active & mobile as when she was younger. One of my cats was put to sleep
last fall at almost 21 years & although still relatively perky & alert, she
was very skinny & bony-looking, especially her front & back legs. Her weight
had dropped from her normal 12 lbs to about 6-1/2 lbs. As long as your cat is
pain-free, there's no reason you can't have several more years with her.

July 1st 06, 12:01 AM
In article om>,
says...

> > I have a 16 year old tabbie. Along the top of her back or spine, each
> > vertebrae has a bony lump on it. These extend up to about 3/8 " or so.
> > The bigger ones toward her tail - feels like there's a ball bearing
> > under the skin. The bumps do not move, they are bone. So when I pet
> > her back I feel a series of bumps. I assume these have grown up over
> > the past months or years, she's a little standoffish so I don't pet her
> > much.
> >
> Hi
>
> My first thought is what you are feeling is the spinous processes of
> the vertebrae which are perfectly normal. Older cats sometimes lose a
> bit of weight (I'm told) so perhaps you're only able to feel them now.
> Weight loss through should be checked out by a vet

Yep - that's what my vet told me. They're more pronunced in Randyh my 16
year old cat - he was 11 pounds a few years ago now he's 8.5lbs which
the vet considers normal for his age.

Emily is 13 years old and not showing any signs of it. But in here case,
for most of her life she was 6.5lbs, now she's 8.5lbs too.

Wendy
July 17th 06, 11:48 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "Wendy" > wrote in message
> . ..

>>> oups.com...

>>> Sounds like my senior kitty (17+ years). Molly's very petite (6.75 lbs
>>> now) As she's aged she's lost some weight and her vertebrae have become
>>> more prominent. She also crouches quite a bit and walks stiffly.
>>> Unfortunately she can't tolerate the joint stuff either! She either
>>> throws up or has diarrhoeae or both. Maybe pot would help . . .!
>>>
>>> Bonnie
>>>

>> Ask your vet about Arnica Montana. My cat Tigger used to sit by my chair
>> and meow until I got up and gave her some. It's a liquid and the vet said
>> I could give her a dropper or two as needed. As far as I know there are
>> no side effects and it did seem to give my cat some relief. She was also
>> on the Cosequin but that didn't do much for the pain from her arthritis.

> Thanks for the suggestion! Is it for joints or does it help with
> digestive issues? She can't tolerate Cosequin.
>
> She is an incredibly sweet cat and I hate to see her creaking around so
> much. We rescued her when she was already a senior cat--probably 9 or 10
> and she's mothered every kitten that we've rescued since. She's spayed
> but she'll allow them to nuzzle up to her (even after they're full grown)
> and basically takes over as mom cat. She'll groom them, treat them like
> her own. She's also bomb proof--nothing seems to bother her. You can
> hold her like a baby and she just gently grabs hold of your hand, starts
> licking it and purrs. I used to take her on vacation with us and though
> she wasn't crazy about the trip, she'd settle down within a few minutes
> and sleep the whole way.
>
> Thanks, Bonnie

The Arnica Montana is for pain.

22brix
July 17th 06, 02:54 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..

> "22brix" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Wendy" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> Ask your vet about Arnica Montana. My cat Tigger used to sit by my chair
>>> and meow until I got up and gave her some. It's a liquid and the vet
>>> said I could give her a dropper or two as needed. As far as I know there
>>> are no side effects and it did seem to give my cat some relief. She was
>>> also on the Cosequin but that didn't do much for the pain from her
>>> arthritis.

>> Thanks for the suggestion! Is it for joints or does it help with
>> digestive issues? She can't tolerate Cosequin.
>>
>> She is an incredibly sweet cat and I hate to see her creaking around so
>> much. We rescued her when she was already a senior cat--probably 9 or 10
>> and she's mothered every kitten that we've rescued since. She's spayed
>> but she'll allow them to nuzzle up to her (even after they're full grown)
>> and basically takes over as mom cat. She'll groom them, treat them like
>> her own. She's also bomb proof--nothing seems to bother her. You can
>> hold her like a baby and she just gently grabs hold of your hand, starts
>> licking it and purrs. I used to take her on vacation with us and though
>> she wasn't crazy about the trip, she'd settle down within a few minutes
>> and sleep the whole way.
>>
>> Thanks, Bonnie
>>

> The Arnica Montana is for pain.

Thanks for the info! Bonnie