PDA

View Full Version : Best cat food out there??????? opinions please

The Donkey
July 2nd 06, 07:53 PM
Hi, I was wondering what the consesus is on the "best" cat food.

I feed my cats Eukanuba Lamb and Rice dry food, with additional goodies here
and there.

Is there a "best" dry food out there?

Is canned food really better? If so, which one?

I have been looking into the "raw meat" options - not as full time, but for
a treat.

Input please.
Thanks

Joe Canuck
July 2nd 06, 09:31 PM
The Donkey wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering what the consesus is on the "best" cat food.
>
> I feed my cats Eukanuba Lamb and Rice dry food, with additional goodies here
> and there.
>
> Is there a "best" dry food out there?

Yes.

> Is canned food really better?

Yes.

> If so, which one?

Science Diet. I'm sure there will be debate over that.

> I have been looking into the "raw meat" options - not as full time, but for
> a treat.
>
> Input please.
> Thanks

Kiran
July 3rd 06, 01:10 PM
The Donkey > wrote:

: Is canned food really better?

Yes.

: If so, which one?

I don't know what's available near you.

Mainly choose chicken/turkey; beef, lamb, seafood should be no more
than occasional treats.

Look for named meat and organs ("chicken" "chicken liver" as first few
ingredients rather than "with chicken" "byproducts" "meal" "dinner"
etc), low carbs, low phosphorous. I find the following compilation
useful:

http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html

: I have been looking into the "raw meat" options - not as full time, but for
: a treat.

Good idea to keep it as treat, because protein quality is not
everything. Most of us won't get all the micro nutrients right in the
correct proportion.