PDA

View Full Version : How to Prevent Cat scratching Furniture-Help!

July 3rd 06, 06:04 AM
any tips on how to keep cats from scratching the sofa, chairs ect? mine
have been in this bad habit for awhile I dont want to use poisenous
chemicals.

bobblespin
July 3rd 06, 01:00 PM
wrote in news:[email protected]
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> any tips on how to keep cats from scratching the sofa, chairs ect? mine
> have been in this bad habit for awhile I dont want to use poisenous
> chemicals.

Put two-way sticky tape where the cat scratches. (It looks terrible, but
frayed furniture looks worse.) You must redirect the cat to a scratching
post every time and give it lots of praise and fussing while he is using
the right place to scratch. If they like catnip, spread some on the post.
If they've been doing it for a while, it will take a while to break the
habit I'm afraid. Our cat used to scratch the stairs, and we had to put
two-way tape on the edge of each step and it took a few months to cure him.

stepha via CatKB.com
July 3rd 06, 03:44 PM
wrote:
>any tips on how to keep cats from scratching the sofa, chairs ect? mine
>have been in this bad habit for awhile I dont want to use poisenous
>chemicals.

My cat was doing that also. I tried wrapping the bottom part of the sofa in
syran wrap, the two way tape but she would just go to another piece of
furniture. I finally found something at Target - CatScratcher. it is
corregated cardboard that you can put catnip on. It last for a long time -
I've had mine for 6 months and it was only $5. My cat is finally using this
and not the furniture.

- Stephanie

Winnifred
July 3rd 06, 03:45 PM
bobblespin wrote:
> wrote in news:[email protected]
> 75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>
> > any tips on how to keep cats from scratching the sofa, chairs ect? mine
> > have been in this bad habit for awhile I dont want to use poisenous
> > chemicals.
> >

> Put two-way sticky tape where the cat scratches. (It looks terrible, but
> frayed furniture looks worse.) You must redirect the cat to a scratching
> post every time and give it lots of praise and fussing while he is using
> the right place to scratch. If they like catnip, spread some on the post.
> If they've been doing it for a while, it will take a while to break the
> habit I'm afraid. Our cat used to scratch the stairs, and we had to put
> two-way tape on the edge of each step and it took a few months to cure him.

I've never heard of that method. I will try it. Thanks!