PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of cat poop

svu geek
July 2nd 06, 05:50 AM
Where is the best place to dispose of cat poop and cat litter? Should
it be put in the trash? Or should it be dumped in a pile in the
backyard? I'm more concerned about the environmental stuff more than
anything else. Personally, I'd rather just throw it in the trash. But
if dumping it in the backyard is better then I can do that.

Zippy
July 2nd 06, 09:18 AM
svu geek wrote:
> Where is the best place to dispose of cat poop and cat litter? Should
> it be put in the trash? Or should it be dumped in a pile in the
> backyard? I'm more concerned about the environmental stuff more than
> anything else. Personally, I'd rather just throw it in the trash. But
> if dumping it in the backyard is better then I can do that.

Cat waste is virulent with bacteria so powerful that only healthy
people should handle it and then they should wash their hands very
thoroughly.
Environmentalists say don't let cat or dog waste lie in your yard,
especially if you have a well on your property.
And most cat litters aren't compatible with nature -- unless of course
they are made of natural materials. Some become very gummy and sticky
when wet.
However soiled cat litter applied sparingly will repel unwanted
varmints such as groundhogs, etc, but use just enough to create a
barrier. We double bag our cats' soiled litter and put it in the
trash.

MaryL
July 2nd 06, 01:43 PM
"svu geek" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Where is the best place to dispose of cat poop and cat litter? Should
> it be put in the trash? Or should it be dumped in a pile in the
> backyard? I'm more concerned about the environmental stuff more than
> anything else. Personally, I'd rather just throw it in the trash. But
> if dumping it in the backyard is better then I can do that.

I put mine into plastic bags and then into the trash. If you put it in your
backyard, it will probably attract other cats -- and you may find that your
backyard will become a convenient rest stop for neighborhood cats.

MaryL

jmc
July 2nd 06, 01:57 PM
Suddenly, without warning, MaryL exclaimed (02-Jul-06 10:13 PM):
> "svu geek" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Where is the best place to dispose of cat poop and cat litter? Should
>> it be put in the trash? Or should it be dumped in a pile in the
>> backyard? I'm more concerned about the environmental stuff more than
>> anything else. Personally, I'd rather just throw it in the trash. But
>> if dumping it in the backyard is better then I can do that.
>>

> I put mine into plastic bags and then into the trash. If you put it in your
> backyard, it will probably attract other cats -- and you may find that your
> backyard will become a convenient rest stop for neighborhood cats.
>
> MaryL

Actually, I found using it in the back yard *deterred* other cats,
rather than attracted them. All that scent no doubt said in capital
letters, "THIS IS MEEP'S GARDEN"...

I use Worlds Best Litter, it's biodegradable. I flush the poo (done
this in three countries, never had a problem), all that goes into the
garden is "clean" (no clumps)litter once it starts to pong.

jmc

July 2nd 06, 01:58 PM
Do men's farts smell worse than women's farts?

Based on what I have experienced of women's farts, all I can say is
that I hope not. Scientific studies of farts show that women's farts
have a higher concentration of odor-causing gases than men's farts, but
men's farts have a larger volume. The two factors equalize out (the
same number of stench molecules for both), so the odor is about the
same.

More fart fact : www.jeffssite.net/fartfacts

Toni
July 2nd 06, 02:32 PM
"Zippy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We double bag our cats' soiled litter and put it in the
> trash.

Ditto.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Candace
July 2nd 06, 10:19 PM
jmc wrote:

> Actually, I found using it in the back yard *deterred* other cats,
> rather than attracted them. All that scent no doubt said in capital
> letters, "THIS IS MEEP'S GARDEN"...

Are you and your kitty back together again? I haven't read any updates
since she got on the plane but I might have missed them.

Candace

jmc
July 5th 06, 12:54 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Candace exclaimed (03-Jul-06 6:49 AM):
> jmc wrote:
>
>> Actually, I found using it in the back yard *deterred* other cats,
>> rather than attracted them. All that scent no doubt said in capital
>> letters, "THIS IS MEEP'S GARDEN"...
>
> Are you and your kitty back together again? I haven't read any updates
> since she got on the plane but I might have missed them.
>
> Candace

Yea, I guess you missed 'em. I'm sure I posted something. Yup, been
back together for a couple of weeks. She was quite skinny but is
putting on some weight, and is acting pretty normal now. Having some
problems with constipation but that seems to be slowly clearing up as
well.

I think all in all, despite my worries, she handled this quarantine
better than the last time she was there.

jmc