PDA

View Full Version : Is he too big?


ceb2
July 5th 06, 08:26 PM
This is our two year old tuxedo:

http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/9373/im0019220vj.jpg

He weighs about 20 - 22 lbs, is an indoor cat who shares our house with
two other cats, a Pomeranian, and an Australian Sheppard. All three
cats get about a third of a dish of low cal, low fat science diet every
day. He gets about as much execize as you would expect an indoor cat to
get while also sometimes having to run from a very playful Aussie. He
looks extremely fat, but he's also quite long and very long. He can fit
just about everywhere the other two and there are only a few places
they can jump that he can't. We occassionally place the other two cats'
food too high for him. He's a great cat, lots of personality and maybe
the best behaved of all the pets. Just want to make sure he's around as
long as possible.

Katia
July 5th 06, 09:01 PM
Have you had the cat checked out by a vet? Urinary track problems and
Diabetes can both be assoiciated with overweight. He sounds fine, but
for life span dropping about 6 pounds would most likely increase his
life span.
ceb2 wrote:

ceb2
July 5th 06, 09:07 PM
Katia wrote:
> Have you had the cat checked out by a vet? Urinary track problems and
> Diabetes can both be assoiciated with overweight. He sounds fine, but
> for life span dropping about 6 pounds would most likely increase his
> life span.
> ceb2 wrote:

Yeah, he saw the vet not long ago, who was concerned but not overly so.
He isn't obese as he appears to be. He's also extremely fuzzy.

Toni
July 5th 06, 10:09 PM
"ceb2" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This is our two year old tuxedo:
>
> http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/9373/im0019220vj.jpg
>
> He weighs about 20 - 22 lbs, is an indoor cat who shares our house with
> two other cats, a Pomeranian, and an Australian Sheppard.



Since you asked, yes, i think he is too heavy. I would definitely increase
his exercise via individual play sessions two or three times a day.


--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Matthew
July 5th 06, 10:46 PM
Is he part Maine coon if he is he is about the right weight for them.

At any vets office there is a chart on how to observe a cat is overweight by
body style.

If your vet was not to worried about it and you trust him. Just ask him
next time it is a simple matter nothing that you need to jump at the phone
or in a cat this minute


IMO it does look like he is a little over weight and could lose a few
pounds but I am not a vet neither is anyone else here in the group


"ceb2" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>
> Katia wrote:
>> Have you had the cat checked out by a vet? Urinary track problems and
>> Diabetes can both be assoiciated with overweight. He sounds fine, but
>> for life span dropping about 6 pounds would most likely increase his
>> life span.
>> ceb2 wrote:
>
> Yeah, he saw the vet not long ago, who was concerned but not overly so.
> He isn't obese as he appears to be. He's also extremely fuzzy.
>

Matthew
July 5th 06, 10:48 PM
sorry should have read in a car