PDA

View Full Version : Ant Invasion!!!! Target: Cat Dish

Claude V. Lucas
July 3rd 06, 08:44 PM
Hi

There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble. In the past, he has shown
no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
or they enjoy the extra seasoning.

My question of the day is:

Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
to me, for that matter?

Thanks in advance...

Claude

Marcie
July 3rd 06, 08:58 PM
Hi Claude,

When I had this problem from time to time, I'd put the dish of food in
the middle a pan of water (water deters the ants). It's not an ideal
solution, because you have to change the water a lot because it gets
gungy, but it does work.

Marcie

Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> Hi
>
> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble. In the past, he has shown
> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>
> My question of the day is:
>
> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
> to me, for that matter?
>

> Thanks in advance...
>
> Claude

Kiran
July 3rd 06, 09:07 PM
Claude V. Lucas > wrote:

: Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
: ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
: to me, for that matter?

Have you tried raising the bowl 6-8 feet? Otherwise the water solution
suggested in the other post will work for sure. You need to change the
water once a day.

John Kimmel
July 3rd 06, 09:52 PM
Claude V. Lucas wrote:

> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
> to me, for that matter?
>

> Thanks in advance...
>
> Claude

I use stainless steel pet food bowls on a 4 legged rack. I put each leg
in a cap full of diatomaceous earth. It usually works.

--
John Kimmel

remove x

"He's dead, Jim."

Claude V. Lucas
July 3rd 06, 10:20 PM
In article m>,
Marcie > wrote:
>Hi Claude,
>
>When I had this problem from time to time, I'd put the dish of food in
>the middle a pan of water (water deters the ants). It's not an ideal
>solution, because you have to change the water a lot because it gets
>gungy, but it does work.
>
>Marcie

Great suggestion.

I'll give that a go until I can get rid of the ants...

Thanks much.

Claude

>Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
>> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
>> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble. In the past, he has shown
>> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
>> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
>> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
>> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
>> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
>> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
>> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
>> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
>> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>>
>> My question of the day is:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
>> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
>> to me, for that matter?
>>

>> Thanks in advance...
>>
>> Claude

Claude V. Lucas
July 3rd 06, 10:25 PM
In article >, Kiran <Nobody> wrote:
>Claude V. Lucas > wrote:
>
>: Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
>: ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
>: to me, for that matter?
>
>Have you tried raising the bowl 6-8 feet? Otherwise the water solution
>suggested in the other post will work for sure. You need to change the
>water once a day.

There's really no place to do that in the place I live.

At 25 lbs, Bubba is pretty much a ground kitty by his choice.

He's never shown any inclination to visit the higher spots.

He's never even jumped up on the kitchen counters...

There's a couple of less than 6-8 foot spots in the house that
he visits that I could put his food on but I'm reluctant to
invite the ants into other parts that they don't as yet seem
to be interested in.

I'm gonna try the pan of water trick too...

thanks, though

Claude

Claude V. Lucas
July 3rd 06, 10:28 PM
In article >,
John Kimmel > wrote:
>Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
>> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
>> to me, for that matter?
>>

>> Thanks in advance...
>>
>> Claude
>

>I use stainless steel pet food bowls on a 4 legged rack. I put each leg
>in a cap full of diatomaceous earth. It usually works.

That's something I'll consider too, if I can't find a way to get rid
of the ants....

thanks

Claude

Cheryl
July 4th 06, 01:02 AM
On Mon 03 Jul 2006 05:20:02p, Claude V. Lucas wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

> In article
> m>, Marcie
> > wrote:
>>Hi Claude,
>>
>>When I had this problem from time to time, I'd put the dish of
>>food in the middle a pan of water (water deters the ants). It's
>>not an ideal solution, because you have to change the water a
>>lot because it gets gungy, but it does work.
>>
>>Marcie
>
> Great suggestion.
>
> I'll give that a go until I can get rid of the ants...
>
> Thanks much.

I had an ant problem until I found out I also had a termite
problem. The ants were getting in the same way the termites were -
around the water main pipe. The termite treatment is also an ant
deterent, but even if you don't have a termite problem it might be
worth looking at where the water main enters your house.

In the meantime, here's a picture of an ant-proof pet dish to give
you an idea of the small size bowl you'd need to make your own - a
shallow stainless steel bowl with a ceramic bowl in the center of
it would work well. Also, try putting a drop or two of liquid dish
detergent in the water (Dawn is safe even if your kitty laps a
little of it until tasting the soap and goes "blech!") because that
breaks up the tension and they drown without being able to float to
the edge.

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=8411

--
Cheryl

Claude V. Lucas
July 4th 06, 01:34 AM
In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:
>On Mon 03 Jul 2006 05:20:02p, Claude V. Lucas wrote in
>rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

>> In article
>> m>, Marcie
>> > wrote:
>>>Hi Claude,
>>>
>>>When I had this problem from time to time, I'd put the dish of
>>>food in the middle a pan of water (water deters the ants). It's
>>>not an ideal solution, because you have to change the water a
>>>lot because it gets gungy, but it does work.
>>>
>>>Marcie
>>
>> Great suggestion.
>>
>> I'll give that a go until I can get rid of the ants...
>>
>> Thanks much.
>
>I had an ant problem until I found out I also had a termite
>problem. The ants were getting in the same way the termites were -
>around the water main pipe. The termite treatment is also an ant
>deterent, but even if you don't have a termite problem it might be
>worth looking at where the water main enters your house.

I'm pretty sure that I don't have termites.

I live in the desert and it's the time of year that ants seem
to come up out of the ground to avoid being flooded by the summer rains.

I hope its a sign that we are going to get some water this year.

>In the meantime, here's a picture of an ant-proof pet dish to give
>you an idea of the small size bowl you'd need to make your own - a
>shallow stainless steel bowl with a ceramic bowl in the center of
>it would work well. Also, try putting a drop or two of liquid dish
>detergent in the water (Dawn is safe even if your kitty laps a
>little of it until tasting the soap and goes "blech!") because that
>breaks up the tension and they drown without being able to float to
>the edge.
>
>http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=8411

Excellent.

I was going to put Bubba's food dish inside a cake pan and
fill it with water. That's pretty much the same deal, I think.

I'll add a bit of dish soap to the water too. I doubt if he'll
drink it. He's not much of a soap lover. :^)

thanks much

Claude

Kiran
July 4th 06, 01:35 AM

:
: There's really no place to do that in the place I live.
: At 25 lbs, Bubba is pretty much a ground kitty by his choice.

That was pretty stupid mistake on my oart. I meant 6-8 inches of
course. Not sure if it would deter the ants.

Joe Canuck
July 4th 06, 01:42 AM
Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> Hi
>
> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble. In the past, he has shown
> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>
> My question of the day is:
>
> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
> to me, for that matter?
>

> Thanks in advance...
>
> Claude

Until you figure out the ultimate method of ant murder, create a moat
for your cat dish so the ants will stay out of the cat food.

Do this by placing the cat food dish inside a larger dish. Fill the
larger dish with water, but not so full that it spills over into the
smaller dish... otherwise you end up with soggy kibble.

Actually, soggy kibble isn't a bad idea since your cat will ingest more
moisture which is a good thing... but I ramble.

Joe Canuck
July 4th 06, 01:43 AM
Marcie wrote:
> Hi Claude,
>
> When I had this problem from time to time, I'd put the dish of food in
> the middle a pan of water (water deters the ants). It's not an ideal
> solution, because you have to change the water a lot because it gets
> gungy, but it does work.

It doesn't need to be a pan. Kitty will think the staff are playing
tricks again... trying to get kitty wet. Tsk tsk tsk... :-D

> Marcie
>

> Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
>> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
>> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble. In the past, he has shown
>> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
>> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
>> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
>> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
>> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
>> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
>> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
>> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
>> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>>
>> My question of the day is:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
>> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
>> to me, for that matter?
>>

>> Thanks in advance...
>>
>> Claude

Joe Canuck
July 4th 06, 01:45 AM
Kiran wrote:
> Claude V. Lucas > wrote:
>
> : >Have you tried raising the bowl 6-8 feet? Otherwise the water solution
> : >suggested in the other post will work for sure. You need to change the
> : >water once a day.
> :
> : There's really no place to do that in the place I live.
> : At 25 lbs, Bubba is pretty much a ground kitty by his choice.
>
> That was pretty stupid mistake on my oart. I meant 6-8 inches of
> course. Not sure if it would deter the ants.

Ants climb walls... not sure even 6 - 8 FEET would work. :-D

Claude V. Lucas
July 4th 06, 02:24 AM
In article >,
Joe Canuck > wrote:
>Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
>> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
>> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble. In the past, he has shown
>> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
>> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
>> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
>> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
>> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
>> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
>> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
>> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
>> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>>
>> My question of the day is:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
>> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
>> to me, for that matter?
>>

>> Thanks in advance...
>>
>> Claude
>
>Until you figure out the ultimate method of ant murder, create a moat
>for your cat dish so the ants will stay out of the cat food.
>
>Do this by placing the cat food dish inside a larger dish. Fill the
>larger dish with water, but not so full that it spills over into the
>smaller dish... otherwise you end up with soggy kibble.
>
>Actually, soggy kibble isn't a bad idea since your cat will ingest more
>moisture which is a good thing... but I ramble.

A prior poster kindly added a URL for a neat moated food dish. I'm
gonna use a small cake pan I already have to do a similar construction.

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=8411

Bubba seems to be pretty good about drinking plenty of water. I usually
refill his water dispenser every other day and there's always a lot gone.

He has one of these, or something similar...

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=8246

Oddly enough, the ants seem to be leaving his water alone. I somehow
got the impression that this time of year in our area they were either
seeking moisture or fleeing the pending summer desert monsoons.

Hopefully the ant invasion is a sign of some upcoming rain. We need it.

Cheryl
July 4th 06, 02:47 AM
On Mon 03 Jul 2006 08:34:06p, Claude V. Lucas wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:44a9b77e$0$34510
):

> I was going to put Bubba's food dish inside a cake pan and
> fill it with water. That's pretty much the same deal, I think.
>
> I'll add a bit of dish soap to the water too. I doubt if he'll
> drink it. He's not much of a soap lover. :^)

One last thing: Since ants leave a scent trail, thoroughly clean the
floor around the bowls and any other spot you noticed ants.

Why your cat won't go eat ants is because they have a strong odor
themselves, and especially if they're crushed. We can't smell it, but
cats sure can.

--
Cheryl

Claude V. Lucas
July 4th 06, 03:02 AM
In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:
>On Mon 03 Jul 2006 08:34:06p, Claude V. Lucas wrote in
>rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:44a9b77e$0$34510
):

>> I was going to put Bubba's food dish inside a cake pan and
>> fill it with water. That's pretty much the same deal, I think.
>>
>> I'll add a bit of dish soap to the water too. I doubt if he'll
>> drink it. He's not much of a soap lover. :^)
>
>One last thing: Since ants leave a scent trail, thoroughly clean the
>floor around the bowls and any other spot you noticed ants.

Yeah. It helps keep them from finding their way back too.

>Why your cat won't go eat ants is because they have a strong odor
>themselves, and especially if they're crushed. We can't smell it, but
>cats sure can.

Yep. Plus they bite.

He got a couple on him last night and absolutely freaked out
until I found them all and got them off. In retrospect, I wish
I had a camcorder at hand. It was "Planet's Funniest Animals"
material for sure.

Not to Bubba, though.

-L.
July 4th 06, 07:34 AM
Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> Hi
>
> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble.

They are fat ants aka oil ants. They are seeking oil to eat.

> In the past, he has shown
> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>
> My question of the day is:
>
> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
> to me, for that matter?

You can kill the ants with a combination of dish detergent and water.
Flood the area and then sop it up - ants and all. You may have to
squish them in the process. You then need to find the opening from
which the ants are coming in, and block it. In our old house, they
came in around a window sill and I just caulked it better so they had
no entry.

-L.

22brix
July 4th 06, 04:11 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble. In the past, he has shown
> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>
> My question of the day is:
>
> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
> to me, for that matter?
>

> Thanks in advance...
>
> Claude

I've had this happen several times--usually in the spring. We also tried
the dish in the moat idea which helped but we also ended up cleaning the
floor around the cat dish a lot and I'd remove the bowl right away after
Clover ate and not put it back down until we fed him again. That way there
were no food particles around long enough to attract them. It's harder if
you free feed. The strange thing is that I feed him separately from my other
cats because he's fairly aggressive and the ants never seem to find the
other cat dishes. I would also feed him in a different area for a little if
they got too bad. Clover doesn't like ants either and will back away from
his dish! Probably tastes the formic acid!

Bonnie

Fat Freddy
July 4th 06, 04:27 PM
If you use the dish in a dish method, make sure the outside dish with
the water has sloping sides so if the inner food dish gets pushed to
the side, no part of the dish touches above the water where the ants
can get across. I like glass pie plates for the outer dishes.

Claude V. Lucas
July 4th 06, 05:12 PM
In article . com>,
-L. > wrote:

>Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
>> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
>> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble.
>
>They are fat ants aka oil ants. They are seeking oil to eat.
>
>> In the past, he has shown
>> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
>> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
>> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
>> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
>> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
>> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
>> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
>> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
>> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>>
>> My question of the day is:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
>> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
>> to me, for that matter?
>
>You can kill the ants with a combination of dish detergent and water.
>Flood the area and then sop it up - ants and all. You may have to
>squish them in the process. You then need to find the opening from
>which the ants are coming in, and block it. In our old house, they
>came in around a window sill and I just caulked it better so they had
>no entry.

Good thought. I've been doing that with a shot of Clorox chaser.

They're coming in from somewhere underneath the house and
since it's Black Widow (and worse) season I'm not going under
there to see where the ants are coming in....

All the neighbors are having ant problems too, FWIW.

:^)

Thanks

Claude

Claude V. Lucas
July 4th 06, 05:18 PM
In article >,
22brix > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
>> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
>> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble. In the past, he has shown
>> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
>> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
>> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
>> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
>> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
>> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
>> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
>> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
>> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>>
>> My question of the day is:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
>> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
>> to me, for that matter?
>>

>> Thanks in advance...
>>
>> Claude
>
>I've had this happen several times--usually in the spring. We also tried
>the dish in the moat idea which helped but we also ended up cleaning the
>floor around the cat dish a lot and I'd remove the bowl right away after
>Clover ate and not put it back down until we fed him again. That way there
>were no food particles around long enough to attract them. It's harder if
>you free feed. The strange thing is that I feed him separately from my other
>cats because he's fairly aggressive and the ants never seem to find the
>other cat dishes. I would also feed him in a different area for a little if
>they got too bad. Clover doesn't like ants either and will back away from
>his dish! Probably tastes the formic acid!

I've been picking up the dish when Bubba's done eating too.

I don't free feed him. He'd be 30 or 35 pounds by now if I
did that...

There's a lot less ants since I washed his feeding area down
with dish soap and bleach too.

Bubba hates the things. He's never had so much as a flea on
him before and was not at all happy when a couple of ants
jumped on his face from the bowl when they first showed up.

22brix
July 4th 06, 05:49 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> 22brix > wrote:
>>
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
>>> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
>>> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble. In the past, he has shown
>>> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
>>> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
>>> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
>>> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
>>> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
>>> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
>>> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
>>> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
>>> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>>>
>>> My question of the day is:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
>>> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
>>> to me, for that matter?
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance...
>>>
>>> Claude
>>
>>I've had this happen several times--usually in the spring. We also tried
>>the dish in the moat idea which helped but we also ended up cleaning the
>>floor around the cat dish a lot and I'd remove the bowl right away after
>>Clover ate and not put it back down until we fed him again. That way
>>there
>>were no food particles around long enough to attract them. It's harder if
>>you free feed. The strange thing is that I feed him separately from my
>>other
>>cats because he's fairly aggressive and the ants never seem to find the
>>other cat dishes. I would also feed him in a different area for a little
>>if
>>they got too bad. Clover doesn't like ants either and will back away from
>>his dish! Probably tastes the formic acid!
>>

> I've been picking up the dish when Bubba's done eating too.
>
> I don't free feed him. He'd be 30 or 35 pounds by now if I
> did that...
>
> There's a lot less ants since I washed his feeding area down
> with dish soap and bleach too.
>
> Bubba hates the things. He's never had so much as a flea on
> him before and was not at all happy when a couple of ants
> jumped on his face from the bowl when they first showed up.

Youch!! Clover is petrified of them and doesn't want to be in the same
room!! He's very suspicious of the moat around the dish, too. Sometimes
it's just easier to move the dish to another area. I'm lucky the ants just
seem to be in that one area.

Bonnie

Claude V. Lucas
July 4th 06, 05:56 PM
In article >,
22brix > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> 22brix > wrote:

>>>I've had this happen several times--usually in the spring. We also tried
>>>the dish in the moat idea which helped but we also ended up cleaning the
>>>floor around the cat dish a lot and I'd remove the bowl right away after
>>>Clover ate and not put it back down until we fed him again. That way
>>>there
>>>were no food particles around long enough to attract them. It's harder if
>>>you free feed. The strange thing is that I feed him separately from my
>>>other
>>>cats because he's fairly aggressive and the ants never seem to find the
>>>other cat dishes. I would also feed him in a different area for a little
>>>if
>>>they got too bad. Clover doesn't like ants either and will back away from
>>>his dish! Probably tastes the formic acid!
>>>

>> I've been picking up the dish when Bubba's done eating too.
>>
>> I don't free feed him. He'd be 30 or 35 pounds by now if I
>> did that...
>>
>> There's a lot less ants since I washed his feeding area down
>> with dish soap and bleach too.
>>
>> Bubba hates the things. He's never had so much as a flea on
>> him before and was not at all happy when a couple of ants
>> jumped on his face from the bowl when they first showed up.
>
>Youch!! Clover is petrified of them and doesn't want to be in the same
>room!! He's very suspicious of the moat around the dish, too. Sometimes
>it's just easier to move the dish to another area. I'm lucky the ants just
>seem to be in that one area.

Yeah. I'm glad they're only in one spot at my place so far.

That's one reason I'm reluctant to put food in other areas.

They're creepy. I've found a couple real ones crawling on me and
about a hundred that weren't really there. :^)

Today the ant count is way down so hopefully the ant army
is headed elsewhere.

22brix
July 4th 06, 06:24 PM

> Yeah. I'm glad they're only in one spot at my place so far.
>
> That's one reason I'm reluctant to put food in other areas.
>
> They're creepy. I've found a couple real ones crawling on me and
> about a hundred that weren't really there. :^)

LOL--I know how that is! I live in tick country and every time I find one
crawling on me I feel creepy crawly until I can't stand it and take a
shower!

> Today the ant count is way down so hopefully the ant army
> is headed elsewher

Good!! I found that if I kept the area clean, the ants would move on pretty
quickly. They'd come back periodically to check things but if there's no
food around they go hunting for more promising locales.

Have fun!

Bonnie

Claude V. Lucas
July 4th 06, 06:55 PM
In article >,
Fat Freddy > wrote:
>If you use the dish in a dish method, make sure the outside dish with
>the water has sloping sides so if the inner food dish gets pushed to
>the side, no part of the dish touches above the water where the ants
>can get across. I like glass pie plates for the outer dishes.

I'm gonna dose the water with dish soap too...

thanks

Claude

MaryL
July 6th 06, 09:38 AM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> Kiran wrote:
>> Claude V. Lucas > wrote:
>>
>> : >Have you tried raising the bowl 6-8 feet? Otherwise the water solution
>> : >suggested in the other post will work for sure. You need to change the
>> : >water once a day.
>> : : There's really no place to do that in the place I live. : At 25 lbs,
>> Bubba is pretty much a ground kitty by his choice. That was pretty stupid
>> mistake on my oart. I meant 6-8 inches of
>> course. Not sure if it would deter the ants.
>
> Ants climb walls... not sure even 6 - 8 FEET would work. :-D

It wouldn't. Ants (outdoors, fortunately) would climb the tall poles to get
to my pole-mounted bird feeders until I started to hang them from those
little ant moats filled with water.

MaryL

Grawun
July 6th 06, 05:40 PM
I have had problems with ants around the kitty dish too. I found that
if you sprinkle diatomaceous earth around on the floor and where you
think the ants might be coming in they will stay away. Looks like soft
harmless stuff to us but is sharp and jagged to ants.. I think it is
the same stuff used in pool filters.

22brix wrote:

> > Yeah. I'm glad they're only in one spot at my place so far.
> >
> > That's one reason I'm reluctant to put food in other areas.
> >
> > They're creepy. I've found a couple real ones crawling on me and
> > about a hundred that weren't really there. :^)
>
> LOL--I know how that is! I live in tick country and every time I find one
> crawling on me I feel creepy crawly until I can't stand it and take a
> shower!
> >
> > Today the ant count is way down so hopefully the ant army
> > is headed elsewhere
>
> Good!! I found that if I kept the area clean, the ants would move on pretty
> quickly. They'd come back periodically to check things but if there's no
> food around they go hunting for more promising locales.
>
> Have fun!
>
> Bonnie

Claude V. Lucas
July 6th 06, 05:55 PM
In article . com>,
Grawun > wrote:
>I have had problems with ants around the kitty dish too. I found that
>if you sprinkle diatomaceous earth around on the floor and where you
>think the ants might be coming in they will stay away. Looks like soft
>harmless stuff to us but is sharp and jagged to ants.. I think it is
>the same stuff used in pool filters.

Fortuately, the ant army seems to have moved on to easier pickings
before I needed to deploy any complicated countermeasures.

thanks to all, though.

Claude

>22brix wrote:
>> >
>> > Yeah. I'm glad they're only in one spot at my place so far.
>> >
>> > That's one reason I'm reluctant to put food in other areas.
>> >
>> > They're creepy. I've found a couple real ones crawling on me and
>> > about a hundred that weren't really there. :^)
>>
>> LOL--I know how that is! I live in tick country and every time I find one
>> crawling on me I feel creepy crawly until I can't stand it and take a
>> shower!
>> >
>> > Today the ant count is way down so hopefully the ant army
>> > is headed elsewhere
>>
>> Good!! I found that if I kept the area clean, the ants would move on pretty
>> quickly. They'd come back periodically to check things but if there's no
>> food around they go hunting for more promising locales.
>>
>> Have fun!
>>
>> Bonnie

MaryL
July 9th 06, 09:26 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble. In the past, he has shown
> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>
> My question of the day is:
>
> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
> to me, for that matter?
>

> Thanks in advance...
>
> Claude

The water bowl trick that several people mentioned seems to be the trick
that is most workable. I have also read (but have never tried it -- so, no
guarantees) that ants avoid an area that has been sprayed with vinegar. It
certainly can't hurt to try.

MaryL

Claude V. Lucas
July 9th 06, 12:52 PM
In article <[email protected]>,
MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
>> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
>> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble. In the past, he has shown
>> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
>> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
>> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
>> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
>> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
>> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
>> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
>> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
>> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>>
>> My question of the day is:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
>> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
>> to me, for that matter?
>>

>> Thanks in advance...
>>
>> Claude
>
>The water bowl trick that several people mentioned seems to be the trick
>that is most workable. I have also read (but have never tried it -- so, no
>guarantees) that ants avoid an area that has been sprayed with vinegar. It
>certainly can't hurt to try.
>
>MaryL

A shot or two of vinegar in the water can't hurt anything.

Good idea.

The ants seem to have gone elsewhere except for a few scouts
here and there, anyway...

Thanks

Claude

angel
July 9th 06, 01:30 PM
Claude V. Lucas wrote:

> A shot or two of vinegar in the water can't hurt anything.
>
> Good idea.
>
> The ants seem to have gone elsewhere except for a few scouts
> here and there, anyway...
>
> Thanks
>

> Claude

I thought cats liked to eat ants and moths and bugs and crickets

22brix
July 9th 06, 06:33 PM
"angel" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>
>> A shot or two of vinegar in the water can't hurt anything.
>>
>> Good idea.
>>
>> The ants seem to have gone elsewhere except for a few scouts
>> here and there, anyway...
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> Claude
>
> I thought cats liked to eat ants and moths and bugs and crickets

My cats act like they're afraid of ants--don't if it's the taste or if
they're being bit by them. They hunt the others with gleeful abandon,
including spiders and they crunch them down like potato chips--you can't eat
just one!

Bonnie

angel
July 9th 06, 09:32 PM
22brix wrote:
> "angel" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> >
> >> A shot or two of vinegar in the water can't hurt anything.
> >>
> >> Good idea.
> >>
> >> The ants seem to have gone elsewhere except for a few scouts
> >> here and there, anyway...
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> >> Claude
> >
> > I thought cats liked to eat ants and moths and bugs and crickets
>
> My cats act like they're afraid of ants--don't if it's the taste or if
> they're being bit by them. They hunt the others with gleeful abandon,
> including spiders and they crunch them down like potato chips--you can't eat
> just one!
>
> Bonnie

my former cat loved ants, he looked like an ant-eater dobbing them up
with his tongue, his tongue would leave a little dime size wet spot on
the floor after each take

22brix
July 10th 06, 12:06 AM
"angel" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> 22brix wrote:
>> "angel" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > I thought cats liked to eat ants and moths and bugs and crickets
>>
>> My cats act like they're afraid of ants--don't if it's the taste or if
>> they're being bit by them. They hunt the others with gleeful abandon,
>> including spiders and they crunch them down like potato chips--you can't
>> eat
>> just one!
>>
>> Bonnie
>
> my former cat loved ants, he looked like an ant-eater dobbing them up
> with his tongue, his tongue would leave a little dime size wet spot on
> the floor after each take

That's hilarious!! I fear mine are a bit more cautious! It would certainly
help control any ant problems if they'd only try!

Claude V. Lucas
July 10th 06, 12:41 AM
In article . com>,
angel > wrote:

>22brix wrote:
>> "angel" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > I thought cats liked to eat ants and moths and bugs and crickets
>>
>> My cats act like they're afraid of ants--don't if it's the taste or if
>> they're being bit by them. They hunt the others with gleeful abandon,
>> including spiders and they crunch them down like potato chips--you can't eat
>> just one!
>>
>> Bonnie
>
>my former cat loved ants, he looked like an ant-eater dobbing them up
>with his tongue, his tongue would leave a little dime size wet spot on
>the floor after each take

If Bubba would do that then I would have a self-solving problem.

:^)

Claude V. Lucas
July 10th 06, 08:13 AM
In article om>,
Deeanna > wrote:
>Hi Claude!
>We also had this problem and no matter where I put the dishes, the darn
>ants found the food. We finally bought some outdoor ant killer in a
>pellet-like form and put it right up against the outside of the house
>on all sides. It worked like a charm and we never had the problem
>again. I prefer the bagged stuff to the spray because if there is even
>the slightest wind, it can blow into your face if not careful. I
>cannot remember the name of it but it is in a red foil bag and we
>bought it at either Home Depot or Lowe's. Now, though, we have Wayne's
>Environmental come out and spray for several pests quarterly.

Hi

Fortunately the ants apparently have decided to go elsewhere
before I had to resort to chemical warfare...

Claude

>Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> There has been a recent invasion of small red ants at my place
>> and for some strange reason they have developed a liking for
>> Bubba's Royal Canin Maine Coon kibble. In the past, he has shown
>> no signs of being a picky eater, but he seems to have drawn the
>> line at consuming ants, which probably aren't a necessary part
>> of a healthy diet for cats anyway. I've considered putting out
>> a separate dish for the ants, but they probably would not restrict
>> themselves to "their" dish. I *did* put out a few ant baits in
>> the area where they would be in the ant's path in and out but not
>> where they would be interesting to Bubba. I also have put out a few
>> chipotle sauce barriers, but the ants seem to either find a way around
>> or they enjoy the extra seasoning.
>>
>> My question of the day is:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a reliable way to discourage/kill off the
>> ants that would not pose any sort of toxic hazard to Bubba or
>> to me, for that matter?
>>

>> Thanks in advance...
>>
>> Claude

angel
July 10th 06, 03:03 PM
Claude V. Lucas wrote:

> Fortunately the ants apparently have decided to go elsewhere
> before I had to resort to chemical warfare...

haha

one time, out of interest (and mild boredom)
I put a nice size mound of sugar outside, then added water to make it
gooey

WOW! every ant within a mile was on that sugar pile
amazing! their buts swell up and turn clear, this is how they tote
booty

I didn't kill them (I had thought about setting them on fire
w/magnifying glass) but my objective was to lewer them back outside,
worked like a charm