PDA

View Full Version : anal gland issues.... can anyone shed some light?

Sharkman BMW
July 6th 06, 12:48 AM
I have 2 cats, a boy and a girl, about 7 years old.
The girl is fine, but the boy is stinky as soon as you get close to his
private part area!
I don't make a habit of sniffing him there, but when he rubbed up on me
recently, I couldn't help but notice, and was shocked at the smell.

Is this normal?
Is it a boy / girl thing?

He is very clean in every way, so that is not the issue...

He just has a smelly bum!

Input is appreciated - THANKS

Sharkman BMW
July 6th 06, 12:55 AM
he often twitches his tail and bum in fast little bursts as well, but NEVER
rubs his butt on the floor or licks any more than my other cat.

Spot
July 6th 06, 01:03 AM
Anal glands will get plugged up and cause an infection. It sounds like they
are not expelling properly when he goes to the bathroom. You need to take
him to the vet and have him checked and have the vet show you the proper way
to expell them yourself.

My oldest cat gets this way sometimes and I have to expell his. It's not
often with him about once every 3 months or so I have to take care of it.

Celeste
"Sharkman BMW" > wrote in message
> he often twitches his tail and bum in fast little bursts as well, but
> NEVER rubs his butt on the floor or licks any more than my other cat.

friesian@zoocrewphoto.com
July 6th 06, 07:08 AM
Sharkman BMW wrote:
> I have 2 cats, a boy and a girl, about 7 years old.
> The girl is fine, but the boy is stinky as soon as you get close to his
> private part area!
> I don't make a habit of sniffing him there, but when he rubbed up on me
> recently, I couldn't help but notice, and was shocked at the smell.
>
> Is this normal?
> Is it a boy / girl thing?

Kira had this problem many years ago. She was fussing with herself, so
I went to look, and white stuff came out. It stunk horribly. I took her
to the vet the next morning, and they were able to express the glands.

There are different causes for this problem. If they mess with
themselves too much, it can cause inflamation which will block the anal
glands. In her case, she had worms and was probably fussing because of
that. He actually found a worm segment in the stuff he expressed. So,
we got worming pills for everybody.

My vet said that some cats will have problems frequently, and if they
do, they can actually remove the glands, but it wasn't something to
consider unless it happened a lot. She is 12 years old, and only had
one other time that might have been an anal gland problem. She smelled
bad, and I thought it was the same smell. But when I checked her in the
morning, she didn't stink anymore, and didn't ever again.

None of my other cats have had a problem. We did have one dog that
needed to have the vet express the glands a few times.

I would take your kitty to the vet and have them expressed. He can see
if there is anything wrong that needs to be treated.