PDA

View Full Version : Dog scares my cats

svu geek
July 2nd 06, 06:05 AM
I need an opinion on something.

The person I live with has a dog that he keeps tied up on a chain (bad,
I know) in a pen with a doghouse. Recently, the guy keeps tying his dog
up in the yard rather than in the pen. Even though that annoys me (I'd
rather not see or hear the dog) I understand the dog needs to get out
of the pen occasionally.

The problem is that the guy will now often leave the dog out there all
day and all night. I would like the dog put away by 8pm at the latest.
Part of the reason is because of my cats. When they come to eat the dog
will bark at them and scare them. I've noticed that they hardly come
around when the dog is out there. The cats also can't go for our usual
walks with me in the evenings because the dog will scare them. I
suppose I should mention that the guy's previous dog did not bark at or
scare the cats.

My cats have been around years before the guy got the dog. Is it
unreasonable of me to ask that the dog be put back in it's pen no later
than 8pm? It's bad enough that I have to put up with it out there
during the day (it barks and whines). I don't think it's fair to me or
the cats or even the dog to leave it out there during the night.

The guy can't understand why I don't want the dog out there. So I can't
tell if I'm being unreasonable or not. Any thoughts?

22brix
July 2nd 06, 07:08 AM
"svu geek" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I need an opinion on something.
>
> The person I live with has a dog that he keeps tied up on a chain (bad,
> I know) in a pen with a doghouse. Recently, the guy keeps tying his dog
> up in the yard rather than in the pen. Even though that annoys me (I'd
> rather not see or hear the dog) I understand the dog needs to get out
> of the pen occasionally.
>
> The problem is that the guy will now often leave the dog out there all
> day and all night. I would like the dog put away by 8pm at the latest.
> Part of the reason is because of my cats. When they come to eat the dog
> will bark at them and scare them. I've noticed that they hardly come
> around when the dog is out there. The cats also can't go for our usual
> walks with me in the evenings because the dog will scare them. I
> suppose I should mention that the guy's previous dog did not bark at or
> scare the cats.
>
> My cats have been around years before the guy got the dog. Is it
> unreasonable of me to ask that the dog be put back in it's pen no later
> than 8pm? It's bad enough that I have to put up with it out there
> during the day (it barks and whines). I don't think it's fair to me or
> the cats or even the dog to leave it out there during the night.
>
> The guy can't understand why I don't want the dog out there. So I can't
> tell if I'm being unreasonable or not. Any thoughts?

No, you're not being unreasonable at all! For one thing, what he's doing to
the dog is cruel (and illegal in some areas)--dogs are social animals and
shouldn't just be tied up and ignored. If he's just tying the dog up why
does he bother keeping him/her? If he doesn't have the time or inclination
to take care of this dog, it'd be better to rehome him with someone who does
have time for it. It's really unfair to the dog--he's probably bored. It's
also not fair to you (or any neighbors!) to have a dog barking all the time.
I love dogs but it drives me nuts when people don't take care of them. You
also have a right to be worried about your cats--would the dog hurt them if
they got too close? They clearly don't feel safe around the dog.

Good luck, Bonnie

Charlie Wilkes
July 2nd 06, 09:11 AM
On 1 Jul 2006 22:05:44 -0700, "svu geek" > wrote:

>I need an opinion on something.
>
>The person I live with has a dog that he keeps tied up on a chain (bad,
>I know) in a pen with a doghouse. Recently, the guy keeps tying his dog
>up in the yard rather than in the pen. Even though that annoys me (I'd
>rather not see or hear the dog) I understand the dog needs to get out
>of the pen occasionally.
>
>The problem is that the guy will now often leave the dog out there all
>day and all night. I would like the dog put away by 8pm at the latest.
>Part of the reason is because of my cats. When they come to eat the dog
>will bark at them and scare them. I've noticed that they hardly come
>around when the dog is out there. The cats also can't go for our usual
>walks with me in the evenings because the dog will scare them. I
>suppose I should mention that the guy's previous dog did not bark at or
>scare the cats.
>
>My cats have been around years before the guy got the dog. Is it
>unreasonable of me to ask that the dog be put back in it's pen no later
>than 8pm? It's bad enough that I have to put up with it out there
>during the day (it barks and whines). I don't think it's fair to me or
>the cats or even the dog to leave it out there during the night.
>
>The guy can't understand why I don't want the dog out there. So I can't
>tell if I'm being unreasonable or not. Any thoughts?

Is this a housemate or a guy you are shacked up with?

In any case, the answer is to take an interest in the dog. Make that
dog love you more than life itself.

If you are wondering how that will solve your problem, I will tell you
what the hermit in Tibet told me: "fulfill my quest, and you will
understand."

Charlie
Zen Master