PDA

View Full Version : Cat Show

June 30th 06, 05:29 PM
there is a Star City Cat Fanciers Cat Show in Roanoke, VA at their civic
center on July 1 and 2 this weekend.

I can't wait to go and going by myself. When others go with me they
aren't as thrilled to see all the cats, etc. and I don't get to stay as
long.

do others in here go to cat shows? anything I should be looking for or
enjoying because I really don't know much about what goes on at one.

thanks for letting me share!

amary - mother of 4 inside cats and 1 outside stray (hope to make it an
indoor cat someday)

Toni
June 30th 06, 06:19 PM
> wrote in message
>
> do others in here go to cat shows? anything I should be looking for or
> enjoying because I really don't know much about what goes on at one.

I go- great place for shopping and I find things there that I don't see
anywhere else.
Take $$ for a new cat tree :)

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

June 30th 06, 06:42 PM
How neat - never heard about a cat show. Is there a web site where I
could learn more about them?

wrote:
> there is a Star City Cat Fanciers Cat Show in Roanoke, VA at their civic
> center on July 1 and 2 this weekend.
>
> I can't wait to go and going by myself. When others go with me they
> aren't as thrilled to see all the cats, etc. and I don't get to stay as
> long.
>
> do others in here go to cat shows? anything I should be looking for or
> enjoying because I really don't know much about what goes on at one.
>
> thanks for letting me share!
>
> amary - mother of 4 inside cats and 1 outside stray (hope to make it an
> indoor cat someday)

Toni
July 1st 06, 12:23 AM
> wrote in message
ps.com...
> How neat - never heard about a cat show. Is there a web site where I
> could learn more about them?

Simply Google "cat+shows"- Google is a wonderful resource :)

General information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_show

CFA schedule:
http://www.cfainc.org/exhibitors/show-schedule.html

TICA schedule:
http://home.flash.net/~debreed/calendar.htm

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

-L.
July 1st 06, 07:17 AM
wrote:
> there is a Star City Cat Fanciers Cat Show in Roanoke, VA at their civic
> center on July 1 and 2 this weekend.
>
> I can't wait to go and going by myself. When others go with me they
> aren't as thrilled to see all the cats, etc. and I don't get to stay as
> long.
>
> do others in here go to cat shows? anything I should be looking for or
> enjoying because I really don't know much about what goes on at one.

Look out for really bitchy and self-impressed cat breeders. They're a
piece of work. :) Personally I'd rather see who is on display at the
local shelter. ;)

-L.

bit-o-honey
July 1st 06, 10:59 AM
-L. wrote:

> Look out for really bitchy and self-impressed cat breeders. They're a
> piece of work. :) Personally I'd rather see who is on display at the
> local shelter. ;)
>
> -L.

Damn Lyn why you gotta be a kill joy

I live an hour from the show, straight out 460west

you goto the shelter, Im going to the cat show

you don't wanna see cats walking on barrels and stuff? I do

I bet they got cotton caaandy, funnel cakes and sausageeess
-
the foreigners will be serving little tasty chunks of "the other white
meat" on a stick
-

Everybody loves and helps shelter cats, you can't let this
overpopulation problem prevent you from having some fun

I see nothing wrong with a cat show, you know, maintain the different
unique breeds (this is good) It's a celebration of LIFE

society has an obligation to be responsible with their actions
society has an obligation to itself to educate itself with the
overpopulation problem

Im going

and if any of you net freaks want my autograph while Im there, you
can't miss me!
Ill be the one in the fur coat and diamonds.. just don't walk up on me
too fast Ill have my body guards I wouldnt' want you to be pig wrestled
to the ground

July 2nd 06, 10:34 PM
well I enjoyed the cat show but didn't see as many breeds as I would
have hoped. There were a lot of Maine Coon Cats and I hope one day to
have an all white maine coon. (anybody out there have a small kitten
they would want to send to a good home?)

There were some regular cats for adoption there and overall everyone was
nice to me that I talked to. But of course there are some snotty ones
wherever you go, you just ignore them. I love seeing the different
people who love cats and it is interesting to see the judges and how
they handle the cats and what they look for. some are chatty and some
are not.

Hmm, i didn't see anybody is furs and diamonds to run up and say "hi
bit o honey" to!!!
Everybody should go sometime just for the experience. It is so hard not
to want to pet the cats though. I came home and loved on my kitties
because they are "best in show" at my house everyday

amary

bit-o-honey
July 3rd 06, 02:02 AM
wrote:

> Hmm, i didn't see anybody is furs and diamonds to run up and say "hi
> bit o honey" to!!!
> Everybody should go sometime just for the experience. It is so hard not
> to want to pet the cats though. I came home and loved on my kitties
> because they are "best in show" at my house everyday
>
> amary

that's really nice

I had to work, plus the cats have haired up the silk lining, my fur
needs to hit the cleaners, but my stetson still has a good shape to it,
I couldn't find the earrings I needed so I said to heck with it

It's just as well, cats come to me and they don't want to go back to
the owner, it's not a pretty sight

I guess these shows can attrack a certain number of snooty people, I
might have had to fire up a good cigar if I went

was there any croudette at the show? not hotdogs and popcorn kind, but
good wine and fine cheeses, you know that kind of finger food, im
trying to get a feel for the type of people

then I was scared I might run into one of the posters here
I told how I had pulled her panties down and spanked that ass

dgk
July 5th 06, 01:36 PM
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:29:27 -0400, wrote:

>there is a Star City Cat Fanciers Cat Show in Roanoke, VA at their civic
>center on July 1 and 2 this weekend.
>
> I can't wait to go and going by myself. When others go with me they
>aren't as thrilled to see all the cats, etc. and I don't get to stay as
>long.
>
>do others in here go to cat shows? anything I should be looking for or
>enjoying because I really don't know much about what goes on at one.
>
>thanks for letting me share!
>
>amary - mother of 4 inside cats and 1 outside stray (hope to make it an
>indoor cat someday)

I go to the NYC show at Madison Square Garden each year. I'm sort of
conflicted on the matter of Cat Shows because I'm not a big fan of
breeding, but it is interesting seeing all the different kinds of
cats. Some are astonishingly ugly but most are very cute. At least
they have adopt-a-cat sections now so it somewhat offsets the idea of
breeding cats when there are so many strays that need a home.

And it is a great place for free samples and general shopping. I can't
sit through too many judgings though. One of my cats has a much cuter
face than I've ever seen at a cat show, but his droopy stomache would
disqualify him from serious judging. He might do well at the obstacle
course however.

July 6th 06, 08:27 AM
-L. wrote:

> Look out for really bitchy and self-impressed cat breeders. They're a
> piece of work. :) Personally I'd rather see who is on display at the
> local shelter. ;)

You said you didn't need a puppy. How good are you at looking shelter
kitties and not being tempted? :)

I go to cat shows as a vendor. In February of 2005, I went to another
show. I found an awesome cat tree being raffled off. The kind where you
buy half a playing card to match up. It had shelves at nice heights and
space well so that my elderly boy would be able to use it. I bought 3
tickets.

I made the "mistake" of wandering by the shelter exhibits. They had two
shelter groups there. That's where I found "Mister". He was sitting in
his kitty litter box, so I really saw was a sweet fluffy bluepoint with
a huge thick head and gorgeous eyes. I knew we couldn't get another
cat, so I tried to put him out of my mind.

The next day, my mom mentioned that she had brought up the cat to my
dad. I rent the basement, and I already had 2 cats, and a dog. My
nephew has a cat, and my mom had a dog. Not the most we've ever had,
but then my dad really isn't an animal person, so anything is more than
he would like. (honestly, I don't know how he puts up with us, except
the animals have worked hard to win him over).

Once I realized I had a shot, there was no stopping. I spent most of my
time staring at the gorgeous cat (not realizing he was hypnotizing me)
than attending my vendor booth. When I wasn't staring at him, my mom
was.

By afternoon, I had gotten the approval (later he admitted he didn't
think he had an option). And I waited by my cat to pay his adoption fee
(nobody was getting MY cat).

After that, I won the cat tree! That was exciting. I've never wanted a
raffle price so badly as that one.

When we packed the van at the end of the day, it was a tight fit. The
cat tree is only about 4 feet tall, but wide with 3 large circle
platforms well spaced out. I had to fold down the seats and lay it
across them. After getting all the vendor stuff back in, the only space
for the cat was in between the two front seats, with the carrier
resting on the arm rests. Thankfully, the shelter lady let us borrow
the carrier since he was large. She has the cardboard ones to give
away, but that was too small for him. I was going to beg my dad to
drive 45 minutes each way to bring my carrier. I was able to give it
back to her at a later show.

My elderly boy only got to enjoy the cat tree for a few months, which
he did. Mister Jay Jay loved it too, and after Maynard died, he took
it over. The others use it occasionally, but he sacks out on it.

I still go to cat shows, and my mom took a liking to another cat from
the same shelter. It took her 3 shows, but we brought her home last
August from a show in Portland. That time, I had my vendor canopy, and
there were 3 of us with overnight stuff. It was a really tight fit
getting a jumbo carrier in the car.

We became friends with the shelter lady after getting Jay Jay, so we
keep in touch and see each other shows. She re-started a business of
selling of cat things, so I have bought some stuff from her, and it's
been fun to have her booth next to ours. My mom volunteered at one of
their events, and I donated some stuff to their craft booth last
winter.

Oh, and I took Jay Jay to a show last February. For teh household pet
class. He took 2nd place in the longhair specialty for the first judge.
After that, we mistakenly let the shelter lady come see him. We didn't
realize until later that he put that together with the show and decided
he was up for adoption again. After that, he hiseed at every judge, and
basically told everybody that he was not a good cat to adopt. He hated
the show, but bless his heart, he was fighting to keep the home he has.
I hope he realized that I was never going to give him up.

I do hope to take him to shows again, though I would like to take him
and not have him judged once so that he just gets used to the sights
and smells and the great ride home. He was absolutely perfect in his
regular cage, and lots of people were very impressed with him. Several
spectators were surprised to learn that an unregistered cat may be
shown. There's a special class for them that is quite fun. And I really
liked being to able to show people what they could get at a shelter.
Not bad for $75 - vaccinated, microchipped, spaey/neutered, and an
AWESOME cat. Such a great deal. And these cats are waiting for homes. I
was really proud to include the shelter name on my display, and I have
a photo of Jay Jay on the back of my photography brochure with the
name of the shelter.

July 7th 06, 01:01 AM
I must have missed a lot at the cat show I went to but I was only there
for like 2 1/2 hours the first day. I never did see any challenge
course (I would have loved that!) nor did I see any programs of what was
going on. I did see lots of people with booklets filling stuff out. I
guess I need to find somebody around here who can walk me through what
is what at a show and what to look for..

bit-o-honey.... food? all I saw was the stuff the Civic Center was
peddling and it didn't look like a swanky affair. I was afraid of
bopping into somebody with a plate of hotdogs or something! I guess
some shows are higher quality than others in the refreshment department.

friesian, I really enjoyed reading your account of being a vendor.
There were a few there selling things but I didn't see anything I just
had to have. a lot there was the same you can buy at craft fairs and I
was especially interested in looking for items of clothing with cats on
them but mostly were just sweatshirts with kittens on them. I guess I
was looking for a one-of-a-kind item. Are there websites that have cat
clothing? there was also a lot of non-cat related jewelry there but
then again, I didn't what what to expect.

I'm still wanting a white maine coon cat and not having any luck
searching online for one. But I still have my 3 "regular" cats and
love them just as much. I think there is room for both kinds - pedigree
and regulars. oh heck, I just love cats.

amary

July 7th 06, 01:50 AM
wrote:
> I must have missed a lot at the cat show I went to but I was only there
> for like 2 1/2 hours the first day. I never did see any challenge
> course (I would have loved that!) nor did I see any programs of what was
> going on. I did see lots of people with booklets filling stuff out. I
> guess I need to find somebody around here who can walk me through what
> is what at a show and what to look for..

A few of the cats shows have had cat agility which is fun to watch.
They often don't do as planned, so it can be entertaining.

Most of the show is more serious, as the breeders look at the cats.
Some judges are really quiet, and some are chatty and educational. I
tend to find a judge that is more talkative, and then watch multiple
classes go through their station. The household pets are more fun too
as they are judged on health (condition), personality (playfulness),
and overall suitableness as a pet. So any mismarks or flaws are
overlooked unless it affects their health. And usually the most playful
cats win. The judge will also talk to the owners, ask about their
history, so it is more interactive.

I can tell you that my hissing boy wasn't doing himself any favors for
points, but he sure was proving he loved his current home and was
willing to fight for it. I was a bit embarassed and shocked. I had for
a year before that show, and that was teh first time I saw him hiss at
anybody. The first time he swatted at anybody (except when I did his
nails a couple times), and the very first time I heard him growl. I had
no idea the big wuss had it in him.

But he has been much happier since the show and even more playful,
relaxed, and more interested in other family members. I think the show,
and his return home, helped him understand that he really is a keeper
here, and this is really his permanent home. And he really didn't try
to hurt anybody. He swatted much harder at me than he did at the judges
(I had to pull him out of the cage each time). He was angry because he
thought I was giving him up. If he had really wanted to, he could have
hurt somebody. But he kept his claws sheathed.

> bit-o-honey.... food? all I saw was the stuff the Civic Center was
> peddling and it didn't look like a swanky affair. I was afraid of
> bopping into somebody with a plate of hotdogs or something! I guess
> some shows are higher quality than others in the refreshment department.

Some of the shows had a food vendor outside, or brought for exhibitors
who paid in advance. I always take a cooler with my own food.

> friesian, I really enjoyed reading your account of being a vendor.
> There were a few there selling things but I didn't see anything I just
> had to have. a lot there was the same you can buy at craft fairs and I
> was especially interested in looking for items of clothing with cats on
> them but mostly were just sweatshirts with kittens on them. I guess I
> was looking for a one-of-a-kind item. Are there websites that have cat
> clothing? there was also a lot of non-cat related jewelry there but
> then again, I didn't what what to expect.

Some of it is standard stuff, and there is usually a jewelry vendor
there. I really like finding the Royal Canin reps there. They sell the
cat food at a lower price than in stores, and if you get there soon
enough, you can buy them in 15lb bags. At the local stores, I find the
Maine Coon food for $13.99 for a 3lb bag, and $18.99 for a 7lb bag if I
am lucky enough to find it. The rep has the 15lb bag for $28. I have
learned to stop there first.

Most of the cat food vendors have sample bags of many types to let you
take home and try.

There have also been some great cat tree vendors. Better designs and
prices than in the local stores. I am trying to encourage my dad to do
this in his spare time. He needs to get garage cleaned out. But he
could do those, take them to the show, and my mom and I can run the two
booths together.

My shelter lady friend has cat supplies like toys, water fountains,
grooming tools, etc. Her friend does custom shirts and sweaters with
kitty patterns. She has several on hand and takes custom orders. They
aren't my style, but they are very popular, and she is always
backlogged with orders. She is an older retired woman, and this gives
her a good income.

I do pet photography, and I do custom products too. So, I have a
display of products already made featuring cats, dogs, horses, wildlife
(cougars, etc). I make things like tote bags, keychains, magents,
rulers, calculators, etc that feature photos. And I can photograph
somebody's cat and put that photo on the item.

I do better at shows where I can also set up my photography booth. I
have a canopy that is totally enclosed so the cats cannot escape. I can
photograph the cats and then show them the photos. They can order
prints, a CD, or just order products with the photos. At shows where I
just have the products, I don't do as well. But it helps promote my
services, and it is much more fun to go to the people's homes and
photograph all of their pets. I can spend a couple hours there, taking
the time to play and bring out something good in everybody, even the
shy ones. And I can get group shots or the fun outtakes (like a good
swat and run). And we can set up a special shot that is something the
cat does, like snuggle with a special toy or something else that they
only do at home, but would be a great memory to have on film.

> I'm still wanting a white maine coon cat and not having any luck
> searching online for one. But I still have my 3 "regular" cats and
> love them just as much. I think there is room for both kinds - pedigree
> and regulars. oh heck, I just love cats.

I have seen one, and I wish I had the owner's name. I would go
photograph that cat for free. He was royalty. Every single judge could
see it, and they all let go of him and had him pose on the table. I
have a couple photos of him at the show. But my nephew came up with a
really cool idea for a children's book in his junior year of high
school. We have talked about expanding it and me illustrating it with
my photos. A joint book that we could sell. But the story starts with a
bunch of solid white long haired cats. I need to photograph a few
different cats in a variety of poses. And this cat would be perfect.

-L.
July 7th 06, 06:55 AM
wrote:
> -L. wrote:
>
> > Look out for really bitchy and self-impressed cat breeders. They're a
> > piece of work. :) Personally I'd rather see who is on display at the
> > local shelter. ;)
> >

> You said you didn't need a puppy. How good are you at looking shelter
> kitties and not being tempted? :)

Really good. That one pup just melted my heart because he had Tosh's
face. I was suckered in!

> I go to cat shows as a vendor. In February of 2005, I went to another
> show. I found an awesome cat tree being raffled off. The kind where you
> buy half a playing card to match up. It had shelves at nice heights and
> space well so that my elderly boy would be able to use it. I bought 3
> tickets.
>
> I made the "mistake" of wandering by the shelter exhibits. They had two
> shelter groups there. That's where I found "Mister". He was sitting in
> his kitty litter box, so I really saw was a sweet fluffy bluepoint with
> a huge thick head and gorgeous eyes. I knew we couldn't get another
> cat, so I tried to put him out of my mind.
>
> The next day, my mom mentioned that she had brought up the cat to my
> dad. I rent the basement, and I already had 2 cats, and a dog. My
> nephew has a cat, and my mom had a dog. Not the most we've ever had,
> but then my dad really isn't an animal person, so anything is more than
> he would like. (honestly, I don't know how he puts up with us, except
> the animals have worked hard to win him over).
>
> Once I realized I had a shot, there was no stopping. I spent most of my
> time staring at the gorgeous cat (not realizing he was hypnotizing me)
> than attending my vendor booth. When I wasn't staring at him, my mom
> was.
>
> By afternoon, I had gotten the approval (later he admitted he didn't
> think he had an option). And I waited by my cat to pay his adoption fee
> (nobody was getting MY cat).
>
> After that, I won the cat tree! That was exciting. I've never wanted a
> raffle price so badly as that one.

Cool!

> When we packed the van at the end of the day, it was a tight fit. The
> cat tree is only about 4 feet tall, but wide with 3 large circle
> platforms well spaced out. I had to fold down the seats and lay it
> across them. After getting all the vendor stuff back in, the only space
> for the cat was in between the two front seats, with the carrier
> resting on the arm rests. Thankfully, the shelter lady let us borrow
> the carrier since he was large. She has the cardboard ones to give
> away, but that was too small for him. I was going to beg my dad to
> drive 45 minutes each way to bring my carrier. I was able to give it
> back to her at a later show.
>
> My elderly boy only got to enjoy the cat tree for a few months, which
> he did. Mister Jay Jay loved it too, and after Maynard died, he took
> it over. The others use it occasionally, but he sacks out on it.
>
> I still go to cat shows, and my mom took a liking to another cat from
> the same shelter. It took her 3 shows, but we brought her home last
> August from a show in Portland. That time, I had my vendor canopy, and
> there were 3 of us with overnight stuff. It was a really tight fit
> getting a jumbo carrier in the car.
>
> We became friends with the shelter lady after getting Jay Jay, so we
> keep in touch and see each other shows. She re-started a business of
> selling of cat things, so I have bought some stuff from her, and it's
> been fun to have her booth next to ours. My mom volunteered at one of
> their events, and I donated some stuff to their craft booth last
> winter.
>
> Oh, and I took Jay Jay to a show last February. For teh household pet
> class. He took 2nd place in the longhair specialty for the first judge.
> After that, we mistakenly let the shelter lady come see him. We didn't
> realize until later that he put that together with the show and decided
> he was up for adoption again. After that, he hiseed at every judge, and
> basically told everybody that he was not a good cat to adopt. He hated
> the show, but bless his heart, he was fighting to keep the home he has.
> I hope he realized that I was never going to give him up.
>
> I do hope to take him to shows again, though I would like to take him
> and not have him judged once so that he just gets used to the sights
> and smells and the great ride home. He was absolutely perfect in his
> regular cage, and lots of people were very impressed with him. Several
> spectators were surprised to learn that an unregistered cat may be
> shown. There's a special class for them that is quite fun. And I really
> liked being to able to show people what they could get at a shelter.
> Not bad for $75 - vaccinated, microchipped, spaey/neutered, and an
> AWESOME cat. Such a great deal. And these cats are waiting for homes. I
> was really proud to include the shelter name on my display, and I have
> a photo of Jay Jay on the back of my photography brochure with the
> name of the shelter.

I have a friend who shows her moggies regularly. More often than not,
it's the judge's whimsy as to who wins. :)

-L.